Chapter 5: IT'S A GIRL?!

I Am Me

Gi Young’s P.O.V.

            The bun that I had put my hair into had opened, letting my hair rest freely against my back.  I glanced around nervously.  Slowly, I stood up, ignoring the pain radiating from my body.  I rubbed the nape of my neck with one hand and tried to look anywhere other than at the boys surrounding us and Minho as I bit my lip.  This was an old childhood habit of mine.  Nobody really noticed that this was my reaction to situations in which I should be nervous.  No one except Soo Jin, that is.  “G-G-Gi Young-ssi?” Minho stuttered.  My head was still down, but I looked at him from underneath my eye lashes.  He had an incredulous and dumbfounded look on his face. 

            I cleared my throat, trying to gather my courage.  “I. . . I told you not to underestimate me,” I said.  My face probably did not show the expression I wanted it to.  I was in shock as well.  I didn’t think that I would be found out.

            “It’s a GIRL?!”

            “This isn’t possible.”

            “Beat Choi Minho.

            “He was giving it his all, too.”

            These were just a few of the whispers I heard around me as I finally met Minho’s eyes.   So many unsaid things had passed between us in those few moments that I didn’t realize that four boys had broken through the crowd and were running towards Minho.  “HYUNG!” one of the boys called.  He looked a little younger than the other three.  It took me a few seconds, but I eventually realized that they were the other four kingkas of my University and the remaining four members of SHINee:  Lee Taemin, Kim Kibum (aka Key), Lee Jinki (aka Onew), and Kim Jonghyun.  All five boys were now staring straight at me.  I was still in shock, but I managed to return their gazes.

            “GI YOUNG!” I heard a voice shout behind me.  I was still looking at the boys.  Soo Jin ran up next to me, a little out of breath.  She tried to pull me off the court, but I didn’t budge.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Soo Jin lock eyes with Jonghyun.  Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink as she turned her face away from him.  A small smile formed on his face at her reaction.  With one final and rough yank, Soo Jin managed to get me moving.  The same held true for the other boys.  I turned my head one last time and caught Minho looking at me.  We locked eyes for a few seconds before I lost sight of him.  What the hell just happened?

 

Minho’s P.O.V.

            I let Taemin and the others drag me away from the court.  I watched as Onew hyung and Key moved people aside to make room for us to get out of the crowd.  I was completely dazed from the events that occurred in the past ten minutes.  I lost a game. . . I can’t believe it. . . I actually lost.  And if things couldn’t get any worse. . . I lost to a GIRL.  I face-palmed myself.  The same girl that I said I could beat without lifting a finger. . . ugh.  All of a sudden, my most vivid memory of the game popped into my head:  I had put my arms around Gi Young’s waist in my attempt to get the ball. . .  I felt my cheeks warm up a little. 

            “Minho Hyung?  Are you sick?  Why are your cheeks red?  Do you have a fever?” Taemin questioned.  I coughed and shook my head.  Jonghyun heard Taemin’s questions and smirked.  Great, looks like I was in for a game of 20 Questions when we got home.  The boys lead me towards where they had parked their car.

            “You guys brought the Mercedes?!” I said, astounded at the sleek black car in front of me.

            “Yeah, I wanted to drive it!  Why?  What’s wrong?” Jonghyun asked.

            “Does the word INCONSPICUOUS mean anything to you?”

            “Not right now it doesn’t.  Now, you might want to hurry up.  We’ve got 3 minutes tops before the fangirls and the University girls find out we’re at the park.”

            I rolled my eyes as I looked at the heavily tinted, bullet-proof windows.  Jonghyun walked to the driver’s side while Onew hyung slid in next to him.  I climbed into the backseat; Taemin came in next, making him in the middle, and Key came in after him.  Jonghyun then started the car and drove towards our dorm.  The ride there was silent; Key, being the Umma he is, asked about my injuries repeatedly, but I brushed off his concern.  I knew everyone was dying to know about the events of the day, but it looked like they would attack me once we were inside the dorm.  I sighed.  That was one conversation I REALLY didn’t want to have.

            When we finally arrived at the dorm, I made a bee-line for my room.  When I got to my door I found an arm blocking my way.  Jonghyun.  “Now where do you think you’re going?” he questioned.

            “To my room?” I responded.  He rolled his eyes as he grabbed my arm and pushed me into the living room.  Key already had the first aid kit out. 

            “Sit down,” he commanded.  

            “I really don't nee-” I tried to say, but Key shut me up with his famous “Umma” glare.  I sighed in defeat and sat down on the couch.  As Key treated me, Taemin came over and sat down next to me.  

            “Hyung?” he said, looking at me.  The innocent tone of voice he had made me smile a little.

            “Yes, Taeminnie?”

            “What’s wrong?”

            “N-nothing.”

            “Who was that girl?”

            “No one.”

            “You’re lying.  Why aren’t you telling us what happened?”

            The other four boys listened attentively as Taemin pushed me for answers. 

            “C’mon Minho.  What the hell happened over there?  All those people, and that girl in the middle of the court....” Jonghyun said.

            Another wave of memories hit me when he mentioned Gi Young.  “I warned you not to underestimate me...”  

            Her voice still rang in my ears after she scored that last shot.  That girl... She's a formidable opponent, both on and off the court.  

            “Yeah. . .” Onew hyung said, continuing Jonghyun’s statement, “did you have to save her or something?  She looked pretty beaten up.  You do too. . .  Did someone attack her?”

            I just stared at him.  I felt really bad from the way I had treated Gi Young during the game.  To the point where the other members thought someone had attacked her. . .  Of course, at that point, I thought I was playing with “Sandeul.”   I’m still amazed... I put all of my strength into that game.  She must’ve gotten hurt really badly, but she didn’t say a word.  She didn’t even cry out when I hit her or elbowed her...   What a girl...

            She was an interesting girl; that was for sure.  I remembered the look on her face when she was shooting with me before the game had started.  It was so focused.  Her full pink lips were set in a line as she had sunk shot after shot.  The way her brown hair swept her shoulders as she would shoot the ball. . .  Even if her clothes were just basketball shorts and a T-Shirt. . .  She was. . . Beautiful.

            WAIT.  Waitwaitwaitwait.  CHOI MINHO.  What the hell are you thinking?!  Argh, snap out of it.  I’m not even looking for a relationship right now. . .  Right?

      Onew hyung snapped his fingers in front of my face.  I blinked and looked up at him.  “So, tell us what happened,” he said, staring me in the eyes.

      “Arasso, Arasso...” I said.  Then I told them everything, starting with my first meeting with Gi Young at the park and ending with when they showed up.  The minute I had finished, all the guys exploded.

            “WHAT?!” they all yelled in unison.

            “YOU MEAN YOU WERE THE ONE THAT PUT HER IN THAT CONDITION?!” Key yelled incredulously.

            “I didn’t know I was playing against GI YOUNG the whole time!” I yelled back.

            “You were beaten in sports?” Onew hyung gasped.

            I nodded, my lips pressed together in a line.

             “Y-You. . .” Jonghyun choked between fits of laughter, “THE CHOI MINHO.  The person who doesn’t even know the definition of losing.  You were beaten. . . BY A GIRL?!  BAHAHAHAHAHA!  I think you’re losing you touch Minho. . .”

            I stood up, ready to hit Jonghyun on the back of the head, when Taemin suddenly spoke up.  He had been very quiet ever since his initial outburst at my story.

            “Hold on guys. . .” Taemin said.  We turned toward him.  “This girl. . . she disguised herself as a boy just to go against Minho hyung in basketball.  It didn’t look like she had cried once even after all the hits she took from him.  Hell, it looks like she paid him back in kind,” he continued while the other members turned to smirk at me.  “On top of all of that, Minho hyung put his all into that game.  He never let up, even for a second.  And she still won.  Don’t you guys get it?  It’s not Minho; it’s that girl. . . Gi Young.”

            After his little speech, all of us looked at Taemin with our mouths open.

            “You have a good point Taemin,” Key said.  Suddenly, he grinned widely.  “I think we all know what this means.”  Everyone slowly started to grin, understanding what Key meant.  I looked at everyone in confusion.

            “Choi Minho,” the four boys said simultaneously, “we need to meet this girl.”

 

Soo Jin’s P.O.V.

            I dragged Gi Young with me as I briskly walked to the car.  A thousand questions were buzzing in my head.  Gi Young had told me she was going to the park today, so I had thought of surprising her on my way back from the mall.  I guess I was the one that got surprised.  When I had arrived at the park, I started looking for Gi Young.  I noticed a huge crowd gathered around the basketball court, piquing my curiosity.  As I walked over, I heard snippets of conversation being held here and there.  The whole crowd was made up entirely of boys, so I assumed that a really intense game had just ended.  They sounded like a bunch of bees because of their whispering.

            “Beat Choi Minho.”

            “A girl.”

            “Unbelievable.”

            I stopped abruptly.  Choi Minho?  Of SHINee?  Defeated in a game?  Impossible.  And what was this nonsense about a girl?  Wait a minute. . .I thought to myself, oh no.  It can’t be.  My eyes widened as I pushed a number of boys aside in my haste to get onto the court.  I stopped dead at the edge of the concrete.  My hunch was right.

            Gi Young was on the floor.  She looked dazed and a bit. . . nervous?  Choi Minho was standing a few feet away from her.  Yes, THE Choi Minho:  Member of my favorite K-Pop band SHINee and one of the five kingkas of Seoul University, the college I attended with Gi Young.  He may not be my bias, but hey, that doesn’t mean he isn’t attractive.  I tried to keep myself from screaming out loud.  Thankfully, when I turned my attention back to Gi Young, those thoughts left my mind immediately.  As I inspected her closely, I noticed that she was very badly hurt.  “I. . . I told you not to underestimate me,” I heard her say to Minho.  I looked away from Gi Young when I heard the sound of multiple footsteps approaching.  I looked up to see four boys approaching Minho.  It was the rest of SHINee.

            “HYUNG!” Taemin called, his voice dripping with concern.  Without thinking twice, I ran to Gi Young.

            “GI YOUNG!” I called.  She didn’t even look at me.  Her eyes were still on all five boys.  They were staring right back at her.  I arrived at her side and grabbed her hand, trying to pull her away.  One of the boys’ eyes snapped up and the sound of my arrival:  Jonghyun.  His eyes met mine and we just stared at each other for a few seconds.  I blushed furiously and looked away, trying to not to do anything stupid.  Gotta get outta here. . . fast, I thought.          

            I sat in the car, my hands on the wheel.  I glanced at Gi Young, who was still unresponsive.  It looked like she was in shock or something. . .  I looked at her injuries again.  She needs to get those wounds treated, I thought to myself.  I was beginning to get irritated.  So far, I was given no explanations.  I had one theory in mind, which I was almost positive was correct.  My eyes narrowed in slight anger as I considered my theory.  My anger was directed not towards Minho, or the boys at the park, or any of the other SHINee members, but at Gi Young.  I started the car and sped off towards my own house. 

            By the time I had pulled up to my house, I was practically seething with anger.  I got out the door and stomped towards the passenger door, roughly opening it.  Gi Young had started going back to normal somewhere along the ride, but I was too mad to really care.  I yanked her out of the passenger seat.  “HEY!  WHAT ARE YOU DOING!” Gi Young yelled.  I noticed her flinch when her feet hit the ground.  I felt bad, but I was still angry, so I continued to drag her to the front door. 

            Umma and Appa weren’t home yet.  They wouldn’t be back until late today.  I stomped towards the living room with Gi Young in tow.  She was struggling with me the whole way.  I abruptly stopped when we got to the living room.  Gi Young noticed that I had stopped moving.  “S-Sooj?” she said hesitantly.  I glared at her and she took a step back.  I stormed out of the room for a few minutes and returned with a first aid kit.

            “SIT.DOWN.NOW.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again everyone!  Yay for another update~! :D  OMONA.  132 VIEWS?!  This is nuts!  Thank you sooooo much for taking a look at my story!!  If you are enjoying it, please do comment and subscribe!  It means so much to me and I really love to read the comments and see new subscribers!! :D  I will be serving up another chapter soon so stay tuned!  Annyeong~ (^-^)/

~AthleticShawol