agreements.

everybody but us

 

Sooyoung held her hand above her eyes to shield her sight from the glare of the sun, rolling her eyes at the sight of a certain raven-haired fellow running from the other side of campus to meet her.
 
"What took you so long?!? I'm starving..." The tall brunette crossed her arms with a slight pout that made Key scoff and ruffle her hair, an action that always annoyed her.
 
"You're not annoyed with your best friend, are you?" He messed up her hair once more and laughed as she groaned, tugging her arm in the direction of the cafe. The two stood respectively in the line as Sooyoung bought a sandwich. Key wasn't really that hungry, anyways. After that they found a seat at a table near a few of their close friends.
 
"Jessica, I see your hand." The group burst out laughing as the older girl blushed and jerked her hand away from Jonghyun's leg.
 
"Hey, leave my baby alone." Jonghyun affectionately tugged her closer which made the others groan in fake disgust.
 
"I THOUGHT YOU WEREN'T HUNGRY!" Their attention returned to the two newcomers, where Sooyoung was glaring at Key who had her sandwich inches away from her open mouth. "PUT IT DOWN." He smirked playfully and moved it closer, sticking out his tongue a little. "KIM KIBUM!"
 
"What will you do if I really eat it?" He threatened, glancing at her over the top of the crust.
 
"Don't. Test. Me."
 
Seconds later, Key had devoured the sandwich and Sooyoung had managed to shove him onto the ground, kicking him every so often.
 
"I said don't test me," she grinned, happily taking one of Minho's fries.
 
"I will get you back for this, just wait," he grunted as he pushed up from the floor and into his sear again.
 
"Why won't Sooyoung admit that she likes Key already?" Onew whispered to Yuri, who shrugged and flinched as the topic of conversation stretched over her.
 
"Onew, you're a horrible whisperer. And why would I like Key, he's disgusting. And gay."
 
"Gay?" The male of the two gasped, leaning over to her so close that their faces were only inches apart, much like the sandwich and Key's lips a few minutes ago. "I'm not gay, Soo."
 
She smirked, leaning back a bit. "Are you sure?"
 
"Do I need to prove it?"
 
"Ew."
 
"Thought so." He chuckled and sunk into his seat with an assumed victory.
 
"You guys would make a cute couple," the ever-innocent Taemin called from Yoona's side.
 
"Why does everyone keep saying that..." Key muttered and looked down at his lap with an eye roll. Sooyoung followed suit, stretching for another one of Minho's fries.
 
"We're best friends, you know that." Sooyoung protested, shrugging it off. "I hate when best friends end up together anyways, it's so cheesy."
 
"Excuse?" Jessica raised her eyebrows, amused.
 
"I hate when best friends end up together anyways, it's so cheesy," Sooyoung laughed, dodging the other girl's impromptu attack by means of an empty ketchup packet.
 
Just then the bell rang and the group dispersed to their respective classes. Sooyoung, luckily had a free with Key so she was able to get another sandwich. On Key, of course. The two sat in the school's atrium, swinging their feet over the edge of the wall they were perched on.
 
"You know, the guys need to stop bothering us about hooking up. It's really annoying." The male of the two glanced over at his best friend, awaiting her input.
 
Sooyoung meanwhile, purposely began chewing slower to stall her response. Granted, she was telling the truth when she said that best friends who got together were cheesy, and she'd always sworn it'd never happen to her. But these past few days, she'd started to notice the little things in Key. The way he'd pout at her insults, the way he'd smile when she told her lame jokes, the way he always had a mischievious glint in his eyes that highlighted his good looks. It can't be anything more than just finding him attractive right?
 
"Hello?" He waved his hand in front of her face and she stopped zoning out, jumping as he did and nearly falling backwards off of the wall. His hands instinctively grabbed her shoulders and steadied her and she blinked up at him. "You okay?"
 
"Y-Yeah, I just spaced out for a second." She shook her head and crumpled the wrapper from her food, squeezing it in her hands into a ball as she spoke. "Honestly, I see you as nothing more than my best friend. I don't want to be in a relationship with you. Not now, not ever." Was she lying to herself, though...?
 
"Good to know. As long as we both consider each other to be utterly gross, we'll be fine." Key snickered and earned a shove from her, causing them both to tumble over onto the floor. Thankfully the distance was no more than a few feet and he managed to land on his back and bring down the slender female with him.
 
The two of them stared at each other, halfway caught between the urge to burst out laughing and the inability to move. Of course, they blame it on the fall, but could the fall also be blamed for the way Sooyoung absentmindedly glanced down at Key's lips? Or the way Key somehow managed to get lost in her dark brown orbs?
 
An awkward silence fell over them until Onew came walkng by with a few others from the lunch group earlier.
 
"So, what I saw was...KEY AND SOOYOUNG ON THE FLOOR?!?" With the sound of that the two straightened up and glared at the older man for his outburst.
 
"Nothing happened, you idiot. We fell off the wall." Sooyoung's eyes did another 360 at the expectancy of another round of jokes about how she and Key should 'tie the knot'. Not marriage, obviously, come on. They were only 17.
 
"Dang it. I was waiting for some real SooKey action." Jonghyun frowned at the two until Key flew up and pushed him playfully.
 
"Why are you guys out of class anyways?"
 
"Early dismissal because there's set up for an Open Day tomorrow. All the Dance students have to stay back tonight. Why do you think Taemin and Yuri aren't here?"
 
"Dance students?" The tall brunette's eyes widened as she began shaking Key's arm frantically. "We do Dance, dummy! Why don't we know about this?!"
 
"Relax, Soo. They only decided about a half hour ago because a guest speaker is coming. We were coming to tell you guys that now."
 
"What was the part about staying in school tonight?" Key tilted his head and glanced across at Onew.
 
"You guys have to stay back until 8, I think. There's going to be some sort of rehearsal and then you have more setting up to do."
 
"Dang it, my parents are out of town. I was supposed to go to my aunt's right after school since she'll be out tonight."
 
"You can stay with me," Key offered before Jessica, who backed down silently and watched how the other girl nodded with a huge grin plastered across her face.
 
"Alright. Will your grandma mind?" The male of the two shook his head, taking her arm as he did before tugging her towards the dance room.
 
"She's visiting a friend and won't be back till tomorrow."
 
"Perfect time for SooKey love making, huh?" Jonghyun jeered, earning a tap at the back of his head from Key as he walked off with his best friend.
 
"They're going to end up together. I can feel it." Another tap, this time from Jessica.
 
"...I take that slap back, you might be right." Jessica tilted her head and looked at her boyfriend to see if he was on the same page.
 
He was.
Everyone was.
 
Except Sooyoung and Key.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
{ A/N } Thanks for reading if you actually are! The idea might seem chessy, but trust me I have a few tricks up my sleeve... (I typed trucks first. OTL)