Chapter Ten

Because of You

 

The two of them went home that day with happy, elated smiles on their faces. Woohyun was even holding onto her hand right up until the doorstep, where he lets go unwillingly.

But just as Chorong was just about to sneak in through the back door, the front main doors were flung open suddenly, startling both of them.

She froze in her tracks, as she heard something being thrown out with a loud thud.

Eomma!” she heard Woohyun raising his voice in disbelief. “What is this?”

Chorong slowly turned around, with a sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach. Her heart sank when she saw the familiar navy blue luggage.

Mrs Nam ignored her son’s question, and instead looked at her through glaring eyes.

“You’re fired. Now, take your belongings and get out of here!”

Chorong dropped to her knees instinctively. Tears were already b in her eyes as she pleaded, “Please Madam. If I had done anything wrong, I’m really sorry. I promise I won’t do it again but please – “

Without any form of sympathy, Mrs Nam shoved the poor girl away roughly. “Go away, you piece of bas – “

Eomma!” Woohyun barked, silencing the woman for a moment. “Stop it. You have no right to do this and – “

“And what, Woohyun?” she yelled, challenging her son to defy her further. “I’m telling you right this instance, it’s either me or this poor, uneducated, shameful girl!” she spat.

Eomma, you cannot do this. You cannot force us apart like this – “

“Oh yes I can. Don’t test me, Woohyun. It’s not only your inheritance at stake; I will not even regard you as my son anymore!”

“Stop...” Chorong broke in through loud sobs. “Stop it. D-don’t fight because of me. I will go...I will leave now Madam..."

With a heavy heart, she gathered her belongings and got up on her two feet slowly.

Woohyun grabbed her wrist. “Wait, Chorong. Where are you going? You have nowhere to go.”

But she peeled his hand off her slowly and bowed down at the two of them for the last time. Because that was what she had been taught since she was small – never forget your manners no matter where you are, no matter who you’re with.

She brushed the tears away fiercely with the back of her hand as she trudged down the steps.

She heard Woohyun calling out her name endlessly, but Chorong just couldn’t bring herself to turn around and look at him for one more time.

 

 

Chorong sat by herself at the bus stop, as the heavy downpour continued to fall around her incessantly. The loud thunk sounds could be heard as the droplets hit the shelter – reminding her even more of the miserable state she was in.

She didn’t know where to go. She has no one to turn to. Mrs Kim was the closest friend she’s ever had; and now that she was already thrown out – even that had been taken away from her.

The sudden brightness of a car’s headlights surprised her, and Chorong shun away instantly. The black Volvo stopped right in front of her – and a second later, the driver came running out, covering his head only with his bare hands.

“Chorong-ssi,” he called out when he was about two steps away from her.

She turned back around and looked up curiously at the man who had just called her name.

“D-Doo Joon-ssi?”

He gave her a friendly smile. “Thought you might need a lift.”

Chorong knew better than to agree, even though she was desperate for help.

“I...I uh...no, it’s okay. I’m waiting for the bus actually.”

Doo Joon raised an eyebrow questioningly at her. “To where, may I ask?”

Chorong was stumped for an answer.

“A...friend’s house,” she replied carefully, avoiding eye-contact with him. But Doo Joon lowered his stance until he met her gaze, forcing her to look at her involuntarily.

“Don’t lie to me, Chorong-ssi,” he grinned. “I know everything.”

Chorong’s mouth hung open slightly. “W-what?”

Aish, okay why don’t you get into my car now and I’ll bring you to somewhere safe first?” At her hesitance, he waved his hands. “Don’t worry. I’m not going to kidnap you, Chorong-ssi. You can trust me.”

She was still silent.

“Jihyun sent me,” he tried again.

At this, Chorong’s eyebrows furrowed. Jihyun? As in, Woohyun’s sister?

“I know you expect me to say Woohyun, but with the current situation, I’m sure he’s held as a prisoner at the house now,” Doo Joon explained, trying to gain her trust. “Jihyun has your best interests at heart. I know a place where you can stay in for the time being.”

“I’ll even let you call her later. But now, let’s get inside the car first. The rain doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon.”

Chorong studied his face carefully.

He seemed genuine in helping her.