Lilies of Sad Fate

Paper and Wine

Title: Lilies of Sad Fate

Author: immortalsoul123

Type: One-Shot

Date Posted: 

Pairing: KyuMin

Rating: PG-13

Genre: Romance, Supernatural, Angst, AU

Warning: Sungmin's POV, death

Note: I do not own them. I own the  plot. None of these events are true.

Summary: Sungmin has been watching that guy who always brings lilies and stays below a tree near his house. He gets curious and he tries to approach him.

***

Lilies of Sad Fate

They say that when someone is doing something peculiar, there must also be a reason behind it.

Two years have passed since the day I first saw him, putting flowers on the top of that grassy hill. He would stay there for about ten minutes. He would also sit with his back resting on the trunk of a fully grown tree which is already a century old. He would look quietly to the sky and would not move until ten minutes was over.

I wasn’t even aware of his past. I moved to a house which was about thirty meters away from that tree. It was a two-storey house, and my room was located on the second floor; my window was slightly facing that tree. One time, I decided to open the window to see the whole place and breathe in the fresh air. On that same day, I saw him walking carefully towards the tree as he held three lilies with his right hand. He was wearing a plain yellow shirt and cardigan pants. And as I observed him, he wasn’t even aware of everyone who might had moved in the nearby house.

Every day, he would be there, on the same place, on the same time. He would be there at three in the afternoon. He would do the same thing all over again. Even his expression – it was all blank. Nothing would change except his clothes.

I would always stare at him from the window. I didn’t know why he was doing that routine over and over again nor I knew why I was paying attention to him. Out of curiosity, I guess? I also tried to get the lilies and put them on the vase. One by one, it would wilt, but I never removed them from the vase.

This day, I decide to sit by the tree on that same time when he is supposed to be there.

And I am not wrong. He comes with three lilies in his hands. For the first time, I see him face to face. I look at him, pretending to be puzzled or surprised, whatever my face paints at that very moment. I notice that he has a noticeable scar on his left cheek yet he still looks handsome.

He stops as he sees me. I smile at him, but he doesn’t return it. He isn’t rude as I may interpret, but it feels like he doesn’t want me to be there. I stand and walk away from him. I can still feel that he is looking at me, following me with his stare until I completely go inside the house.

And this is only our first encounter.

***

The next day, I peek from my window when the clock strikes three. He is once again there, but this time, he isn’t holding any lilies at all. I can’t see clearly so I move the curtain from the window and open it, and in my surprise, he is looking directly towards my window. I feel something eerie when I see him. His expression is still blank but his eyes... those eyes, I can see the sadness in them. And after a while, his tears fall.

“Sungmin.”

From the distance, I can see how he mouths my name. How did he know my name? My eyebrows meet as my heart starts beating abnormally. I don’t know who he is yet he knows me. In impulse, I close the window and turn away from him. Does he know me all this time?

***

I walk outside the house and stay near the tree. This time, I plan to confront him – or better befriend him. I want to know him better because I thought that he was unfair to know my name, while I, who has been observing him for two years, never knew who he was.

He comes, and as usual, without flowers in his hand. He doesn’t show a blank expression that time – he is the first one who shows a smile. I stay seated and he sits beside me.

“I never thought you’d come back,” he murmurs those words which make me look at him, confused. “Sungmin, I miss you very much.”

I smile awkwardly as I think if he has mistaken me for someone else? Another Sungmin perhaps? But it is impossible. “I don’t understand.”

“Do you know why I don’t bring lilies anymore? It is because I want to tell you that I will not come here anymore. I promised you before that whenever I am going here, I’ll bring lilies for you because lily is your favorite flower, isn’t it?”

Yes, I have liked lilies since the day I learned about them. “How did you know?”

“And you asked me to stay for at least ten minutes while watching the clouds move in the sky. I never listened to you before. I thought that you were not serious. But then, I learned that you were serious about it.”

Because I am so confused, I face him and look at him. “I can’t understand it! I don’t even know you!”

He smiles, still not looking at me. “I thought that those moments were not important to you. You wanted me to sit with you without doing anything. You said that you wanted to cherish the moment when we snuck time with each other.

“That house... we built it together to escape their judging eyes, right? We tried to hide from all of them who don’t know how we’re feeling. We decided to build the house near this tree where we first met. You were really beautiful that time, Sungmin. You caught my attention and that time I believed in love at first sight. I thought that being perfect meant a lot until I found you. You were simple. You taught me how life had to be.

“And you successfully entered my heart. I did too, right? I could not forget the day when you gave me a light kiss. It was the sweetest kiss that I received. And that didn’t end there. They didn’t approve of us. I left you and I hurt you. I am sorry, Sungmin. It won’t happen again.”

I feel that my tears are falling. Why am I feeling like this? I can’t barely understand a thing. I don’t understand anything. “Who are you? Who are you? Answer me!”

“I tried to get your love back, but you were too hurt. All I could do was to blame myself. And I gave you lilies. You loved them. I told you that we would build that house, and the second room would be our room. No one could ever separate us, I promised you. I told you that I would protect you. But I failed.

“We tried to escape them, and... I told you that we would go farther. And you went with me... but it was the last time that we saw each other. You left me without saying goodbye. You left me without letting me say that I loved you very much. You were unfair. You made me suffer. But I guess it was my karma. Please, just this moment, let me see you.”

My heart is very bewildered. I am breathing rapidly, trying to ask him for a definite answer. He never answers me directly.

“Kyuhyun needs you now, Sungmin,” he says as his tears flow. “Why don’t you show yourself again to me like the other day? Or maybe you don’t want to see me again... I guess, the other day would the last time. I realized that when you showed yourself to me, you wanted me to move on. But I would never forget about you. Sungmin, I want you to know that I love you.”

That struck me. “But I am right here!” I then try to grab his shoulders but my hand just passes into his body. I feel cold and I feel a stinging sensation in my heart. Why can’t I touch him?

He can’t see me. He can’t hear me. This is the only time when I realize that I don’t belong here anymore, that memories after our parting are completely erased, but this love that I am feeling for him is so strong that the divine intervention can’t erase it. I am slowly getting it, yet these realizations drift me away from the reality. I realize that I am slowly disappearing. It is like I am fading away, getting more and more transparent. I want to tell him that I will forever love him. But I don’t know how to make him see and hear me. I must think of a way to-

Lilies. I need to find lilies!

Lilies are the only thing that make him see me. They are also the only thing that makes me alive as a soul. When he came back yesterday, he wasn’t holding lilies. He did not see me. It was the first time that he looked to my house. That was why he never noticed me when he was going here. I run towards my house before it is too late. I see some lilies which are in the verge of wilting. All other lilies are completely wilting. I run out from the house and see him leaving the tree. I run as fast as I can to let him hold the lilies and see me again, even for the last time.

“Kyuhyun!” I call him as I stand in front of him and give him the lilies. He is shocked when he sees lilies in his hand, and he is surprised to see me in front of him. He gazes at me and his eyes become watery.

“S-Sungmin... you’re here...” He utters.

“I was here all along. You were not looking at our dream house. I have never known you for two years, but when I was observing you, I thought that our hearts never parted. And... the flowers that I loved so much will make you see me,” I tell him. He holds my cheek and caresses it as he stares at me.

“I miss you so much, Sungmin,” he says to me as he pulls me and gives me a kiss. I close my eyes, and I feel the warmth. “I love you.”

When we part, I see the lilies slowly dying. And I... I am slowly... slowly... disappearing. My feet, then my legs, then my thighs, then my upper body disappear.

I want to hold him,  but I can’t. He tries to hold me but he can’t anymore. The lilies become completely wilted and I say my final words for him.

“Goodbye... Kyuhyun. I love-”

You.

***