Down with the rain

I Dare You to Love Me

The morning sunlight shines right into my bedroom. I rolled over the bed, feeling annoyed. I realized its morning already. I got up from the bed and check my phone, 08.48 AM. Not bad Hyerin.

I made my bed before I took a shower.

“Good morning sweetheart, I was about to wake you” my mom greeted me as soon as I went downstairs to the dining table.

“Morning mom” I replied and went to get the milk carton from the refrigerator. “Where’s dad?” I asked mom as I poured a glass of cold fresh milk for myself.

“Your dad has gone to the office early today, he said he had a guest today.” Mom handed me a plate of ham and scrambled egg. Yippee, american breakfast today.

“I see” I grab a loaf of bread from the cabinet and sit down to enjoy my breakfast.

“By the way...” Mom took a seat on my right hand as she poured herself a glass of apple juice. I raised a brow.

“I went to the market before you wake up, I met Baekhyhun’s mom on my way to the market today. She said she’s going to accompany her husband for a business trip to Busan.”

“Really? How long will they stay there? I thought Baekhyun said they’ll go for a family trip soon?” I arranged a ham and egg sandwich from my breakfast.

“Yeah, but they’ll only be gone for 3 days. Anyway she told me Baekhyun is having a fever.”

“Mwoh? Baekhyun? Fever? Really?”

“Yeah, apparently he got caught in the rain yesterday.” Erhm mom did you forget that your daughter here , too, got caught in the rain yesterday. Fortunately your daughter is still as strong as a bulldozer. I rolled my eyes. That babo.

“Hyerin-ah, why don’t you head over to the Byun’s house today?”

“What?? Why should I?”

“Tsk, you got nothing to do! Besides Baekhyun is sick, aren’t you worried?”

“He’s not a preschooler anymore mom, please. Baekbeom oppa will take care of him too.”

“But his parents won’t be home though, I promised Mrs.Byun I’ll look over to see if they need anything.” I mentally face palmed myself, sometimes I wonder who’s her child, Baekhyun or me.

“After you finish your breakfast, bring this over to Baekhyun’s house ok?” Mom pointed to a stack of Tupperware she had prepared on the kitchen counter. I haven’t even said yes!

--

After breakfast, mom really made me go to the Byun’s residence. Well ok fine I do have nothing to do today. Byun Baekhyun, you owe me one!

*ting tong* I pressed the bell, I texted Baekhyun earlier but he didn’t reply. I guess he’s still sleeping, huh?

Soon, someone opened the door. It was Baekbeom oppa, Baekhyun’s older brother.

“Oppa annyeong!” I smiled.

“Hyerin-ah! Annyeong! Come in” he greeted me happily.

“Auntie called that you’ll be coming over. Thank you, really.”

“My mom made this for you guys to eat oppa.”

“Omo she shouldn’t have. Say thanks to her for me ok? You can put this at the table.” I nodded and put everything on the table. Wow my mom packed a lot. There’s everything from side dishes to dessert.

“How’s Baekhyun doing?” I asked him after I put down everything

“Ah..he’s been sleeping in this morning after mom left. Thanks God you’re here” he smiled apologetically.

“Eh?Are you going out oppa?”

“Yeah, I have to meet my colleagues for a project we had. I’m really sorry, Hyerin-ah, but can you look after Baekhyun for me? I’ll try to be home soon. Call me if you need anything.” Baekbeom oppa is 6 years older than us, that’s why he’s already working now.

“Ok, don’t worry. I’ll take care of him.”

“If you want to drink anything or eat anything just take it by yourself ok? No need to be shy, this has been your house too. I owe you, Hyerin-ah ” I giggled, “I will oppa, don’t worry” after all I’ve been coming to their house for years. I send him off to the front gate and head back to the house.

Seriously, is everyone ganging up on me right now? I shook my head.

I went upstairs and head over to Baekhyun’s room. I’ve been to his room thousand times so I knocked once and open the door.

My eyes scanned the familiar room, the white walls, his closet on one side, a plaid shirt was hung in front of it. His studying desk facing the window where the curtains were only half opened. His books and CD albums lying on the desk, his school bag on the floor next to it, opened. And Byun Baekhyun still sleeping on his bed .

I went near him, he’s sleeping but looked troubled. His whole face is red. I feel his forehead with my hand, damn his fever is high. My heart sank, all of the unwillingness to take care of him disappears at the moment.

I pulled the chair to sit but I think I made too much noise, because Baekhyun opened his eyes when I turned. “Hey sleepyhead.” I said

He blinked a few times, he looked confused then he finally opened his mouth. “Hyerin? What are you doing here?” his voice came out hoarse, I gave him some water.

“I’m babysitting you today, babo” I smiled weakly.

“Where’s hyung?”

“Baekbeom oppa went to work just now. I know what you’re thinking. Yes, your mom told my mom and my mom told me you’re sick” I cut him before he says anything.

“How could you be sick from the rain yesterday? I’m fine though..”

“Maybe cause I took all the fever for you.” He chuckled, I smacked him. “Yah! Sick people right here.” He yelled.

“You’re still kidding me even though you’re sick? Wow” I folded my arms. He grinned annoyingly.

“It’s almost noon now, you haven’t had anything right?”

He looked like he’s thinking hard, “I think uhh..my mom gave me oatmeal this morning if I remember correctly.”

“Fine, you wait here, I’ll go get you something to eat.” I left him alone in his room and head to the kitchen downstairs.

I opened the rice cooker, thanked God there’s rice so I don’t have to make the rice. I checked the tupperwares my mom packed for him. Oh good, I found some sangyetang* (korean chicken soup with chicken broth, it has a light taste) I just need to heat this for a few minutes.

I brought his food upstairs 10 minutes later.

“Oh thanks, you don’t have to bring it here, you can call me downstairs.”

“Yeah right Baek, when you can’t even stand on your own.” I helped him up to sit on his bed.

“You made this in 10 minutes?” he took the spoon and tasted the soup.

“Of course not babo, my mom send some food for your because she knows your parents are away.” I sit and watch him eat.

After 5 spoons, he dropped the spoon back to the bowl.

“It’s really nice, thanks to auntie,I’m done” 

“After 5 spoons and you’re done???” I nagged at him

“What do you expect? I can’t taste anything, I don’t have any appetite.” He pouted.

“I knew you’d do this, come, I’ll feed you”

“No!”

“Open your mouth!”

“No!”

“Hurry up baek!” he was pouting but then he eat it obediently.

“You are surely one persistent girl.” He looked displeased while chewing his food.

“Well, I’m gonna make you finish this. It’s for your own good.” I fed him another scoop.

After a while the bowl was empty

“Good boy! See, it’s not so hard isn’t it?” I patted him and gave him some water. He managed to finish everything!

“If I’m throwing up, I’m blaming it on you” he lied down back to bed.

“Don’t even think about it” I threatened him, and hand him his medicine. I checked on his temperature...not good, still 38,5 °C

“How was it?” he asked

“Not good, still high. Go back to sleep” I took the bowls with me, “Hyerin-ah, you haven’t eaten right?” Baekhyun’s question stopped him from closing the door.

“Don’t worry about me, I’ll eat downstairs. Now sleep!” I insisted.

“Yes mom~” he cooed, but I heard it right before the door closes, “Thank you”

--

I had  a simple meal, rice, egg rolls and kimchi. Then, I washed the dishes and left them to dry.

I was watching TV downstairs and I heard footsteps coming down....it was Baekhyun.

“Yah, I thought I told you to sleep.”

“You took so long downstairs!”

“Well I don’t have to accompany you to bed, do I? Plus, I don’t want to disturb you. You need a lot of rest.”

“It’s so lonely in my room!” he whines and pouts like a 5 years old, “I wanna sleep here”

Omg what’s gotten into him..the fever must’ve gotten into his brain. “Fine” I replied, I brought him a blanket and a mini basin filled with ice water.

So, in the end, I put his pillow on my lap and he lied on the couch comfortably. I dipped a hand towel to the ice water and put it on his forehead. He cringed at the contact with the cold.

“Now sleep, Baek, your fever is not going down.” I’m kinda worried

“Aww, are you worried for me?” he look up to me

“Oh shut up, close your eyes” I tickled him and he was laughing.

After awhile, Baek dozed off to dreamland. I constantly change the towel to maintain it cool, I checked his temperature as well. It’s still high but it’s gone down, hallelujah!

He yelped in his sleep like a puppy, I patted his back and he calmed down,aww so cute.

Yikes!Looks like my brain has gotten the fever from him..slowly my eyelids are dropping. I fell asleep.

---

***Baekhyun’s POV***

It was already dark when I was awaken. I looked at the clock and it shows it’s 7PM in the evening.

I took the cloth off my forehead, I think the fever has gotten a lot better. I look over to the side, Hyerin was sleeping. She must’ve  been tired until she fell asleep like this, and her legs must be numb.

A smile formed on my face.

Something inside of me, forced me forward and I pecked her cheek, ‘Thank you, Hyerin-ah’

I was tucking the blanket around her when my brother gets home.

“Hey You’reb—“ I motioned him to keep quiet. “She’s asleep” I smiled at her.

 

==========================================================================================================================

This is a little 'filler' chapter, no competition intended in this chapter because dear Baekhyun is sick. We need a break, don't we?

I wanted to insert a little fluff and sweetness in this chapter. competition will be back on the next one :) hope you enjoy this chapter!

EXO'S COMING BACK YEAY *growl*