Who Am I Living For?

Your Love Is Off The Chain
Outside of his school gate, Baekhyun was waiting for Junmyun to pick him up. It was almost the same routine for him. Junmyun picking him up everyday from school to home since they were neighbors. Minutes passed but there was still no sign of Junmyun so Baekhyun started to be impatient. He grabbed his phone, tryig to call Junmyun.
 
"Yah! Where are you? I've been waiting here for ages!"
 
"Baekhyun-ah! Sorry, I .... I'm stuck in this traffic. But I think I'll be there in 5 minutes! Don't go anywhere, I'm coming!"
 
"Aiishh! Ok. I'll wait then but hurry up!" Baekhyun hung up, feeling a bit annoyed. He looked inside of the school and saw the teachers getting into their cars and leaving the school. He sighed, leaning on the wall near the gate. He was tired and hungry. Appearantly, being awake till morning just to study for his exam was the worst idea to begin with.
 
"Last day of school." He thought, somehow feeling relieved by knowing the fact that he will be done with school soon. He started to day-dream again, imaginning to become a singer who makes people scream his name and all the other exciting things. But then he remembered the last time when he had a huge argue with Junmyun about this. In the midst of these thoughts, he noticed a man in suit approaching his way. At first he thought that man is just a passenger so his eyes just followed the other way but once the man got closer, Baekhyun looked at him in confusion.
 
"Excuse me!" Said the man, fixing his sunglasses.
 
"Yes?" Baekhyun said as he stood normally.
 
"Are you ... Byun Baekhyun?"
 
"I am! Who are you?" 
 
"Uh! Hello." The man said, getting closer. "I'm from SM entertainment. I was there when you won on that rock festival weeks ago!"
 
"Uhhh, I see . . . " Baekhyun said immediately, surprised. 
 
"I would like to ask you to take an audition in our comapny which will be next week." The man then picked a business card from his pocket and point it in Baekhyun's direction. Baekhyun looked at the card, standing still, not sure if he should accept this or just refuse. In the middle of thinking on whether to get the card or not, the man just casually shoved the card into Baekhyun's pocket.
 
"You have a lot of times to think until next Sunday." He said, smiling at Baekhyun. He slowly started to walk away, leaving Baekhyun there dumbfounded. Baekhyun his right way, blinking for awhile before reality hit him. He started to call the man but it was too late. He looked at the card. Several times. "Is this for real?" He asked himself before the sound of horn from a car made him jump. He put the card on his pocket, approaching the car.
 
"Uh! Finally you came!" He said, getting into the car.
 
"Sorry! Heavy taffic because of an accident. How was your exam?" Said Junmyun with an apologetic smile.
 
"It was fine, I guess." Baekhyun said, relaxing on his seat. "I'm really tired and sleepy though." Baekhyun then closed his eyes.
 
"I told you not to study right one night before your exam! You never listen." Junmyun said, focusing on the road. Baekhyun smiled. He liked it seeing Junmyun nag at him like this, showing how worried and caring he is.
 
Junmyun was a very special person in his life. Growing up together since Baekhyun was 8. Although Junmyun was one year older but the two were so close and Baekhyun literally had no secret which Junmyun had no clue about. Being neighbors, they were always in each other's home. Whenever he had any problem Junmyun was always there to help. To Baekhyun, Junmyun was a mentor who knew better, or even the best. That's how Baekhyun was so depended on Junmyun.
 
 
Junmyun was a model student. A very polite and mature person and a smart- according to Baekhyun. His family was simply just rich who moved to the US several years ago but since Junmyun was not fond of living there, they decided to accept his choice of staying in Korea. Since then, he was living in a twin towers by himself where he was staying in 4th floor and Baekhyun's in 8th. He was known as someone who would always treat his friends to foods because he was cool like that. One of the top students in his school who got accepted into Korea National University of Arts majoring in musical theatre last year. 
 
 
"How's university?" Baekhyun suddenly asked after a moment of silence.
 
"Not bad. Practicing some new roles . . . !"
 
"Do you still have pain in your knee, hyung?" Baekhyun said in concern.
 
"It doesn't hurt that much." Junmyun said simply.
 
"You never take care of yourself, Hyung!" Baekhyun turned his head to the left, still leaning on the seat while looking at Junmyun.
 
"Luck wasn't on my side that day, it's okay."
 
"You always say this! Last time you broke your leg and the other time when you hurt your knee badly . . . "
 
"Is it your turn to nag at me?" Junmyun asked jokingly, laughing.
 
"You just care about others but how about yourself?" Baekhyun said. "You shouldn't get those injuries!" Junmyun looked at Baekhyun briefly while smiling, having nothing to say in reply. 
 
"And I'm sorry about last time! I should've not yelled at you on the phone!" Baekhyun rubbed his neck, remembering how he lost his temper that day.
 
"It's ok. I was never mad at you anyway."
 
"I still wonder . . . Why are you so against me becoming a singer?"
 
"Shall I repeat myself, Baekhyun-ah? Let me focus on driving!"
 
"But it's not like I have no talent! I- .. I won at that Rock festival! You said you will change your mind after that but once again you are underestimating me!" Baekhyun pouted, turning his head to look at the window.
 
"I'm saying this because you know I always want you the best, if not more, Baekhyun, I don't underestimate your talent but the competition in music industry is so high. You will need to have lots of lucks to get into a top company and become successful which is not something that you can achieve in a week!"
 
Baekhyun sighed, somehow what Junmyun said was true and he really hate it to admit but Baekhyun liked to think that it's nothing is impossible. 
 
Baekhyun didn't say anything. After winning first place in a rock festival, he believed that he can change Junmyun's mind but . . . he was wrong.
 
 
It was all silence in the car. Baekhyun was deep into thoughts. 
 
 
"I should go to the parking lot. You go home first, ok?" Junmyun said as the car stopped in front of the tower.
 
"Ok! See you around." Baekhyun said as he got out of the car, he stared at the car until it disappeared and then put his hand into his pocket.
 
For some reason, he couldn't bring himself to talk about the business card to Junmyun. He knew that Junmyun would try his best to stop him which he didn't want to happen. It's been months since Baekhyun decided to participate in every festival or competition at his school, having his only chance to show his talent. This was a challenege that Baekhyun was willing to risk his life on it. He was more certain than ever to prove Junmyun wrong. That he can do it. He can be an idol and that Junmyun doesn't need to be worried about him.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Days passed. Sunday was fast approaching and Baekhyun was still not certain if he should use this chance to audition for SM. He has not been able to talk about this to Junmyun either. It was useless anyway and he already knew that he would get to see the same reaction from Junmyun and he was kind of tired of hearing the same thing from him. Sometimes, he just couldn't understand Junmyun and his decisions. As someone who was smart enough to study in one of the top majors in the university, Junmyun was now studying in a major that was out of his character since Junmyun would always say how he liked Literature when he was still in high-school. In reply to Baekhyun's curiousity, Junmyun would always say that he just wants to satisfy his artistic needs. 
 
 
It was early morning on sunday. Baekhyun woke up with the sound of his alarm. He groaned, trying to stop it with his right palm. "Who the hell wakes up on this bloody hour in the morning! Aiishh!" He started to whine, kicking his blanket, giving on sleeping already. He then checked his phone. No up-coming events so he got up finally, going straight to the bathroom to take a short shower. 
 
This sudden nervousness was too much for him. This was a great chance to show what he has got yet he felt miserable. "What am I doing?" He wondered. Never been this confused in his life. He was supposed to study for entrance examination but instead, he practiced what he wanted to sing these few days.
 
 
"Mom, I'm going now!" Baekhyun said after checking himself in the mirror for several minutes. His mother nodded, encouraging Baekhyun while placing her hand on his shoulder. He was relieved that he could tell his parents about this event and they gladly accepted and even encouraged him. He wished he had the support of his more-than-best-friend Junmyun as well. He sighed, taking the elevator. He checked himself there once again before getting out of the building.
 
 
As soon as Baekhyun arrived at the place, he saw several people sitting in a corner. Some practicing dance steps, some practicing to sing for their friends and some just staring at the others looking hopeless. "Great, It seems like I should only have a ghost of chance to get accepted!" Baekhyun looked at them again. The looks he received were uncertain yet curious. 
 
They soon moved inside of the building with stuff giving them numbers with their names on them as well as asking each person for some personal information. Baekhyun got number 48. He sat on a chair, looking around. He was getting more nervous with each minute passing slowly. 
 
"What are they exactly doing inside that it takes them this much to come out!" A person said in annoyance. "I don't know, are they that great at singing? Tsk." Another person said in reply.
 
"I heard companies check girls' bodies as well! You know . . . " A guy said, laughing.
 
"Oh my god, really? I should have shaved my armpit and put on some make-up and they wouldn't even notice I'm a guy!" The guy and his friend laughed. 
 
"Ridiculous!" Baekhyun thought, rolling his eyes at those guys who were trolling. His throat became dry so he started to drink some water, trying to clear his throat. He saw several people coming out of the main room disappointed and some were complaining how unfair it was that they were rejected over little mistakes. Baekhyun sighed, biting his lower lip, worrying was all over his face. 
 
"Number 48! Go inside." Baekhyun stood up as soon as his number was called by the Ahjussi.
 
He started to walk and went inside, meeting three judges. A lady with big glasses and two men who seemed to be over 40 years old or something. He cleared his throat saying "Hello" to them and then standing still.
 
"Byun Baekhyun?" The lady called, while moving her glasses to have a better view on how Baekhyun looks like. Baekhyun nodded slowly.
 
"Did you apply eye-liner?" The lady asked suddenly. It caught Baekhyun off the guard.
 
"What? Uh ... A little!" He admitted, cheeks red while biting his lower lip. The other two men looked at him in a weird way. Their eyes were making him uncomfortable. They then whispered something to the lady and she nodded. Baekhyun swallowed. What if they reject him because of something small like that? SM are knwon for being so strict afterall.
 
"Hmm.... You look cool!" The lady commented. Baekhyun looked at her, surprised.
 
'Uh, thank you!" He said, voice unsteady a bit.
 
"Alright, grab the microphone and sing what you have prepared." One of the two men said.
 
"Yes sir!" He said approaching the microphone which was on the table near that lady. When he got closer, the lady looked at him straight in the eyes. Baekhyun got scared a bit so he tried to go back to his place in a rush.
 
"The- ... song that I have prepared is "Old song" by Kim DongRyul. It's a short remark." Baekhyun said, shifting the microphone on his hands.
 
"Go ahead!"
 
Baekhyun nodded, clearing his throat once again. He then closed his eyes and put the microphone closer to his mouth. A moment of silence to get focused and then he started to sing  . . .
 
"On the old tape and in the old days"
 
"Feeling envy of myself, missing you as well"
 
"Smiling after tears"
 
"Can't stop listening to this song, like a fool"
 
Baekhyun took a deep breathe and opened his eyes only to see judges eyes focused on him in disbelief. For a moment, Baekhyun bit his lip, shaking his head a little, disappointed. "." He said to himself. His voice was not supposed to crack at the end of the song. 
 
"Can I sing again?" He asked nervously but he met the shaking head of one of the two men. The atmospher became heavy for him and he felt uneasy. 
Another moment passed and the judges started to write something after whispering into each other's ears. Baekhyun's heart started to beat fast, he held into the microphone tightly.
 
 
"Baekhyun!" The lady's sudden voice made him jump. "You sang well! But do you think you deserve to get passed?" The lady raised an eyebrow.
 
"Wh- . . . " Baekhyun was taken aback by what he was hearing. He opened his mouth but there was nothing to come out. He became so nervous, forgetting why he was even there.
 
"Why do you want to become a singer, Baekhyun?" Baekhyun looked up, swallowing.
 
"I- .. like singing! I mean." He paused. "I love to sing." He sighed. The lady nodded.
 
"We usually don't pass people whose voice have cracked!" Baekhyun nodded in understanding already feeling like giving up.
 
"But . . . I like your voice already!" The lady said, smiling. Baekhyun's eyes became wide, afraid if he heard it wrong. "Congratulations! You passed." 
 
"Oh my ... Are you serious?" Baekhyun spoke up finally, holding his mouth.
 
"Yes. Here is your paper. Give it to the man who called your number." 
 
Baekhyun nodded and grabbed the paper, his shaking hands were obvious. He thanked the judges several times before closing the door, head leaning into it. "Uh, God I can't believe it. Am I dreaming?" Baekhyun took a deep breathe, looking at the paper again. A smile finally appearing on his lips . . .
 
 
 
 
 
[A/N] Hello ^^ I finally decided to write another story about SuBaek. I thought it would be better if I try to make Suho "center" this time but this story suited Baekhyun more so yeah /LOL . . . 
 
P.S The song that Baekhyun sang was the one he performed at Sukira Piano Concert. :)