Detention

From U

I ogled as he entered the room with a smile. Was I imagining things or did he just wink at me? Professor Choi continued on nagging him but I wasn’t paying attention. The raccoon boy didn’t seem to care as well. When the professor was done, all I understood was that this boy had to stay here in detention for two weeks. And then the professor left and closed the door, leaving the two of us alone in the room.

“Hi, I’m Kangin” he extended an arm in front of me.

That’s when I realized that I was stuck in the middle of taking a huge bite out of my sandwich. I must’ve looked stupid, hanging my mouth wide open the whole time. I dropped the food back inside the paper bag.

“I’m Leeteuk,” I said as I took his hand.

We shook hands. Kangin brushed his hand at the side of his jeans afterwards and that was when I realized that I transferred the bread crumbs on my hand to his.

“Oh, I’m sorry about that…” I said and offered him my handkerchief “here...”

“It’s alright,” he said with a smile.

I smiled back. I felt that weird feeling again. It’s like my insides are going crazy. I couldn’t understand why.

“What brings you here?” he asked after he took the seat beside mine.

“Oh, uhm,” I paused to think about the lame reason I was sent to detention “I was the last one laughing earlier at the canteen.”

“Sorry my prank dragged you here,” he said “I did hear your laugh earlier.”

“Your prank?” I was surprised “you mean, you tripped the professor?”

“I didn’t trip him, I was a table away from him,” Kangin answered as if the prank was an achievement “I rolled a few peas at the exact tile that he would land his feet.”

“That was brilliant” I said with honest amusement.

 

I offered him my sandwich and he took a few bites. I felt comfortable around him already, I actually forgot the fact that a few days ago he just threw a rock at the back of my head. We spent our time there talking and sharing a few stuff about ourselves.

“I’m a freshman here,” I started “I live with my cousin. Next year he’ll enter here too. We’re both excited to enter college, you know.”

“Wow,” he chuckled “I hate school. I’m a freshman too, but I hate it here.”

“Is that why you pulled that prank earlier?”

“I never wanted to be here in the first place,” Kangin seriously said as he looked at me straight in the eyes “I wanted to travel abroad and see different places, but my hyung didn’t agree. I had no choice but to obey him… he’s the only family I have left.”

 

I felt sorry for Kangin that time. Now I understood why he was having a fit and putting himself into trouble. He probably thought that by pulling a prank on a professor, he would be expelled right away.

“If it can somehow help you endure our four years here, I’ll be happy to be your friend. Hi, I’m Leeteuk, I love white and I love it when it rains.”

“Hi, I’m Kangin,” he played along with a chuckle “I’ll be very happy to be your friend as well. Did I mention that I love the way you laugh?”