Soothing Confession

Smudged Reflection

An almost bursting photo album was placed upon the wooden table. Sungjong assumed by the sheer fullness of the book he could be here for awhile and he was already dreading it.

His mother flipped open the first page which revealed a selection of pictures of Sungjong when he was born, lying in the cot with his eyes closed and facial features scrunched up.

“Sungjong was so cute wasn’t he?” His mother cooed, tracing her fingers over each image of the child and Sungyeol nodded in agreement.

Sungjong couldn’t bear to look or hear them make comments so he decided to step away.

They continued scanning through the pages, and Sungyeol would laugh at some of the pictures, like the one where Sungjong had chocolate all over himself while his mother would just reminisce and smile at him. He had started to grow older as the book went on and now he was in his early teens and Sungyeol pointed excitedly to one of the photos.

“Look, I’m in this photo!” He called, making Sungjong decide to step a little closer to take a peek at what he was pointing at, but instantly regretted it when he looked to himself in the image first. He was fat, it was a picture of him standing with all his friends looking silly and out of place when all of them were at a healthy size.

But they continued to turn through the endless pages, not noticing Sungjong’s distress. The further in they got, Sungjong felt his insecurity take over and he was ashamed knowing that his best friend was seeing these disgusting pictures of him. He couldn’t take it anymore, bile was rising at the back of his throat and it couldn’t bear to watch anymore.

“THAT’S ENOUGH!” Sungjong almost screamed as he pushed between them and slammed the album shut. Taking it and wrapping his arms around it roughly, stepping away from the pair, giving his mother and Sungyeol a terrified look, his whole body shaking.

The both of them were in shock, but when Sungjong’s mother face went stern, Sungyeol’s went into a saddened expression when he saw how panicked Sungjong looked as he held the book away from them.

“Sungjong, there was no need for that now was there?” She accused.

“No, but that’s enough mother. Those pictures with me, throw them out, I don’t want to see them anymore.” He argued, panting hard from frustration.

“But Sungjong what’s wrong with them?” His mother noticed his frightened stance, and tried to calm him.

“They’re pictures of me, I should get the say whether or not your keep them, and I hate them.” He countered before throwing the album harshly to the floor and darting out the room straight into his bedroom and slamming the door. He had just made a fool of himself, but he didn’t care, anything to stop the torture of seeing those embarrassing old pictures. They only seemed to remind him of everything he’d tried so hard to ignore as he recovered. How disgusting he still was.

Sungjong was cradled on the bed, arms wrapped around his knees while he tried to calm his breathing. The door made a squeak as it was opened, and Sungyeol stepped in, carefully making his way over to the bed, he gingerly placed his hand on Sungjong’s back as reassurance. He’d become more used to seeing Sungjong getting upset over little things. Before he’d decided to help Sungjong out, the younger would try and solve the problems himself and hide his emotions, but now he was less scared to show them. Mainly the problems were to do with food though, so Sungyeol was a little confused at what brought out this random spout of annoyance from his friend.

“Jong, you okay?” Sungyeol’s asked carefully, and Sungjong looked up with watery eyes. Sungyeol was a little taken aback when Sungjong latched onto his body suddenly; hugging him tightly, but he wrapped his arms around the younger anyway.

“T-those pictures, I was ugly, I was fat on everyone, it was shameful, I couldn’t bare them anymore Sungyeol.” Sungyeol continued to rub warm circles on the Sungjong’s back as he told him what was wrong.

“Sungjong you looked adorable. There was nothing wrong with you.” He replied.

“Don’t lie... I looked disgusting.” Sungjong was sobbing now. “I can’t stand it.”

Sungyeol couldn’t understand at all how his friend could think that about himself, when Sungyeol looked at Sungjong he had never once thought of any of the negative words Sungjong chose to describe himself with. So with a little bit of hesitancy he asked, “Sungjong...” The other gave a hum in reply. “Why did you start to feel this way?” He asked.

Sungjong remembered back to the lunch hall when he was going to finally tell Sungyeol, he thought this would be an even better chance to come clean, so he took a deep breath before he started, trying to calm his shaking body. He let go of Sungyeol and kept his eyes away from his face, deciding it’d be easier to tell if he couldn’t see the other’s reactions, so he focused on the sheets of his bed, his fingers playing with the fabric loosely as he began.

“I-I guess it started when we both made friends with Dongwoo and Hoya. It was always just me, you and Woohyun at first, and we were the three best of friends.” Sungyeol hummed every so often to prove to Sungjong he was listening well. “But as the group started to get bigger, I wasn’t the most social one, I was quiet, so when I saw you and Woohyun make friends with them fast,I felt a little forgotten. I felt like I wasn’t close with you guys anymore.” Sungjong admitted, when Sungyeol said nothing, he continued. “Now, you have to admit back them I wasn’t the skinniest, at that time I was my worst in weight, and when I looked to you four, and back to my body, I could just tell there was something wrong. All my friends were so skinny, and that just made me feel more separated, I worried you didn’t want to be my friend because of my weight, I have convinced myself that I had to be like that to fit in with you.” Sungjong didn’t mention the bit about his young mind convincing him that Sungyeol would never like him if he wasn’t as skinny as the rest.

But Sungjong worried once the last words escaped his mouth. It was a selfish story, he hadn’t ever talked to anyone else about it and he was sure if he had it would have destroyed all his fears of being left out, or being isolated because of how he looked, because someone would have told him otherwise. But his childish senses only made him worry, he used to think if he asked Sungyeol he’d get mad for even thinking that way, and although there was still a nagging thought he’d react this way now, Sungjong had decided to be brave. After all keeping it inside for this entire time though, only made it twist and become more gruesome inside him, taking over all his thoughts until he got to the point he was at, and finally he just had to let it out, before it took over again.

He carefully took a glance at his friend, surprised to see he didn’t look furious, or annoyed, he just looked shocked, eyes wide as he tried to find the right words. Sungjong guiltily let his gaze fall back to the bedspread.

“But Sungjong, I would never think that ever.” Sungyeol spoke clearly, taking Sungjong’s face between his hands lifting it up so he could stare straight at him. “Always, I’ve always been worried about you, you don’t know how horrible it is to see your friend change every day, and then when you try to help... you just said you were fine, every day, and I couldn’t do anything because you wouldn’t let me in, and I worried so much Sungjong. I just wanted to help you, because you meant so much to me, so I wish you told me.” He took a deep sigh before continuing. “I’m not mad at you for thinking that way, but you’ve been kind of stupid because you actually mean more to me than anyone else, seeing as though well...” Sungyeol let out a bashful chuckle. “I really like you Sungjong.” He confessed, his face now a vibrant red.

Now it was Sungjong’s turn to be shocked, he probably looked like a gaping fish, with his eyes wide and mouth wide open. Not even in his dreams did he ever believe Sungyeol would like him back, but here he was confessing to him. Sungjong found it too unbelievable, his mind was racing, his emotions everywhere and he tried to speak but his mouth was dry and words weren’t working.

“Ah, that was dumb.” He threw his hands up in exasperation. “Forget it-”

“NO!” Sungjong yelled, once again wrapping his arms around the other. “No... I-I-” He tried, and his lips pulled into a wavering smile as he looked at Sungyeol. “I really like you too, I just, can’t believe it.” Sungjong started crying from the overwhelming feelings that were flowing through him. He held onto Sungyeol tighter making sure this was all real.

Sungyeol noticed Sungjong’s tears. “Oh god, I’m sorry, I’m already the worst boyfriend for making you cry.” He spoke, voice laced with worry and he tried to clumsily wipe Sungjong’s tears, but the word boyfriend only made him sob more.

It didn’t take all that long for Sungjong’s tears to dry but even then they both just stayed silent in eachother’s arms until it had gotten late.

“We should get the extra futon out.” Sungjong spoke, voice croaky from crying so much earlier, he groggily pulled himself away from Sungyeol’s hold, but when the other’s arms gripped him tighter, he gave an annoyed grunt. “Yeol, let go. If I don’t get this out, where are you going to sleep?-”

“Why don’t I just sleep with you?” he abruptly answered and Sungjong looked up at him curiously, then back at his bed. Well the wonderful hold Sungyeol had on him was warm and comforting. It would be a shame to end it. So he decided to just give in to his request with a tired sigh. The two of them lay down together, never letting go. The last thing Sungjong recalls is a pair of lips on his cheek, before he loses himself in sweet dreams. 

 


A/N: hey friends!! I hope you liked this chapter and it wasn't too disappointing because I know you were all looking forward to a confession scene

thank you for your comments, kisses you all <3 comments make me super happy

and I'm really sleep now so 

/falls asleep on laptop with yeoljong

-Sydney