Chapter 1: Just Another Saturday Morning

I Am Me

Gi Young’s P.O.V.

            The sun shined brightly through my window, disturbing the peaceful sleep I was having a few minutes ago.  I sat up sleepily and rubbed my eyes.  “Ryu Gi Young!” I heard someone yell downstairs, “are you awake yet?”  Ah yes, my lovely Umma. 

            “Neh, Umma!” I shouted back.  I got out of bed and stretched.  It’s a Saturday morning, which means no college today!  I grinned widely and ran into the bathroom.  I quickly brushed my teeth and hopped into the shower.  Once I got out, I checked my closet for a pair of basketball shorts and a T-Shirt before returning to the sink.  I looked at the reflection in the mirror.  A pair of chocolate brown eyes belonging to my reflection gazed back at me.  I put some lotion on my cream-colored skin before I grabbed a brush and tied my dark brown hair back into a ponytail and brushing down my bangs.  Yep, today was gonna be a great day.  I was about to run downstairs when I heard my phone start ringing.  I walked over to the edge of my bed and looked at the caller ID:  Moon Soo Jin.  I shook my head, smiling as I picked up. 

            “Yeoboseyo?”

            “ANNYEONG GI YOUNG!” my best friend yelled into the phone. 

            “YAH!” I yelled, holding the phone away from my ear.  “Warn me the next time you plan on doing that!”  She snickered.

             “Mianhe,” she said, “what’re you up to?” 

            “I was about to go downstairs for breakfast.  Then, I’m going to head out to the park,” I replied, putting my sports bag together.  Soo Jin groaned.  I could almost imagine her rolling her eyes as she spoke. 

            “Can’t you do something girly for once?” she asked. 

            “Hmmm, let me think about that. . .Nope!” I responded happily, “wanna come with?”  She laughed.

             “No thanks!  I’m going to the mall,” she said, making sure to draw out the last word.  I shuddered involuntarily.  I hated going to the mall.  The first thing I did when I got dragged to one was find a place to sit in whichever store we were in.  I would then proceed to read a book, play games on my phone, etc. until whoever I was with was done shopping. 

            “Ewwww. . .” I said.  She snorted.

             “Whatever!  Anyways, I guess I’ll see you at college on Monday then!  Bye!” Soo Jin exclaimed.  I sighed again. 

            “Bye Sooj.”  I hung up and threw my phone into my bag.  I ran downstairs to the delicious aroma wafting from the kitchen.  My mother looked up when she heard me approaching.  She rolled her eyes when she saw me. 

            “I take it you’re going to the park?” she questioned.  I smiled widely at her.

             “Neh, Umma,” I responded. 

            “Arasso,” she sighed, “You can go as soon as you sit down and eat.  You’re going to need the energy.”  I quickly ran up and hugged her. 

            “Thank you Umma!” I said happily.  She sighed with a small smile on her face. 

            “It’s hard to believe that there is a girl standing in front of me,” she said, “you might as well be the son of the family. . .”  I smiled.

            “You can consider me as such,” I replied.  I quickly looked around, realizing that there was someone missing.  “Where’s Appa?” I asked my mother.

             “He had a business trip to Singapore remember?  He left early this morning,” mother said.  I frowned a little. 

            “He didn’t even say good-bye?” I pouted. 

            “Silly girl,” my mother laughed, ruffling my hair, “he left you a note before he left.”  I jumped up quickly and ran back to my room.  Umma was right.  Sitting on the desk next to my bed was a neatly folded piece of paper.  I picked it up and opened it.

 

My dearest Ryu Gi Young, it read,

               I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to say good-bye to you properly.  You were sleeping so peacefully that I couldn’t bring myself to wake you up.  I will be gone for quite some time and I will miss you terribly.  I love you more than the world itself.  Remember that.  A word of advice before I finish.  I know your Umma wants you to be more lady-like but to be quite honest with you, I am proud of the way you are:  Smart, athletic, and a fighter.  I know you are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself and your Umma.  Be safe while I’m gone.

Yours always,

Appa

I smiled at the letter.  “You stay safe too, Appa,” I whispered to no one in particular.  I walked back downstairs.  My mom handed me a plate of eggs with toast. 

            “It looks good Umma!” I exclaimed before digging in.  She patted my head and smiled.           

            “So what are your plans for the day?” she asked.  I looked up at the ceiling thoughtfully. 

            “I’m pretty much going to spend the whole day at the park.  I’m not entirely sure what I’m going to do or what order I’m going to do it in yet though.  I’ll probably just wing it,” I finally answered.  My mother just laughed.  After about half an hour, I was ready to leave.  I hugged my mom good-bye, grabbed my sports bag, and walked out the door.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Hey guys!  So this is the boring and very short first chapter.  MIANHE!  I'll make it up to you by posting the second chapter today too!  ^-^  Enjoy!