Friend Behind Bars

7th Generation

  As Kevin was looking through the files he received, suddenly his elbow accidentally pushed and knocked down a picture frame near him and broke into pieces. He quickly picked up the picture of him and a boy beside of him, smiling happily, believing that they would achieve what they have dreamt of. Kevin put it back to it's original place even though it was half broken. Then, something came up to his mind and went out of the room.

  He then went to the basement level where the cellars are. Hundreds of cellars were there and thousands of prisoners or maybe slaves were locked up here. The scent of damp, cold, sweat could be smelled around. 

  As Kevin continued his way, he passed through the corridors full of cellars. Some of the prisoners in the cellars were yeling as if they were drunked or maybe mental problems, some of the prisoners were screaming for help and some were just sitting quietly, waiting what fate will they have to face. Kevin continued without looking at the filthy prisoners.

 Finally, he made it to his destination at the end of the corridor, which was cellar 5312. He unlocked the door with the key that he got from the General. As he opened, he saw his best friend sleeping peacefully even though the place was not quite suitable as a 'peaceful place' to be. Kevin sat at the edge of the bed and woke up the bundle. 

"Wake up, Gikwang" Kevin said. Gikwang started to move a bit then he went back to sleep. 

"Yah! Wake up, lazy bump!" Kevin voice almost made an echoe around the room. Then, Gikwang slowly opened his eyes. 

"Who is it?" 

"Your mom, who do you think it is?" Kevin said. Gikwang slowly got up from his deep sleep.

"Oh it's you, long time no see" Gikwang yawned. Then, Kevin tooked out a croissant bread from his jacket.

"Here, you're going to starve to death" Kevin handed the bread to Gikwang.  

"Thanks, I was going to though" Gikwang quickly at the bread since he hasn't eat for a while.

"So how're you feeling?" Kevin asked. 

"Pretty much dead, isn't it obvious?" Gikwang said with his mouth full. Kevin was quite surprised of what Gikwang just said.

"Sorry I didn't came visit you for a while, I was quite busy" Kevin sighed.

"Ah, that's okay, I'm pretty much alright being alone in this cellar, I can hear music outside" Gikwang said, wiping his mouth. All Kevin can hear from outside is screams from the other prisoners. There was silent occured for a moment.

"You do know why I'm doing this, right?" Kevin said. 

"Do what?" Gikwang confused. 

"Being the watchdog to the General" Kevin said. 

"Oh...what's wrong with that?"

"Am I doing the right thing?" 

"What do you mean?"

"The killing, slaughtering, capturing and cruelty, am I doing things right?" Kevin's fists began to curl up tightly. Gikwang only started at Kevin's doings.

"You did it for me, didn't you?" Gikwang said. Kevin turned to Gikwang.

"You did it for me so that I could be free in exchange, be the General's watchdog" Gikwang lay down on the bed.

"I'm such an idiot!" Kevin suddenly bursted.

"..."

"Only an idiot would make such a stupid deal!"

"What are you saying?" 

"..."

"You did it for a friend, I'm thankful" Gikwang gave a smile. Kevin just silent.

"This isn't about who's idiot and who's not, Kevin, but the killing stuff would not be such a good thing to do" Gikwang said.

"Should I quit?" Kevin said.

"Idiot! The General will come and find you" Gikwang said.

"What should I do then?" Kevin asked.

"Just be his watchdog for a little longer until the right time to quit" Gikwang suggested. Kevin just silent.

"But I want you to quit though" Gikwang said. Kevin turned at Gikwang.

"This is going no where, let's just get out of here and just do what we want to do like we were kids" Gikwang said. Before Kevin could say anything, his alarm belt went lit, means that he's got to leave for a mission. 

"I got to go" Kevin said.

"Just go, the General doesn't like to be waited" Gikwang said.

Kevin quickly locked back Gikwang's cellar and went to the General's room.