Starting anew.

Our Fate

She took in a deep breath and clasps the pedant around her neck a bit tighter as she heaved out a long sigh. Shoulders dropping a bit lower than it previously were at, she opened her eyes and took in the slow flow of the water current of Han River. She unlatched her hand from the star heart pedant and examined it in her small palm, “Sehun,” she softly whispered a name through her lips and softly caressed it with her finger tips, “it was as if it was just yesterday when you gave me this,” she sniffled shut her eyes tightly, “do you still remember our promise?” a single tear falling from her closed eyes and landed on the pedant.

 

“Taeyeon,” came a voice from behind her. Taeyeon shot open her eyes and quickly wiped away her tears before spinning around to face who it was, “Tiffany,” she said softly with a hint of her voice cracking. Tiffany, her friend whom she met years ago, approached her with her hands clasped behind her back, “What are you doing here? I was worried that I lost you for a moment,” the taller girl joked. Taeyeon chuckled, “I just wanted to get some fresh air, sorry for not informing you before leaving,” she said with a bow. Tiffany giggled and patted Taeyeon’s shoulders, “Come on, we still got customers to serve.”

 

Taeyeon nodded and allowed Tiffany to grab her by the hand and dragged her back to their little bakery shop right across Han River.

 

---

 

“Therefore I will be expecting the team to work extra hard for this project,” he said and took off his glasses, “meeting is over.” The lights in the room flickered back on as everyone around the eclipsed meeting table stood up one by one while collecting their belongings in front of them.

 

“You did a wonderful job Sehun-ssi,” an elderly man said and patted Sehun’s right shoulder, “I’m sure this project will succeed just like your previous ones.”

 

Sehun gave the man a nod of his head a smile, “Thank you Mr. Jo, I’m hoping with our new teams, we’ll be able to be successful with this project as well,” he grabbed the papers in front of him and stuffed it into his filing folder pouch, “Daehyun,” he called for his secretary who quickly shuffled up to his side, “after this meeting, what do I have on my schedule?” he asked.

 

“Well,” Daehyun tapped the screen and the device in his arms lit up, “right after this you have lunch with the Im family,” he said.

 

“Ah…the Im family,” Mr. Jo said proudly and slapped Sehun on the back, “so I heard that you will be engaging their eldest daughter Yoona soon.” Sehun broke into a smile and picked up his folder pouch, “That is true Mr. Jo,” he replied back, “although Yoona and I has barely known each other for a good year, I feel that what we have between the both of us is right.”

 

Mr. Jo let out a heartily laugh and patted Sehun on the back once more, “Well then, hurry on and go meet your future fiancé, you shouldn’t be making her wait for you,” he said. Sehun gave Mr. Jo a bow before leaving with Daehyun following behind him.

 

---

 

“How do I look?” a tall girl with brown curled hair asked while examining her reflection in the long rectangle mirror.

 

“Perfect,” another tall girl with brown hair behind her answered and stood up from her chair, “unnie, Sehun oppa’s eyes will twinkle tonight just for you,” she said while grabbing her older sister’s hands into hers’, “I wish that Suho would propose to me already since we’ve been dating longer than you two,” she said with a pout.

 

“Don’t worry Seohyun ah, I’m sure Suho is just looking for a perfect way to propose to you,” she got down from the pedestal and brought her younger sister’s hands up to her chest, “trust unnie in this.” Seohyun glanced up at her unnie and smile, “Thank you unnie.”

 

The door to the room opens and an elderly lady walks in with a huge smile on her face, “Is my Yoona and Seohyun ready?” she asked, making her way over to her two daughters. The two sisters smiled and their mother and walked the rest of the way to give their mother a hug, “We’ve been ready umma,” Seohyun answered, “unnie and I were just waiting for you and appa.”

 

Their mother chuckled and patted both of her daughters’ heads, “Well then, we shouldn’t let Sehun wait so long,” she kissed the both of them on the forehead and then pulled away, “come on now.” Seohyun clapped happily and took off out of the room while Yoona stayed back with their mother, “Umma,” she called softly. Mrs. Im glanced at her daughter and noticed how nervous she was, “Don’t worry my Yoona dear,” she grabbed Yoona’s hands into hers’ and pats it, “nothing will stop Sehun from doing what’s right.”

 

Yoona heaved out a sigh and gave her mother a big hug, “Thank you umma.”

 

---

 

“And that will be all of it correct?” the guy asked while Taeyeon checked the list one more.

 

“Yes it is,” she signed off some more things on the list and handed it to the man before her, “make sure it gets to that place.”

 

“Of course Taeyeon-ssi,” he grabs the folder from her hands and leaves her alone standing there. Taeyeon watches as the man gets into the car and drives off towards the direction of his destination.

 

“That was a lot of bakery they ordered,” Tiffany said while walking out through the back door. Taeyeon wiped her hands on her apron and spun around to enter the bakery shop without saying anything else to the younger one. She made her way back into the kitchen area and the tv, “What are you doing?” Tiffany asked, leaning against the counter and glanced at the tv as well, “Oh Sehun…isn’t he the youngest CEO to take over his father’s business?” she asked, “oh and that girl…Im Yoona, her parents are famous for…wait…WHAT?!” Tiffany shouted loudly as she stared at the saying on the bottom of the screen, “engaged?!”

 

Taeyeon bit her bottom lip and did her best to keep in the tears that was threatening to spill from her eyes, “Wow…I guess they are a match made in heaven, I mean Oh Sehun is very handsome looking in that suit while Im Yoona is gorgeous in that dress and wow that ring must have cost a leg and an arm for me,” Tiffany cackled. Taeyeon tore her teary eyes from the tv and walked away from the kitchen and out the door, “Taeyeon?” Tiffany said softly while watching the older one leave the bakery shop once again that day.

 

Taeyeon walked down the streets of Seoul until she couldn’t walk anymore. With her legs giving up on her, Taeyeon fell down on the sidewalk while people passed her by and cried her heart out, “Why?” she asked between sobs, “why? You promised me Sehun,” Taeyeon balled her hand and slammed it against the hard cement, “you lied to me Sehun.”

 

“So tell me Oh Sehun, why did you give Yoona-ssi this star heart pedant?” the lady interviewer asked. Taeyeon’s eyes widen and glanced up at the huge screen tv dabbed right in the middle of the streets of Seoul. The star heart pedant, she grasped it from her chest and pulled it out look at, the same one in the huge screen tv, “Why…”

 

“This star heart pedant, I used to have one when I was a child the same replica and all but I gave it to the person whom I first fell in love with,” Sehun began and grabbed the pedant to examine it while it hung around Yoona’s neck, “that necklace meant a lot to me, it was like a sign of my love to the person I love the most but apparently the person whom I have that pedant to years ago has left me alone in this world,” he let go of the pedant and continued to glance at the ground, “she is now in a much happier place, a place where no pain is felt, a place where god looks over her forever,” he then glanced up at the camera and then to Yoona, “I bought Yoona the same necklace because it’s a sign of a new start for me. A sign to tell my heart that the person whom I loved for years has really disappeared from me and I will never get the chance to see her face ever again. There is no reason for me to continue to search for her any longer, I must move on with what I have now,” Sehun took a hold of Yoona’s hand and brought it up to his heart, “and from now on it’s her…Im Yoona whom I will be spending the rest of my life with.”

 

Taeyeon grasped harder on the pedant and cried as she watched her long lover Oh Sehun announce his engagement to the person whom he’s in love with to the people of South Korea to see. 

------