02.

Because of You

 

“Cho Rong-ah, young master has requested for you to take the day off today.”

The bright-eyed girl looked up at her senior in surprised. She waited for Mrs Kim to crack a smile or tell her that she was joking but the elder remained silent and wears a serious expression.

“Ah, really? But...why?”

Mrs Kim just shrugged in response.

“He says he already has something else for you to do. I’m just carrying out the message.”

Cho Rong stood up slowly, carefully straightening down her black and white maid’s uniform. She had been happily watering the flowers in the garden and now she was granted a day off? Just what was Woo Hyun up to?

“Oh okay. So I can go now?”

Neh. But you are to change into your normal clothes and meet young master by the back door in fifteen minutes time,” Mrs Kim informed her.

Cho Rong’s eyes widened in surprised.

 

“Where are you taking me?” she asked him worriedly, stealing glances over her shoulder every once in awhile.

A small smile crept up on his boyish handsome face.

“Just follow me.”

“But...won’t I get into trouble later? What if Madam finds out about this?” Cho Rong continues to fire questions at him while looking over her shoulder again.

Unintentionally, not watching where she was walking, she bumped hard into Woo Hyun who had stopped in his tracks in frustration.

“Oh! Sorry!” she yelped, stumbling back a few steps.

“Why would you get into trouble when you’re out with me?”

Immediately, her eyes fell to the ground and she could feel her cheeks reddening.

“It’s exactly why I’m afraid...” she muttered, not daring to face him.

“What did you say?” Woo Hyun demanded, bending down slightly so that he could meet her eyes but Cho Rong quickly look away and shook her head.

“Nothing.”

Then, taking her by surprise, Woo Hyun grabbed her wrist and started to pull her along. Too stunned to move, Cho Rong remained frozen on her spot.

“If you don’t want to get caught, then let’s get this over quick,” Woo Hyun urged her on, tugging at her hand once more.

And without another doubt, Cho Rong let herself being led away by her young master, not caring for once if Woo Hyun was actually planning on taking her far away from home.

She would gladly go with him.

 

“This is it?” Cho Rong wondered out loud, looking up at the shop’s name.

They were standing outside a jewellery store, with their hands still entwined together. And she had to admit, she like feeling his warmness against her.

“Yes, here we are,” Woo Hyun grinned at her and pulled her in. “Come on, I have to get a gift for somebody.”

Cho Rong felt her heart sank momentarily. For whom did he wanted to buy a jewellery for?

Woo Hyun dragged her towards the necklace section and plopped her down onto an empty stool before taking a seat beside her. His eyes started roaming around the beautiful collection he could choose from.

Cho Rong watched him intently with much curiosity.

So he had just forced her into coming along with him just so he could buy a necklace for another girl? She didn’t know why she was reacting this way, but she was definitely feeling sore about the whole thing.

She was heavily disappointed.

“Can you please choose one for me?” Woo Hyun nudged her by the side suddenly. “I don’t know which one she would prefer.”

Cho Rong’s shoulders started to sag as she glance around the gleaming silver necklaces arranged neatly in the display boxes.

“Why didn’t you bring her along then instead?” she asked bitterly, refusing to help him make a choice. “How would I know which one will be good for her? We all have different tastes.”

“You’re a girl,” Woo Hyun argued.” You should know better than me.”

Cho Rong can be pretty stubborn-headed when she wants to and right now, she simply refuses to comply with his wishes.

“Please?” he pleaded in an almost desperate voice that she couldn’t help feeling sorry for. “Just tell me which one would you like if it was you?”

Almost immediately, her attention turned towards a heart-shaped necklace which can be broken into two so that each partner could keep their respective part.

It was simply decorated but it was attractive enough for her eye.

“That,” she pointed out unknowingly.

The corner of Woo Hyun’s lips lifted up into a smile as he nodded in agreement.

“Good choice.”

 

That night, Cho Rong had just finished taking her bath and was about to turn off the lights before heading off to bed when she noticed a particular red box being left by someone on her dresser table.

She turned around hesitantly, half-expecting the person to linger around by the door and wait for her to open up the box but she saw no one.

Intrigued by the mysterious gift, she quickly click open the lock and a small gasp escape .

In it, lay the beautiful necklace she had picked out earlier while she was out with Woo Hyun; the exact same one she had helped him choose for his friend.

But what was it doing in her room?

A small note peeked out at her from underneath the necklace and Cho Rong peeled it open carefully.

 

Babo, how could you have forgotten your own birthday? Well, you may have but I didn’t. In fact, I’ve remembered your birthday ever since you started working here. Although this is my first gift for you, I hope it won’t be my last.

Wear it for me to see okay?

Oh and in case you’re wondering where the other half is, I’m sure you know who’s holding on to it.

Happy Birthday Park Cho Rong!

Sincerely,

Nam Woo Hyun.

 

Cho Rong’s heart swells up in happiness at his gracious gift and thoughtful note. He was right, she had totally forgotten about her own birthday; having used to not celebrating it every year.

But this year, this particular 20th birthday, Woo Hyun has made a significant difference for her.