05.

Because of You

 

She took her son’s hand and led him to the spacious living room, where her husband was waiting patiently for both of them.

Umma, what is this about? Can’t this wait until later?” Woohyun asked lazily. Not to mention, he was kind of tired. He had just managed to sneak into the house together with Chorong, avoiding his parents’ curious stares successfully. He was unsure about Mrs Kim though. She could’ve seen them but still...

“No, sit here,” his mother told him as she pushed him down onto the sofa situated on the opposite side of where his parents were sitting down. “We have something important to tell you.”

Woohyun propped one arm leisurely on the hand-rest and raised an eyebrow up curiously.

“What is it?”

He watched her as she glanced briefly at his father and the two of them exchanged knowing looks. The look that Woohyun absolutely hated. He squirmed uncomfortably in his seat. Suddenly, he didn’t feel like knowing what the conversation was about anymore.

His father sat up in his seat and cleared his throat loudly.

“Uh Woohyun, I think you and I both know that you’re not exactly getting younger as days passed by and...” he turned to face his wife again, as if asking for confirmation on how he should proceed. When she urged him on with a bright smile, Woohyun saw a small frown appearing on his father’s ageing face for a second, but just as quickly it disappeared. “...we have decided that now is the right time for you to get married.”

Woohyun’s eyes widened in surprise as he started to shake his head vigorously.

“No, what are you guys talking about? I’m not going to get married. That’s not going to happen.”

Yes, it is going to happen,” his mother said firmly, giving him a stern look in return. “You’re not getting out of this Woohyun. And don’t worry, we’ve already found the perfect bride for you.”

At that moment, a loud crashing sound came from behind them, causing all three of them to look up expectantly.

And right there and then, he felt like disappearing; hoping for the ground to open up and swallow him in. Seeing Chorong’s paled stricken-face staring back at him was really painful for him to watch. She must’ve heard the news. And she was definitely in a bizarre shock state right now.

“I...I’m sorry,” she apologised quickly when she finally found her voice back. She got down on her two knees and started to gather all the broken glasses together with her bare hands. “Mrs Kim instructed me to send these drinks to you and the tray just...slipped from my hands.”

His mother just stared at the pitiful girl with distaste. His father on the other hand looked uncertain, as though he was actually feeling sorry for Chorong.

Meanwhile Woohyun couldn’t hold it back any longer when he noticed that she had hurt herself while trying to pick up the shards of broken glasses. Blood was trickling down her right index finger but she carried on as though it wasn’t hurting her at all.

He started to crouch down beside her and reached out for a ruined mug but his mother’s loud, commanding voice stopping him from doing so.

“Get back up Woohyun. Let her clean up the mess by herself. Such a clumsy girl,” the elder woman glared at the girl in disgust. “Don’t you know how to do your work properly?”

Umma!” Woohyun lashed out unintentionally. “It was an accident. It wasn’t like she had done it on purpose.”

Mrs Nam narrowed her eyes sharply at her only son, taken aback by his sudden harsh tone.

“Are you actually shouting back at me Woohyun?”

He opened his mouth and was about to retort back something but Chorong got up on her two feet quickly as she balanced the tray carefully.

“I’m really sorry about this, Madam, Sir,” she bowed down respectfully at the two of them. “I promise that this won’t happen again.”

She excused herself and hurried out of the room before another word could be spoken. Woohyun watched her leave unhappily. The guilt was weighing down on his shoulders heavily.

“Your attitude was uncalled for, do you know that?”

He clenched his two fists tightly by the sides, trying to keep his cool.

“I’m sorry umma. But it’s true. Chorong didn’t...”

“I don’t care if it was intentional or not!” Mrs Nam’s eyes flashed angrily as she crossed her two arms together in front of her chest. “Don’t think I don’t know what’s going on between the two of you Woohyun. And I’m telling you...if you don’t anything to happen to her, you’ll go along with this marriage.”

“Honey, maybe we should...”                         

“No, you don’t get to back up your precious son this time round. My decision is final.”

Woohyun took a deep shaky breath. He was so overwhelmed with rage right now that he was tempted to punch anything in sight.

Umma...fine. I’ll go along with your plan. But don’t you dare lay a finger on Chorong. Leave her out of this.”

 

Her legs gave way underneath her and she collapsed to the floor with a betrayed, broken heart. The first tear was already sliding down her face, followed closely by the second one before she could stop herself from crying.

How could he do this to her? How could he...after all those things he had said to her earlier?

But the worst part was that she knew. She somehow knew that this was bound to happen but she still felt disappointed. She felt as if a part of her life had been ripped away from her cruelly when she heard those words coming out of his mouth.

Is this really the end for them?

 

A/N By the way guys, I've been seeing a lot of WooRong shippers on Tumblr & it makes me very happy xD