Impossible

A Reflection She wished for

A silence fell onto the hallway they were standing in as the woman informed the news. It had gone for over a time until the muting of sounds turned suffocating, but still neither party spoke. They were both astounded as to how a small mistake could lead to such a big problem, especially Jieun. Her already large eyes grew until she was sure they were going to pop out. 

 

What kind of mahogany is this?

 

"I deeply apologize for this to have happened. We will proceed to move her into another room immediately".  The woman gestured Nara to a chair and quickly entered the room on her left. The sign read above:

 

“HEADMASTER’S OFFICE”.

 

The tension eased as it went with the woman and Jieun slowly rubbed her temples. She knew it was her father that had caused such trouble, but was glad for Nara to have thought of her feelings.

 

“Nara, this is going to be sorted out, isn’t it? I wouldn’t be able to bear sharing a roommate with a guy.”

 

“Of course, Jie. I’m sure they’ll organize it easily”. But in truth Nara wasn’t sure at all. The paperwork concerning a room for a student wasn’t at all easy, as she had once experienced being a secretary in another school. She’d just hope it wasn’t too late, after all, school would be opening in 2 days.

 

Just as she finished her sentence, the woman came rushing back out, with a small man slowly following. He had the features of a man way past his prime, but nonetheless the fire and will still alive in his eyes.

 

“Right this way, Mr. Lee.” The woman led the old man until he stood in front of Nara and Victoria. “This is Miss Kim Jieun, and here is her guardian, Miss…”

 

“Nara Jung” Nara replied quickly as she realized she had forgotten to introduce herself.

 

“Miss Nara Jung. And I introduce you to the Headmaster of Brominwood academy, Mr. Lee”. Both sides respectfully bowed to one another.

 

“What seems to be the problem? I don’t suppose you called me here for nothing.” Mr. Lee inquired.

 

The woman quickly explained the situation to her employer, a flush on her face. It wasn’t hard to guess she was going to be the blame for all of this, after all she was in charge of sorting out the room arrangements for the dorms.

 

“I see…” The headmaster sighed in weariness after he had been told the whole situation. This wasn’t good. Not good at all. How was he going to say this? The best case scenario would be those two would leave his school and tell everyone they knew how it has caused them such problems. He didn’t even want to think about the worst outcome.

 

“First of all, I deeply, deeply apologize for the trouble caused. I cannot, however, guarantee this is the end of it. Miss Nara, have you ever been in a position for a school before?”

 

Nara nodded respectfully, “Yes, I’ve had the experience of a secretary in a university 4 years ago, but not for long”.

 

“Then you can understand of the impossibility of this situation. You should very well understand it is basically not possible to undo the paperwork for Miss Kim, when school is opening in only a few days”.

 

It hit Nara like a brick. She knew it was coming. But she didn’t think it would be this hard. She hadn’t known it was going to be such a problem for Jieun.

 

“Yes… I do understand the level of difficulty. But surely-“

 

“Wait a minute, will someone explain to me what’s going on?” Jieun had kept silent for so long and tried to make sense of the words they were saying, only to no avail.

 

Nara looked at Jieun and sighed. She spoke reluctantly “Jie, I need you to understand. I know it’s going to be a huge shock, but…” She took a deep breath, “Jieun, It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to change your paperwork or room”.