Interview

Lie to Me

Taking a deep breath, your friend Kate set a reassuring hand on your shoulder.

"Jane, just relax. You’re going to do fine. I have a good feeling about this one. I mean, you have been an intern here for a year now. Surely they will consider that when you are interviewing?" She asked skeptically.

"No, I haven't been working here exactly. Just at a different branch of this business. And I really hope they do take me seriously. My grades aren't that fantastic, after all." You said and your voice grew weaker.

Lately, you had been searching high and low for a job. Not a certain job in particular, but really anything that paid well. You did have a college degree, but you didn't necessarily pass your classes with flying colors. Because of your below- average grades, no matter where you interviewed, you were never hired for the job. Maybe it would turn out differently this time.

"Yah- don't be hard on yourself. Just be really confident. Or at least look like you're confident." Kate said with a nod.

You gave her a pathetic look and she practically shoved you through the main doors and into the building.

“Hwaiting!” She said loudly throwing a fist in the air.

You gave her a face but walked sulkily to the reception desk. As you looked around, your eyes bulged in amazement. This company was huge. By the looks of how fancy it was inside, this business was very successful.

Surely they won’t hire me. They are probably just going to hire a professional.

You thought back to the last interview you had done. There were many others sitting next to you, all wanting to acquire the same job as you. A group of managers sat in front of you, and would read through your resume with eagle eyes, trying to find the best person for the job. Afterwards they would ask many questions to different people. For some reason, you were almost never asked a question. The reason was most likely that you didn’t have the requirements for the job, or that your grades had been satisfactory.   

“Miss, is there something you need?” The receptionist asked, annoyed.  

“Oh, yes. I’m here for the job opening interview.”

She gave you a nasty look but then wrote something down on a small note.

“Second floor, room 123. Good luck.” She said handing it to you.

You took it gratefully and took timid steps until you reached the elevator. Pressing your finger to the number two, you waited as the door closed. The elevator doors began to shut but suddenly re-opened as a hand made it’s way into the doors before they closed.

The doors opened and before you stood an extremely handsome man. His face wore an annoyed expression, and his eyes were deep and attractive. His hair was light brown and styled to a point. His suite was black, crisp, and new, fitting his medium build well. As he walked into the elevator he smelled of expensive cologne, and mint.

From the smile he gave you, you figured that he was just another cocky guy with too much time and money on his hands. Rolling your eyes, you looked the other way. He casually reached over to press the button, and as he was doing so his hand brushed your arm slightly. You took a deep sigh, annoyed. The button hadn’t been anywhere close to you, yet he had to touch you.

You stood there, feeling extremely claustrophobic. Why? Because ever since you had stepped foot in this elevator this idiot didn’t pull his eyes away from you once. Growing more irritated by the second, you finally turned to him with a defiant glare.

“Is there something on my face? Something wrong with my clothes?” You asked with an angry tone.

“No, nothing at all.” He replied nonchalantly. Your arms suddenly got goosebumps. His voice was as smoothe as silk, and was so attractive that your heart immediately began to pound faster.

“Then WHY are you staring at me like that? It’s creeping me out!” You exclaimed, pushing the heat down so that it wouldn’t reach your cheeks.

He looked surprised.

“Usually girls like it when I do that.”

“Oh, is that so? Well if you don’t mind, I would really appreciate it if you would stare at something else other than me.” You heard a quite ding and then the elevator doors opened. Making a quick getaway, you darted onto the second floor and walked quickly down the hall without looking back.

I hope that if I do get this job, he isn’t in my department.

You began to walk faster when you spotted room 123. You quietly opened the door and sat down at one of the chairs that hadn’t been taken.

Five men sat at a table in front of you, and in the middle sat a young man that was pretty cute as well.

He began to speak. “We will begin the interview now.”

One of the five men began to ask a question to the man sitting next to you.

“What do you think great leadership is?”

“I think great leadership is leading by example without being arrogant, willing to learn humility, and caring for other as for yourself.”

For almost fifteen minutes the men continued to ask questions to the three people sitting next to you, but not a single question was brought your way.

The girl next to you began to answer as well.

“I think leadership qualities are honesty and a caring heart. To be honest, being a secretary wasn’t my dream. I think being a leader is more suitable for me than being a secretary…”

Suddenly one of the managers began to speak.

“Okay. This is the last question we have. Mr. Kim Jeong Chul, what do you think is the essential character of an assistant?”

“I think it is to be able to communicate well with your boss.”

Why are you not asking me anything?

You thought to yourself, and began to smile a bit annoyed. The way that they were ignoring you was extremely rude.

“Why am I not getting any questions?”

The cute guy in the middle looked up at you.

“Why isn’t anyone asking me anything?”

He looked at you sincerely as another man began to speak.

“Ah… since we are looking for a secretary, after looking at all the applications, Ms. Jane doesn’t really fit-“

“I don’t think that there were any prerequisites. All the people here didn’t major in this field either. It must be because of my grades and school? Yes, I graduated from a bad university with poor grades. But that wasn’t in the prerequisites. It wasn’t stated that only those from prestigious schools could come for the interview, right?”

A manager cleared his throat.

“I apologize for that. Let’s go ahead with the interview.”

“No. I know you are not going to pick me. So I’ll get something off my chest. Everyone here is sure to be very well off. And your time is very precious. But so is my time. Preparing my resume, preparing for the interview. I’m saying the time I spent for this interview is precious as well. To you all, I may look ridiculous and you might be looking down on me. But rather I find you all ridiculous. Anybody can be successful, or a failure. Some are smart and some are ignorant. One person is better at something, and another is more skilled at something else. Everyone has different saleable traits. To you people who only look at SAT scores and specifics, I think that rather, you are the ignorant ones. People like you who called me out, but don’t even treat me like a human… How could you possibly manage this big corporation? How will you be able to safeguard the people? I’m really worried about it. The future of Korea seems really bleak. Do you know?”

You lowered your head and stood up shakily.

“Thank you for the interview.”

You walked out of the room and exited quietly, your head hanging in shame and anger.