Chapter 2: Unforgettable

APPA HYUNG (Contest Entry to AFF Summer Fic Writing Contest)

 

Chapter 2: Unforgettable

When Dongho was three, he was a young chubby kid.

Dongho was sitting busy eating a donut, and in front of him on a table was an orange soft drink in  a big plastic cup with a straw. His fifteen year old older brother Jaejoong was sitting beside him holding his cellphone with both hands texting.

It was a surprise and believed to be a miracle, when Dongho's parents found out, that his mother was pregnant with him. They had a hard time, when she was pregnant with Jaejoong, and when he was born, they thought that  he would be their only child. After several years, to their surprise, Dongho came along.  Everyone loved him, including Jaejoong. Their parents thought, he would be jealous, but, instead, was a devoted brother.

In absence of their parents, when both could not be around to look after Dongho, whenever he had a shoot or filming,  Jaejoong would come and accompany his little brother.

Both looked cool, handsome, and charming, seated there silently together. The young boy was wearing a plain olive green cargo pants with big pockets on the side of the legs, a sleeveless round-neck white t-shirt with a big anime picture in front and a small anime picture at the back, and his white rubber shoes had anime designs on the outer-sides, with white and neon green stripes on the strings of the shoes. The older brother on the other hand, was wearing a white v-neck shirt covered by a black collared polo, with the sleeves folded up to his elbow, olive green cargo jeans with two big pockets on each  sides, the adult version of what the younger one was wearing, and white rubber shoes. He had a beanie hat with skull designs on, and carried a shoulder bag with long straps across his shoulder, now resting on his side. He had two silver stud earrings on both sides of his ears and few rings on his fingers.

Like a curious child, he would look at the people around him, at times stared at them, and from time to time put his donut down to take the soft drink with both hands and drink from the straw. If, people waved at him, he smiled and waved back and give a slight bow of his head.  A lot of people found him charming and cute, which was a plus factor with him, being a child actor. Often, he will be approached by people and he would be smiling and talking with them, not be shy at all. His fans ranged from grandparents to children his age.  He has already done a few dramas in television and movies. And, in a very young age, already won a few prestigious awards.

His fans, sent him gifts, like toys, clothes, shoes, and food. Some of his fans even came to a set where they will be filming, and  would bring food to give him. He loved to taste all of them, and favored those that he found delicious. If, there were a lot of food, he would share them to the casts, crew and staff.   Right now, he was sitting in the waiting area at a new film set, waiting for his call for when his part was to be filmed. He was enjoying devouring a donut a fan gave him.

"Hyung, are they not going to call me, yet?"  asked with a mouth half filled with donut.

Jaejoong looked up, towards his side, at Dongho. He saw a lot of breadcrumbs on his mouth and clothes,  and surprised, Jaejoong’s eyes got big, "Ya!"  In a slight panic placed his cell phone down on the table, took the donut from the younger brother and placed it on a paper plate, and turned and looked for a tissue or towel in a bag near him, just beside his chair. He took the tissue paper he found, and faced Dongho, " Ya, pabo-ya, why did you let your clothes get dirty!" He wiped his brother’s face carefully, wiped his hands, and tried to clean the t-shirt as best he could.

"Sorry,  Hyung,"  Dongho apologized, mumbling his words, worried he'd be in trouble,

However, when he looked up, he found the worried look on his brother, with his mouth still half full of donut,  he smiled at him.

" Don't worry, no harm done.  I got it all cleaned up. Let's put a towel on you, so you don't get dirty."

The older brother placed the tissue back on the table and turned back to the bag near his chair to get a towel. He returned his attention to Dongho and arranged it on his clothes, tying the two corners on his back, "there, you are all set, just don't get dirty, especially, don't get yourself wet, or we'll be in trouble. We don't have any other set of these clothes for you, we need these for the continuation of your scene."

"I'm really sorry, Hyung,"  pouted with his lower lip protruded.

"You are so cute.” Jaejoong held his face with both hands and squeezed his cheeks, with lips formed in an 'O' with small dough on the edge corners of his lips and teeth, Jaejoong can't help half smiling, "I said, don't worry about it, okay? I see, you haven't finished your donut, go on, eat," he patted his cheeks, before letting go. "I said, it's okay. And, finish the food in your mouth."

Jaejoong looked at the box that still had a few donuts, "Hey, do you want me to help you finish your donut? hmm?"

Dongho gave small nods, eyes never leaving his brother.

"How about, you feeding me? hmm?"

A small smile broke from his lips, he turned from him, peering in and chose one in particular. Carefully, he reached in and took a donut from the box then held it with both hands turned to face his older brother, "Hyung," offered the donut, and placed it in front of his lips.  

Jaejoong took a bite, covers his lips with a hand, "Now, I am eating, go on eat," he was chewing his food. Dongho, saw his brother eat and continued to eat as well. Both watched each other chew their food. Small hands offered the donut again, and holding the small hands Jaejoong took another bite. After him, the holder took a bite as well. The two sibling smiled at each other as they shared the donut.
 

After he ate all those donuts, Dongho was sleepy, his turn was still not called, and he was nodding off in his chair.  Jaejoong put the chairs together and tapped the sleepy Dongho,  "Here, take a nap here. They will not be calling you for awhile, I guess. So, might as well get some sleep."

The younger brother climbed drowsily, and laid down. Seeing no pillow, Jaejoong took off his bag and placed it at his brother's head for a pillow.

Because there were no more seats available, Jaejoong took a towel and placed it on the ground beside the chair. He sat down on it, his back against the chair his legs in front of him. He took out his phone, got his earphone, and listened to music. After a while, he himself felt sleepy.  He turned his body and leaned against the chair, arms on top of each other, and placed his head  on his arms beside his brother.

A little drowsy, he yawned as he raised his head from his position and looked around. In front of him, he found his little brother still sleeping.  He felt that he needed to go to the comfort room, but there was nobody else who will be with Dongho. 'Maybe, he'll be safe here, I won't be long, anyway.'  

He slowly stood up, flexed his leg muscles a little, and stretched a little.  He looked one last time at his brother, and walked towards the comfort room. He has not gotten far, when he remembered his cellphone, his hands automatically went to his pockets, but it wasn’t there.

He walked back to the waiting area to get his cellphone, but when he entered, his brother was not there, "What? Where is he?"  He walked out and looked around with his eyes. A short distance, his eyes saw a man walking away, carrying someone in his arms, his instinct was telling him, it was Dongho. Shocked, his heart jolted and he ran after the man. He screamed at the top of his lungs, "HELP! HE GOT MY BROTHER! HE GOT DONGHO!"

People who heard, were surprised to alertness. Eyes followed Jaejoong running, and eyes followed his direction towards the man, who carried someone, also running away. Many ran towards the man to block his way or to stop him. Chaos ensued. People were running, shouting, many took out their cellphones, too.  Some were calling, some were taking  videos of what was happening.  Many caught up with the guy and got him cornered, and many hands were holding him, he would not easily let go of Dongho.  He was mumbling, "He is mine, he is mine, he is mine."

Dongho, bewildered with mouth slightly open, was awakened and frightened in shock, because of the chaos. Jaejoong was in the middle of it, hands already on Dongho and was trying to get his brother. The man was forced to let go, and Jaejoong quickly took his brother,  at first, Dongho was in the air with many hands on him; then he was turned around and was in the arms of Jaejoong, being held tightly.

Dongho was still in shock, very frightened, and did not know what to do, or how to react.  Jaejoong was mumbling, "Dongho, Dongho, Dongho. . . are you alright?"

Both, still had their hearts beating a mile a minute. The men, had the man, and they were holding him tightly.

Jaejoong was shaking, but adrenalin still flowed.  Dongho moved his head back a little, tried to see who was holding him, in a frightened, unsure voice, "Hyung?"  

"Dongho!" He looked at his younger brother’s face, and took deep breaths. In a shaky voice, he asked, "Are you alright?" Jaejoong did not notice the tears that started to flow from his eyes.

"Hyung?" Dongho embraced him, as soon as he saw the face of his brother. His arms went around his neck, and was holding on tightly, now, the tears started to come.

"Dongho? Are you alright?"

There was no response, but the hold around Jaejoong's neck got tighter.

Jaejoong's knees buckled, and while still holding his brother, he dropped to the ground. Both brothers were crying in each others arms.

People were patting them both, "It's alright, It's alright now," someone was saying, "It's okay."

Jaejoong was crying earnestly, sniffling, mumbling in a small voice, "Something almost happened to you, I almost lost you. I almost lost you."

From a distance, sirens could be heard coming closer.