Troubling Realisation

Smudged Reflection

Months passed and Sungyeol couldn’t help but notice a major change in Sungjong, at first when people asked him what was up he’d just shrug it off and throw excuses around saying he was tired or wasn’t feeling too good that day, but as the weeks went past it wasn’t just his mood that was off, but his body started to dramatically lose weight, to the point where now he was almost skeleton like. His friends knew something was wrong, but no-one seemed to be able to get through to Sungjong and find out what the problem was. But Sungyeol was determined.

He strode his way to school, past familiar landmarks that went unseen as his mind was filled with constant worries about his best friend, as always. He hated to see his once bubbly, fun friend like this, and he would do anything to reach out to Sungjong and rid him of his troubles, he didn’t care what it’d take, he’d find a way.

It didn’t take long for him to reach his school building, going to where he knew his friend would be sitting. He slung his bag onto the table with a little extra force, eyebrows knitted together sternly as he was still lost in his thoughts.

“Woah, calm down you could have knocked one of us out.” Hoya commented while raising his hands as though in surrender.

“I think it’d take a lot more than a bag to knock that thick skull of yours out.” Sungyeol countered.

“What’s got your in a bunch?” Woohyun chuckled.

“Nothing.” Sungyeol sighed, plopping himself down on the uncomfortable plastic chair.

“You’re starting to sound like Sungjong.” Dongwoo said innocently, but everyone quickly silenced themselves, at the awkward remark, until Dongwoo whispered out “Sorry.”

“And here’s cutie Sungjong.” Woohyun called with a little less enthusiasm, and everyone turned in the direction to peer at their friend.

As Sungjong neared the familiar worn out table that they were all sat around, Sungyeol’s face lost its cheerful smile as he took in Sungjong’s features close up.

His face no longer had a bright shine to it, it was sickly and pale, and his once nicely outlined face now had hollow cheeks and a rough jaw. His hair was dull and dry, but worst of all his pretty almond eyes had lost all their innocent shine, they were dull and lifeless windows to all the dark thoughts that Sungjong was having, now outlined by dark, circles from lack of sleep.

Sungjong carefully sat next to Sungyeol and gave a forced a smile, which only made Sungyeol’s heart break more. Each day he looked worse, and it filled Sungyeol with endless worry.

“Hey Jongie.” Dongwoo greeted and Sungyeol watched as Sungjong shakily lifted a stick thin hand to wave.

“Hey guys, how is everyone?” he asked with strained interest.

“Well, Sungyeol hasn’t had any more wacky people mistaking him for their girlfriend that’s for sure.” Hoya remarked and Sungyeol pouted.

“Thankfully that is! It was awkward as hell!” he whined.

“You probably loved it.” Dongwoo pointed out.

“Actually, we were thinking we haven’t all been out in a while, so we were just discussing plans to head to a cafe this weekend. Then we could go sit in the park and talk, you up for it?” Woohyun questioned Sungjong.

“Woohyun only wants to do the park bit so he can spy on any y girls.”

“If I wanted a girl I could easily charm them, I’m not some sort of animal looking for their pray.” He replied.

Sungyeol watched as Sungjong chewed on his cracked lower lip, as though he was in deep thought before he let out a croaked, “I guess that’ll be fine.”

“Yeah, we can all get bubble tea!” Dongwoo cheered.

Sungyeol decided he might be able to make a crack in Sungjong’s well built up wall that day.

 

When the day finally came, Sungyeol was packing whatever spare change he could find laying around the room, while frantically trying to get changed at the same time.

He had heard the alarm signalling it was probably about time he should wake his lazy up, but in his tired hazy state, he’d just done the usual and thrown it to wall, and gone back to sleep.

But when he woke up about 40 minutes later, he remembered that he had just recently stopped using his annoying alarm and switched it to his new phone, and cringed as he saw said new phone, thrown half way across the room with a huge crack down the screen. Then he only started to get more panicked when he realised the time, jumping up to get ready.

Sungyeol was really excited to be hanging out with his friends outside of school for once,  making him a little giddy, also the fact he’d be able to see Sungjong, who even though was a little off, Sungyeol still enjoyed the shorter boys company no matter what. So eventually when he arrived he greeted them all with a bright grin and gave them a quick hug except for Hoya who was tapping his foot impatiently.

“Well are you guys ready to get going?” Woohyun started, beginning to make his way inside the cafe they had all decided to meet outside of. Dongwoo gave a cheer and everyone followed closely behind.

Sungyeol turned to look at Sungjong who was wearing the cutest sweater, he admitted, before speaking up. “What are you going to buy?”

“Ah, I don’t really want anything.” He admitted. Instantly a frown formed on Sungyeol’s features.

“Are you sure, I don’t mind treating you.”

This wasn’t the first time Sungjong had declined food off any of the group. When they started to notice that Sungjong wasn’t eating at lunch, Dongwoo would always offer him some of his food, Woohyun would question why he wasn’t eating, Sungyeol would feel guilty and offer to buy him something, but it got the point where Sungjong felt so uncomfortable with them pestering, he’d avoid them at lunch, to sit in the library, when they realised the problem they stopped asking all together, but they were still filled with worry for their friend.

Sungjong started to look nervous. “I’m not hungr-” he tried to say but his stomach let out a painfully loud gurgle, and Sungjong’s face flushed with embarrassment. Sungyeol just gave him a surprised look before quirking an eyebrow at him.

“Clearly your stomach disagrees.”

“Fine, I’ll have some water.” Sungjong pouted, hoping Sungyeol would just give up.

“That’s not really something I had in mind Jongie.” Sungyeol was disappointed; he decided to look at the menu with some thought before turning back to the flustered male next to him. “How about I just get two pieces of toast? We can have one each, I’ve already eaten you see.” He lied, but he hoped that Sungjong would accept. “I’ll get you that water too.”

Sungjong gave a short nod and turned away to look out for a table they could all sit at. When it was their turn to be served, Sungyeol grabbed a hold of Sungjong’s arm to catch his attention and bring him forward, but it caught Sungyeol off guard at how stick thin his arm was.  Of course Sungyeol knew he’d been losing weight, but because of the school uniform and thick clothes Sungyeol usually only saw him wearing clothes that covered the majority on his body, he never really realised the extent of how skinny Sungjong actually was, and this was only his arm.

“O-ow” Sungjong yelped out and Sungyeol released his hold.

“Sorry, i-it’s us next.” He awkwardly pointed out, and they both stepped forward so Sungyeol could place the order.

Once they were sat with their usual chums, they all began to enjoy their snacks and chat, and when Sungyeol finished his toast, he noticed that Sungjong hadn’t even nibbled at the other slice. He took a deep sigh.

“Do you want jam on yours Sungjong?” he asked, hoping Sungjong would take the hint that he wasn’t going to give up anytime soon.

“Oh um, sure.” Sungjong replied with uncertainty, and Sungyeol decided to spread the sweet jam onto the piece of bread. Hoya, Dongwoo and Woohyun were lost in their own conversation, when Sungyeol passed the plate to Sungjong, insisting he take it.

“Didn’t I tell you I wasn’t hungry...?” Sungjong joked, but when he saw Sungyeol was having none of it, he reluctantly took the plate from him.

Sungyeol watched as Sunjong had a stare down with a piece of bread as though it was about to kill him. Sungyeol decided he’d be nice today. “If you’re not hungry, then how about just one bite? Come on, it’s really tasty.” He tried.

After a minute, Sungjong let out a belated breath, and hesitantly picked up the piece of toast, bringing it slowly to his lips. He tentatively poked his tongue before taking what could only be known as a nibble from the corner. Sungyeol could see him grimace and not once had he ever seen someone so disgusted by a piece of bread. He begrudgingly swallowed, but then gagged painfully on the small bite, and rushed to throw the plate down and snatch his glass of water, downing it all in a second.

And that was all it took for Sungyeol to confirm something was extremely wrong with Sungjong’s eating habits. 

 


A/N: so we finally get to see something from Sungyeol pov c: and alot of you guys are hoping that Sungyeol will start to help soon... there is still more angst to come sadly but don't worry soooooon

I hope you've enjoyed this chapter, comments and feedback are much loved! <3 Thankyou for all your lovely comments and the new subscribers /smooches your faces

please look forward to the next chapter! it will also be from Yeol pov too! 

also did you all see Sungyeol with his poofy hair the other day, oh gosh I think my heart melted ;w; waaah 

-Sydney