Chapter 5: A Moment of Fear

APPA HYUNG (Contest Entry to AFF Summer Fic Writing Contest)

 

Chapter 5: A Moment of Fear

"Have your shower, while I take care of the dishes," Jaejoong said, picking up the dishes and turning his back. He walked and carried them to the basin. He looked at his brother and spoke over his shoulder, "and, don't be too long, we still have to go to the parlor, to have your make-up done."

Dongho was still sitting, "Aren't you having any make-up done, too?"

"Of course not, I'm not the one, who's going to be in television." he returned his head back towards the basin and opened the faucet.

"But, Appa Hyung, you will be coming with me, and they will see you in television, too."

"No worries there, I'm just going to be in the background." he started rinsing the plates.

"Appa Hyung, I want you to be right beside me."

He closed the faucet and  turned around and faced him, " I will be, right beside you, don't worry."

"Then wear your tux as well.  I don't want to be the only one wearing a tux."

"Won't I look funny wearing a tux, when, I'll only be in the background?" he asked with an amused look on his face.

"You'll be with me, and anyway, my fans and you got your own fans, they would love to see you in a tux for sure."

"I am not in show business. Why do I have to be suited up as well?" he answered, finding the conversation really amusing.

"I will not wear my tux if you don't wear yours as well," he answered back with a frown.

"You, really don't want to go, ha? That is why you're being like this," Jaejoong retorted, reading his brother pretty well.

Dongho only looked at him and continued to frown.

"Alright, alright, you win, now go and take your shower." Dongho did not stand up at once, and Jaejoong  put on his stern face."Go!"

Reluctantly, Dongho stood up, and went to the bathroom to have a shower. Jaejoong could only watch the back of his brother with a shake of his head. He turned back to the basin, and started washing the dishes.

After, Dongho showered, Jaejoong took his turn, and had a shower, too.  And not long afterwards, both brothers were ready then to go to the parlor, they brought with them the clothes they would be wearing to the award ceremony. And, will change clothes afterwards in the parlor.



Waiting to have his make-up done, Dongho was sitting looking bored, the make-up artist had already prepared her things on the table, but had just stepped away for a second to answer a phone call. He looked at his image at the mirror then looked around the parlor through the reflection from the mirror. There were a few clients in the parlor. They already had their appointment set a few weeks ago, for this night for the award ceremony.

Dongho was wearing a printed hooded jacket, over a white round neck t-shirt, jeans, and gray snickers. Jaejoong was wearing almost the same thing, except, his hooded jacket was plain black.  

"Would you like something to drink, tea, coffee, juice or water? While, you are waiting?" the assistant offered Dongho and Jaejoong.

"Hyung?" he looked at his brother sitting right beside him.

He looked at the assistant; then looked back at Dongho, "hmm How about some tea?" he asked him.

"hmm Alright," he turned to the assistant, and said, " Tea, please."

She bowed a little, and left to get the tea.

"It's a cloudy day, maybe, it's going to rain."

"I have an umbrella in the car, we can use, if it rains."

Just then the make-up artist came back, and was ready to do Dongho's make-up.

And after awhile, he was done with his make-up and hair style. He carried his clothes and went to the dressing room to change to his tux. Jaejoong allowed a little make-up be applied on his face, just to appease Dongho, and he then let the hair stylist do his hair, too. Afterwards, he went to the second dressing room, and changed to his tux as well.

Sitting on one of the sofa at the waiting area with his jacket was hanging on the back of the sofa,  Jaejoong looked at his watch, but Dongho has not come out of the dressing room yet. 'What is taking him, so long?'

He stood up and went to the dressing room and knocked on the door, "Dongho? Are you alright in there?"

Dongho, opened the door, and Jaejoong went inside, "What is taking you, so long?"

Dongho faced the mirror and looked at his reflection. Standing behind his brother, Jaejoong looked at themselves- at their images in the mirror, "What is wrong?"

"Appa Hyung . . let's not go tonight."

"We are already suited, and made up."

"Let us go and eat some beef stew.  I promise, I will finish a whole bowl."

Jaejoong placed his arms around him, and held him, Dongo placed his arms above his and held his arms, their heads are close together, side by side. He whispered, "What is wrong, Little Bear? What is bothering you? Tell me."

"I don't want to go."

"But, why? The closer this day come, the gloomier you've become."

"There will be a lot of people there."

"We have been to a lot of award ceremonies, and you will be fine. Don't worry too much about it, you'll be fine."

He turned around, and hugged him tightly, his arms going around his waist, "Appa Hyung, I'm afraid," he said with a broken voice.

Jaejoong’s arms went around his brother, and with a soft voice he whispered, "Please, don't cry, baby, I'm sorry, don't let these tears blur the happiness of your memories my love, my Little Bear. I'll always be here for you, I'll always take care of you. Don't let these fears, over shadow your life, don't let them become mountains, giants, and ghosts, that you will always be afraid of them. You have overcome so much, in such a young age, you are strong, stronger than you think."

"Appa Hyung."

"ssshhh It's alright, everything will be alright." He patted him on the back, and then massaged his back, "tonight, you are, nominated in several categories. And, most likely to win. A feat most actors want in life. And still, you are very young."

"Appa," Dongho sighed.

"sssshhhh Everything is going to be alright. I will be right beside you, I will not go anywhere. From the car, to the red carpet, and right to your seat, I'll be beside you."

He choked, and said, "Okay."

He moved away a little, hands still on each others waist, when Jaejoong looked at his face with a half-smile-half-frown, "I think, we have to ask, the make-up artist to re-do your make-up."

He turned around and looked at his face on the mirror, "Oh"

The older brother placed a hand on his shoulder, with a smile looking at their images on the mirror, "Don't worry, she is good at her job, she can do a great job, retouching your make-up."

Dongho  only half-smiled and half-frowned at his Appa Hyung, "Yes, of course."
 
Jaejoong smiled at his famous younger brother, who was blessed with a gift, wherein, people loved and hated  him for it. He could only try and keep him safe, from those who wished him harm, and, bodyguards were a daily necessity for Dongho, as far as he was concerned. He was being caged for his talent. If only, he was not so famous, and be just an ordinary kid. Then, perhaps, I’ll see him smile more often.

Lightly squeezed his shoulder, the older sibling said, “Come on let’s get out of here, and, let’s have your make-up retouched.”