Chapter 6: At the Red Carpet

APPA HYUNG (Contest Entry to AFF Summer Fic Writing Contest)

 

Chapter 6: At the Red Carpet

In the van, while they waited for their turn to step-out and be on the red carpet, “Jaejoong-hyung,” Dongho, nervously whispered his brother’s name, grabbed his hand and clasped it tightly.

Took his younger brother’s nervous hand to his chest then held it with both hands, he looked at him, and in a confident voice, he said, “I’m here, I’ll be beside you.”

He looked at his older brother, and, took some deep breaths. His heart was beating fast, he tried to fight his nerves, with a half-fake smile and a bit of a frown, he said, “If, you say so,” eyes squinting at him, “ don’t you dare, leave my side!”

“Of, course, I’m here aren’t I?”

“Can we hold hands, while we’re walking?” he asked with a serious face.

“No, of course not, you’re a young man, and this is a red carper occasion. I don’t think, people will look kindly on it.”

“You are my brother, so, it should be alright. People know, I get nervous in such a big crowd.”

“Maybe, from time to time,  or when,  people are really crowding you, but, not the whole way through the red carpet.”

“Why not?”

“Dongho, this is how it is. Try to enjoy the moment, your fans are waiting for you out there, wave a hand to them, and, smile.”

 
He was pouting, and did not answer back.

Out of the blue, he said, “Maybe, we should just quit.”

“What?” He was surprised, by that statement of his younger brother.

“After this, I am quiting, and just go to school. I’ll finish all the signed contracts, but, we will not accept, any more contracts of any kind. I’ll tell our parents.”

“You have to remember, you still have a contract with your agency.”  Jaejoong was thinking, on what it would mean for his brother not to be an actor anymore. He was drawing too many scenarios in his head for the possibilities.

“I know, it’s ending soon, I’m going to tell them, that I am just not renewing it.” Dongho had such a serious look, with determination written all over his face.

“You, decided these things? When?” a puzzled look on his face, and it’s dawning on him that his brother was thinking of these things, maybe, for quite awhile now. 
 
He did not answer.


‘Maybe, it’s for the good, and then he would not be so afraid. Perhaps, he can live a normal life. And then perhaps, I will not be so afraid for him, either.’

“After tonight, we will tell our parents, and talk more about these things.  We’ll have a family meeting.” he squeezed his hand for assurance.

“But . .”

“We will decide together as a family. And, I know that our parents, do think of you first, before anything else. Our priority is you, and what is best for you. We have your back. You know that, right?”

He agreed with a nod of his head, and then inhaled and exhaled deep breaths.

“Appa Hyung.”

“We can do this.”

Someone knocked on the van’s door, a signal that it was their turn to come out.

“It is going to be alright, Dongho, now, are you ready? It’s time.”

He inhaled then exhaled another deep breath. He nodded his head.

Jaejoong went out first, and Dongho followed closely after him. Fans went wild, screamed, and then shouted his name, “Dongho, Dongho, Dongho” There were hands reaching out towards him. Some were shouting Jaejoong’s name too, “Jaejoong, Jaejoong, Jaejoong”

Dongho shyly nodded his head to his fans, to his left and then to his right. He raised his hand, and gave a small wave to them. The fans screamed some more. Jaejoong was standing just at the back of Dongho, he looked around, his eyes went to the people near them, and then to the fans. He gave them a smile and a nod, too. Dongho looked first at his brother, to know if he was with him, before he took a step forward.

Dongho was walking slowly, with Jaejoong slightly to his right, and he waved to his fans, when he suddenly felt a pain on his chest. His knees buckled.  Jaejoong was surprised, to see him staggered towards him, and  tried to catch him. Screams could be herd around them.

Jaejoong thought, Dongho  tripped and faltered in his step, but then he was going to the floor with his weight on him, he called him, “Dongho,” then he saw blood, “what happened, Dongho!” all of a sudden,  he became worried and afraid for his younger brother.

 
“Hyung,” he choked in a whisper, he was in shock and  frightened, ‘What is happening,’ he was having a hard time breathing, blood was coming out of his mouth, and he tried to clasp the arm of his older brother. He was choking on his own blood, and barely whispered, ”It hu. .rts, Ap. .pa,” he felt woozy, his eyes were becoming blurry, and then suddenly, it was getting cold, at first it was his fingers then his feet, and then it was getting colder, ‘Am I dying? NO!’  then he felt, as if he was lying on ice. The air around him was colder, chills was running down his spine.

‘I have to call my brother, Hyung, Appa Hyung, it’s cold, help me,  Appa. . ‘

Dongho!” He called his name,  he saw Dongho lost consciousness, “Dongho!”

‘It’s dark, all of a sudden,  I’m floating. Appa Hyung . .’
 
“Dongho! Hold on! I am going to get you to the hospital,” he turned to a bodyguard, and spoke,  "Get the van! Now!”  he carried his brother, and men helped him carry him, and they half-ran and half-walked towards the van. “Move! Move!” someone was shouting.
 
 
The van was already moving, and in the van, he had Dongho in his arms, he shouted, “Drive fast, to the hospital!”

He looked at his pail brother, he held him tightly to his chest, his head close to his head, and in an anguished whisper, “Dongho! Dongho! Please! Please, don’t die! Please!” his tears were falling unchecked.

The others closer to him, heard his voice, and could only witnessed in silence.

Someone found  towels, and inserted one between the brothers, the other towel on Dongho’s back, and then pressed them on his chest and back. Jaejoong took the towel between him and his brother,  held it and pressed it  towards Dongho, and the other person held the other towel.

Except for the hummed of the van, or when the driver blew the horn, inside the van was hushed silence.