First Day

Identity

Okay you guys! You asked for EXO, and now I'm going to give you EXO! But only a little bit....no actual EXO members are introduced, but names are mentioned. Oh, and special shout-out to missya! You are awesome, gurl! Thanks for being the first to subscribe every time! ;)

–SeriouslyOMG
 
PEASE READ AUTHOR'S NOTE BELOW--IMPORTANT MESSAGE
______________________________________________________
 
Jaeyoung P.O.V.
 
Three letters. WOW. Yes, my new family's house wasn't exactly a big and grand mansion as I imagined and envisioned in my dreams, but it was still pretty snazzy. The flooring and overall structure of the place was great– much better than that of the orphanage– and the little details, like the vanilla scented candles or the vintage rug, made the house just that much more welcoming. 
 
I looked around and marveled at every little sight I saw. I mean, how couldn't I after being cooped up and kept from exploring the world like every other person my age? 
 
There were so many firsts I've experienced already. Riding a car was one. Back at the orphanage, we always walked or took the bus. The orphanage couldn't even afford a working heater, much less a fireplace. And now here I was, sitting in front of one of them. 
 
The lady's daughter– sorry, I meant "my new older sister"– tapped me on the shoulder. "I'm going to bring you up to your room now," she said with a straight face. As we walked upstairs, I thought about her. She was just laughing her head off earlier in the car and now she was as cold as ice....what was going on?
 
I was about to ask her if she was okay, but then I realized I didn't even know what to call her. "Mother's daughter?" No, that just sounds plain weird. I kept thinking and thinking, and then I remembered my new mother and what she called her. I think it was....Opal?
 
"Um....Opal-sshi?"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"U-um...is there a certain way I should address you?"
 
"Well, I personally think "Opal-sshi" is way too formal...so "Unnie" or just "Opal" is fine..."
 
"Oh...I see...um..."
 
"Is it weird?"
 
"Hmm?"
 
"Do you think having Opal for a name is weird?"
 
I was slightly shocked. She thought I disliked her name? Well, yes, it wasn't exactly the most common name Koreans name their children, but it wasn't like she was born and raised here. From what I heard in car from my adoptive mother, Opal was born and raised in the US because her father was American. Was she bullied about her name at some point for her to be so sensitive over it?
 
Apparently, my silence was taken as a "yes" to Opal's question, and she awkwardly continued walking up the stairs. When we finally reached my room, she quickly handed me a pair of keys and practically bolted downstairs. Looks like I'm going to have to clear up this misunderstanding another time...
 
Opal P.O.V.
 
I asked her if she thought my name was weird. I guess even asking her a question like that is pretty weird in itself isn't it?
 
Sometimes I hate being bi-racial.  The stares, the gossiping, the stereotypes that always seem to follow me wherever I go...sometimes I get sick of it all. So I ignore it. Maybe that's why I'm so good at zoning out and drowning out any unwanted noise. 
 
People treat you differently just because of your lineage, and that ticks me off. So what if I'm American, that doesn't mean I'm any less Korean am I? I can speak, read, and understand Korean perfectly. I look Korean. I have Korean taste buds. What more do you want from me?
 
Well, now that I think about it, I have no right to be saying these things. I'm saying these things about family when my very own adoptive sister was abandoned by her own family. So, I guess I should be more grateful for who I am...but sometimes I just can't help but detest it. 
 
Narrator P.O.V.
 
It has been a few months since Jaeyoung entered the family, and she was starting to fit in pretty well. Things were still kind of awkward between Opal and Jaeyoung, but they were on better terms than before. Summer was coming to an end and soon it was the morning that school started.
 
"...ah...young-ah.....JAEYOUNG!!!!!"
 
Jaeyoung jumped out of bed like a fish out of water and landed with a dull, but heavy thud on the floor. Forcing her eyes open to see the culprit, Jaeyoung looked up and saw the face of her older sister staring down at her unsympathetically. Slowly, she rose from the ground, rubbing her aching bottom.
 
"You're finally up huh, saeng?" 
 
"What? What do you mean final– OH MY GOD!!!!"
 
Jaeyoung looked to her right and immediately rushed to the bathroom upon seeing the time. 7:21 AM. She was going to be late. No sooner had she bolted out, she bolted back in, fully-dressed in the school uniform. "HURRY UNNIE!!! WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE!!!"
 
Opal smirked playfully. "You mean you're going to be late. Remember? I'm a second year. We have later classes than first years." (A/N: Given that I don't live in Korea, I obviously don't know how the school system works over there. But just for the sake of the fanfic's "flow", I'm making it so that the second and third years have later classes than the first years)
 
Jaeyoung stuck her tongue out at Opal. "I hate you! Humph!" 
 
And with that, the girl walked (or rather ran) out the front door. Opal smiled and sighed. What ever was she going to do with her adorable little sister? Still having a few minutes or so before she had to leave for school, she sat down at the dinner table and reached out to the plate of blueberry muffins their mother always baked for breakfast. Only...there were no muffins left on the plate.
 
Opal squinted her eyes. You are so dead, Song Jaeyoung!
 
Jaeyoung P.O.V.
 
I sat on the bus, silently chewing as I watched the cars move past me out the window. I grinned when I imagined Opal unnie's face when she realized I had taken both of our muffins. Hah! Take that, unnie!
 
I wonder what's school going to be like....according to Opal unnie, we were attending Seraph Academy. Last night I looked it up and was surprised to find out that it was not only an academic school, but also a performing arts school. 
 
No wonder Opal unnie likes school so much. I am the only who knows that her hidden passion is dancing so far and wow, is she good at it. Sometimes I have her dance for me to take a break from my studies. Opal unnie explained it to me once, but I never really quite understood her. She said something about "feeling the rhythm of the music" and "moving your body in step with all the beats and melodies". All I can say is, if unnie ever decides to not become a dancer, she could totally become a poet.
 
Before I know it, the bus comes to a stop. I get up and get in line behind a dude to un-board the bus. Right away I noticed his face. It was clear–no blemishes, nothing. Wow, that guy must be a celebrity or something...his skin complexion is better than Mom's!
 
He gets off, and I get off right after him. That was when I realized he was also wearing the Seraph Academy uniform. So he's a student here, too! I tried to sneak a peek at his name tag but failed. I wonder what his name is...
 
Opal P.O.V.
 
I stood in front of the school entrance waiting for Jaeyoung to show up. I have later classes than her, but because she stole my muffin (MY blueberry muffin that Mom made specially for ME) I decided I was going to show up earlier than her and surprise her. 
 
Suddenly I heard a loud–scratch that– an ear-shattering scream. "KYAAAAAA!!!!!EXO OPPAS!!!!!!!"
 
I mentally face palmed. How was it that just twelve boys could capture the hearts of over 90 percent of the school's female population? 
 
"Kris oppa! Look over here!"
"Kya!!!! Kai oppa looked my way!"
"Sehun oppa looks so dreamy~"
 
The list goes on and on...Don't get me wrong, I don't hate EXO. No, in fact I am–or rather was– good friends with Luhan and Lay. It was back in middle school and those two, me, and a few others formed our very own dance crew. Ah, those were the good times. But then things happened and now weren't aren't so close anymore.
 
I somehow managed to find Jaeyoung amidst all the screaming and fainting bodies. "Jaeyoung! Over here!" I scream. When I finally got a hold of her hand, I pulled her toward a nice quiet place where we could talk. 
 
"Unnie! Oh my gosh, I thought I was going to die!"
 
"It's okay, I'm here for you. Try to avoid them okay? You don't want to get caught up in that mess."
 
"Who? Those guys all those girls were fangirling over?"
 
"Yes. They're called EXO. I don't quite get what all those girls are making a fuss over, but I don't want you getting hurt so just stay away from them, kay?"
 
"Sure....."
 
Jaeyoung P.O.V.
 
After that little lecture, unnie went off to find her homeroom classmates and I made my way to the auditorium for the entrance ceremony.
 
Woah! There were so many incoming students just like me! I sat down, and waited for the assembly to start. After a speech by the student council president, the principal walked out and I was dazzled. The principal was an attractive twenty year old brown haired woman clad in a black peplum blouse, a matching pencil skirt, and two inch pumps. Talk about stylish! 
 
"It a pleasure to see so many aspiring artists and devoted students sitting in this auditorium and I am proud to say that these students shall be the first years of Seraph Academy! I'm sure the student council president, Hyunwoo, already explained all the technical stuff–the rules and guidelines a student must follow, as well as behavior and other sorts– so all I will say is this. When you're here, do not worry about who you were a year ago. Think about who you aspire to be and who you will be in the future. Always look ahead, and you will find yourself enjoying every step of the way. Thank you, and please enjoy your first year here at Seraph Academy!"
 
I smiled and found myself nodding to everything the principal said. When she finished her ending statement, all I could think of was "AMEN". I had a feeling that I was really going to like this school!
 
After the principal left the stage, twelve familiar guys walked on stage. Oh no...it's them! EXO! Right away, I noticed that fair-skinned dude I saw on the bus. Why was he up there? Could it be...that he was a part of EXO?!?!
 
Each of them introduced themselves from left to right, and after every introduction a loud "KYAAAA!!!" followed. My poor ears....
 
When it finally got to that guy there were only two people left. They kind of looked like twins... Two microphones were handed to the both of them and they both introduced themselves at the same time.
 
"Anyeonghaseyo, I'm...."
"Anyeonghaseyo, I'm...."
 
__________________________
 
OKAY OKAY OKAY DON'T KILL ME. Sorry for leaving such a giant cliff hanger guys!
Feel free to throw virtual tomatoes and rocks at me....BUT NO REAL ONES PLEASE. LOL XD
 
ANYWAY PLEASE READ THE MESSAGE I HAVE BELOW. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT GUYZ. 
 
 
Hey! SeriouslyOMG here! If you read my other stories before, then you probably already know that I'm going to be away on vacation and that my fanfics will be on hold. Since this fic is a co-fic (two people take turns writing chaps and editing) it looks like any future chaps will have to wait until I return from my vacation. JEONGMAL MIANHAE ;( 
 
I will be writing ore chapters while I am away, I just won't update them until I get back home. SO DO NOT FREAK OUT. THERE WILL BE LOTS OF UPDATES WHEN I RETURN, I PROMISE. SARANGHAE~ <3
 
I AM SOOOOOOO SORRY (T^T) WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW SORRY I AM FOR LEAVING YOU WITH SUCH A LARGE CLIFFHANGER. I HOPE THIS CHAPTER OF 1,500+ WORDS MAKES UP FOR IT. I CAN'T JUST LEAVE EVERYTHING TO MY COAUTHOR KRISMEDEER, YOU KNOW. WRITING, EDITING, REVISING, AND POSTING TAKES A LOT OF WORK AND TIME.
I CAN'T JUST DUMP ALL THE WORK ON HER, SO PLEASE UNDERSTAND. THANK YOU~~~~~~