bad news.

everybody but us
{A/N - listen to shinee's sleepless night when you read this. it might set the mood since i actually listened to it when i wrote it!!}
 
The next day was Saturday. The group saw it as their heavenly day to do whatever they pleased. They had tried to reach Key and Sooyoung to wake up early to go to the beach a few hours of a drive away, but the female of the two was still asleep and Key said he had to finish cleaning up their mess. By the time the sun began peeking through the curtains, he was awake and up around the house, removing any empty cups or snack wrappers as he did. 
 
Moving to the bathroom, he groaned at his reflection; his eyes were puffy and his hair was tousled, the result of his lack of sleep due to him stressing over what had happened with Sooyoung last night. He barely focused on rinsing his face or brushing his teeth, groaning again when the tall brunette emerged from his room. She shuffled quietly into the bathroom and leaned against the wall for him to finish.
 
"What do you want for breakfast?" he muttered, averting her gaze.
 
"Anything? Hyuk's taking me for food soon, so..." Nodding, he slipped through the doorway and escaped to the kitchen, not wanting to be reminded of the night before. Haphazardly spreading butter over two slices of bread, he rested them on a plate just before his female counterpart made her way downstairs, already showered and dressed.
 
"You got ready pretty quickly." With a laugh, Key slid the plate over to her and sat in the other stool. She grinned with a good-natured shrug, sitting in front of her plate and taking a bite. Using her free hand to catch any crumbs, she brought it to his mouth and fed him a bite.
 
"I just thought I should hurry since Hyuk will be here in a few minutes."
 
"I thought you were going lunchtime?"
 
"Apparently he has something important to tell me."
 
"R-Really now." Biting at the inside of his cheek, the male of the two nodded with a sigh. "Well, have fun. The guys were going to the beach but I think Jonghyun stayed home thanks to his massive hangover. I'll go check him out."
 
"Later, Key." Sooyoung gave a small wave as she took her phone in hand, smiling at Eunhyuk's text. She was careful to rinse her dish and put it away, about to creep out the door when Key shouted down the stairs.
 
"Take your jacket!" 
 
"I will!" She giggled to herself, lifting the black fabric off of the chair nearby before closing the door behind her. Peeking down the stairs to make sure she wasn't around, Key pulled his own phone out and sent a quick text to Jonghyun so he'd know that he'd be coming.
 
- - - - - - -
 
"Hey, Bummie." Sodam, Jonghyun's older sister, swung the door open as he knocked within two seconds. He smiled at the older girl, peeking in behind her.
 
"Hi, Dammie. Is Jonghyun alive and well?"
 
"Considering he nearly drowned in alcohol last night at your place, you should be the judge of that." Snickering into her palm, she stepped aside to let him pass and go to Jonghyun's room without any problems. He knew his way around the home the same as his own, considering the only two people living there were the two siblings.
 
"Jong," he called as he stepped into his friend's bedroom to find a bundle under the sheets. Smacking the highest part of it which he assumed was his back, he laughed as the older male groaned and peeked over the edge of the fabric.
 
"Mmm."
 
"Wake up!"
 
"Mmm."
 
"If you don't I'll call Jessi-"
 
"I'm up!" Within an instant he sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes with an annoyed groan. He gripped his head in the usual way he would after a regular hangover of his. "Why aren't you with Soo?"
 
"She went on a date with Eunhyuk." Key spat out the older male's name with a scowl, making Jonghyun raise his eyebrows, now fully awake.
 
"You let her?"
 
"I'm not in any position to stop her." He shrugged half-heartedly.
 
"When will you tell this girl you like her?"
 
"I don't. We fought last night and she's being really dumb."
 
"Is she now." Jonghyun crossed his arms over his bare chest, amused.
 
"Yeah. So, you know what? I don't like her, no matter what you think."
 
"Key, stop denying it. You act like an idiot around Sooyoung. This right now, either you both hit a bump in the road in the friendship or it's going to the next level and neither of you know what to do about it. I'm more convinced it's the second option."
 
"But I really don't like Soo-"
 
"Listen to yourself! Key, I've been your best friend, excluding Sooyoung, for six years. I know you and you need to stop denying how much you like her. It's not like she's a bad person anyways, why are you so afraid? Everyone already sees it, why can't you?"
 
"Everybody but us?" Key dropped onto the foot of the bed, covering his face with his hands. "She obviously likes Eunhyuk, am I supposed to tell her I like her now and make her feel bad?" 
 
"I'm not saying right now, but at least get it off your chest. That's what I did with Jessica and it turned out fine."
 
"But there wasn't another guy in the picture."
 
"True. You just need to take a chance, alright?"
 
"Wise words from hungover Kim Jonghyun." Laughing, he ducked as the older male tossed a pillow at him just before his phone rang. Unable to recognize the number he cleared his throat, speaking in a formal tone.
 
"Hello...? Yes it is...what? How...?" His expression became panicked and shocked, making Jonghyun perk up in curiousity. "Where is she now...? When can I see her...? Okay. Okay, thank you."
 
"What's up?"
 
"My grandma's in the hospital."
 
- - - - - - -
 
"This is really good," Sooyoung grinned her approval as Eunhyuk held up another bite of the flaky apple tart in his hand. His mother wasn't around to open the bakery yet, so he was able to bring her for breakfast.
 
"I'm the one that got it on the menu, thank you very much." He grinned, resting his elbows on the table as he looked at the tall brunette. Stretching a hand over, he caught her by surprise as he swiped away a bit of jam from the side of .
 
"So, what's this big news of yours?" Sooyoung leaned forward herself, taking the other's hand in hers as she played with his fingers. 
 
"Well, I was wondering...we're good friends, right?" Eunhyuk bit his lower lip hesitantly. He took her nod as a sign to continue. "And you've never had your first kiss, have you?"
 
"Nope."
 
Eunhyuk scoffed, inching a bit closer to her so that he could take her chin in his hand and press his lips to hers. The tall brunette widened her eyes, a bit taken aback as they shut themselves. She instinctively moved her lips against his, a bit disappointed. Her first kiss felt like nothing she had imagined, no spark or fluttering heartbeat. She almost let out a sigh of relief as he leaned back, a sheepish smile on his face.
 
"S-Sorry..."
 
"Don't apologize, it was nice." Sooyoung smiled, patting his hand.
 
"I just wanted you to know I really like you, even though Key does, too..."
 
"Key doesn't like me!" She perked up automatically and shook her head.
 
"Really?"
 
"Yeah..."
 
"Okay..."
 
- - - - - - -
 
"Tell her you like her, whether she feels the same way or not it'll be off your chest."
 
Jonghyun's advice echoed in Key's mind as he paced his living room, waiting for another call to come from the hospital to let him know when it was okay to see her. Suddenly his ringtone echoed through the silence and he lunged at his phone, groaning when he realized it was the school.
 
"Hello...? Yes...What?!?" His jaw dropped as he continued to listen. "Okay, sir...yes. Goodbye."
 
Hanging up he threw the phone onto the couch and tugged at his hair in frustration. ", , ..."
 
"Hey, Key." Sooyoung stepped through the door, a smile on her face that was quickly replaced by a frown. "What's wrong?"
 
"Not now, Soo." 
 
"But-"
 
"I said not now!" he shouted, making her jump and practically back up into the door. "Why can't you listen to me for once?"
 
"I didn't even do anything..."
 
"Just...give me a second."
 
"No, you listen! I'm tired of your mood swings lately and all we do is argue!"
 
"Oh, I'm sorry, I don't think you're the one who just found out they're on the verge of losing their scholarship and that your grandmother got a heart attack and she's in the ing hospital!" Hearing Key's voice crack from shouting she flinched, her eyes widening in shock.
 
"W-What?"
 
"Forget it, you should just go back to Eunhyuk already." The male of the two scoffed.
 
"What's wrong with Hyuk now? Just because you're stressed doesn't mean for you to take out all of your stress on me like some punching bag. It's your attitude like this that makes me even happier he-"
 
"He what?"
 
"He kissed me. Problem?"
 
"He kissed you...?"
 
"So?"
 
"Nothing." Key's shoulders slumped and he took his jacket up from the counter, shrugging it onto his shoulders as Sooyoung looked at him. He shook his head, making his way to the front door.
 
"Where are you going?"
 
"Out."
 
"Key-"
 
"You don't need to worry about me anymore, Sooyoung." Something about the way he said her full name made her feel hurt, as if he wasn't comfortable anymore to call her 'Soo'. She met his gaze and practically felt her heart break as she noticed tears in his eyes. "You don't have to put up with a sorry excuse for a best friend like me anymore, you can just leave."
 
And with that he slammed the door, leaving a very shaken Sooyoung in the living room.