(1) Coming

When Love Is Always Return

***Monologue***

 

Annyeong! I'm Dara, Jang Dara. I'm a Korean-Australian who was born in America and lived there for a long time. Eventhough I spent most of my life in America, I still can converse in korean. My parents taught me speaking both in english and korean. My dad is Jang Ok Joo, the owner of JOAH Group, one of the best media conglomerate in South Korea. My mom was an indie singer before she married my dad, she passed away when I was 5 because of traffic accidents. Since she left me when I was little, I honestly don't really remember what kind of person she was. But things that my dad and I believe for sure that she loved me and my dad so much, she's the best mom & wife in the world, and she's irreplacable. That's why my dad is still single now. He told me once that he won't marry anyone else, because he thought that his marriage with mom is his first and last. That's why I think my dad is probably the sweetest man on earth hehehe.

I told you before that I lived in America for quite awhile, right? I was born in Los Angeles and lived there until I was 10. I moved to Seoul because my dad started his media business there back then. I only lived in Seoul for 2 years and after that I came back to LA, alone. Not literally 'alone' actually. My dad decided to asked my grandmother to take care of me while he managed his business in Seoul, so my grandmother came to Seoul to take me back to LA. I didn't really understand his business matters but it seemed complicated and tiresome, besides he also thought that it will be better if I continue my study in LA. I accepted his persuasion after some argument between us and his promises that he would come to see me at least twice a year and call me at least twice a week. My dad kept his promises and that's what makes our relationship stay strong until now.

I recently graduated from Loyola High School and soon I will be a college student. After some considerations I decided to enroll at Seoul National University Business School. I've been thinking to come to Seoul again since my first year in high school. I miss my dad so much and I'm kinda worried over him since he's a handsome-successful-middle-age man who lived alone in Seoul surrounded by many beautiful women... Well, other than that I'm more worried about his health. He's not that old but still, he's my dad and I have responsibility to take care of him. 

I talked to him by phone last week and he's (very) surprised hehehe. I already came to Seoul this month to take all the tests and now I only have to wait for the result. He's a little bit mad because I haven't asked him anything about the college thing yet I already enrolled to SNU. I explained everything to him and slowly he understood.

 

***Dara POV***

 

Today is the day. I'm so nervous yet so excited to know the result.

I sit in front of the computer in my room with my chin resting on my balled palm. I look at my robot shaped digital desk clock which indicates 18.58. I quickly run outside my door and take a look to the 1st floor. 

 

"Halmeoni, it's almost 7", I excitedly shout to my grandmother who watches TV on the 1st floor.

"Arasseo, I'll go up there"

 

After a while, grandmother enters my room and she sits at my bed. I calmly type my registeration number and born date to login to the announcement result web page. For some reason it tooks longer than usual. Maybe it's because too many people accessing the web page. I'm getting more nervous and impatient that my right leg shakes continously. Then my grandmother puts her hand on my shoulder and slowly squeezing me. I smile to her as I feel a little less nervous. Finally the loading page is done but I don't dare to look at it, instead I look at some polaroids hanging on the wall in front of me a little higher than the computer. There are photos of me with my high school friends at graduation, me with my guitar resting on my lap, me with dad and grandmother smiling widely on our backyard, me with Niel posing lovely in front of the amusement park.

What? I still keeping this? It's been a while since we broke up with him.

I took the polaroid of me and Niel and throw it to the bin beside my desk. I've been dated him for 2 years and we broke up 2 months ago because of my decision on moving to Seoul. He said that long distance relationship won't work, so I decided to end us. Eventhough he seemed to had mental breakdown, he try to understood and now we keep being friends. He made me choose between him and Seoul, and that's the point where I was sure to broke up with him. How can I choose him instead of my dad? He's a good friend, not a good boyfriend. 

 

"Aigoo, what are you doing dara? You're not looking to the screen yet?", my grandmother lightly slap my back as she adjust her glasses.

"Hmm, I'm kinda scared, Halmeoni..", I reply while keep looking above the screen.

"You're thinking about that guy again?", she looks closer to the screen.

"Again? When did I? I'm totally over him, Halmeoni.. We're still friends after all. There's no need to..."

"Omo omo, my dara is going to Seoul!!", She half shouting and hugging me tightly.

"What?"

 

NOTICE

 

Registeration Number : 313370

Born Date                    : 11/20

 

Congratulation! You're accepted in Seoul National University, Department of Business Administration.

 

 

I'm totally blanked and my grandmother doesn't stop hugging me tightly until my whole body shaking. I don't continue reading the page, I'm so happy thinking that I'll finally live together with my dad in Seoul. 

 

"Waaaaaaa, I'm accepted, Halmeoni..", I hug my grandmother back. 

"I know you can make it, dear.. My last grandchild is finally entering the college and it's The Seoul University. I'm so proud of you, dear.", she kisses my head.

"What?! Dara, you accepted in SNU??", my only cousin Wooyoung enters my room with my aunt. They seem to just arrived from grocery shopping.

"Nae, oppa. I'll live in Seoul!", I quickly hug him.

"Great job, Dara. Your dad must be so proud.", my aunt caresses my hair.

"Nae, I'll call him later, Imo. Thank you for everything imo, halmeoni, oppa.. I really thankful.", I break the hug with my cousin then I hug my grandmother and aunt.

"So now you'll really leave us, Dara?", Wooyoung says while faking a sad face.

"I'll come to visit when my semester holiday comes, oppa. I promise.", I offer my promise finger to him and he links his finger with mine.

"Try to break your promise and don't call me oppa anymore.", he pouts cutely.

"What should I call you then?"

"Hyung. Just call me hyung then."

 

We laugh out loud at my cousin's absurdity. He's a happy virus in this home, always make us happy with his absurd jokes. But he also likes a head of the household who takes care of almost everything. Later I permit myself to call my dad. I run to our balcony and rest my arm at the railings.

 

"Congratulations dear, I know you'll be accepted. How can they refuse a smart and talented student like you?"

"Hahaha, appa, stop exaggerating.."

"I'm serious dear.. You're my only smart and talented daughter, you deserve it."

"Thank you appa."

"When will you come?"

"Hmm, Tomorrow or day after tomorrow I think. I should take care of all admission things alone since my beloved dad is busy as usual.."

"I'm sorry, I'd like to take care of them if my schedules allow me, really."

"Anieyo, appa. I'm just joking. Of course I should take care of them. Do you forget that I'm already a college student?"

"For me you're still a kid."

"What? Why??"

"I want to see you as my only child as long as possible. I still want to take care of you like you're a kid."

"You still can treat me like a kid while see me as a college student dad.."

"Hehe, arasseo. I'm sorry I can't talk to you longer."

"It's okay. Sleep well, appa!"

"Nae, sleep well, my pretty dara! I'll call you again tomorrow."

 

What a wonderful day. Goodbye the awesome LA! I'm gonna miss you. Seoul, I'm coming.

 



 

Here goes my first chapter ^^

English isn't my first language, so forgive me if there's any mistake

There are some characters that I didn't introduce before, but trust me, they won't affect this story that much.

I welcome to any critics and opinion, so don't be shy to leave a comment ^^