Meeting the Parents

Lie to Me

As the three of you made your way out of the cafeteria, you received threatening stares from many women as you passed by. You guessed it was because Suho and Hyun Joong were practically glued to you, it seemed. They both smiled happily, and argued over who would open the door for you. Eventually you just shoved them both out of the way and pushed the door open yourself.

“So Jane, is there anywhere you have in mind to eat?”

You pondered for a moment, not wanting either man to pay for an expensive lunch. Suddenly your eyes brightened.

Suho and Hyun Joong gave each other questioning looks. You hadn’t been excited about something like this since you had met.

“And may I ask what the restaurant is called?” Suho asked.

Out of your excitement, you hadn’t heard Suho and you continued on your way.

You walked to the curb as Suho and Hyun Joong called their cars that were parked to the side.

“No, let’s not take any cars. There is a great place down the street that’s within walking distance. It’s cheap too.” You said to them, and began walking down the street.

“I think you guys will like this place. It’s more of a café instead of a restaurant. It’s called the ‘Sweet Bean’. My parents own it!”

At first you had been a bit nervous about suggesting going to the Sweet Bean, but you were positive that your parents wouldn’t act too weird around your bosses. 

Suho and Hyun Joong’s eyes bulged.

This is my chance to win over her parents! I didn’t think going out to lunch would have been such a great opportunity!

Suho thought.

 

They followed behind, and immediately began to start asking questions.

“So, Jane, why do you have a foreigner’s name? Are you from America?” Suho asked suddenly.

“Yes, actually. I was born in America but we left soon after. Dad had a job offering here, so we decided to move back to where we had come from originally.”

They both nodded, deep in thought.

“So where are your parents from originally?” Hyung Joong asked.

 “My parents are originally from the Haeundae district in Busan. My father and his parents were fishermen.” You said, feeling awkward for already opening up to your employers.

Catching the bewildered look on your face, Hyun Joong slapped Suho’s arm, signaling to not ask anything else.

After a short walk, you had all arrived to the small café tucked in a small corner of Seoul.

“I’ve never been here before.” Suho stated.

“Me either, but it smells great.” Hyun Joong said. The delicious smell of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air and filled your lungs.

You smiled and walked in, grabbing a seat in a less-crowded area. Hyun Joong and Suho followed closely, taking in their surroundings.

Suddenly, an older woman spotted you and her eyes flew open wildly.

“Jane!” She exclaimed happily, running through the tables like a crazy person. You sighed, rolling your eyes. You had hoped that your father would serve your table. Now that your mother had seen two men with you, she would never let you live it down.

As she reached your table, you stood up to greet her. Hyun Joong and Suho did the same.

“Hi, mom. Let me introduce you to my TWO NEW EMPLOYERS.” You said ferociously, indicating that she shouldn’t say anything about you dating one of them.

She slowly nodded, understanding the situation.

“This is Kim Hyun Joong.” You said first, nodding to Hyun Joong.

“And this is Kim Jun Myeong. He is the CEO of my company. Hyun Joong, Suho, this is my mother.”

They both bowed and shook her hand gracefully.

“Oh my. CEO? You look quite young to be a CEO.” Your mother said, giggling. You glared at her, and raised your eyebrows. Instead of leaving, your mother continued to talk.

“Well, let me tell you boys something. You will be very lucky to have Jane working at your company. She is a hard worker, always preserving, and she never gives up or quits. Trust me, you should definitely hire her.” Your mother insisted.

“Mom, that’s great and all, but I’ve already been hired.” You commented quietly, embarrassed. 

“Oh, yes, well. Anyways, can I get you anything to drink?” She asked.

“I’ll just have some water, please.” Suho said, a smile on his face.

“The same for me as well.” Hyun Joong added.  

Your mother nodded happily, and as soon as she left, you all sat down at the table.

“She seems like a nice woman.” Suho said kindly.

“Yes, especially since she was trying to persuade us to hire you. She must care for you a lot.” Hyun Joong said.

“Yeah, well. She is pretty cool. She’s always been sweet, and very kind.” You said, trying to end the conversation about your mother quickly. You didn’t want to talk about your family with your two new bosses, otherwise they would soon find out about your financial situation, and that too would be equally embarrassing.

“Anyways, what would you guys like to eat?” You asked as your mother came back with three waters.

“I’m not very hungry today, so I’ll just have this sandwich.” Suho said, pointing to the sandwich on the menu.

Your mother nodded, writing the order down on a small pad of paper.

“I’ll have a blueberry muffin, please.” Hyun Joong said.

“And I’ll have the same.” You added.

“Alright, I’ll be back in just a second.” Your mother said, and marched back to the kitchen.

  ---------------