The Kangaroo's Secret

Paper and Wine

Title: The Kangaroo’s Secret

Author: immortalsoul123

Date Posted: March 10, 2011

Type: One-shot

Characters: KyuMin, implied MinWook

Rated: PG

Words: 1831

Genre: Romance, Life, Fluff, Angst

Disclaimer: All of these events are purely imagination. And of course, I don’t own KyuMin for heaven’s sake. But they are my favourite pairing. And how I wish they are real. Haha. And lastly... How I wish they are mine.

Warning: BL

Notes: KyuMin... this is how I miss the pairing very much. I really ship them so bad, and because Sungmin and Kyuhyun are on ‘fanservice hiatus’ (What a term, LOL), I wanted to see them together again. Is it me or Sungmin has become too gloomy or discouraged since the start of 4jib promotions? I really don’t know why. And my friend also points it out that Kyuhyun and Sungmin have lack of interactions (WTH) these days, unlike in Sorry Sorry days.

Summary: Sungmin found a piece of paper. He read it: The bunny loves the kangaroo, but the kangaroo doesn’t seem to care at all.

***

The Kangaroo’s Secret

While the others are out, Sungmin stayed at their dorm. He was the only one who did not have any schedule to attend to, so he decided to stay. He watched television and got bored, so he went out a little while to buy something to eat. When he went back,  he saw a piece of paper outside the dorm door. Over the paper were a mini stuffed bunny and a mini stuffed kangaroo side by side. He hesitated to get it and when he thought that they were from a fan, he got the two stuffed toys and the paper. As he entered the dorm, he immediately put the groceries beside the sofa and went to his room and placed the stuffed toys and the paper on his bed. He went to the kitchen and put the food he bought into the cabinet. He got a can of soda and some potato chips, and went inside the room to eat.

He got up his bed and put the food on the mini table between his bed and Kyuhyun’s bed. He looked to the paper and noticed that there were something written on it, so he got it and started to read it aloud.

“Once upon a time, there was a bunny,” Sungmin read. “Oh, so, this stuffed bunny must be the character of this story. I wonder who is the kangaroo.”

He continued to read, “The bunny lived in a forest, and he had so many animal friends. But among all those animal friends, he was closest to the kangaroo. They were best of friends and were partners in crime...”

The kangaroo and the bunny have been friends for almost five years.  The bunny was already in the forest when the kangaroo appeared and joined the animal community. They were awkward at first, but later, the bunny befriended the kangaroo. The kangaroo gladly accepted their friendship and from then on, they became friends.

One time, the kangaroo did not have any place to stay. The bunny invited him to stay in his house. The kangaroo was so happy that the bunny let him in his house. They would play together and talk together. The kangaroo would always bring the bunny a carrot or a leafy vegetable whenever he went out, and they were happy together.

Then came a storm. Being helpful as he was, the kangaroo helped the other animals with the damages that the storm brought them. With that, the kangaroo was loved by everyone. They would go out to meet some animal friends go into the forest and play together.

The bunny was happy that the others accepted the kangaroo as one of the members of community. He was happy that the kangaroo got the trust of other animals. And for that five years, the bunny has loved the kangaroo more than a friend. It was not natural for him to love another animal of another kind, so he thought that love would not grow any deeper. He kept it a secret to the kangaroo.

Until one day, when the bunny asked the kangaroo to play with him, the kangaroo answered, “I’m sorry, Bunny. The other animals invited me to go somewhere. If you want, then I’ll let you accompany us.”

The bunny got disappointed. He just said, “Okay... I’ll just stay here at our house.”

The same scenario repeated for many times. The bunny and the kangaroo became awkward. They would just greet each other then the kangaroo would just go to sleep because he was too tired of playing with other animals.

The bunny felt lonely and thought that his best friend was not the same anymore. He thought that he lost a best friend. He was jealous with other animals because the kangaroo was used to be with him, talking and playing with him all the time.

Then another day came. When the kangaroo was out with other animals, the bunny searched for food to  give to the kangaroo. When he was getting something, he accidentally injured his leg. But he did not care; he went back home happily. He thought that the kangaroo would really love the food that he brought home. The kangaroo went home, and as usual, he was too tired and too sleepy. The bunny greeted him with much energy, but the kangaroo just nodded and went into his room immediately. The bunny was disappointed. He went into the kangaroo’s room and confronted him.

“Why are you like this, Kangaroo? You are not the same anymore. When you became close to other animals, we haven’t play as much as before. And now that I brought you food, you did not even bother to thank me.”

“Bunny, I’m tired, so let us talk tomorrow, okay-”

“We cannot talk tomorrow anymore because I bet you’ll be going out as early as possible!” The bunny nearly shouted.

The kangaroo turned his back and spoke as loud as the bunny’s voice, “Why are you like this, Bunny? Are you not happy that the others started to love me as well? And besides, I have the right to be happy with others, right? And who asked you to get me some food? Why are you so selfish?”

The bunny started to cry. “Because I love you!”

The kangaroo looked at him. He just stared at the ground and spoke softer, “I’m sorry. A kangaroo and a bunny cannot be together, so better trash all those feelings away. Goodnight.”

The bunny was left standing, while the kangaroo went to his bed and slept.

“As I thought.”

From then on, the kangaroo would not go home. The bunny waited and waited for the kangaroo to come back. But he guessed, he would not even think of coming back because of all those stupidity he confessed.

The bunny became lonelier than usual. He would not go out his house. His injury also became worse because he did not seem to care about it. Until one day, a rabbit went to him and made him feel better. He tended his injury and in no time, he recovered.

“Thank you, Rabbit. I owe you one,” the bunny thanked the rabbit.

“Now that you are already okay, how about playing with everyone else? Kangaroo is also there,” the rabbit invited him. But he just shook his head.

“No, it will be better that we will not see each other again,” the bunny stated with his head down. “And besides, he does not care for me. He is thinking that I am so selfish and that he knows that I’m so stupid to love him.”

“No, don’t say that, okay?” The rabbit said. “Everything is going to be alright. Trust me.”

With the rabbit, the bunny went to their playground. As usual, he saw the kangaroo, looking at him. He was smiling at him, so the bunny just removed his stare and smiled to the rabbit.

Despite of everything, the bunny became happy with other animals. He thought that he should not feel down about it anymore, so he enjoyed. At least, he had the rabbit and the other animals to care for him and to make him happy. From then on, he enjoyed his days with the rabbit.

“The kangaroo,” Sungmin stopped when he noticed that the other parts were missing. He looked for it, but he found nothing. “Oh geez. Look, I’m crying. I feel the bunny’s pain. Seems like I am he. The story is too cute that I want to continue it... Where’s my pen-”

“I’ll continue it, how about that?”

Sungmin looked at someone who spoke. It was Kyuhyun and he was leaning on the room’s door. Sungmin immediately wiped his tears so that Kyuhyun would not see it. But it was too late when Kyuhyun sat on his bed in front of him. He wiped his tears for him instead.

“Your schedule is finished?” Sungmin asked. “I thought you’re going home late a-”

“Or I guess you thought that I’m not coming back like the kangaroo?” Kyuhyun interjected. “Well, I finish my schedule so early, so they let me go home earlier.”

“Oh, I see,” Sungmin whispered and looked away. “Anyway, I-I’m just getting something to-”

When Sungmin was about to leave, Kyuhyun grabbed his hands and pulled him back. “I thought you wanted to continue the story? I will continue it for you.”

Sungmin looked at him just for a while and then pulled his hand back from Kyuhyun’s hand. “N-No, it’s okay. I’ll just-”

“The kangaroo gazed at the bunny and the rabbit and felt something different. The bunny and the rabbit became too close that he became jealous. Whenever he’s near the bunny, the bunny would always look away, or even go away and search for the other animals. The kangaroo did not have the chance to make it up with him.”

Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun who was looking back at him. Kyuhyun continued, “The kangaroo could just look at the bunny from afar. When he saw him smiling, he would also smile. Whenever their eyes met, he would always look away and change his happy expression, because he could not face him. Whenever the bunny and the rabbit were talking together and laughing together, the kangaroo would just pretend that he as smiling, although he was really sad about it. Do you know the kangaroo’s secret, Sungmin hyung?”

Sungmin shook his head, his tears falling down again. Kyuhyun smiled and wiped Sungmin’s tears with his thumb. “The kangaroo has loved the bunny for years. He regretted it when he ignored the bunny’s feelings for him, because he was too afraid that they were not really for each other. He thought that the bunny’s world was revolving around his world, and he felt assured of it until that time when the bunny found his happiness with the rabbit, who was more like him.”

Sungmin held Kyuhyun’s hand and smiled, but nothing came out from his mouth. That smile was the smile he was missing for days. It was very long ago when he saw Sungmin smiling at him. Kyuhyun waited for him to speak, but the older was silent.

“I love you, Min,” Kyuhyun said as he hugged Sungmin. Sungmin hugged him back. Kyuhyun spoke again, “I’m sorry. I’m really sorry because I never paid attention to what you do. But thank you because you made me realize that you are special to me.”

“I love you too, Kyu,” Sungmin confessed and let go from the hug. “I was just wondering, how did you know all about the story? I thought what happened to the bunny also happened to me... to us?”

Kyuhyun laughed aloud and held Sungmin’s hands. “Still didn’t get it? You’re really stupid, after all.”

Sungmin pouted. “Yah! Do you want me to be mad again?”

“No,” Kyuhyun shook his head and continued, “But do you want to know another kangaroo’s secret?”

“What?” Sungmin asked.

“I wrote that story.”