Eight

Just Like You

After what felt like hours, Kyungsoo sighs dejectedly at Baekhyun’s tardiness. He readies himself and quickly discards his presence away from the studio. Knowing Baekhyun, he probably forgot. No matter how determined his mindset was, Baekhyun’s lectures were the results of important dates replaced with playful, silly, and useless antics. 

So after an hour of waiting, Kyungsoo rids himself the burden of waiting and proceeds to leave SM‘s building. Trippingly, he slips his coat on as the elevator dings, indicating the doors opening. He hits the lobby button, watching as it turns a light yellow, and calms his mind to a patient manner. 

As the doors begin to close, a “hold up!” can be heard a distance away. Not long after, a man stumbles in with frantic looks. Kyungsoo is startled, jumping away at the mere sight of the new presence. He stands quietly at the wall, watching as the man gathers himself together, oblivious to the stare Kyungsoo gives him. 

“Thank you,” The man breathes out, finally settling into a calm demeanor that Kyungsoo finds more comfortable in. Though there was no need to thanks, Kyungsoo nods his head in acknowledgement anyway.

A comfortable silence soon takes place as the elevator dings, signaling the door’s closing. The latest music plays lightly overhead, distracting both boy’s thoughts. But Kyungsoo finds his curiosity taking place. With a small glance towards the slightly tussled man, realization dawns at him. There was no mistake, the blonde hair was the first hint. It was as if luck has hit Kyungsoo straight in the face. But after a thorough examination, Kyungsoo confirms it to be unluckiness rather than luck itself.

A gasp escapes his mouth and the singer immediately covers the mistake with his hands, for the man is now looking at him oddly. Stepping away, Kyungsoo curls himself into the corner, fear evident in his eyes.

“Wow, are you ok?” The late man asks with a hand reaching out as comfort. Kyungsoo shakes his head and turns the other way. 

A confused eyebrow is thrown up when Kyungsoo retracts himself farther. 

Glancing at his still hands, the man coughs at the outstretched arm and pulls them back into himself. “Did I do something to offend you?”

Kyungsoo still doesn’t reply, only wavers his lips as he shakes his head.

Realizing he isn’t going to get an answer soon, the man frowns and scratches his head out of concern. His deep eyes harden, as if thinking deeply of something. After moments of casual whimpering, his eyes widen from a thought. 

“Have I met you before?”

“I don’t think s-so,” The trembling boy replies, his stutter being all too suspicious. 

As quickly as Kyungsoo has figured it out, the blonde boy bites his lip as his memory got the best of him. He deepens his face until guilt rides his very skin.

“You were at the club.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t bother agreeing because both parties know already. Judging by the man’s guilt-ridden expression, he knows who Kyungsoo is. 

“Oh god. You were there when I was drunk. I was dragging you out and- I’m so sorry!” The blonde’s voice begins to tremble out of sincerity. His apology doesn’t go amiss by Kyungsoo, yet the latter doesn’t forgive him. It was all too soon. 

“I get out of hand when I drink. I’m sorry I did that to you!” Suddenly Kyungsoo felt his face redden as the man kneels. It’s too unexpected and Kyungsoo shuffles to the side to allow more space between them. 

“Please don’t do this here,” Kyungsoo whispers embarrassingly. 

“But what I did was horrible and wrong-”

“Please,” Kyungsoo grits his teeth, “not here.”

On cue, a ding sounds off and the doors open. Feeling like dying at the spot, Kyungsoo groans at the appearance of Baekhyun with un-groomed hair wearing a wrinkling shirt. As soon as he saw a man bowing deep below Kyungsoo, confusion sweeps in.

“What’s going on?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t have the braveness to say anything. Instead, he walks out hand-in-hand with Baekhyun, dragging him in the other direction.

Not only has Kyungsoo been shocked by the sudden event, but the mere thought of that past has traumatized him. The appearance of the culprit only worsens the memoir.

“Why was Jiyong bowing to you?” Baekhyun questions, halting in steps. Baekhyun was proving it to be a hard task, for Kyungsoo wants to rid the situation away.

“Just a small mishap. Now let’s go before-”

“Wait!” As if he couldn’t be any more tortured, Jiyong runs after them, arriving shortly after Baekhyun’s smile appears.

“Jiyong! What are you doing here?”

“Baekhyun-ah! I thought you were on break? I didn’t think I would be seeing you until after the New Years.” 

“You know him?” Kyungsoo timidly sways. Baekhyun nods. “He’s our new choreographer. Some of us got to meet him and I was one of the lucky ones.” Baekhyun winks jokingly. Both males laugh, Kyungsoo obviously not getting the joke. “And I see you guys have already met.”

“Ah, not really.” He turns to face Kyungsoo. “I’m Jiyong, your new choreographer.”

Kyungsoo frowns.

“I know we got off to a bad start and I sincerely apologize with what happened between us. I really hope you’ll forgive me. I know we just met, but we’re going to be spending a lot of time together in the practice room, and I’d like to keep my relationships on good terms with everyone.” 

Kyungsoo shivers under his voice.

Jiyong doesn’t get a chance to defend himself more, because the victim trails away from the useless meeting. Baekhyun’s confusion is put aside as he drags Kyungsoo back, demanding to stay put. 

“Do you guys need a ride back? With all those fans out there, anything dangerous could happen.” Jiyong asks. Baekhyun smiles genuinely at the suggestion, but shakes his head.

“That would be wonderful, but we still have to rehearse.” 

“I don’t want to anymore.” Kyungsoo says in excuse.

Baekhyun frowns and clings onto the thin arm, lips jutting out. “Please. You promised!” 

It isn’t as if Kyungsoo even has a choice. Baekhyun begins pleading him all too soon. He knew Baekhyun’s persistence would eventually win him over.

“I thought you loved me!”

“I thought you would be on time.” Kyungsoo retorts. Baekhyun’s whining begins and desperately not wanting to deal with a whiny Baekhyun, he exasperatedly gives up. 

“Fine! Just don’t be late next time.” The statement is a mere excuse to cover up the fear of Jiyong’s appearance, which still remains in their presence, much to Kyungsoo’s dismay. 

“I could wait for you guys, so that you won’t have to be bombard with that herd outside.” Jiyong gestures to the crowd of fan girls outside. 

“I don’t know,” Baekhyun warns, “it might take a few hours.”

“That’s fine. I’d like to hear the vocals of Korea’s future top stars.” Jiyong waves it off.

Baekhyun gasps. “We haven’t even debuted yet! That thought is so…” he shakes his head, “unimaginable.”

Jiyong chuckles sweetly. “I’d like to be one of the firsts to witness Exo’s amazing singers.” Charmingly, Jiyong winks and Baekhyun becomes flattered. Kyungsoo doesn’t say much, but his thoughts are washed with dread as soon as the duo begin their vocal rehearsal.

***

Voices scratched and dry, Baekhyun claps excitingly as the song ends. Unlike Baekhyun, shame emerges unwillingly at the undefined cracks in his voice. 

Not only did Kyungsoo sing horribly, but his nerves became jumbled when he caught Jiyong watching him intensity. Insecurities were bubbling too much, especially with Baekhyun’s voice contrasting his.

“It’s ok, Kyung. Practice makes perfect, right?” Baekhyun gently pats him on the back before skipping to the bathroom.

Without warning, a lingering form stands behind him, almost making him break sweat.

“You guys were great.” Jiyong applauds.

Nodding from the compliment, Kyungsoo takes few steps away for cautious reasons. 

“Can we talk about what happened the first time we met.” 

The surroundings become suddenly sensitive. Kyungsoo becomes aware of the dangerous topic and opts to leave it nothing. “Let’s just forget what happened.

Jiyong stills at the comment, face expressionless. “I don’t think what happened can easily be forgotten.”

After getting no answer, he proceeds to win Kyungsoo over. “Can we start over?”

Flabbergasted that Jiyong would ever suggest such a thing, Kyungsoo makes it obvious that he is not interested in starting over. He shrugs the man off and impatiently waits for Baekhyun’s arrival.

“Sorry if this is too awkward, but when I woke up the next day I had a bruise. Do you, by chance, know the reason why?” Jiyong asks, making the situation even more unbearable to deal with than it was in the before. 

“Someone from the band had done it.” Kyungsoo speaks up, remembering the way Jongin had stepped in to help him. He remembers Jongin’s caring and genuine side at the time. The way their fingers were tightly bounded together as if letting go would mean getting hurt. 

“Does anyone know what happened, aside from you and your friend?”

Again, no reply. “I’m guessing that’s a no.” Jiyong eventually says at Kyungsoo’s non-responsive self. 

A slight sigh emits from his mouth and judging by the tensing in his voice, Kyungsoo suspiciously assumes the man has no intentions of revealing what had happened to anyone else. 

Unluckily for him, Kyungsoo had caught that sigh.

Baekhyun appears before them and leads them off. He, with no hesitation, accepts the offer for a ride. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, fakes a smile, for he’d rather go through a horde of fans than sit with his culprit. 

***

“I guess this is the part where I invite you in.”

Now, as they all stand outside the dorm awaiting the door to open, the hyped boy offers Jiyong hospitality. Hospitality Kyungsoo definitely doesn’t want to give.

Kyungsoo’s fingers cross in hope of the man rejecting Baekhyun‘s request. His face fills with joy whenever Jiyong’s expression becomes hesitant.

Jiyong answers with an okay, forcing Kyungsoo to frown unnoticeably.

The members are quick to greet him with respect. Everyone took Jiyong’s visit very unexpectedly. Kyungsoo even caught Suho trying to clean up last minute details. 

“Jongin-ah, Sehun-ah! Come out and greet our visitor!” Suho quickly yells for the youngsters. 

“I’m sorry about the mess. We didn’t expect a guest this late in the evening.” The Korean leader chuckles as he sits Jiyong on the couch.

Kyungsoo, not pleased, runs into the hallway to relieve the incident away. But before he was able to retreat, Luhan has him in a hug-walk like position dragging him back into the main room.

“You can’t leave guests unattended!” He informs as members appear suddenly to greet Jiyong. 

“But I already met him earlier and it’s really unnecessa-”

“You’re being rude!” Luhan hushes.

Kyungsoo pinches him in the arm before freeing away. “There’s really no use of me being here. We talked earlier so our introductions are over.”

In attempt to escape, Kyungsoo fastens his pace and turns around clumsily. With the messy move, a hard chest hits him in the head with a soft thud, resulting in his mind becoming foggy with confusion mixed with warmth. 

“Oh Jongin! Sehun!” Suho shouts at the two dancers. 

Kyungsoo momentarily stills, aware of the figures standing above him. Red stains his cheeks when his eyes meet Jongin’s sharp stare. He feels small suddenly. He wraps an arm around himself and incoherently mutters apologetic words towards Jongin.

“Jiyong, these are our two youngest dancers. They’re really good and I’m sure they would love to hear many things from you.” 

Though the members were chatting obliviously to Jiyong in the background, all of Kyungsoo’s jumbled thoughts are focused on Jongin’s lingering body above him. Though not standing anymore, he feels that one foot difference dramatically distancing between them. 

Heart rapidly racing, Kyungsoo stumbles his way out of the room, only to feel a tug at his wrist. Shock resonates through his mind when he realizes Jongin’s fingers are wrapped tightly around his tiny wrists. 

Kyungsoo’s stomach dances in a way he couldn’t describe. There was a sensation of protectiveness, but he knew that was far from reality. 

Jongin’s thick lips curve in a way that makes him look confused, but awareness hits him at recognition of the blonde male. Suddenly, Jongin’s confused state withers into resentment

“This man was at the club.” Jongin notes, loud enough to garner the attention of all members. 

His bronzed cheekbones riddle side to side as if popping them out of anger. This doesn’t go amiss by the shorter, who he finds all too calm in this situation. The fingers coiling at his wrist become tighter.

Charming looks fading and shifting into a mirage of the devil, Jongin fastens his breath in incredulity like an ox ready to kill.

Jiyong is precipitously wary, suspecting this wasn’t the first time he’s met the dancer. “I’ve been spotted in lots of clubs,” he defends. The others find the circumstances odd, for Jongin’s offensive line is suspicious in the least.

“Jongin…” A whisper as quiet as a breeze has Jongin returning gazes with Kyungsoo.

A scoff emits from Jongin’s mouth, the thought of Kyungsoo’s beseech too comical.

“I don’t see how Jiyong going to clubs is relevant here.” Suho warns, already annoyed with one of the maknae’s attitude. 

“I don’t see how Jiyong going to clubs is relevant.” Suho’s reinforced gaze is sharply sent towards the second maknae. 

“Excuse Jongin’s useless banter.” Sehun jabs him in the ribs in attempt to shut the boy up. Jongin groans inwardly, annoyed with his friend’s unsupportive side.  

“Now that we’re all here, food and conversations sound appealing enough to do, don’t you think?” Suho says, eyes directing on Kyungsoo who knows what the elder wants. And with enough said, Kyungsoo obeys for the sake of Suho’s reputation.

Jongin also gets the memo, finally freeing the smaller who quickly retreats into the kitchen. Breaking free from Jongin left Kyungsoo thwarted, the warmth abiding his side now gone and away. With Suho’s face telling him to hurry, Kyungsoo has no time to reprimand thoughts on the comforting sensation and is forced to worry about it later.

Xiumin surprisingly follows him in, taking notice in the shortage of ingredients. “You can make some kind of stir-fry.”

“I guess I could.” Kyungsoo shrugs chugging out carrots, onions, and spinach. They’re not the best ingredients that could correspond well with one another, but it was an only choice.

Suspecting that Xiumin was forcefully there by Suho to help him, Kyungsoo appreciates his aid but would much rather be alone. He doesn’t voice this out though, especially when being alone at the moment was definitely not going to happen with Jongin’s entering frame. 

The look on Jongin’s face has Kyungsoo cowering. Xiumin disregards his presence, only focusing on the vegetables. 

Unlike the focused eldest, Kyungsoo is not nearly as concentrated as him. His whole being shifts from the red meat to the towering dancer grunting before him.

“Do you even care that he’s here?” Jongin bites. Too stunned to answer, Kyungsoo faces away trying to avoid conflict from rising. Jongin continues his backlash, also earning Xiumin’s interest in the process. 

“That man,” He points wildly at Jiyong, “almost you. How are you not in the least worried about your own safety?! Are you trying to make yourself a death wish? Seriously, even after I tried to rid him from you, you go and make things complicated”

“I do care!” Kyungsoo yaps back, body shaking from the rush of concern. “And I’m scared. But I don’t have any control in this situation!” 

“So you’re just going to let this man intrude in your home and become cozy with your friends? You’re even making him food for god sakes!”

Shock evidently displays on Xiumin’s stilling body. “What the hell are you two talking about?” He says, only to be ignored.

“Why do you even care. It‘s not like I begged you to help me.”

Jongin opens his mouth only to close it a second later. His eye twitches.

“It’s not you who’s scared. You’re not the victim. You’re not the one being pressured into confronting the culprit.” Kyungsoo says with an exasperated sigh. 

“How’s that got anything to do with this.” Jongin’s voice was stern.

“It’s got everything to do with this. It’s not like you’re any better than Jiyong.” Kyungsoo responds sharply. 

This strikes a chord in Jongin. He scoffs in disbelief. 

Jutting his jaw, Jongin stomps forward. Kyungsoo could feel the deadly stare stabbing into his frail body. He knew what he said would lead to consequences. He knew yet there was a driven force that told him to voice out the thought.

Visibly shaking, Kyungsoo awaits the wrath of Jongin with closed eyes, only to feel nothing, not even a word, within the next moments.

“Stop it, Jongin. Leave. He’s scared.” Xiumin’s authority gives in. Even though he wasn’t appointed leader, the respect Xiumin had was as high as Suho and Kris’s. 

Jongin backs up until his body comes out of the kitchen. Kyungsoo doesn’t miss the pained expression Jongin gives him on the way out.

“Are you alright?” Xiumin whispers lowly, holding the thinner one in his arms. 

Kyungsoo nods. 

“I know you probably don’t want to talk about it, but this is serious.” Xiumin begins. “Tell me what happened at the club and we’ll get things straightened out.”

“Nothing happened. It’s all a misunderstanding.”

“Do you expect me to believe that?” Flabbergasted, Xiumin crosses his arms as if expecting more of Kyungsoo.

“The others are probably hungr-”

“The others can deal with it.” Xiumin intercepts, tone slicing Kyungsoo’s words easily. 

“It’s nothing serious. Leave it alone, Xiumin. It’s none of your business.”

Xiumin grunts in displeasure, obviously riled up. “You think is nothing serious? Well, it is and whether you like it or not, I am getting a clear answer from you unless you want me to bring Suho and Wufan in here myself. If you didn’t want it to be a part of my business, you wouldn’t have talked about it in front of me. Now tell me the truth or I’m calling for the others.”

The words coming out of Xiumin was unlike any tone Kyungsoo has ever heard before. Even so, the power the eldest holds still doesn’t give him in.

“ was an exaggeration-”

“Kyungsoo,” Xiumin shakes his head with a sigh, “the truth. What did Jiyong do to you.” He asks louder than their hushed conversation was, a clear sign that his warning wasn’t a joke.

Panicking, Kyungsoo hesitates and staggers over his words. Xiumin gives him one cautionary look before opening his mouth.

“Suh-”

“Jiyong was drunk!” This time, it was Kyungsoo’s turn to intercept.

Avoiding eye contact, he continues the story as Xiumin halts in his own words, awaiting the continuation.

“He found me after we arrived at the club. He was drunk and brought me outside.”

Xiumin listens intently, nodding in an understanding way.

“After he brought me out, he was going to kiss me…” a pause, out of fear mostly, “but Jongin pushed him off. He punched him and that’s when we left the club.”

Processing with the story, Xiumin pulls the younger in into a hug. “Why didn’t you tell us?” 

Freezing for a moment, Kyungsoo manages to utter a plead through his wavering voice. “Don’t tell anyone, Hyung. Please don’t. It’ll only make things complicated and it wasn’t even that serious.”

He begs with watery eyes threatening to spill earnest tears. Hands in Xiumin‘s own, he holds on tightly and shakes his head in shame. “Hyung, don’t tell. Please, I beg you. I’ll do anything. Just please, keep it a secret.”

Guilt punches Xiumin in the stomach. Nonetheless, the truth must come out to make things right. “You know I can’t do that.”

“Hyung, Jiyong didn’t do anything. It was the alcohol in his system. It wasn’t him.” Kyungsoo rapidly excuses. “We all know how alcohol changes a person. Look at him, he can’t possibly be the same guy.” Kyungsoo directs towards Jiyong, who was laughing happily towards a joke Chanyeol had cracked.

Xiumin directs his line of sight towards said male. Like Kyungsoo stated, Jiyong would never look the part of a bad guy. But whether he did or not, Xiumin still isn’t convinced.

“That doesn’t matter here, Kyungsoo. What matters is you were almost ually harassed. If that doesn’t prove-”

“Hyung,” Kyungsoo says, eyes dripping with tiny droplets of tears. “Please…” One simple word that sounds too soft and deep has Xiumin whipped into the Hyung that he is. One simple look and Xiumin finds himself wanting to protect this precious secret. And one simple statement has a sealed deal, all to pleasing for Kyungsoo’s ears.

“Fine.” Xiumin rubs soothing circles into his backbone, forcing Kyungsoo to stay put, otherwise the secret is out. “But on one condition.” 

Kyungsoo nods his head eagerly, willing to do anything to keep the eldest’s mouth sealed tight. 

“You must eat three full meals a day, all under my watch.” 

The wish couldn’t be more appropriate than ever. 

“Okay.” Kyungsoo promises with no other choice.

“Good. You’ve been skipping meals lately. That‘s not healthy, Kyungsoo, especially since debut isn‘t too far away.”

“Okay, Hyung.”

“Now,” Xiumin smiles, though sadly, and sits Kyungsoo on a stool. “Why don’t I cook and you relax?”

***

Idly shifting from time to time, Kyungsoo watches uncomfortably as everybody gobbles Xiumin’s meal in a quick go. Unlike the rest, his plate is still full with the stir-fry. 

After a look Xiumin gives him, Kyungsoo remains his focus on the still plate on his lap, contemplating what to eat first. He bites down into chopped carrots and Xiumin nods in satisfaction. 

Soon, half of his plate is gone and that portion sits in his stomach, in which Kyungsoo finds disgustingly unsettling. But with Xiumin’s hawk-like eyes watching him as if under house arrest, he’s forced to bite into the caloric food until all is gone.

The room is chatty as usual. Baekhyun and Chanyeol took it upon themselves to entertain Jiyong, who seems too comfortable for Kyungsoo’s liking.

With all the commotion happening around him, Kyungsoo finds his eyes wandering towards the silent figure eating alone near Sehun, who was chatting with Luhan.

Jongin looks emotionless and nobody questions this because it was his usual façade. But Kyungsoo knew it was different this time.

Something like regret gnaws at him. It was his first time speaking up to Jongin with the incident earlier, yet he doesn’t feel all too relieved. In fact, Kyungsoo becomes disappointed in himself, especially with the rude remark comparing Jongin to Jiyong. 

Even with Jongin’s constant rudeness towards Kyungsoo, that one simple opinionated statement was borderline wrong. But at the same time, Kyungsoo felt a sense of courage. Its as if he was fighting back for the first time. It actually made him feel strong for once.

Caught with staring too long, Jongin looks dazed as he molds his fixedly look on Kyungsoo. Sadness seeps onto the line connecting between them and Kyungsoo feels his stomach flip.

“Kyungsoo-ah.” The sudden voice has him returning to the new body situating beside him. 

It was Jiyong.

“I’m sorry for what happened between us. I believe there’s no other way for me to fix this relationship.”

Kyungsoo knows Jongin is staring at them. He could feel his hardened gaze burning like fire at the two. 

“It’s all in the past,” Kyungsoo reassures. He scoots away from the blonde, wanting more distance to comfort his own needs. “I forgive you.” 

“No, don’t.” Jiyong sternly says. “I think we should start over. Let me treat you out one day. Please, make it my effort to formerly apologize to you.” 

Kyungsoo, though unknowingly, immediately shifts his gaze to Jongin, who witnesses the exchange. Jongin clutches his knuckles together, and his head even seems to shake as if forcing Kyungsoo to decline the offer.

With the rash sense of adrenaline, the urge to accept Jiyong’s request becomes invitingly hard to not say yes.

Jongin’s look displays a set of emotions ranging from determination to anger. It’s as if Kyungsoo was aiming for that one particular emotion that’s got Jongin regretting his decision of ever hurting Kyungsoo. And with that in mind, Kyungsoo doesn’t hesitate to nod.

“That’ll be a good start.” Kyungsoo fakes a smile. 

Jongin visibly bites his lip. He grunts in agitation and stands up to leave. Steps leaving an eerie feeling behind, Jongin sends one look at Jiyong, who takes notice of his disappearing presence, and enters his room. 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know whether his decision was a bad choice, lest he’ll be dining with the man who drunkenly harassed him, or a good one, for Jongin’s wrath towards the two seems to thrill Kyungsoo more than ever.