Two

Just Like You

A week later, Kyungsoo found himself situated on top of his bed, replaying their debut song over and over again until he would eventually let the song naturally take over.

He was familiarizing himself with Mama, trying to overlay the dance routine into his head.

In the midst of singing the song to himself, a soft knock reverberated through the room and the door slightly creaked open, Luhan’s head peeking in as if he was an intruder.

“What are you doing?” Luhan made his way to him.

Kyungsoo shrugged. 

“Stuff.”

Unconcerned with his stuff, Luhan grabbed the younger’s shoulders, smiling like a maniac. Wrinkles circulated his round eyes. Though most would say his age would look old with creases, Kyungsoo had to admit, it only made Luhan look like a younger child. 

“Can you make me some egg-drop soup?” The elder requested. 

It was only the both of them in the dorm at the time. Kyungsoo and Luhan had some special vocal lessons in the morning, having to wake up at an ungodly hour. The rest left mid-afternoon and when they arrived, the band was already gone.

Later, they will soon join the others at practice.

Kyungsoo dreaded dance practice.

He sighed at first. He didn’t want to make Luhan any soup, but the adorable boy kept giving him a look, one that made Kyungsoo churn with guilt. 

“Fine.” He crossed his arm in defeat, and followed a victorious Luhan into the kitchen, where he noticed the needed ingredients already sprawled out on the countertop. 

Luhan wiggled his eyebrows with a quick wink, having prior knowledge that he would be able to convince Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo shrugged out of annoyance, but an exciting feeling pumped inside of him at the thought of feeling wanted, and the thought of taking care of his band mates.

As he cooked, he didn’t realize a growing smile tugging on his lips had already formed. Embarrassed, despite no one witnessing the act, he immediately frowned with red cheeks.

Less than thirty minutes, the soup was consumed by the hungry Chinese male. The whole time, Kyungsoo spent it focusing on the oblivious messy-eater. He was engulfing the soup as if it was the end of the world. 

Kyungsoo chuckled.

Luhan looked up with tilted lips, confused as to why he was laughing at him. He opened his mouth to demand-

“It’s nothing.” Kyungsoo ruffled his hair like a father would do to a child. Luhan shook his head out of his hands. A smile reappeared and he continued to eat.

“All done!” Luhan exclaimed and dropped his spoon against the bowl dramatically. A small burp escaped his lips and he nudged at Kyungsoo.

“We should get going. They rest are probably waiting for us to show up.” 

Kyungsoo tried to not linger at the thought of another long practice, calming his nerves in prior of the future outcome.

With no passion for the upcoming practice, he lets Luhan drag him out of the place, both boys stumbling out with clumsiness. 

Luhan climbed over the doorsteps and reached back to grab a hold of Kyungsoo, knocking him over in the process. With all the shoes displayed everywhere, his footing lacked placement and Kyungsoo ends up on the ground.

“Ow…” Kyungsoo whimpered. 

Luhan scrambled his way, landing beside him and examined his ankle. “Oh my god Kyungsoo! Are you ok?” He panicked.

Kyungsoo nodded his head, trying to let the situation go, not wanting to make it a big deal. But it was too late when Luhan spotted tears threatening to edge out from his eyes. Luhan frowned.

“Can you walk Kyungie?” Luhan asked with sympathy. He lent his shoulder for the younger boy, who pleasantly took it.

“Of course, Luhan. It’s not that big of a deal.” He concealed the slight ache on his right ankle with a fake smile. 

Luckily for him, Luhan was gullible.

Though reluctantly, Luhan eventually let Kyungsoo go. And as they make their way to the company building, Luhan’s worries began to reappear. He had noticed the way Kyungsoo walked to the side, as if not pressuring his foot.

“Maybe we should go to the hospital.” Worry etched his face.

Kyungsoo gaped at the older, shaking his head furiously. “Seriously Luhan, I’m okay. I just tripped over some shoes. It doesn’t even hurt.” As if to prove it, he straightened his back and tried to walk normally, despite the pain shooting up his spine.

Luhan nodded as if to approve of the situation.

***

“We expected you guys two hours ago.” Kris demanded to know where they were. 

Luhan simply laughed and pushed the leader back. Most of the members fidgeted in their place, surprised that he would laugh at Kris. But Luhan is older than the leader, so it didn’t matter much.

“Don’t be so moody. We weren’t told when to arrive and if you wanted us so badly, why didn’t you just call or text us?” Luhan smiled and quickly changed into a more suitable outfit. 

Kris flustered from Luhan, directing his gaze to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo dropped his eyes and stepped behind Luhan, as if shielding himself under the Chinese leader’s deathly stare.

“Knock it off, Wu Fan.” Much to his may, Suho pulled Kris’ body away. 

“Now we’ve changed a few moves, but Lay and Jongin can teach you guys quickly.” He informed.

Kyungsoo can feel everyone’s stare doting on him. He knew what they were thinking.

It won’t be easy.

Of course learning new steps won’t be easy. But to him, it was like learning a new routine from the start.

So in two separate rooms, the band practiced while Lay gladly offered to teach Luhan and Kyungsoo the rest of the steps. Kyungsoo had sighed in relief, hoping Jongin wouldn’t be forced to teach them. 

After getting the hang of it, Lay ushered them back into their practice room where they joined in gradually.

Kyungsoo could feel Jongin’s predatory eyes boring holes into his head, readying himself to bite a comment at him when mistakes emerged. 

Dismissing the male, Kyungsoo concentrated on his right ankle. Most of the time he would try not to add any pressure into the lolling bones, but it would have been too obvious and someone would have pointed it out, like Luhan of course. So instead, he danced in agony as pain sided with him.

Hours of practice flew by and everyone was tired, much like every other day. But today was different to Kyungsoo. He was becoming dehydrated easily and a burning sensation would sprawl all over his body. 

He was hurting. His foot was hurting.

But not wanting to cause any more trouble for the others, he didn’t complain.

In the midst of the song, while the group was performing their stage of switching from K to M in Mama, K members had a chance to rest during M’s performance. It was a short break, considering how it wasn’t even a break, but Kyungsoo took this as in advantage.

He opened a bottle of water and attempted to drink it, but it was suddenly throttled out of his hands.

Surprised, he looked up to see Jongin glaring at him, hatred written all over.

“You wouldn’t be able to drink whenever performing live.” He stated before putting the cap on and throwing it against the ground near the mirror.

No one had saw their little exchange.

Jongin gave a small push to him and Kyungsoo ended up stumbling backward, back hitting the wall. He face distorts in pain as the feeling of his foot going numb slowly trickled on.

It was too late to give any attention to his foot as the team switched to their parts. The song came to an end, their manager dismissing them for the day. Most cheered while others left right away.

Kyungsoo slid to the floor, back against the mirror.

Each member were dispersing, Kyungsoo noticing Jongin being one of the ones who had left quickly. 

His thoughts trained on the faults made that day, most relating to moves that were horribly performed.

Useless…

A sudden presence made himself known, sliding his body beside down.

“Kyungie, how’s your foot?” Luhan asked. 

He panicked in fear of someone else hearing Luhan’s statement. But the closest person was Lay and he was simply talking with Xiumin. 

Kyungsoo sighed.

“I’m okay, Luhan. There’s nothing to worry about-”

“No, Kyungsoo.” Luhan’s face suddenly changed from his happy face, into something more serious. It kind of scared Kyungsoo from the rapid change of emotions. “You’re not okay. I saw you walking strange.”

The urge to run away from Luhan crossed his mind. He doesn’t want Luhan to worry for him. He doesn’t need his help.

“What are you talking about,” Kyungsoo looked anywhere but him. “I’m fine and I don’t need you to worry about me. If I was hurting, I’d tell you. Trust me, Hyung.”

As if not believing him, he opened his mouth to protest but a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

“Luhan? Are you coming?” 

It was Sehun, and like before, Kyungsoo was secretly grateful for the maknae’s rude behavior. Luhan looked reluctant to go as he stared deeply into Kyungsoo, a frown sporting his face. 

“Ok, but if you feel any pain, immediately come to me!” Luhan demanded, and Kyungsoo nodded his in understanding. He then left with Sehun.

“Aren’t you coming?” Suho asked.

Kyungsoo was about to say yes, but then his mistakes flood his mind again.

“Actually, I think I’ll stay here for a little longer.”

Suho raised an eyebrow and when Kyungsoo doesn’t answer, he shrugged.

“Don’t stay long and don’t tire yourself out.” He said before leaving the keys near the door. 

Suho left.

Yes Hyung…

The more practice, the better, despite the pain that would eventually meet it’s victory.