Five

Just Like You

Sunlight emerged it’s nature into the bedroom, fluttering eyelids of Kyungsoo’s opening to a bright morning. His body ache from fatigue, but an even more serious pain dwelled on his jaw.

Rotating his jaw up and down until it became locked, he howled from the stiffness, and began to exercise it. 

As his hands massaged the bruise, his eyes dart around the room, only to find it empty, excluding himself. Both other beds were unoccupied, piles of blankets lay everywhere. 

There was an odd atmosphere and realization hit Kyungsoo whenever he heard nothing. Silence. The dorm was empty.

He hadn’t heard the dorm this quiet in a long time. It was actually the quietest it had ever been within these rooms and Kyungsoo was in no doubt grateful for it.

Getting up to check if he could find any evidence for the current situation, Kyungsoo slipped off his blanket and proceeded to the door, where it was already creaked open.

As he emerged from his cave, the smell of eggs and coffee wafted into his nostrils, washing him over with the sensation of the typical morning breakfasts. 

He continued into the kitchen, where the source of the smell was coming from.

Eyes trailed to Luhan, who was dancing slightly to invisible music, but was also cooking the eggs Kyungsoo had smelt.

Luhan wasn’t the only other person here. Because sitting at the table, Sehun carried a smile that was obviously caused by the oblivious Luhan, who was being watched the whole time.

“Oh, Kyungsoo! You’re awake!” Luhan chirped, also causing Sehun’s attention to advert towards the younger.

Kyungsoo gulped, almost out of fear. “Y-yeah. I’m awake.”

Sehun had been Jongin’s best friend for the longest time. Unlike Jongin, who spoke his thoughts bluntly, Sehun was rather quiet and only stuck to Jongin’s side like a mysterious side kick.

Though Sehun was never cruel to him, Kyungsoo was still high on alert, simply because of his relationship with Jongin.

“The others went out to play at the park nearby.” Luhan happily informed, fixing a plate of food.

Kyungsoo nodded his head.

“We were waiting for you so that you won’t have to walk alone whenever joining the rest.”

Kyungsoo forced a smile out of appreciation. “Thank you.”

He knew very well that Luhan was the only one waiting, out of kindness of course. Sehun was only here to stay with Luhan, who was oblivious to his affections.

Before anyone could say anything else, Luhan was quick to guide Kyungsoo to the table and forcefully sat him down, sliding the plate swiftly to him. “Eat, Kyungsoo. I made it just for you and if you don‘t, my feelings would be hurt.” He put hands over his own heart, faking a hurt expression (it looked cute to Sehun).

Kyungsoo looked up at the elder, wanting to thank him again. It was too late when Luhan gasped, reaching out for Kyungsoo like a baby. “You have a bruise. When did this happen?!”

Kyungsoo adverted his gaze and stuffed food in his mouth. “It’s fine, Luhan. I just fell.”

Luhan didn’t look convinced. He frowned and crossed his arms. “I don’t believe you. I think it has something to do with Jongin.” 

This caused Sehun, who had been ignoring them and texting the others, to shift his focus on the new subject.

Kyungsoo was embarrassed that Luhan brought up Jongin. Especially in front of his best friend.

“J-Jongin had nothing to do with me. It was dark last night and I fell.” 

Luhan rolled his eyes. “But you were with him last night. Did he make you fall? Did he hurt you in any way?”

Sehun stiffened in his seat.

“Jongin would never intentionally hurt someone.” He defended for his friend’s sake.

Luhan shook his head and frowned. “Physically, maybe. But emotionally, yes.”

“What do you mean, maybe? I’ve known him for four years. You just can’t accuse him of physically hurting someone.” Sehun had dismissed Luhan’s last sentence, knowing it was true. Nonetheless, being a good friend, Sehun was protecting Jongin.

“Yeah, well, I’ve known Kyungsoo for a long time and I know he’s not as clumsy as he makes it seem.” Luhan stated with determination. 

Kyungsoo felt awkward in between the two. It was as if he was witnessing a couple’s argument, which would have been the case if Sehun had already asked the elder.

Sehun glared. “That doesn’t mean you can point fingers at Jongin.”

“He was the only one with Kyungsoo last night. If fingers were pointing to anyone, it would obviously be him.”

“Who says it’s anyone’s fault?”

Kyungsoo was shrinking in his spot. The duo were talking as if he weren’t there, and it was making him feel uncomfortable. He was getting smaller and smaller, as Luhan and Sehun were getting louder and louder.

“Can we just meet with the others-”

“Kyungsoo said Jongin!”

“Actually I didn’t-”

“He’s lying, obviously!”

The two paid no heed to Kyungsoo’s in-between sentences, as they continue their heated argument.

***

Kyungsoo walked with hesitation.

Luhan looked, angrily, to the side of the road, eyes downcast with pure agitation. On the other side of Kyungsoo, Sehun walked straight ahead with an expressionless face. The two didn’t dare talk, making the deafening silence drag into an awkward atmosphere, in which Kyungsoo could not break.

Their argument had been jolted to a stop when Suho ringed Luhan on the phone, wanting their presence at the park, leaving the trio to their current situation.

The park was only five minutes away on feet. Though the time was short, it felt like an eternity had gone through with high tension up in the air.

Luckily for Kyungsoo, he could see the edge of the park just around the corner. Fastening his footsteps, he caught up with the rest of the group.

Upon entering the almost empty park, he spotted Chanyeol and Baekhyun playing with flowers over a small hedge. Baekhyun was happily grinning at the rapper, poking him in the abdomen. 

Chen and Tao had taken position under a small slide, whispering quietly to each other, devilish smirks forming, in which Kyungsoo assumed was never a good thing.

The rest were circled together on a field of green grass, some chatting contently, while others completely bored.

Having noticed the new presences, Jongin quickly called out Sehun to join him. Sehun happily obliged, Luhan frowned while his eyes followed the tall male’s retreating figure.

Luhan tried to not look hurt, but Kyungsoo knew otherwise. And it was completely his fault.

“Luhan…” He halted both of them. “I’m sorry, about earlier with Sehun.”

“What are you talking about? It wasn’t your fault.”

Kyungsoo sighed with hesitation. “I caused it, and I’m sorry-”

“Don’t apologize, Kyungsoo.” Luhan stated, rather guiltily. “Sehun was right, I shouldn’t have blamed Jongin, but that doesn’t mean he should be a jerk about it.”

Kyungsoo, also guiltily, bit his lips and played with the hem of his shirt. He opened his mouth to speak again, but they came to a stop beside of the group. Rather than speaking it out in front of the others, he decided to save the conversation for a later time. 

Kyungsoo and Luhan hastily sat beside of the group, Kyungsoo noticing the way Suho eyeing him. 

“Where were you last night, Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo was surprised at the sudden turn of attention, all eyes, especially Jongin’s, trained on him.

“And what happened to your face?!” Kris said, face scrunching from the painful look of the bruise that had slightly swelled down, due to Luhan’s icepack before they had left.

“I-uh-” He didn’t know where to begin. “I was needing some fresh air last night.”

“For four hours?” Suho emphasized, sticking four fingers up in his face.

Kyungsoo nodded.

“And what about this?” He gestured to the bruise.

Kyungsoo held in a breath, eyes locking with Jongin’s piercing ones. It was as if he was silently warning him, or daring him to tattle-tale his doings.

“He-” Luhan began, but was tauntingly cut off by Sehun.

“He fell.” Sehun answered. 

Confusions swept the other’s faces at the odd behavior of Sehun and Luhan. It was more odd that Sehun was the one answering, considering how he never really hung out with Kyungsoo.

“You got that,” Xiumin bluntly, and innocently pointed at the purplish mark on his jaw, “from a fall? It must have been pretty hard.” He whistled.

Kyungsoo didn’t talk any further, wanting no attention on himself. He wasn’t trying to be modest, but he disliked the idea of being the center of everyone’s mind.

With an odd atmosphere in the air, Kris spoke, adverting everyone’s focus onto the new subject.

“So why did we decide to come here again?” Kris bluntly showcased his displeasure. He shivered in his spot, much like everyone else.

Suho rolled his eyes. “Stop complaining. We’re trying to have fun.”

“Playing in the cold is fun?”

“Whatever Kris. Just try to enjoy-”

“Ack!” Xiumin exclaimed suddenly. Rocks were thrown everywhere in the eldest’s direction, creating small scratches and purplish marks. 

Two figures retreated from their hidden spot, giggling loudly for everyone to hear. 

“Chen! Tao!” Xiumin fumed angrily.

Kris eyed the commotion before standing up. “Yeah, playing in the park is so fun.” He sarcastically emphasized. He grunted before tugging the rest up. “We are going somewhere, anywhere but here.”

Catching Chen, Tao, and the Baekyeol couple’s attention, the rest ran up to the man and jumped wildly around him.

“An ice cream shop!” Tao suggested. Kris snorted in amazement. “Somewhere not cold.”

“The mall, maybe?” Lay then said, peaking some member’s interest. Kris, again, shook his head. “That’s too open.”

“Besides, we don’t have that much money on us.” Suho then said. Lay eyed him from the side, as if to question his wallet’s emptiness.

With several places crossed off the list, the boys took a few minutes to think of any places that would be fun, not cold, and cheap.

Kyungsoo didn’t care where they went, as long as he was not in the way. He didn’t want to bother anyone with his presence, considering how he didn’t want to be there in the first place. He was more of an individual, which he had to work on, according to Suho.

With thoughts lingering in the air, Chen raised his hand and was called out on.

“What about a small club?” 

Suho looked flabbergasted that the vocal would suggest something like this. His mouth opened wide, along with the innocent Luhan who in the least did not want to attend a club.

“No way are we going to a club!” Suho shrieked.

Luhan nodded his head. “We’re going to debut this upcoming year and we can’t be seen clubbing. Besides, some of us aren’t even legal yet.” He gestured to the two youngest, but stopped mid-way whenever Sehun was caught eyeing him.

“Come on, Suho!” Chen pouted. “There are clubs where they’ll let kids in, so age doesn‘t matter. Please!” 

“We’re not kids.” Sehun protested, crossing his arms as if proving it, Jongin agreeing with the younger. Kyungsoo almost smiled at the cute act, but held himself back, realizing who the two youngest were.

The rest nodded their heads, agreeing with Chen who pouted childishly. An eerie silence escaped Suho’s mouth, some members sighing at the response.

Suho crossed his arms, eyes scrunched in defeat. “Fine-”

“YAY!”

“Thanks Hyung!”

“Finally!”

Cheers were heard amongst the young men, none included Kyungsoo who only stared with a blank face, fear shown in the irises of his eyes for the upcoming events.


***


The group had quickly found a club, thanks to Chen who seemed to be an expert at it. It was fairly expensive, but Kris had offered to pay for some of the younger ones, who accepted it gladly.

It was only mid-afternoon, meaning the population within the confined rooms were very limited. But as the group entered the room, in which having to duck down under a purplish-silk drape, dozens of people strew the area.

Kyungsoo began to panic.

It was dark. There were people dancing all around him. Though no one seemed overly drunk, there were some who began to show signs of tipsiness. 

It was his first time in a place like this. And the fact that the band had dispersed to do their own thing made Kyungsoo worry even more.

Chen was dragging a bitter Xiumin over to the bar. The eldest was whimpering from the blinding lights and lack of sanitation. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were already gone, as if they had already known what to do. Kris and Tao were seen dancing with each other. Suho and Lay would rather not interact with strangers, taking their own seat at an area containing chairs. Kai was no where in sight.

This left Luhan by Kyungsoo’s side, the duo awkwardly standing near the entrance like newbies, and in their case, it was indeed a fact. 

Sehun was a few feet away, eyes on Luhan. And seeing as to how the elder looked scared, he reached out for him. Though they were currently mad at each other, Luhan happily took the hand reaching for him and was drifted away, leaving Kyungsoo alone and afraid.

“Kyungsoo-ah?”

A familiar voice spoke not to far from him, earning his attention. Kyungsoo blindly stared at the nearing figure, backing away as the latter came closer. It wasn’t long before arms were wrapped around the comfortable man.

“Manager Hyung? What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo asked. 

Their manager sheepishly grinned, ruffling the back of his hair. “I can’t have fun too?” He smirked. “And what are you doing here alone? Where are the rest”

Kyungsoo’s smile disappeared almost instantly, he took a long gulp before speaking with a timid voice. “They’re here, enjoying their time…”

“But what about you? Why are you alone?” Kyungsoo then said, hopping the subject onto the older man, not knowing whether to be embarrassed or shameful that his future band mates would leave him helpless like this.

Manager Hyung laughed out loud, eyes wrinkling near the corner.

“Oh, I’m not here alone. I was with a friend, but he got drunk and went off somewhere.” 

Their conversation didn’t get very far. Manager Hyung ended things quickly after taking a short notice of the time, eyes widening, probably missing an important obligation. He left after informing Kyungsoo that he needed to find his drunken friend. 

Kyungsoo faked a smile, not wanting to be left alone… again.

After being abandoned for the nth time, Kyungsoo’s mind began to haze from the lights beaming all across the room. His mind became foggy with dizziness, almost dismissing the feeling of someone yanking him away.

He let out a squeal of surprise, high on alert on the sudden intrusion. 

“Well looky here. I caught myself a good one today.” Someone singed in his ear, breath reeking of alcohol. The voice was not familiar in anyway, and this was his cue to escape. He twisted his arms pathetically, but the formation only tightened the man’s grip.

“L-let go of m-me.” Kyungsoo pitifully threatened, earning a smirk from the handsome stranger. It was ironic how a stranger this good-looking could cause these painful acts. But it was no time for Kyungsoo to be admiring the looks of the man. Instead, he gripped onto his blonde hair, tugging it hard.

The man yelped but kept a hold onto the weaker boy.

Kyungsoo knew there was no use in fighting.

He felt his body being dragged outside the building, and into the chill air. It was as if nobody had seen anything, either that or they simply didn’t care.

Tears swelled in his eyes, but he deemed himself not worthy enough to cry, even in a helpless situation like this.

A jolting pain hit his back as he was slammed against the brick building, the building in which consisted of ’s oblivious minds.

The blonde’s body inched closer until his breath was on his cheek. Kyungsoo sealed his eyes shut, not wanting to witness the act that was forced upon him. His lips thinned, feeling the cold breath of the stranger hovering it. 

Just as he expected an attack, the body was thrown back by an unknown force. Eyes opening at the odd action, Kyungsoo viewed the scene before him.

There, Jongin stood above the stranger who gurgled from the impact of the ground. Kyungsoo became a drained fish, speechless being the only word to describe his feelings to the scene displayed before him.

“Get the hell out of here.” Jongin warned, eyes filled with threat that Kyungsoo had never seen before.

The blonde stumbled in his steps as he stood up, obviously furious with the interruption. 

“Back off . I found him first!”

Jongin laid off the comment and stepped near Kyungsoo, reaching for him. But he didn’t get far when the stranger wrenched him afar.

Kyungsoo squirmed from his spot, wanting to tell Jongin to go away. But he knew his heart wouldn’t allow him to do such a thing. Whether it was because of Jongin’s defensive demeanor towards Kyungsoo, or the warmth fluttering inside of him, Kyungsoo didn’t voice it out to the younger.

Besides, even if he did it would have been too late.

Jongin already forced a punch on the jaw of the blonde’s, also landing a kick in the stomach. The man grunted over in pain, cursing under his breath.

He grabbed Kyungsoo’s slim fingers and ran, pulling Kyungsoo with him. The two didn’t look back, concentrating on getting away. 

Kyungsoo was shocked to protest or let go, the feeling of warmth and safety even bubbling inside of him. 

He felt protected, for the very first time in his life.