The Bully

From U

“Jungsoo hyung!” I heard Wookie calling me at the canteen the next day “come on eat with us!” he gestured and I saw that Yesung was with him.

“Guys I told you to just call me Leeteuk,” I said as I sat down the empty chair in front of Wookie and Yesung.

“You were quite good yesterday at Professor Choi’s class,” Yesung said after taking a huge bite out of a clubhouse sandwich.

“Yeah we were surprised,” Wookie nodded.

“That was nothing really,” I said, trying to hide my joy in their compliments.

“The fact that you don’t have a partner but you memorized all those tools faster than all of us!” Yesung mused

“It was easy, no need to make it a big deal,” I smiled at them as I took a sip from the pineapple juice that I bought.

“Professor Choi should have given you extra points.” Wookie said.

“He didn’t give me points,” I shook my head “but he said I could choose to demonstrate next week or not. But that depends if my partner shows up.”

“That Youngwoon’s been absent since the first day,” Yesung irritably said “is he even planning to show up and continue with our class?”

Wookie and I shrugged. We continued on with our lunch. The canteen was still full of students. It was a good thing Wookie and Yesung offered me to join them, or else I would be eating lunch outside again.

 

 

In the midst of all the noisy students, my eyes automatically searched the place for that raccoon-looking boy with no particular reason at all.

 

As my eyes darted around the canteen, I saw Professor Shindong walking towards the teachers’ table… and then he suddenly slipped. His tray full of food flew in the air as his round body crashed the tiled floor. All heads instantly turned towards him and we all witnessed how his tray of food fell back down and all the contents rained on him.

 

There was a short moment of silence and awkwardness… and then everyone exploded with laughter. It was rude to laugh at a professor, but the way he slipped was hilarious. He looked like a huge Christmas ball on the ground, decorated with all those food he ordered. All the students were laughing hard!

“What’s going on here?” Professor Choi suddenly appeared at the doors.

 

Everyone stopped laughing in an instant. Except for me. My little crazy laugh lingered a few more seconds before I could finally control it to stop. But of course it was too late. Professor Choi looked disappointed at me as he shook his head. He gestured me to follow him.

“Your manners, Jungsoo…” he said as we walked down the corridor.

“But I didn’t do anything…” I said with my head down “and I wasn’t the only one laughing at Professor Shindong…”

“You were the last one laughing” he pointed out “I’m disappointed.”

 

We reached a room with the label “DETENTION” and I wasn’t surprised. I continued my sandwich inside that room alone. After a while, Professor Choi came back with another student.

“Thank you for admitting your crimes. Enjoy detention for two weeks.”

The student entered the room and smiled at me. Oh those raccoon eyes…