Chapter 3: Challenge

I Am Me

Minho’s P.O.V.

            I just stared at her for a few seconds.  This girl was wearing basketball shorts (legitimate ones.  Like the kind that goes down to your knees) and a T-shirt.  Nothing revealing, nothing fancy; in fact, she didn’t even have any make-up on.  Regardless of what she was wearing, she was. . . cute.  It was obvious that she was naturally pretty, but it didn’t look like she cared much about what other people thought about her.  She was holding a basketball at her waist, as if she had actually come for a day full of sports.  I was taller than her, but she looked a little bit taller than most girls I saw.  She looked familiar for some reason.  She looked at me quizzically for a few seconds before her brown eyes widened and formed a small “o”.  I could tell that she had recognized me.  I expected her to start screaming any minute.  She walked up to me and waved her hand across my face.  “You okay?” she asked. 

            “Wha. . .oh. Oh yeah!” I responded quickly, realizing that I had been staring at her for quite some time.  She flashed a small smile. 

            “I hope I’m not being rude, but I think you go to my university. . . Am I right?” she asked me.  I looked at her more closely; suddenly I recognized her.

             “Ah yes,” I chuckled, holding out my hand, “I believe we have some of our classes together.  Choi Minho.”  She took my hand and shook it.  Her hand fit in mine like two puzzle pieces coming together. 

            “Ryu Gi Young,” she responded. 

            I looked at her.  “That’s quite a name,” I said.  I meant it too.  “Ryu” was one of the oldest living bloodlines in Korea.  On top of that, her first name meant “courage,” “brave,” “fearless,” etc.  Words that you would definitely not expect to hear in a fair young girl’s name. 

            She gave me a half-smile.  “Thank you. . . I think.  I plan on living up to the weight this name carries.  Say. . .If I’m not mistaken you’re also part of SHINee, neh?”  I laughed a little. 

            “Neh,” I responded, “I had a day off today so I decided to come out here and play sports for a little bit.”  Her smile became a little bit bigger.

              “Me too,” she responded.  She is definitely odd, I thought to myself, normally, girls would have been screaming their heads off by now, asking for my autograph, trying to kiss me, etc.  From her name, to her looks, to her actions. . . She’s. . . different.

            “Actually, that was what I was about to ask you,” she continued, gesturing behind her and effectively pulling me out of my reverie, “as you can see, all of the basketball courts have been taken by different teams.  I was wondering if I could share the court with you since you’re here alone.”  I contemplated my answer.  Having her here would probably get in the way of my practice.  Then again, if she was like those other girls, she wouldn’t be doing much anyways.

             “Arasso,” I agreed somewhat resentfully.  She bowed a little bit. 

            “Gamsahabnida,” she said.  I turned my attention back to my shooting after that, but right before I was about to shoot my free-throw, a ball flew through the air from the side and swished through the net.  I spun around quickly to see who had shot the ball.  I saw Gi Young running over to retrieve her ball from beneath the net.  She had managed to swish a three-pointer that had been taken from the far side of the three-point line.  My mouth hung open in shock.

             “It was probably just a lucky shot or something,” I muttered to myself, swiftly closing my mouth.  However, I decided to switch to dribbling practice just to watch her.  My eyes grew incredibly wide with shock as I watched Gi Young sink every single shot.  It was amazing!  She even managed to pull off the back-handed lay-up!  After shooting around for another 15 minutes, Gi Young glanced at me.  I was still practicing a few dribbling techniques.  When she started walking up to me, I stopped dribbling and looked at her. 

            “Hey, er. . . Minho-ssi,” she said.  I smiled a little bit.  Yet another surprise. . . I thought.  All the girls at Seoul University had this tendency to call me “Minho oppa,” which I found really weird since I wasn’t romantically involved or related to any of them.  She chuckled when she saw me smile.  Her laugh was cute too. . . It was sweet and soft.  I mentally slapped myself.  Yah, Choi Minho!  What are you thinking?  I had never observed a girl this closely.  Sure, I’ve seen girls that I thought were pretty attractive and nice but this. . . this was different.  “I was about to ask. . . do you want to play a one-on-one game with me?”

            Her question shocked me out of my thoughts.  It took a lot of restraint to keep myself from laughing out loud.  This girl may be good, but I doubted that she’d be able to keep up with me.  Plus, I wouldn’t want to hurt her when we played.  “Erm. . . that doesn’t sound like too great of an idea,” I said slowly.  She cocked her head to the side in confusion. 

            “Why not?” she asked.  I quickly repeated the reasons I had come up with in my head.  Her eyes narrowed. 

            “You know,” she said slowly, as if she was trying to hold in her anger, “you really shouldn’t underestimate me.”  I actually did laugh out loud this time. 

            “But against me?  You wouldn’t stand a chance.  Plus, you’re a girl.  I’d have to hold back anyways, but there’s still a chance you could get seriously injured.”  She was about to argue back, but all of a sudden, she closed . 

            “Oh well,” she said coolly, “it’s time for me to get going anyways.  See you later.”  She brushed past me and the anger coming off of her was almost tangible.  I simply nodded, smirking in my head.  She’s too afraid to go against me anyways, I thought to myself.

Gi Young’s P.O.V.

            Grrrrrrrr, THAT CHOI MINHO!!!!

            I was furious.  I HATED it when people underestimated me. I walked around the park blindly for a few minutes, trying to cool down.  Once I had calmed down enough, I found myself raring to go against Minho in basketball.  His attitude towards my ability to compete against him was unacceptable.  I wasn’t going to stand here and take it!  I sat in deep thought for a few minutes, trying to come up with a decent plan.  I snapped my fingers. “I got it!” I said to myself.

            I quickly ran back to my car and pulled out my sports bag.  After digging out an extra pair of shorts and a T-Shirt which I had decided to pack, I ran to the front seat and picked up the cap that sat there.  I jogged over to the bathroom and quickly changed.  After that, I put up my hair and tucked it under the cap.  Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I tried to gauge how convincing I looked.  I decided that I had done a pretty good job; I just looked like a semi-feminine boy.  The shirt was big, so it hid anything that could give me away.  There was one completely fool-proof way to see if this plan would work.  I took a picture of myself and immediately sent it to Soo Jin.  My phone vibrated with a reply from Soo Jin almost instantly.

            Sooj:

            OOOOOOO, who’s the boy? He’s pretty cute... *gasp* OMO... RYU GI YOUNG, ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THIS BOY?!  ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh. Wait.... Hold on a sec.. Is that... You Gi Young? Holy cow! I didn’t even recognize you!  Why are you dressed as a boy. . . ?

            I smirked after reading the message.  Perfect.  I didn’t feel like explaining my plan to Sooj at the moment because I didn’t want to get myself angry all over again.  Instead, I put my phone away and sat down at a park bench.  I thought about my plan again to make sure I knew what I was doing. . .

~The Plan~

It’s a straightforward 3 step plan.

Part A:  Disguise myself as a very convincing looking boy.  Thanks to Sooj, Check.

Part B:  Find Minho and challenge him to a game of basketball.

Part C:  DEFEAT HIM. 

~End Plan~

I didn’t really have a plan for what I would do if I won.  Would I reveal myself?  Or should I just walk away?  I decided that I would just come up with that part of it when the time came.  It would be smart to sit here for a little while.  That way, Minho won’t get too suspicious when I ask to play against him, I thought.  While I sat, I thought back to when I first talked to him earlier.

            When he had first turned around, I hadn’t realize who I was staring at.  It took me a few seconds to realize I was talking to Choi Minho:  One of the five kingkas of Seoul University as well as a member of a really popular Kpop band known as SHINee.  It’s funny; now that I think about it, I didn’t recognize Minho because of either of his two titles.  I recognized him because of a note that I had written him one day at the University. . .  No, it wasn’t a love letter.  It was a warning.

~Flashback~

            Every day during lunch, I would go to the P.E. fields.  Soo Jin would accompany me as well.  Anyways, Minho was always there when I was there.  Eventually, I began noticing the girls that would walk up to Minho asking to play sports with him.  Minho was nice to them and always let them play.  However. . .SOMEHOW, they would magically fall and end up too injured to move.  I couldn’t help it:  I began to get suspicious.  One day, I trailed a girl that Minho had just dropped off to the nurse’s office.  The girl peeped out the door when he had left.  When she didn’t see him, she ran out of the Nurse’s Office.  I just stood there in shock.  Finally, the pieces had clicked into place.  The girls would pretend to get hurt so Minho would carry them.  I was so disgusted that I couldn’t even think of a facial expression bad enough to portray my feelings.  I decided that even though I didn’t know him personally, I COULD NOT let Minho be fooled that way.  Of course, I wasn’t planning on saying it directly to his face; I wrote a note and kept it anonymous instead.  I found my chance to give him the letter the next day.  He was running with yet another girl in his arms.  I sighed.  I quickly placed the note on his backpack before I left hurriedly.  I sat with Soo Jin for the rest of lunch, but I kept getting distracted when she would start talking to me.  I kept glancing up at Minho’s backpack.  “YAH!” Soo Jin said loudly, “are you even listening?!”

            I had stopped responding to Soo Jin because at that moment, Minho had returned from the nurse’s office.  He looked at the paper with a confused look on his face.  At first, I though he wasn’t going to open it, but he did.  After a few seconds of staring at it, Minho made a break for the Nurse’s Office.  I sighed in relief. 

            Soo Jin, clearly irritated that I wasn’t paying attention to her, followed my gaze to see what exactly was making me so fidgety. She saw Minho disappear and looked at me out if the corner of her eye. She smirked.

      “Ah, I see. . . It’s MINHO ISN’T IT?!” She yelled.

       “BWOH?!  Yah! Shikkeureo!” I yelled, flustered. “What are you talking about? You know I’ve never thought about relationships!” I huffed.  She smirked again.

        “I have a feeling Minho is going to change that...” She muttered to herself, “their personalities are so similar that it’s scary. They could be best friends... Maybe more...” She smirked to herself.

        “What?” I asked, looking at the expression on her face.

         She laughed it off. “Nothing!”

         “Okay...” I replied.  Honestly, I was still thinking about the fact that Minho had listened to me.  I half-expected him to throw away the note without even looking at it.  A small smile came on my face, but I had no idea why.

         Minho came back to the basketball courts.  He looked pretty angry.  It looked like he had found out about the farce.  Seeing the look on his face, I felt a little sad.  I had wanted to play against Minho in a sport for a while, but it looked like I had blown my chance.  There was no way Minho would want to play against me after he found out about the girls.  Obviously, I was an exception to those girls, but he didn’t know that.  He didn’t even know that I has written the note!  Wait... why did I care if he knew me or not?  I sighed and brushed off these strange feelings in my heart.

       Something is seriously wrong with me.

~End Flashback~

      I abruptly jerked back to reality.  I quickly checked my watch and sighed with relief.  It was still early in the day, and it had been about an hour since I had stormed off of the basketball court.  “I hope he’s still there.”

            I lightly ran to the courts to check the one Minho had been at earlier.  He was still there, just taking a break.  I pulled my cap low over my eyes and made sure I had changed to my “boy” voice.  This wasn’t the first time I had disguised myself like this, so my “male” voice was really good.  

            “Annyeonghasaeyo,” I said with a deep voice, slightly inclining my head.

             “Annyeong,” Minho replied coolly, “can I help you with something?”

            An awkward silence filled the air.  I didn’t think I’d get this far. . .

            “Is everything okay?” Minho asked, drawing my attention back to him.

            “Oh! Er... Yeah,” I responded, keeping my voice low and focusing on the task at hand, “I was just wondering if I could use the court after you.”

            Minho looked around.  “You know,” he said, “I’ve just been shooting around this whole time. I haven’t really gotten the chance to verse anyone yet.  Do you want to go one-on-one with me?” 

       I smirked.  This was exactly what I was hoping for.  “Sure,” I agreed, “but on one condition.”

       He cocked his head to the side and smirked.  “Oh?  Is that so?”  My God... Gah! What’s wrong with me?  I was getting side-tracked by his smirk... And his voice... And his eyes... YAH!  RYU GI YOUNG!  FOCUS!  WHY ARE YOU ACTING SO WEIRD?!  I mentally shook myself.

            “Yes,” I replied.

            “And what would that condition be?”

            “This will be a completely open game.  No holding back,” I finally said.

             He smirked.  “A full contact game?”

            I nodded.  “No calling each other out on fouls, no nothing.  First one to ten points is the winner.  Whoever wins, they won because of pure skill and ability to focus in stressful situations.”

            Minho smiled wider.  “Agreed.  I like the way you think... Uh...”

            “Ry-Kim S...Sandeul. And thank you.”  That was close.  I almost slipped.

            “I’m Choi Minho.  This is going to be an interesting game.”

            I smirked.  You have no idea…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Things are about to get really crazy really fast.  :P  Please comment and subscribe if you're enjoying the story!  It's your choice of course :)  A heads up:  The next chapter is going to be INTENSE!  Don't miss out!  Thank you for commenting and subscribing if you already have!  I'll see you real soon with the next chapter! (^-^)/