Hesitant Kisses

Smudged Reflection

Not much changed when Sungyeol and Sungjong got together, even in the second week they still spoke the exact same way to each other, and joked around just as they had beforehand. They still had their couple lunches every other day, and when they visited each other it’d be to watch movie marathons or badly sing to the tunes playing from their portable stereos.

There wasn’t any major difference, but Sungjong didn’t mind, because he knew Sungyeol liked him and that was perfect enough for him already.

Hoya reasoned it’s because they already acted like a couple before they got together.

But Woohyun had other opinions.

“I can’t believe you two still haven’t kissed yet.” He spoke.

Sungyeol was currently busy trying to catch up on maths work, and Hoya and Dongwoo had gone off to do who knows what. So Woohyun thought it was a splendid time to lecture Sungjong over the lunch table while they were alone.

Sungjong really didn’t see a problem and he let out a deep sigh, as he slumped forwards on the table, already dreading Woohyun’s rant. “So?” he replied nonchalantly.

“So, you should probably fix that.”

“Sungyeol kisses me on the cheek sometimes.” Sungjong defended himself.

Woohyun let out a scoff. “You two really need to go on a date.”

“He comes to my house-”

“A real date.” Woohyun repeated.

So here Sungjong was sitting on an empty park bench waiting for his boyfriend to arrive. He glanced around while he fished in his pocket for his phone to check the time, once he pulled it out and unlocked it; the phone read 11:19am. Sungyeol was nearly 20 minutes late, but Sungjong didn’t mind all that much, it gave him some time to think.

He thought back to when him and Sungyeol first got together, remembering how he had been somewhat awkward over the whole ordeal at first. If Sungyeol reached for his hand when they walked home together, Sungjong would shrug it away, worried in case someone spotted them. Even under the desk in lessons, Sungjong would do the exact same thing, even when Sungyeol insisted no one would care. Sungjong wouldn’t have any public displays of affection, so they continued to act as they had beforehand.  

It took Sungjong a week to finally gain some confidence and forget about the issue, and eventually one day when they walked home side by side, Sungjong tentatively laced his hand with Sungyeol’s, to his surprise. And when Sungyeol dropped him back at home, Sungjong even let the other give a quick kiss to his cheek, before he continued on his way.

It was that same week they finally told the others they were dating. Then Sungjong became less afraid to show his feelings for Sungyeol in front of people due to the acceptance of his friends.

But he guesses that’s why Sungyeol still hadn’t kissed him now; he was worried if Sungjong would not like it, just like he didn’t at first.

Maybe he wanted Sungjong to initiate it when he was ready, like before. 

Suddenly Sungjong felt two hands press forcefully on to his shoulders.

“Boo!”

Sungjong twitched, letting out a little shriek, and then whipped his head around to stare at the culprit. Who was none other than his laughing boyfriend. Sungjong just gave him a stern frown.

“I’m sorry! You looked totally zoned out, it was perfect timing for a quick prank.” Sungyeol tried to calm down his giggles.

“I think you should be apologising for being late.” The younger replied.

Sungyeol looked at his phone to check the time before looking to Sungjong apologetically. “Oh , yeah, I’m really sorry.”

Sungjong shrugged, and Sungyeol walked to the front him, he was stilling sitting comfortably on the bench, but at least now he didn’t have to crane his next. “When you say we’ll meet at eleven, I know to expect you there for half past by now.”

“You know me well.” Sungyeol smiled, and reached out his hand for Sungjong.

Sungjong grabbed Sungyeol’s hand, using it to pull himself up, but he never let go and just let their fingers twine together, like they were so used to doing now.

“So what did you have planned? You were the one who texted me inviting me out here.”

 Sungjong didn’t dare say Woohyun was actually the one who stole his phone to send that text, asking him on a date.

“Actually-” Sungjong gestured to the wicker basket, which had lay next to him on the bench. “I was thinking we could go for a picnic.” Sungjong suggested.

Sungyeol’s face brightened up at the mention of food. “Sounds great!” He reached over and grabbed the basket off the worn bench to carry it for Sungjong. They started on their stroll to find a pleasant place to enjoy lunch.

Walking along the path while spying out a good place to sit didn’t go as well as planned because soon enough, a play park came into sight and Sungyeol was just begging for a quick go on the swings, and before Sungjong answered the taller had begun dashing towards the entrance, hand still clinging onto Sungjong who was also forced to run with him.

Sungjong wondered about the mental age of his boyfriend. Deciding next time he was staying over they’d take mental age quizzes online to confirm that Sungjong was secretly five years old at heart.

“I’ll push you.” Sungyeol suddenly said when they neared the swing set, Sungjong couldn’t say no to that bright grin Sungyeol had, so he sat down on the shabby plastic seat, and Sungyeol pulled the chains back, before letting go to let Sungjong swing forward slowly.

“Faster!” he called.

“Alright princess.” Sungyeol laughed and began to push Sungjong harder, making him fly forward faster and higher. He continued until they set a steady pace. Then Sungyeol stopped and got on the stray swing beside Sungjong.

“I bet you I could go higher.” Sungyeol shouted once he started to catch up to Sungjong’s speed.

“You’re on.” The other replied cockily.

Both of them soared through the sky enjoying the warm noon air lashing at their hair, and inhaling it in their lungs and they laughed ferociously at each other. Sungjong believed they should do this more often.

When they decided to get off, Sungyeol bravely jumped from the moving swing, sending him flying forward and landing on both of his feet. Sungjong tried the same thing, but was less successful and ended up tripping. Luckily Sungyeol ran forward to catch him cradling his body in his arms.

“You okay?” He laughed and Sungjong blushed at the close proximity, but wound his skinny arms around Sungyeol anyway.

“Thanks.”

“No problem. Anyway, I’m starving; let’s go have that picnic now, shall we?” He suggested, picking the basket back up and following the path.

 

They’d been walking for a while, they didn’t really notice because they were both caught up in their conversations, either talking about their week and school, and how Hoya was a , when unexpectedly.

“Isn’t that your brother?” Sungyeol suddenly raised his hand to point at two guys around their age sitting in the grass. Sungjong focused on them and confirmed it was in fact his twin brother, who was lounging mindlessly on the grass with his friend, Jonghyun. Then Sungjong’s gaze traced down to their interlaced hands and realisation sunk in.

“Shall we go over?” Sunyeol suggested but Sungjong just shook his head with a smirk, finally he had some blackmail material, he’d be sure to tease Taemin about this later tonight.

“No.” Sungjong replied nonchalantly.

When they finally found a deserted place to sit, Sungyeol couldn’t be more relieved and quickly began to set up a checkered picnic blanket and the cutlery. Sungjong took a quick glance around the area, spotting little daises dotted around in the lush grass, there was a big swaying tree that gave them a circle of shade to relax in, and the only sound was of the soft wind and small bird chirping away in the high branches of the tree. He decided it was worth all the walking.

While Sungyeol was placing out the paper plates, Sungjong absentmindedly stuck his hand into the picnic basket and snatched a sandwich from one of the plastic containers. He started to munch on it while he watched his boyfriend do all the work and he lounged with his back against the tree trunk

Sungyeol looked up, his face in complete wonder, and astonishment.

“What?” Sungjong quested, brushing his hand across his cheek, worried in case he had crumbs on his face.

“You just took the sandwich and ate it like it was nothing.” Sungyeol replied, with a bright smile, as he edged closer towards Sungjong, after he finished setting up.

Sungjong processed the thought, and even he was surprised at his action. “I did, didn’t I?” He answered with a similar smile.

“I’m so proud of how far you’ve come Sungjong, it’s truly amazing and I’m so proud of you, I just-”

“Just what?”

Sungyeol looked hesitantly at the grass before speaking carefully. “Can I kiss you?” He looked up expectantly.

Not knowing how to reply, Sungjong slowly nodded his head, and the taller of the two took a deep breath before leaning forward warily.

Their noses bumped together and it was a little awkward, but when their lips sealed together, Sungjong’s stomach filled with butterflies and his head became light. He kissed back against Sungyeol’s soft lips, letting the emotions flow over him. Sungyeol was warm and pleasant, and Sungjong believed this was perfect.

When they broke apart, Sungjong looked into Sungyeol’s droopy eyes, and bit his lips from the overwhelming feelings of love that were exploding in his chest. Sungyeol was blushing and he looked just as blissful as the other.

“Let’s eat.” Sungyeol chuckled 

 


A/N: hi my fellow readers ;w; !! I tried to make this as fluffy as possible I hope you enjoyed it!! sorry if this took a while to come out, I tried my best, but I have mass amounts of homework now I'm in college

thank you so much to all the sweet commenters last chapter <3 comments make me super happy!

Infinite are coming to london soon so I really hope I can gooo!

next chapter will be the last chapter, and it's going to be rated m, so if you don't enjoy , I'm sorry and I hope this was a good enough end to the fanfic c: 

-Sydney