confrontation.

everybody but us

 

"K-Key...?"
 
Sooyoung widened her eyes and looked up at her best friend with a surprised expression, hanging open as if she was about to say something but couldn't get it out. The male of the two mirrored her expression, stammering as he tried to find a way out of the awkward situation.
 
"YES!" Jessica leaned back, kicking her feet in the air at the result.
 
"It's about time!" Onew cackled, earning a soft laugh from Taeyeon that made him grin in reply.
 
"I wanna see some tongue action!" Jonghyun hiccuped, rolling onto his stomach.
 
"Should I get the proof?" Minho whipped out his phone and Yuri threw a popcorn kernel at his head, doubling over in hysterics.
 
Key met Sooyoung's gaze, realizing she felt extremely awkward with the teasing and the jokes. He raised his eyebrows, asking if she really wanted to follow through with it as she shook her head quickly. Another one of those punched-in-the-gut feelings came over him as he nodded and nudged the bottle "accidentally" with his foot.
 
"Uh, the bottle didn't stop at m-"
 
"KEY I MAY BE DRUNK BUT IT STOPPED ON YOU," Jonghyun slurred, smacking the younger male's arm. He nudged him forward, giving a suggestive glance to Jessica as she did the same to the tall brunette. The two sat uncomfortably in the middle of the group, avoiding each other's eyes until Sooyoung spoke up.
 
"Okay, okay! If it'll shut all of you up, here." She leaned towards Key, snaking her hand around his neck and pressing her lips to the skin below his bottom lip, her hair covering the side of their faces so the others couldn't tell the difference.
 
"Just go with it," she muttered against his skin, making him jerk his hesd up and down in a slight nod.
 
Key was slightly relieved she had done that otherwise he might've caught a heart attack right then and there in front of all of them. They all cheered and swooned over the two 'kissing', chuckling as they broke apart and returned to their seats. The male of the two absentmindedly touched his skin where she had kissed, cursing himself for not tilting his head a bit and letting her lips touch his.
 
Sooyoung, meanwhile, was scolding herself in her mind for not actually kissing him; but then again, she didn't want to in the first place. She was just overreacting. It was just to get them to shut up anyways, right?
 
She was brought back to her senses as Jessica elbowed her ribs, tugging on her free hand. 
 
"Can you help me take these cups to the kitchen? I think we're gonna leave in a little while."
 
Oblivious, she nodded and began to gather the plastic cups strewn across the floor, snatching the one away from Jonghyun's hand to make him burst out in protest.
 
"GIVE ME BACK MY SOJU!"
 
"YOU'VE HAD ENOUGH!"
 
Jessica shook her head, laughing at their pointless argument as she was followed into the kitchen by the younger girl. Tugging a garbage bag out of the nearby cupboard, she began to throw away all of the trash with the other's help and in no time the place was restored to its original state and Sooyoung was about to return to the living room when she grabbed her arm.
 
"Soo, sit." Pointing to the stool in front of her she crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow as she spoke. "I know you didn't kiss him."
 
"So?" The tall brunette scoffed, knowing fully well her other best friend was bound to realize.
 
"What's going on with you and Key lately? You're both on the edge around each other lately. You don't act like a couple but yet you don't act like the best friends I know. I'm not making fun of you like the others would, I'm just curious as to why you seem so different and so awkward around him lately."
 
"Because I..." Sooyoung trailed off, usually the one quick with a comeback was stumped as she tried to explain herself. "I...I dunno. We're not as close as before, but we're not complete enemies or anything. I just feel weird around him lately."
 
"Weird meaning...?"
 
"Meaning...I dunno, okay? I just don't feel like we can do the same things we do as best friends. I don't know why it's so hard to explain, I don't know why it's so hard to act like normal best friends these past few weeks, I don't know why I like him so much!"
 
A shocked silence fell between the two frim her outburst, their eyes wide as they stared at each other. Jessica leaned against the counter, her surprised expression still in place as she waited for the younger to speak again.
 
"Did I really just say that...?"
 
"Yup."
 
"I didn't mean it."
 
"Really now."
 
"I..." Sooyoung buried her face in her hands, shaking her head with a groan.
 
Meanwhile in the living room, Key was helping the rest of the group tidy up the living room as they left one by one. He eyed Jonghyun as he stumbled and struggled to get his keys, snatching them from him with a weird expression.
 
"You wait, I'll get Jessica to drive instead for you." 
 
About to enter the kitchen he stopped just past the doorway, realizing Jessica and Sooyoung were in the middle of an apparently important conversation.
 
"I don't know why I like him so much!"
 
Like who? Leaning closer to the doorframe he strained to hear as they continued.
 
"Soo, didn't Hyuk ask you out today during lunch?"
 
"Yeah, but I didn't tell anyone except you yet."
 
Key felt his fists clench at the thought of someone else asking her out, banging his fist against his thigh in an effort to release some of his anger.
As much as he knew it was wrong to eavesdrop, he continued to pay extra attention.
 
"Why didn't you tell Key?"
 
"He doesn't really...like Hyuk..."
 
"Why not?"
 
"I dunno, ask him."
 
"Did you tell Hyuk yes?"
 
"Yeah."
 
That one word built up a rage inside of Key as he lost his train of thought, storming into the kitchen as he slammed the keys in front of the older girl.
 
"Jonghyun's waiting for you to take him home," he snapped, his eyes focused on Sooyoung as he spoke. The older nodded, a bit shaken as she fled the kitchen.
 
"Where did you come fr-"
 
"Hyuk asked you out and you said YES?" 
 
Sooyoung glared at him, her chest heaving as she shook her head in disbelief. "You were eavesdropping on our conversation?"
 
"Answer me, damn it!" Slamming his fist on the counter she jumped, her glare still fixated on him.
 
"Don't yell at me! Why the hell were you eavesdropping? And it's none of your business if Hyuk did ask me out and I DID say yes! I don't care if you hate him, it's my choice! Why do you even care?"
 
"Because-" Key stopped himself, lowering his voice as he glanced through the doorway to make sure the rest of them were already gone. He turned back to her, fumbling to find a valid excuse for his behavior. Sighing, his shoulders slumped as he trudged upstairs.
 
"...Sorry. Just try to get some rest and I hope you have fun with Hyuk tomorrow."
 
Sooyoung groaned in disgust, slamming her hand against the switch on the wall to turn off the lights, barely acknowledging the fact that it was her injured hand because of how much her head hurt from yelling. Making sure downstairs was clean, she went upstairs herself, showering and changing into clean clothes before picking her stuff up and shoving it into her bag. Her mind was set on leaving and staying at her house alone until her parents came back.
 
"Stupid Key with his stupid mood swings." She had crept halfway down the stairs when she saw the faint glow from the TV screen and mentally cursed, knowing there was no way to get past him now. Turning on her heel she tried to go back upstairs when his voice filled her ears.
 
"Soo, come here."
 
Reluctantly she dragged her feet down the stairs to drop onto the couch opposite from him, staring at her lap as she waited for him to continue.
 
"Why didn't you kiss me?"
 
"Because I didn't want to."
 
"Why not?"
 
"Because I didn't want to!"
 
"Why not?!?"
 
"Why do you care so much?!? We've played spin the bottle before with other friends and I kissed you on the cheek before, why is it so special now?"
 
"Because I want to know why you'd chicken out."
 
"Chicken out?" Sooyoung flew up from her seat, storming to the male of the two and grabbing his shirt. "Listen here, Kim Kibum. I don't chicken out and being my best friend, you know that. I just rather do that than kiss you and make things even more awkward than they already seem to be. Hyuk asked me out, we've moved past that, I'm going on this date and no matter how much you dislike him I'm still going. Plus tomorrow morning I'll be going home."
 
"Don't go stay alone," he mumbled as she let go of him, taking her hand in his so she would sit by his side. "Sooyoung, I'm sorry for being so mad, I just have a bad feeling about him, is all. He doesn't seem like a good person for you."
 
"Alright, but I'm still going for one little date. Besides, Hyuk's not good enough, Hae wasn't good enough, who is then?" Giggling softly, she patted his cheek and returned to upstairs, shouting from the top, "Night, Key!"
 
"Night," he called, sighing as he did before he spoke softly to himself.
 
"Apparently I'm not good enough either."
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
{A/N} sleepy and sick...update!!