Memories of the Past

A Reflection She wished for

FLASHBACK

 

“Daddy, daddy, where are you two going? What about me?”

“Shut up! Don’t follow us! We don’t want you”. Mr. Kim pushed Hyomin away with one hand, the other holding the 4 months old Jieun. He quickly got onto his car and locking the doors, drove away.

“Daddy?” the 5 year old child looked in confusion, her brain not figuring it out.

“Daddy, where are you going?” She began to run after the car, to no avail. It was already leaving her sight, “Daddy!!”

After a few seconds her undeveloped lungs gasped for air, and she collapsed on the ground, wheezing.

“Daddy… Vinnie….. Why are you leaving me here alone?” She stared at the ground, unable to do anything from tiredness. How was she going to walk home? The skies above were already turning cloudier and darker every second. She didn’t want to spend the night drenched in pouring rain.

Suddenly a hand appeared on her right. She screamed in shock, terrified to see what it was. Reluctantly and trembling, she turned her head to see a chuckling old lady.

“My my, what are you doing here? Come into my house, I’ll take care of you.” The old lady’s heart tore in two for the child. How could anyone have done this?

Hyomin took the lady’s hand, still trembling.

“I think I’ll call you Nara. Nice to meet you, Nara. My name is Hyimin Jung, and I’ll be your mother from now on.

~14 YEARS LATER~

Nara stood infront of Mr. Kim bowing in respect. “I saw the hiring poster. I would like to apply for that job.”

Mr. Kim looked at Nara with interest. She reminded him so much of her… He shook his head. Trash were not something to be thought about.

“Alright, let me think about it”.