Kim Jieun

A Reflection She wished for

As Jieun stepped down from her car and sat herself down on the wheelchair prepared, she was met with whispers and turnings of heads. It was as if the whole school had seen her. Silently, she endured the eyes as her maid gathered her luggage from the car. As soon as she was done, Jieun was wheeled into the school building.

While her maid slowly wheeled her through the building, Jieun let out a weary sigh she had kept upon arriving.

Nara, her maid, noticed and a worried frown came upon her face.

"What's wrong?"

"Nara, don’t tell me you haven't noticed! Haven't you seen the way everyone was staring? I might not be able to walk, but it does not in any way affect my sight."

"They'll get used to it, Jieun. But you should see it from their point of view. After all, you would be staring too if, for example, a blind girl came to your school."

Jieun sighed once again, "I know, I know, but at least they could've tried not to make it so obvious. I felt like a black crow in a swan's gathering."

Nara murmured understandingly. She had been with Jieun so much, and she knew of the pains Jieun had to go through. It wasn’t actually very suitable for Nara to be called a maid. She was more like a sister, and the only person Jieun trusted, even more than her parents. There had been an unbreakable bond between them as soon as they’d met. But it would be easy for anyone to gain Jieun's trust over her parent's because they never treated her as anything more than a leech, eager to finally send her away, and that was why she was sent to this boarding school.

Finally Nara turned a corner and stopped in front of a desk with a lady in her mid-thirties sitting behind it.

“Hello! My name is Mien Song. Are you here to apply for the school?” Mien Song smiled.

“No…. I’ve already applied. My name is Kim Jieun”, Jieun spoke, confused. Her father had already sent in her photo, so she should’ve been recognized.

“May we have her room number?” Nara asked politely.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Please wait a moment.” The woman’s fingers entered in Jieun’s name into the computer on the desk. After a few seconds, she spoke again. “Yes… His room number is 65. Your roommate-“

All three of them froze.

He?

“I’m very sorry. It seems there is a mistake regarding the gender.” The woman looked up in dread. There was no doubt her pay was going to be cut for a few months.

“But I thought we had already sent in a photo?” Nara asked in confusion.

“No. There were no photos received from the email you registered as, and the gender was marked as a male. I suppose it didn’t go through careful checking.”

“But why…” Nara figured out the answer quickly. It was hard to not expect these results when Jieun’s father had been the one to organize her information. He had never been one to care much for his daughter. “Well I suppose this can be undone. Would you please show us to her room?”

“Yes… That-“ The woman stopped her words once again, eyes widening to saucer pans as she read the room details.

“What’s the problem?” Nara hoped it wasn’t another mistake cause by Jieun’s father.

“Well… You see, Miss Kim’s information was sent in as a boy. And...”

“Yes?”

“Regarding that, her roommate has turned out to be a boy”.