Eight.

Because of You

 

Chorong was busy clearing away and washing the dirty plates from dinner that night. Only a couple more, and then she would be done for the day.

It had been kind of a long and overwhelming day, to be honest. Aside from her usual physical job, she was mentally and emotionally drained out too. She had finally gotten the chance to see Woohyun’s soon to be fiancée with her own two eyes and she’s got to admit, Hyuna and her were in totally different league.

How can she compete with that kind of beauty?

Too absorbed in her own thoughts and unaware of the presence behind her, Chorong jumped back startled when she heard a soft coughing sound interrupting her silence.

She whirled around in surprise and came face to face with Woohyun and Jihyun’s elder cousin, Doo Joon.

“Oh! D-did you need something?” She didn’t know why she was stuttering in front of him. Perhaps it was because her heart was still racing from the shock, but her two cheeks were reddening unconsciously.

“Well, not really,” he replied nonchalantly, giving her a lopsided grin. “But you’re kind of in my way of getting myself an empty glass.”

Chorong immediately stepped away from the sink to let Doo Joon’s hand reach over for one of the clean cups. She tried to avert her eyes away from his gaze, wanting to avoid any kind of conversation with the intimidating guy. His piercing stare was making her obviously nervous; as though he was probing right into her soul.

“Aren’t you going to sleep yet?” he asked her casually as he opened the refrigerator door and took out a new pack of milk and poured himself a glass.

“I...I am. As soon as I’m done here,” she replied, tucking her hair behind her ear as her other hand scrambled to find something, anything to distract her. She was feeling somewhat uncomfortable being in the same room with Doo Joon, not to mention they were only standing about 5 feet away from each other.

She heaved a huge sigh of relief as he started to make his way out of the kitchen without saying anything else.

But her happiness was short-lived when he suddenly stopped in his tracks and turned around to face her again.

“Can I ask you something?”

Where was this conversation heading to?

“...what is it?”

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully and paused for a moment while studying her face carefully, as if contemplating with whatever he was going to say. Chorong fiddled with the hem of her apron, unable to meet his gaze.

“I know this is probably none of my business...but is there something going on between you and Woohyun?”

 

I know what’s going on Woohyun, and I understand how you feel. Trust me. But Mum and Dad don’t, and if you really love her, let her go. You know how determined Mum can get at times...

His sister’s words from their earlier conversation kept playing his mind, like a reminder he was somehow in a forbidden love.

What was so wrong about loving Chorong? What makes her any less special than the other girls out there?

In fact, she’s even more special than them.

There’s no one that could even compete with her.

He trudged over towards the dimly-lilted kitchen with a heavy heart. She works too hard in his opinion. A young girl like her shouldn’t be wasting her time and chance away being a servant to someone else.

Let her go...

He didn’t know if he would be able to do that. Although he knows things will not get easier for them, he wants to overcome the hurdles together with her, not being separated away from each other.

When he was about a few steps away from the kitchen doorway, he heard low voices talking from the other side. Woohyun crept closer quietly, trying to avoid making any noise in order to be able to eavesdrop.

“...no. Nothing is going on. Why did you ask?”

“I’m not sure. Woohyun was acting kind of suspicious just now during dinner. And I can tell that Jihyun knows something that I don’t. I guess I’m just curious.”

He was pretty sure that voice belonged to Doo Joon.

Woohyun waited patiently for Chorong’s answer, which was a little bit too long to him.

“There’s nothing going on between me and young master, Doo Joon-ssi,”she finally answered in a firm tone, her voice slightly louder than earlier. “I’m just a helper in this house and I only want to do my job well.”

Somehow, he had anticipated her reply; but he couldn’t help feeling a tad of disappointment at Chorong’s declaration. Perhaps a part of him wanted her to acknowledge their relationship even though he knew neither of them could do that right at the moment.

He just didn’t want Doo Joon to have this idea of Chorong being available to be courted.

Hyung.”

Both of them looked up at the same time at the sound of his voice. He saw Chorong’s eyes widening slightly but she recovered quickly before Doo Joon could sense what was happening.

“Oh, Woohyun-ah. What are you doing here? I thought you were already asleep.”

“I was feeling thirsty so I decided to come down for a drink,” he replied coolly, shooting Doo Joon a casual look. “Having trouble sleeping hyung? That’s why you came here for a chat with Chorong?”

The mentioned girl was smart enough to realise the sudden tension which had grown in the spacious kitchen. She took off her apron and carefully placed it inside one of the beige cabinets.

“I...I’ll head to bed now. Goodnight young master, and you too Doo Joon-ssi.”

Chorong made herself scarce before either man could say a word of protest. Woohyun watched her retreating figure disappearing from the back before he turned to face his older cousin once again.

“What was that about Woohyun?”

“I don’t know what you’re trying to do hyung, but let me tell you something. Just...stay away from Chorong okay? Do not ask her any questions...do not even talk to her. Just, let it be.”

Doo Joon raised an eyebrow up curiously at him.

“You two are together.” He hadn’t said it in a question form, but more of a statement. And Woohyun was not in the mood to deny the truth any longer. Especially not to Doo Joon. They had practically grown up together. Woohyun looks up to him as a role model and he wasn’t used to keeping secrets from Doo Joon.

“Just keep it to yourself for now hyung. My parents aren’t exactly overjoyed by this,” Woohyun said seriously.

“Does Jihyun know?”

Woohyun nodded his head.

“Ah, I knew it. You two are still the sneakiest pair of siblings ever.”

Woohyun chuckled quietly before his expression turned serious once again.

“You have to promise me you won’t tell anyone about this.”

Doo Joon wasn’t sure how he was supposed to react to this surprising news. Even though he did suspect it, he had been hoping that his suspicions were wrong.

Now that Woohyun had admitted it himself, what was he supposed to do about his growing crush for the petite and beautiful Chorong?

“I promise.”

 

A/N Check out my second PinkFinite story, featuring Hoya & Eunji - Vulnerable :)