03.

Because of You

 

The party was all about glitz and glamour; somewhere Cho Rong definitely doesn’t fit in. She knows next to nothing about fashion but still there she was, being forced into the upper-class world.

It wasn’t like she had any other choice. God knows why the Nams’ love throwing unexpected parties at the very last second and still wanting it to be a success. As a result, their housemaids are the ones who have to pay the price – getting all the necessary things done in such a short amount of time.

She’s been working for them for about a year now and honestly, Cho Rong feels like quitting so bad. But still...for some reason, she held on.

She didn’t quite know what it was though.

“Cho Rong-ah, bring this to the table over there,” she heard Mrs Kim’s voice straining over the loud music. “The food’s going to run out soon.”

Neh, ahjumma.” Taking the large tray from the elder woman, Cho Rong carefully balanced it on her left palm while her other hand pushed open the huge kitchen door.

Almost immediately, her capability was tested as a young man, not much older than she was, danced his time away and nearly bumping into her from behind.

She let out a soft yelp unintentionally, causing the guest to whirl around in surprise.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” he apologised at once when he realised what he had almost done. His soft features and small eyes crinkled by the sides as he peered down at her. “Are you okay?”

She nodded her head and managed a small smile.

“It’s okay. It wasn’t your fault. Excuse me.” Quick to avoid any conversation, she ducked slightly under him and trudged over towards the long table before setting the dish carefully on it.

But the second she turn back around to head back towards the kitchen, a taller figure stood directly in front of her, blocking her way by every means.

She lifted up her head slowly and saw the guy who had almost knocked into her earlier, giving her an adorable eye-smile.

“What’s your name? I don’t think I’ve seen you around before, even when I come over to visit Woo Hyun. I’m Sung Gyu by the way.”

 

Woo Hyun was acting like he was enjoying the party, but truthfully – he really wanted it to end soon.

He was getting sick and tired of these unnecessary occasions. He simply doesn’t get it why his parents keep organising them.

But then, he has never been this pissed off for the past few years.

Well, not until recently anyway...

Not until he realises he has these feelings...

These complicated feelings for her...

And to see those male guests, his guy friends, eyeing her movement every time she emerges behind those kitchen doors...it was making him angry.

Or perhaps, jealous to be exact.

Yes. He was definitely jealous of the attention Cho Rong was getting from them. If looks could kill, every single one of them would be dead now.

Just when he thought things couldn’t get worst, something caught his eye from the other end of the room.

He narrowed his eyes in displeasure as he took in the scene before him. This is the last straw.

Slamming his glass down on the small table, Woo Hyun stood up from his seat abruptly and straightened down his white suit. Throwing an apologetic look at his other friends, he muttered a quick excuse me before making his way towards the long table.

“...I don’t think I’ve seen you around before...What’s your name?”

Woo Hyun couldn’t help but smirk.

He would’ve believed it if it was Ho Won asking, or Myung Soo even but Sung Gyu? Cho Rong must be really attractive to him that he’s willing to risk his usual poised self of not approaching girls first.

He tapped his friend gently on the shoulder.

Sung Gyu turned around irritably, obviously annoyed that someone had ruined his moment.

“What?” he asked sharply.

“You’re interfering with her work,” Woo Hyun answered calmly, tilting his head slightly towards Cho Rong who was watching both of them uneasily.

“I’m not doing anything,” Sung Gyu insisted. “I’m just trying to strike up a conversation. Is that wrong?”

Woo Hyun tapped his foot lightly against the polished floor.

“If she has trouble getting her work done, I’m putting the blame on you.”

To his surprise, Sung Gyu let out a soft chuckle.

“Is that coming from her boss or from a possibly jealous man?”

Woo Hyun inhaled sharply while Cho Rong averted her eyes away quickly. Damn this guy. He thought he had been smart enough about covering up his feelings. Was he really that transparent?

“You’re being absurd Gyu,” he finally said, clearing his throat uncomfortably before shifting his eyes over to Cho Rong’s petite self.

“You can go back inside now,” he told her, trying to keep his voice stable, but was obviously having a hard time as Sung Gyu laughed even harder than before.

Cho Rong just hangs her head down low and fixed her gaze on the floor while excusing herself from the crowd. His eyes followed her attentively, right until her figure disappeared behind the doors.

“You can stop looking now, she’s gone.”

Woo Hyun shook his head in disbelief. He has to really get a grip on himself. He couldn’t let his feelings be known to anyone else.

Not even Cho Rong.

Especially not her.

 

I'm so sorry for not updating this story in such a long time guys :/