Chapter 19 - Ice Cream

Troublemaker

Dae Hyun POV:
“Yum,” she tells you, drooling as you both walk to the ice-cream parlour.
“Yummy, indeed.” you reply with an edge of sarcasm.
Just like a child, you think to yourself, shaking your head.
As you enter the ice-cream parlour, a voice greets Yuri.

“Yuri-ah!!!” yells a boy from the counter. Thick lips, curly brown hair, fair skin; Ahn Daniel.
“Annyeonghaseyo, Niel.” says Yuri, bowing to him politely.
He laughs, waving his hand in the air, gesturing for her to lose her formality. She smiles. You widen your eyes, suddenly alerted and intimidated by Niel. Only I can make her smile.
 

You hold your arm out, blocking Yuri’s way to the counter. This was one of your real personalities; selfishness. Yuri glares at you and Niel tilts his head, waiting for your order.
“I’m treating you,” you tell Yuri.
She nods and says what she wants. You pull out your wallet and she goes to take a seat.
“So,” says Niel, looking at you. “You like Yuri, don’t you?”
“Ani.” you say, not changing your expression.
“It’s obvious.” he replies, with a more serious tone in his voice.

You pull the money from your pocket, and silence fills the space between you two.
“Because I do too,” he admits, taking the money and clicking random buttons on the cash register.
He hands you back your change, and he smiles.
“But I know who she really likes,” he said with a bitter edge in his voice.

“So, what did he say to you?” asks Yuri as she takes the ice-cream cone from your hands.
She it happily and looks up at you. How cute.
“I would be surprised if he didn’t spit in my food,” you say with a playful smirk on your lips.
She giggles softly, and you feel pleased with yourself. You loved it when you made her laugh or smile. It made you feel like a better person altogether—that was how truly beautiful her laugh was. If only she would smile more.

Yuri POV:
As Niel finishes his shift, he flops onto the empty chair next to you. Dae Hyun sits up, as if alerted by something.
“So, Minwoo’s graduation is in a few days,” states Niel, unaware of how scary his words were to you.
You immediately face the ground in mention of Minwoo’s name.
“I knew you shouldn’t have dated him.” he says again. He’s pushing it.

“I need to use the restroom,” you say, getting up from your chair.
As you rush to the bathroom, you bump into a kid, who drops his ice-cream.
For one second his eyes shifts between your eyes, and his splattered ice-cream on the ground. He turns to his mother, hugging her legs, bursting out in tears.
“Aish, jinjja, how annoying.” complains the mother with crossed arms, not reaching out to hug her child.

Dae Hyun and Niel rise from their seats, but before they can come to you, you bend down to be in the same eye level as the crying child.
“Annyeong~” you say in a cheerful and cute voice, waving at him.
The kid stops crying, turns around and looks at you. You look up at the annoyed mother, despising her. How could she let her child cry like that?
“A-Annyeong...” stutters the child in between his sobs.

You start singing a little verse from a song that your mother sung to you. Before she promised you ice-cream. Before she left you.

“With my mum, I hold her hand,
across the sea, and onto land,
Ice-cream, ice-cream, is what I say,
underneath the hot, sunny day.” you sing to him.

He smiles, and laughs when you poke his tummy. You buy another ice-cream cone for him, and give it to him with a warm smile.

This was the real you; the clumsy one, the silly one, the cheerful one, the one that hates, the one that sings, the one that loves. And you let them all see who you were. Dae Hyun and Niel stop in their tracks, both smiling warmly at you. You continue to the bathroom as you hear the humming child skip away, holding the hand of her smiling mother.