Surprise

From U

I was surprised with his question. Kangin was always straightforward to his questions even back then, and I was always caught off guard.

“When I left, I know I missed a lot of things already,” Kangin said when our food arrived “and by the way, when did you two start dating? I can’t even remember you being close with her either.”

“Yeah we weren’t really close back then,” I said as I swirled the straw on my juice “I guess it started during fourth year.”

Kangin took a big bite out of his sandwich and nodded me to continue.

“Their class was merged with the seniors during a fair. We were assigned as partners there so the awkwardness just faded afterwards.” I picked up the burger but didn’t take a bite “I graduated a year ahead of her but we continued to see each other often.”

“Waited for her to graduate first, didn’t you?” Kangin asked with a smirk.

“Of course,” I chuckled, still holding the burger “and surprisingly at that time, our parents became business partners.”

“Ah,” Kangin nodded after taking a sip ‘but why is she the boss and not you?”

“Everybody asks me that,” I shook my head with a smile “her family owns the business. We just invested a share.”

Kangin nodded after I was done explaining the details to him. He finished the sandwich and started on the burger. I was still holding mine.

“Don’t take this the wrong way Teukie, but by the way she talked to you yesterday, it couldn’t be seen that you guys are, you know…”

“That’s just the way she is,” I chuckled “at work, she wants us to be formal and professional towards each other so that the business won’t be affected by our rash decisions. But outside, we’re quite okay.”

 

Kangin then asked me about wedding plans and everything. Personally, I wasn’t ready yet. But it’s been nearly a year already that my parents were keen on my proposal for Sora. They approve of her and her family approved of me. Everybody’s expecting it. They were just waiting for my moves. Even I ask myself… why aren’t I proposing yet? I can’t have a simple answer.

“Hyung, you’re old enough, you both have stable jobs and all you know,” Hyukjae asked me over the phone a few months ago.

“I don’t know,” I simply answered.

“Is it because of Kangin?” he asked… it took me a while to answer.

 

“Teukie, hey,” Kangin snapped to get my attention back “you haven’t answered my question yet. Why didn’t you propose yet?”

“Because I uh,” I tried to come up with a credible answer “because I haven’t found the right ring yet.”

That’s the best I got. And he seemed to buy it.

Kangin gave me a sincere smile… but I sensed sadness in his eyes, or was it just the lighting? He reached out across the table and held my hand.

“If it’s going to make you happy,” Kangin softly said “I’ll help you with that.”