unexpected.

everybody but us
"He what?!" The girls shouted in unison as Sooyoung retold the events of the previous day. They were all bundled up in blankets in Key's living room, trying to stay warm as they waited for the guys to bring back their food.
 
"I didn't stutter! He punched him in the face!" The tall brunette repeated, holding her cup of hot chocolate to her lips. Resting it back down onto the table, she wiped her lips and continued. "And we sort of left Hyuk there, so I don't know what'll happen when school starts next year."
 
"So, are you and Key dating?" Yoona rolled, along with her blanket, flat onto the floor on her stomach.
 
"I guess...I dunno...something like it?" They all squealed at the news, making her roll her eyes at their childish behavior. "What's the big deal?"
 
"You sound as oblivious as Yoona." Yuri snickered.
 
"Hey!"
 
"You and Key have finally stopped going in circles and actually admit to liking each other. Finally!" Taeyeon kicked her feet in the air happily, looking like a five year old despite being the oldest.
 
"Miss us?" Minho held two pizza boxes in his hand as he entered backwards through the front door, a teasing grin on his face as he carried them to the kitchen. Onew and Taemin followed right behind him with two bottles of soda, chips, plates and cups, while Jonghyun and Key walked in empty-handed.
 
"So what's wrong with your hands? Why couldn't you help?" Jessica cackled as she tossed a pillow at her boyfriend's head, making the others snicker at the fight they knew was about to break out.
 
"Jessica Jung, don't throw things at me!" He threw it back and she caught it, screaming in fake terror as he stormed over to her and began tickling her sides. She barely got in any say as she fought to catch her breath, kicking him aside to recuperate.
 
"You're an idiot."
 
"But you love me." Patting her cheek, he gave her a wink before going to the kitchen to help the guys. Jessica turned to the girls, who all watched her with playful grins of their own.
 
"Alright, maybe I do." She shrugged good-naturedly as Onew moved to Taeyeon's side, ruffling her hair.
 
"How much pizza do you guys want?" He gave them all a once-over until he nodded without a reply. "A slice each great because that's all you're getting." Walking off they all squinted in amusement and confusion until Sooyoung cried out, "How am I going to survive on one stinking slice of pizza?"
 
"Key'll feed you more." Taeyeon snickered and earned a glare from the younger girl.
 
"He'll feed you later, too." Yuri raised her eyebrows suggestively with a sly smile, making Yoona and Jessica burst out in laughter.
 
"All of you are so STUPID!" She shouted, and suddenly there was a crash from behind the couches coming from the direction of the kitchen.
 
"I'm okay," Taemin called weakly, making them double over in hysterics again.
 
"Lee Taemin, ladies and gentlemen." Jessica pretended to wipe a tear from the corner of her eye.
 
"Food's here," Minho sang as he held two plates full of chips and pizza in his hands, setting them both in front of Taeyeon and Jessica. The two grinned and began to eat immediately as Taemin brought plates for Yoona and Yuri. Sooyoung stared at them all, waiting for one of the other three to bring her something when they all came in with their own food. Minho and Taemin sat next to the group, about to eat when Jonghyun, Onew and Key came in with their own plates.
 
"Am I supposed to get my own food? Why couldn't any of you be gentlemen like Tae and Minho?" Sooyoung exploded, making them all jump as she stormed into the kitchen. She grinned when she heard them laughing, shaking her head as she returned to her spot with two slices of pizza and a handful of chips. Key stared at her, an amused expression on his face as he shook his head.
 
"Problem?" She stared right back, making him laugh even more and return to his own food. The other pairs looked on with curiousity, expecting to see some sort of affection between the two and ending up with disappointment.
 
"You guys like each other, do something...couple-like!" Yoona pouted, sulkily biting down on a chip. "I didn't come for this, I've seen this everyday for months now!"
 
"We will when you and Taemin do." 
 
At that moment Taemin smirked, setting aside his plate and, swallowing the food that he was chewing, stretched over to Yoona and planted a kiss on her cheek, ruffling her hair as he pulled away. The rest of them, specifically Yoona, widened their eyes in surprise at his boldness.
 
"They're so cute oh my God!"
 
"Show off Taemin."
 
"Ah, why can't you be more like Taemin?"
 
"Because I am a real man!"
 
"I want more pizza."
 
"Look at Yoona's face!"
 
"What is wrong with all of you?"
 
"Alright, alright!" Yoona silenced them, pressing her palms to her face to hide her blush. "No big deal, all of you calm the heck down."
 
The afternoon passed quickly, the pairs leaving one by one for their separate time with each other. Key grumbled to himself as he collected the empty plastic cups, giving Sooyoung a great deal of entertainment.
 
"These kids and their garbage...what do I look like? A maid?" He turned to her, a stern look on his face. "Don't answer that."
 
"Well-"
 
"Don't do it!"
 
"Fine, fine." The female of the two got up from the couch, helping him restore the room's original state in no time. Falling back into her seat with a sigh, she hugged onto the thick blanket next to her, burrowing in its warmth when Key took a seat next to her. He watched her with a laugh as she squirmed around with the blanket, putting out his arms.
 
"Stop giving the blanket love, it's my turn." He pouted, going all out to gain her attention. Luckily it worked as she tackled him backwards, making him fall onto his back with his arms wrapped around her.
 
"I feel cold here, what are you trying to do to me?" Sooyoung snickered, moving from on him to straighten up. His arms s around her once again and she leaned into his embrace, a serious question in her mind. "Hey, what time are visitng hours at the hospital?"
 
"Um..." The male of the two stretched onto the table for his phone, checking the schedule he had stored. "From 6PM to 8PM is the next time we can go, if you want." Glancing at the clock, they realized they had about a half hour until the next shift started.
 
"Why not?" She smiled at him, trying to show some compassion. "Especially since we may not...you know..."
 
"Soo, I'm not a little kid. I know the situation, we have a few days to see her again so we should sooner than later." He smiled back, trying to reassure that he was okay with the reality of the matter. "Make sure to get a coat to wear, because we don't want you to freeze again."
 
The tall brunette giggled, nodding and pushing away his arms and the blanket to get up to find her jacket in his room. He followed right behind her, changing into a warmer shirt and coat quickly before they left, climbing into his car and getting onto the road quickly.
 
"I have to get back home next week." Sooyoung pouted and looked out the window.
 
"Your mom and dad and going to be back by Friday, is it?" 
 
"Mmhmm. A few days before Christmas."
 
"Speaking of which, what do you want for Christmas?" Key perked up as he stopped at a red light, silently admiring a store's holiday display.
 
"Nothing, really. You?"
 
Key shrugged, a small smile on his face as he started humming "All I Want For Christmas Is You". Driving again as the light switched to green, the female of the two recognized the tune and nudged his arm playfully, rolling her eyes as she did.
 
"That's too cheesy."
 
"Maybe, but I'm going to make sure there's plenty of mistletoe around."
 
"...Loser."
 
"Dummy."
 
"Dweeb."
 
The insults continued until they got to the hospital's parking lot, parking near the ER enterance and walking to the receptionist's desk where they asked for his grandmother's name and room.
 
"Ah, she's in room 12C. You can take the elevator." The nurde motioned to the two elevators near the end of the hall and they nodded their thanks, rushing to get in before it closed. Unfortunately, there were a lot of other people inside with them so it was a bit cramped, both relieved to get out into the open hall. Key found the doctor he had spoken to and inquired about her condition as Sooyoung patiently listened along.
 
"How is she?"
 
"Well it's proven that the surgery was, sadly, unsuccessful. The heart attack caused far too much damage to her major arteries and we tried to fix as much damage as we could, but it wasn't enough. There's still an aftershock for her right now which basically means she's in a lot of pain due to the lack of proper blood flow, and it makes no sense trying another surgery because it may cause more damage. Most likely if we leave it to take a natural course, it will result in a painless haemorrhage."
 
"So, from today, how long does she have?"
 
"I'm afraid to say...considering today is Monday, maybe until Wednesday if we're lucky." The doctor cringed at Key's grim expression, watching as he nodded and absorbed all of the information.
 
"Can I see her now, or...?"
 
"Yes, both of you can if you like." The older man pointed to her half-open room door, where a nurse's cart was stationed. The pair left after saying their thanks, stopping at the door and watching the nurse perform a checkup on his grandmother until she was done and moved out of the way, making it a lot less crowded.
 
"...Grandma?" Key whispered softly as he approached the bed, noting to himself how thin and pale she looked. An oxygen mask covered and she turned weakly to meet his gaze.
 
"K-Kibum," she coughed, her lips forming a small smile. "And Sooyoung, hello."
 
The tall brunette bowed quickly, a tiny smile on her face as she stood in the corner away from the pair. Key took a seat in the chair next to the bed, stretching to brush his thumb over her wrinkled skin. Sooyoung felt extremely invasive during their time alone and coughed awkwardly, bowing again to the older woman.
 
"Grandmother, I think I should step out for a bit so you and Kibum could be alone." She glanced at the male of the three who nodded reluctantly as she began to walk out before sitting up, grabbing onto her wrist and tugging her back to his side.
 
"Grandma, there's one thing I should mention while Soo is still here." With his hand still over hers, he laced his fingers with Sooyoung's, smiling up at her before turning back to his grandmother. "You've known Sooyoung for a little while now, since her parents are usually on business trips and she's over at our house pretty often, too. You know the both of us are close, right?" She gave a weak nod, allowing him to continue. "Well, we're not just best friends anymore. Sooyoung is my...I'm not sure if she's willing to accept the title yet, really..." He trailed off with a laugh, returning to his point. "Sooyoung, I would like to believe, is my girlfriend and I thought I should tell you something important like this because I know how much you like her. You've taken as much care of her as you have of me, and I want to show you that I can do the same thing."
 
The two watched as the older woman's smile slowly grew wider, tears visible in her barely-open eyes. She grunted softly as she adjusted the position she lay in to face them both, able to speak in full sentences but not very loudly.
 
"Kibum, you've liked Sooyoung here ever since you first introduced her to me. I noticed this from day one. I've also raised you to be a respectful gentleman, someone who will treat a woman like a princess, which, I'm hoping he does." She glanced at Sooyoung suggestively, who laughed softly and nodded.
 
"He does."
 
"I don't want you doing anything to hurt this girl, you hear me? These are my last few...hours...and I don't want you or her to be unhappy. Always take care of her and yourself as well, because..." Trailing off, she turned to the younger girl, giving her a warm smile behind the mask. "Sooyoung, dear. Do you remember how you would come to me about your relationship issues, you would call them? I knew in my heart that none of the relationships would work out because you were meant to be with my grandson. Looks like this old geezer was right, huh?" She broke out into a coughing fit, making the other two widen their eyes in fear. "No need to worry, I'm getting closer to where I need to go, even if I'm in pain right now. But, I'm a bit tired so I think I'll sleep now, this pain is terrible as well. Kibummie?" Facing her grandson for what might've been the last time, she made to effort to wipe away the tears falling from her eyes as she patted his hand between hers. "I think I've done a good job in raising you after your mother and father were unable to. You don't need me around anymore, okay? I know you'll be successful no matter what you do. And remember, I'll always be around even if I'm not actually around physically. I love you so much."
 
"I love you too," Key muttered, choking back the sob that threatened to escape past his lips as tears rolled down his cheeks. He sniffled softly as he stretched his free hand over to brush her hair away from her forehead and press a gentle kiss to her forehead, getting up to stand next to Sooyoung; who, at this time, was silently shocked at seeing him cry so openly like this. 
 
"Excuse me sir, miss, you all should get going. Visiting hours are cut short today due to reports of another upcoming snowstorm." A nurse popped in and they nodded stiffly, waving a bit to his grandmother one last time.
 
"I'll see you..."
 
"Goodbye Kibummie," she called in a barely audible voice, making him cry even more at the realization that it would be the last time he would her the old nickname he used to despise. Sooyoung rubbed his arm and led him outside to the hall where there was an empty bench, setting him down and sitting next to him. He covered his face with his hands, his shoulders shaking as he continued to shed tears. She draped her arm over his shoulders, resting her head on his arm as she continued to rub it comfortingly.
 
"Shh, calm down," she whispered, squeezing him gently as he sniffled again and wiped at his face. She brushed her hands over his cheeks to wipe away the tears that stained his face, continuing to speak in a low, soothing voice. "I'll drive, we're going straight home."
 
Unable to do anything but nod, he followed her out to the parking lot in silence and climbed into the passenger's seat as she composed herself and managed to drive straight home in record time. It was nearly 7:30 when the snow began to fall, Sooyoung hurrying to light candles and turn on the heater. She made two cups of tea as Key freshened up, coming downstairs and finding her on one stool half-asleep already as she sipped at her own cup. 
 
"You should shower and get some rest, too." He laughed to himself, gratefully taking the available cup and drinking down the green tea that warmed his insides. The tall brunette yawned, nodding as she finished her drink and waited for him.
 
"I'm still thinking about how she said she knew I'd end up with you," Sooyoung murmured, making the male of the two scoff with a small grin.
 
"She was always smart. And she'd mention it to me all the time when you weren't around."
 
"Huh." Shrugging, she ran up the stairs to shower quickly when she noticed the time; 8:47 PM. Already in pajamas, she trudged into Key's room to get her phone and found him half asleep in bed already despite it only being 9:15. She stretched for it on the nightstand when he tugged on her hand, capturing her attention.
 
"Will you sleep with me?"
 
"Uh, you need your space..."
 
"Grandma would have slept with me when I was little to chase bad dreams away. If you sleep with me I can try to at least forgt about all of this." 
 
Somewhat understanding the logic, the tall brunette crawled into the corner of the bed and under the sheets, instinctively curling up against him with her head on his chest. Key could hear her breathing grow more relaxed as he gently her hair, keeping an arm around her as he fell asleep himself.
 
Nearly three hours had passed when Key's phone rang, waking him up as he squinted at the caller ID. Careful not to wake Sooyoung, he answered, speaking as quietly as possible.
 
"Hello?"
 
His expression became blank as he continued to listen before concluding with "Thank you for your time", hanging up and angrily staring at the phone in his hands. Out of rage, he threw it at his desk, resulting in a muffled thud that made the female of the two wake up.
 
"Hmm...wha...what's going on?"
 
{ A/N } i'm so sleepy but THANK YOU ALL I WILL REPLY PROPERLY NEXT TIME