It's too bitter

Lie to Me

Once you reached the cafeteria, you searched for an empty table. To your dismay every one of them was full. It was lunch hour, after all. Suddenly in the corner of your eye you saw a waving hand. Turning your head, you met eyes with Kim Hyun Joong. Smiling awkwardly, you quickly turned away, pretending to not have noticed him. Realizing that it was extremely rude considering he gave you the job even though you hadn’t deserved it, you sighed inwardly, turning your intention back to him.

You offered a small smile, just as Suho caught up with you. He took a glance at who you had smiled at, and his eyes narrowed to little slits.

That Kim Hyun Joong. Already pulling a move on her? Well, two can play at that game.

 Taking a few steps towards Hyun Joong’s table, you felt a warm hand reach out and grab yours. Your eyes shot open and you looked over to see Suho’s hand in yours. It was strong and rough, and you couldn’t help but like the feeling.

Snapping back to reality, you tore your hand from his and practically sprinted to the table. Suho made a face but followed anyway, ignoring Kim Hyun Joong’s snickers. As you took a seat next to him, you thought about all of the harassment that you had already received after working here for only a few hours. You were too shy to stand up for yourself, and you needed this job. For now, the only thing you could do was ignore it.

You abruptly stood up.

“How do you guys like your coffee? It’s on me.” You stuttered, looking at them expectantly.

They looked at each other, than at you.

“Jane, we can buy our own coffee.” Hyun Joong replied.

“Yeah, we are millionaires after all.” Suho chuckled, puffing the collar of his suit. Hyun Joong rolled his eyes.

“No- I insist. Just take it as my thank you. I am really thankful for this job. Without it I…” You stopped and thought about your situation back home. It wasn’t good, so you were going to work your hardest here, no matter what it took.

“Well anyways- I’ll just go buy two cups. You guys can put what you want in it.” You smiled, and walked to the coffee stand.

Suho and Hyun Joong gave each other a meaningful look.

“Do you think she’s having a hard time? Maybe that’s why she’s been trying to find a job so desperately.” Hyun Joong mentioned thoughtfully.

“What do you mean? She’s been applying for a lot of jobs?” Suho asked.

“Oh yeah. Her resume is full. She’s worked almost anywhere and everywhere. I wonder why she could never hold down a job?” He added.

“Here’s your coffee.” You suddenly appeared from behind, setting the coffee down in front of them.

Suho pursed his lips. I hope she didn’t hear us talking about her. If she did, she sure can put on an act.

You smiled happily, staring at the coffee.

Why is she so happy? Isn’t she having a hard time at home? Hyun Joong thought.

Don’t worry, Jane. You won’t have to worry any longer. Suho and Hyun Joong thought at the same time.

“Aren’t you guys going to drink it? It wasn’t that cheap.” You gurgled, remembering the price of each cup.

“Oh- Yes! Of course!” They both replied at once.

They grabbed their coffee and basically chugged it, despite it burning their throats and tongues. The bitterness made them scowl, but they had guzzled it because Jane had used her own money for it.

“Wow. No sugar? You guys must be real men.” Jane admired quietly. Both ‘men’ puffed out their chests, smiling happily at the comment.

“Jane, why didn’t you buy one?” Suho asked.

“Oh, I’m not really a fan of coffee. I couldn’t really ever get used to the taste, even if I added sugar. But that’s ok.” You shrugged.

How cute. They both thought in union.

Standing up at once, they both declared, “Let me take you out to lunch, then!”

You looked back and forth between them.

Who should I say yes too? My boss, or the man who hired me?

They could see that you were having a hard time, and about to decline their offer.

“Well, why don’t we compromise and both take you out?” Hyun Joong suggested. Suho nodded eventually, and you thought for a second.

I don’t know about this. It smells fishy. Why do they suddenly want to take me, the lowly secretary, out to lunch? Not to mention I JUST got here!

You took a deep breath, and looked up to see their expecting faces.

“So? Will you come?” Suho prodded.

“Of course. You are both my bosses. How can I decline?” You gave in, grabbing your purse from the chair next to you.

“Great! Let’s go!” Hyun Joong said excitedly.