Girlfriend

A Reflection She wished for

A blonde broke from the group and charged forwards, tackling Seungho into a hug. Seungho fell down with a grunt and the blonde on top of him.

Jieun’s eyes widened. Both of them were wrestling on the ground, with hysterical laughter coming from the other two. Seungho was trying to get up while his friend clutched him in a dead man’s grip. Then when he had had enough, Seungho performed some kind of martial art skills, flipping the blonde to the ground and rising up while his friend lay still on the ground.

 

Jieun gasped and wheeled herself until the blonde was beside her, full of concern. Did he hurt himself? What Seungho just did looked painful enough for a broken arm or leg, and the guy laying at her feet wasn’t moving.

 

“Are you oka-“Just then he jumped up and faced her. He had a wide grin on his face. “I tricked you, didn’t I?” He held out his hand, “Hi, I’m Yoseob, your boyfriend’s best friend”.

 

Both Seungho and Jieun gasped, turning a deep shade of red.

 

“Yoseob!” Seungho hissed at him, slapping his head. Now it was just going to get more awkward for the two of them, all thanks to his friend. “She’s my roommate, not my girlfriend!”

 

“Oh I see… So w-“ Yoseob stopped himself as his brain caught on. His eyes bulged out, the same with the other two. In unison, they gawked, “ROOMMATE!?”

 

“Yep. Can we just eat first? I’ll explain it to you guys later, when everyone isn’t looking”. And sure enough, all the pairs of eyes were directed at them. Yoseob rubbed his head and smiled sheepishly. They went to get their food and were soon sitting down around Seungho and Jieun.

 

A black haired boy introduced himself first. Holding out a hand to Jieun, he spoke, “I’m Junhyung”. Jieun smiled and took his hand, shaking it. “And I’m Jieun. Nice to meet you”. He nodded.

“I’m Joon. Hi Jieun~” The other black haired boy grinned and winked at Jieun, earning a smack from Seungho.

“And I’m Yoseob!” The blonde spoke, still excited.

 

Suengho looked at Jieun “Those are my friends. They’re all the same age as you, so I’m the oldest”. He smirked and Jieun’s heart jumped a beat. “Come on, let’s eat”.

 

They began eating and Jieun decided to ask the question that had been bugging her mind for a time. “Seungho, you know martial arts?” She had seen his muscles and grew curious when he used his strength to flip Yoseob to the ground.

“Yeah” He nodded, “My dad taught me”.

“I see...” Her curiosity satisfied, she continued eating her food.

 

Just then a realization hit Yoseob.  “Jieun, you don’t call him oppa?” His eyes sparkled as an idea formed in his head.

She shook her head as Joon caught onto Yoseob’s thoughts. He looked at him and their eyes met, both smirking. Junhyung understood the message that passed between the two of them and chuckled.

 

“But he’s older than you”. Joon spoke.

“And I’ll bet Seungho would want that to be called that too”. Yoseob put in mischievously.

 

Seungho faced palmed himself. When did those two learn to read his mind?

“But I don’t think it would-” Jieun started and before she could finish Yoseob interrupted with, “You should try it”.

The tips of her ears started to turn pink as she looked at her food, refusing to look at anyone.

 

“Come on-“ Yoseob urged but stopped dead when he turned to look at Seungho for a reaction. He was met with a glare that could burn through his head, and quickly looked down, knowing what Seungho would do to him if he continued. He shivered, stopping his attempt for Jieun to call Seungho ‘oppa’.

Seungho rolled his eyes and went back to eating, the same with Jieun who still couldn’t look up from embarrassment.

 

Junhyung spoke, “So why are you guys roommates? Wasn’t there enough rooms for girls? Jieun could’ve joined another room and gotten another bed. After all we three are sleeping in the same room”.

“My details were mixed up, and they couldn’t fix it”.

“But you could’ve gone to another school, or even homeschool”.

“It’s a long story”. Jieun didn’t want to explain how her father had been the one to refuse her request.

 

Junhyung raised his eyebrow. She clearly didn’t want to talk about, so it must be something bad to have made her become roommates with a guy. “Alright”.

 

“Jieunie, can I ask you something?”Joon spoke and Seungho perked up. Jieunie?

Jieun knew what was coming. She nodded.

“Why are you in a wheelchair? Were you in some kind of accident?”

She shook her head and spoke softly, “I’ve been like this since I was born”.

 

“Wait a minute. Jieunie?” Seungho looked at Joon.

“Why? Are you jealous?” He grinned cheekily at Seungho, who quickly shook his head. “Whatever…”

 

They soon finished lunch and rose up from their seats, about to go when Junhyung asked, “Where are you guys going now?”

 

Seungho looked at Jieun. “Do you want to go around the school?”

“If that’s okay with you”. She hoped she wasn’t troubling him and taking away his free time before school started.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t it be?” He looked surprised and led her out of the Dining hall, along with Yoseob, Joon and Junhyung.

 

 

------

 

 

They were walking along the concrete path that would take them from the Dining hall to the main building where the students had their classes, when they heard a shout from above.

 

"Joon oppa!"

As all four of them looked up, they saw a girl with red hair poking her head out from a window. She was waving excitedly and calling Joon’s name.

 

“Minnie!” He shouted back and waved with the same amount of energy. He turned back to Jieun and announced proudly, “Meet my girlfriend, Min Xiang”.