Partner

From U

Since that day, Kangin didn’t skip class anymore. At times, we would compete with each other during activities. But most of the time, we were partners. It has been declared most of the time by the professors and our other classmates that our pair was the most dangerous pair. They claimed that we complemented each other very well. His strength and my skills. It always made my stomach churn every time they point that out, plus Kangin boasts about it at times, but of course I just smile and nod.

 

Time flew so quickly and I almost didn’t notice that my cousin, Hyukjae entered Sapphireville University with his best friend, Donghae. And we were sophomores already! Heechul graduated as the 5th Honorable Mention of their batch, and we could tell that Professor Hankyung was indeed proud of the diva. He could’ve reached a higher spot, if it weren’t for all his records of mischief and laziness. But I could tell that Kangin was proud of his hyung too.

“Wanna piss off Professor Hankyung?” he excitedly approached us right after the graduation party “hang a dissected frog on the ceiling fan!”

So that was why he was sent to detention that day when I first saw him.

 

“Teukie come on!” Kangin called me after the party “hurry up!”

“Wait a sec!” I shouted back “I can’t walk…” I felt a sharp pain on my ankle. I must’ve sprained it when I jumped from the bleachers earlier.

“You’re too slow old man,” he teased as he walked towards me.

I laughed but I couldn’t step my foot properly.

“Hey hey don’t move,” he said when he noticed the wince I made. He ran towards me with a worried expression “what happened to you?”

“Must’ve twisted it earlier…” I tried to walk but it hurt even more.

“Come here my angel,” without warning, Kangin picked me up and carried me on his shoulders “such a clumsy angel, you are.”

“Kangin put me down,” I squirmed a little “I’m heavy!”

“My bag is heavy,” he pointed out as he continued to walk normally, as if he’s not carrying a person older than him “now shut up and just stay still or I’ll kiss you.”

With that statement, my mouth zipped shut. Although there was a part deep inside me that wanted to continue complaining and squirming until I feel the lips of that raccoon guy pressed against mine. He’s my best friend, I told myself, nothing more than that.

 

We went to my house that afternoon for an overnight. That has become a habit for us already. There are times when the house gets crowded because Donghae would come over too, but it was always fun.

“How’s your ankle?” Kangin asked when I stood up after the movie.

“It’s okay now,” I gave a reassuring smile coz he looked worried.

As I was on my way to the kitchen to get a soda, there was a knock on the front door. “I’ll get it!” I said.

I opened the door. There was a pretty girl at the doorstep, holding a thick book, smiling at me. She had an adorable smile… and a very attractive dimple.