Positive Improvements

Smudged Reflection

“Come on Sungjong.” Sungyeol pleaded. “Just one more bite.”

The two of them were sat at a separate lunch table, off in the corner of the bustling main hall of their school. It was a table that they both seemed to become more accustomed to now.

Sungjong stared down at his lunch box and noticed that he’d nearly finished what was once a full portion of rice, although he had left a few stray bits of chicken and pieces from the side dishes, Sungyeol had persuaded him to mainly focus on eating the rice and not worrying about the other stuff too much.

The continuous pleased words from Sungyeol as he ate more and more each week willed Sungjong to keep on trying, and now he was tempted to actually finish the meal in front of him. With a moment of hesitation, he took a deep breath before eating another scoop. He wasn’t completely full, he could achieve this.

A while back Sungyeol told Sungjong to only bring very small portion sizes and they would work themselves up, so he wouldn’t be intimidated by huge plates overflowing with various foods. But one thing Sungjong had been afraid of was the feeling of being full. So Sungyeol could not get him to eat the whole plate even with tiny portion size, worried that he’d be feeling bloated and heavy if he did. So they made barely any progress for weeks and when Sungyeol found out about the problem, he was quick to assist and told Sungjong countless times to not be worried about the feeling of being full up, it was natural and it was a way of your body telling you it was satisfied. Surely he took the advice in the end and they slowly got started on increasing the sizes of the portions, like the original plan was.

Sungjong could see now that a lot of things had changed, and he was thankful for Sungyeol’s help. A small smile tugged at the corners of his lips, before he was snapped out his thoughts by a loud voice.

“You’re so close, just got to conquer this one final leap!” Sungyeol continued to encourage him.  Sungyeol could see Sungjong start to flick the grains of rice with the end of his fork and he tutted. “Sungjong, don’t think about it too much, just eat it and enjoy it.” He cheered out like some sort of eating coach.

“I can do it. I’ll do it, stop pestering!” Sungjong chuckled playfully back as he picked up the last few grains of rice and ate them easily. Both of their faces lightened up and Sungyeol almost let out a squeal at how happy he was with his friend.

“Sungjong, wow okay- oh my god I should have prepared a speech for this moment.” Sungyeol ruffled the others hair playfully. “I feel like a proud dad.”

Sungjong just laughed at his friends silly antics, although he felt warm and comforted from his the words even if he was just joking around. “Please don’t start crying.” Sungjong whined.

Sungyeol pretended to wipe at a few tears, grin plastered to his face as he started speaking “But Seriously Jong, I’m really proud of you, you’ve tried so hard, and I know it must have been real rough especially since you’ve had me helping, and let me just admit I’m not the greatest person for situations like this-”

“Don’t worry.” Sungjong interrupted but Sungyeol kept speaking.

“But I am pretty great, you got to admit. But amazingly you’ve come so far and you’re eating real sized portions now and you’re not anxious over food anymore.  You’re gaining weight again too.” Sungyeol finished his praise but the last words made Sungjong become tense.

Gaining weight.

Weight was still a touchy subject for Sungjong, and although Sungyeol had made many comments about him being extremely skinny, he still had constant worries about his image and size. He remembered the day when he was crying on Yeol’s bed finally telling him his thoughts about how fat he believed he was. Though he hadn’t truthfully told Sungyeol everything about it, he assumed Sungyeol was curious, as there was many things left unanswered, but he assumed the other didn’t want to push Sungjong too far, he knew how hard it was to gain Sungjong’s trust and he didn’t want to ruin it by asking one too many questions.

Sungjong guessed it was now or never to fess up the reasons behind his dislike for himself, and seeing as though Sungyeol had brought up weight it shouldn’t be too hard to say the truth now.

But just as Sungjong was about to speak up, a shrill bell rang out in the hall and students piled to get out of the building and to their forms. Sungyeol was standing now, but before he could stride away Sungjong clasped his hand around Sungyeol’s wrist.

“Wait, Yeol.” He shouted over the hustle of chairs scratching against the floor as others around them stood up. “Do you want to stay over at mine this Saturday?”

Sungyeol’s face lightened up once more and he gave an over enthusiastic nod, before leaving with a wave.

 

When the weekend came, Sungjong was lazily straightening up his bed, removing the odd wrinkle of fabric from the sheets then fluffing up the pillows while he waited for Sungyeol to arrive. He was just about to go back to tidying his desk when he heard the doorbell chiming through the halls. He rushed downstairs to get to it before Taemin would; Sungjong assumed he would probably say something embarrassing, now that his brother had confirmed the suspicion of who his crush was.

He pulled open the door swiftly and was greeted by a bright gummy grin, which Sungjong returned as he opened the door further for his friend to enter while greeting him.

“It’s been so long since I’ve been to your place.” Sungyeol exclaimed, as he handed a plastic bag to Sungjong. Sungjong took it with a questioning look. “Oh it’s just some snacks and such, my mum said it’d be rude not to bring anything.” Sungyeol explained.

“Thanks, I’m sure we’ll enjoy these later.” Sungjong suggested, before going to place them on the kitchen counter, and returning back to his guest who was now removing his worn out sneakers and placing them with the other stacked up shoes.

As Sungjong watched he felt the familiar happiness radiating through his chest whenever he was with Sungyeol, the feeling was so strong that it was stupid to have thought that he could have ever stopped his feelings for Sungyeol.  He admired his crushes attractive features when he was concentrating on a task, his eyes focused and lips tugged into a straight line.

“Come on let’s go upstairs.” Sungjong called, leading the way to his room.

They entered together and suddenly Sungyeol shouted “How is your room so tidy? Is it even possible to have a room this clean?” He was now pacing around the room familiarising himself with it, it’d changed a lot since the last time he had been there. “Awh you no longer have that really cool remote control helicopter we used to play with.” Sungyeol pouted with disappointment as he placed his bags down in the corner of the room.

“It’s usually this clean anyway.” Sungjong just shrugged off. “And you smashed it into the wall so many times it stopped working.”

Sungyeol gave him a suspicious look but went straight to a rack of DVD’s that were lined up, flicking through them. Sungjong goes over to join him. They choose a movie together, while Sungyeol makes little comments about Sungjong’s weird movie tastes. They settle on a typical action one filled with explosions just as they had in Sungyeol’s house. They decide they’ll watch some horror ones later on, they doubt they’ll get much sleep tonight anyway.

They relax on the bed, sprawled out together, as they watched the flashing screen. Sungjong is only half listening to the story as his gaze keeps switching to Sungyeol and he admires the boy once again, but now that he’s closer he just wanted to reach out and touch the other’s handsome face but decides against it because that would be freaky.

Slowly the door creaked open and the two boys look in its direction and see Sungjong’s mother standing there, now home from work, peering at the screen and then to them. “Hey boys, oh Sungyeol it’s been so long since I’ve seen you, you sure have grown.” She comments. “Tell your mother, thank you for the cakes.”

“Hey Mrs. Lee.”  Sungyeol stood up from the bed to bow politely at the young women in front of them.

“Actually, can you two come help me with something, there is a box I need to reach, but it’s a little too high up, it’s a good thing you’ve grown Sungyeol.”

Sungjong climbed up from his bed to join them while Sungyeol nodded, they made their way to the dining room were a huge set of shelves filled the back wall with various ornaments and nicknacks, along the top shelf were some dusty decorative boxes which Sungjong’s mother pointed at.

“Could you reach those for me, dear?” Sungyeol stepped forward and stood on his tip toes to reach for the box. His shirt rode up a little and Sungjong could see the beginning of his boxers and a little of his toned stomach peeking out. “Be careful.” She warned, but Sungyeol easily took it down while Sungjong was still trying to calm his burning cheeks.

“What’s in the box?” Sungyeol questioned as he held it tightly between his hands and placed it down on the table.

“Just some old photo albums.” Sungjong’s mother replied with a gentle smile.

“Oh! Can I see, can I see?” Sungyeol suddenly yelled, full of excitement, but Sungjong almost let out a groan of disapproval.

His mother nodded, “Why not, it’d be fun right?” She giggled.

Oh great Sungjong thought as he watched the two start to open up the dusty box eagerly. Old embarrassing pictures of himself, that was exactly what he wanted to see. 

 


A/N: *waves* hello again! I decided to split this chapter up into two for suspence and stuff like ooh what's going to happen, what's so special about pictures??? heheh ^^  I'm going to predict this fanfic will end on chapter 9/10 

on a more personal note, I'm finally in college now, and I get homework eVERYDAY IN EVERY LESSON, it's not fair, I barely have time for writing, I just want it to be the weekend soon so I can rest!! also my shinee's misconception of us album finally arrived so I've been like hugging it daily and crying over it ;~; it's great!! 

Thankyou so much for the lovely comments I didn't get to reply to you because I had no time but I did read them and wow thankyou for enjoying my story ^^ 

happy belated birthday to Sungyeol and Sungjong also <3 

cya next time! comments and votes are super appreciated oooh

-Sydney