Yoona

Mr. and Mrs. Kwon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Of course there’s a way.”

 

My eyebrows went up once again in curiosity. “Oh? How?”

 

“You can marry the girl.”

 

“What?!”

 

 

JIYONG’S STORY

 

YOONA

 

   

 

“You heard me.” My grandmother calmly said with a poker face.

 

“Yeah, I heard you, grandma. And please correct me if I’m wrong, but I heard you suggesting that I marry a woman I don’t even know.”

 

Kwon Soomi and her outstanding acting skill had always left me in awe. And this time wasn’t any different. She looked as innocent as I’d ever seen her. “I sure did suggest that. I don’t really understand why you can’t accept this proposition. Are you perhaps involved in this little charade crafted by that Kim girl?” She asked blandly.

 

“Grandma, you know very well I’m not a part of it, but that still doesn’t….”

 

She cut me off. “Jiyong, think about it. It makes perfect sense. Since the pregnancy hasn’t advanced very far, we can claim that both of you met and fell in love on one of your trips to Bangkok. It wasn’t a big surprise because you did fly over there several times this past year.”  She noted.

 

“No offenses but you’re insane.”

 

She feigned ignorance. “We’ll say that you’ve been conducting a discreet affair long distance and this tragedy has made you realize that you don’t want to be separated any longer. We can organize a small, private ceremony within the month and no one will suspect anything.”

 

“Until the baby is born suspiciously early that is.” I said sarcastically.

 

“A baby conceived at the wrong side of the sheet is not nearly as scandalous a child born without wedlock.” She retorted. “You’ll get the girl sign a prenuptial agreement, of course. It’s a trend these days anyway. We’ll agree to pay her whatever it takes to get rid of her. Then, you can file for a quiet divorce after some time the baby is born. She gets rich and we retain the custody of the Kwon heir. As simple as that.”

 

The total lack of emotion in her voice sent chills throughout my body. “You can’t believe she would agree to that?”

 

“On the contrary, Jiyong. What pregnant, impoverished young woman wouldn’t jump at the idea of marrying one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in Korea? She’ll take the bait and if she ever refuses to renounce the custody, we can deal with her in court. But by then, of course we already have established you as the child’s father and relinquishing your paternity would only weaken the girl’s position in the high society. She wouldn’t want her hard work to climb her way to the upper class to burn down into ashes just like that.”

 

“Grandma! This is preposterous!” I said, coming to my feet in a masculine attempt to take control of the discussion.

 

She completely wasn’t intimidated, her eyes were projecting calmness. “Is it? Knock some senses into your brain, Jiyong. You’ve always wanted a child. Here’s your chance to finally have one.”

 

I looked at her through narrowed eyes. She just skated onto dangerously thin ice and I wasn’t even sure if she was doing it on purpose or not. “Don’t wave fatherhood in front of me, grandma. Don’t even dare to mention family honor or potential scandals.” I said monotonously, trying not to betray any more emotion than necessary.

 

“And don’t you dare let this opportunity to slip away.” She warned me then softened her voce. The calmness of her eyes changed, replaced with warmness that I never could imagine that she would have. “Jiyong, I know I’m not the grandmother of the year and I can never be one. But I know that you wanted only two things out of life. I robbed you of the first….”

 

I came round the desk again. “Grandma, stop it. I don’t want to remember…”

 

“Let me finish.” She insisted. “I robbed you of the first when I forced you to bear the responsibility of being the head of Wisteria Hotels and Resorts. Fate or love or cruel trick of life has robbed you of the second, the family you always wanted.”

 

“Grandma, I never….”

 

She gazed at me sadly. “Don’t waste your breath denying it, Jiyong. I know who raised Seungri, who nurtured him and gave him the love and affection that neither your parents nor I could provide. I’ve seen the agony in your eyes when you look at your cousins’ children. The rest of Seoul may believe that you and Yoona were the loving couple who remained childless by choice, but I know better.”

 

Instead of denying it, I finished the sentences she started. “And since my ex-wife remarried her old flame, Lee Donghae less than a month since our divorce and proudly showing off their affection to the public, the fault must have been mine.” I said moving to the bar to refill my drink. I chose straight bourbon again, hoping that the drink would drift me away from my rowdy thought.

 

“I’m not saying this to hurt you, Jiyong, or to provoke you.” She assured me gently. “We’ve never spoken of it before and I don’t expect we ever shall again. But you have an opportunity to do something wonderful for Seungri’s child and for yourself at the same time. There’s nothing wrong with being selfish now and again.”

 

I knocked back a generous glug of bourbon. The drink burned my throat and brought tears to my eyes. I blinked them a few times while trying to destroy the ache that Kwon Soomi’s had created inside my heart. “I’m not marrying Kim Taeyeon or even assuming she’d agree to it. Which I know for a fact that she wouldn’t. Miss Kim….” I stopped abruptly.

 

My grandmother tilted her head to one side. “What about Miss Kim?”

 

I frowned, hoping that I’d never spoken. Seunghyun hadn’t said it out loud but I had gotten the message crystal clear. Kim Taeyeon blamed him for Seungri’s death and it was no brainer to think that she probably hated me more than I hated myself.

 

I couldn’t bring myself to say that to my grandmother though. “Nothing, grandma. Just trust me on this. That Kim girl would never agree to marry me.”

 

“Jiyong, a woman will agree to anything for the right price. I’m sure this one is no different. She won’t come cheap but she’s definitely a schemer. Look at the way how she used Seunghyun”

 

I returned to my desk. “Grandma, don’t accuse people blindly. She told Seunghyun about the baby if he promised to keep it as a secret. Which, clearly Seunghyun didn’t keep when he decided to tell me. Seunghyun said that she’s proud and very stubborn. She hasn’t even decided whether to drop the bomb on us or not.”

 

She shook her head jadedly. “Men are so gullible.” She said on a sigh. “Jiyong, the girl planned this meticulously. She was perfectly aware that Seunghyun was on his way here. So she crafted a tearful confession, full of protestations that she wanted nothing for herself or her child while knowing full well there’s not a man alive who wouldn’t feel obliged to come to her rescue. Seunghyun was only her pawn. She played him well I must say. He was acting in the girl’s best interest because the poor maiden in distress was to emotionally unstable to make the right decision for herself. Am I right?

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter