Luhan

Lie to Me

After a short walk back to the company, Suho and Hyung Joong left you after receiving an urgent business call from Suho’s father. Once you thanked them for accompanying you to lunch, you were now currently by yourself, and quite lost. The company was so huge, after all. You were lost in a maze of cubicles and hallways, inside a huge labyrinth of departments. It seemed like whenever you followed a sign that said, “CEO Kim Joonmyun’s office ahead”, you became even more lost.  

As you made your way down a hallway that overlooked many cubicles of hard working employees, you took a sharp right turn, trying to find your way back to Suho’s office. You entered an empty hallway that strangely smelled of antiseptic, similar to a doctor’s office.

“Aish. How am I ever going to get used to this?” You mumbled, taking another sharp turn. As you rounded a corner, you smashed into someone that had been walking in the same direction.

*OOMF*

“Aghh!” You both yelled, and you fell to the ground, watching his folders scatter everywhere. You winced as your knee scraped the ground, and skin broke.

The man had been walking with one of his friends, apparently, and he sheepishly helped him up, glaring at you the entire time. The young man that you had run into, on the other hand, was surprisingly nice about it. He softly lent you his hand, and taking it gratefully, you pulled yourself up.

The first thing you noticed about the two was that they were both extremely dashing. Even the one scowling at you was super hot. His hair was a fiery red, and he stood at a high 6’0’’. His eyes were cold, and he looked… dangerous. All you could think was that you were glad that you hadn’t run into him. He had a lean figure, and wore a light-grey suit that fit his stature perfectly. You wondered how he had obtained a job here, considering his hair color was so… un-professional. The same thing applied to the other gentleman.

His hair was a light blonde, but he stood at a shorter height of 5’8’’. The difference between the two was that the guy that had helped you up was almost like an angel. You had never seen anyone as beautiful as he was. You were almost jealous of his looks, wanting to take them as your own. He looked almost feminine, but was also very masculine at the same time. You noticed that his hands were strong and able as he pulled you up to face him. One looked like an angel, the other looked like the devil.

“What the hell is wrong with you? Watch where you’re going!” The angry -looking one yelled.

“I-I’m sorry… I was lost… I mean- I wasn’t paying attention! Please forgive me!” You bowed deeply, feeling guilty for knocking down the good-looking man. The blonde set a sturdy hand on the red-head’s shoulder before he could say anything else.

“Tao, its fine. I’ll take care of this.” He stated, and then faced you directly. “Are you alright, Miss? If I heard correctly, you said that you were lost? Is there anywhere I can point you to?” He asked kindly, slightly pushing his face towards yours in a questioning way. You were surprised by the gesture, and completely avoided eye-contact, not sure that you could take it. You already felt that your heart would explode from its repetitive beating. He was so close to you, and your face was practically on fire.

“Well, if you could point me in the direction of Kim Joon Myun’s office? I can’t seem to find it anywhere…” You asked quietly, your shoulders pushing in shyly.  He smirked, and straightened his back. “Why are you headed there?” He asked, amused at your shy stature.

“I’m his new secretary. I just got back from my lunch break, and after only being hired this morning, I lost my way…” You stated simply. His eyes widened, and he cast Tao a weird look.

“Is that so? Tao- I’ll meet you later. I’m going to take her back to Suho’s office.” He said, and you became surprised. He was addressing Suho informally, which meant he must know him?

Please don’t tell me I just crashed into a very important person!!!

Tao gave a curt nod, and strode down the hallway, leaving you and the man behind.

You were instantly relieved that he had left, but it didn’t change the fact that the other extremely hot guy was with you.

“Let me introduce myself. My name is Lu Han. I’m one of Suho’s close friends. And that was Tao.” He motioned, chuckling. “Sorry about him. He’s kind of a heated person most of the time. Just ignore it. But before we head to Suho’s office, why don’t we go and fix that?” He said, pointing to your scraped knee. It was currently dripping blood onto the perfectly clean, white ground.

“Aish! I’m sorry! How impolite of me!” You wailed, cupping your hand so that the blood would stop dripping onto the floor.

“Hey, don’t worry. It’s not your fault.” He suddenly dropped to his knees and pulled something out from his bag.

“It must hurt a lot.” He unconsciously winced, as if he was feeling the pain himself. You heard the crunch of a wrapper, and saw that he was opening a large bandage.

“You had a bandage with you?”

He seemed to think about his answer a little bit before replying.

“Yeah. A lot of my friends get hurt a lot.” He responded, shrugging.

He pressed the sticky-sides of the bandage down softly, and his hands lingered on your leg for a few seconds. He glanced at your small but beautiful figure, and couldn’t help but be happy about running into you.

Breaking out of his daze, he stood up once again, brushing off his clothing.

Damn. He is so attractive.

You wanted to say something funny like, “Thanks for the band-aid. I hurt my knee while I was falling- for you.”

But no, you didn’t have the guts. You laughed at the thought. Instead you said, “Thanks for the band-aid, Lu Han. I’m sorry for crashing into you.”

“No problem. I know that when anyone first starts working here, it can be a bit hard to navigate. But no worries- I’ll help you find your way.” Lu Han smiled dashingly, and you almost ran away screaming at how perfect he was. Yeah, sure he looked freaking gorgeous when he was just talking to you, but when he smiled? Damn. He looked 100 times better.

Smirking shyly, you nodded, and began to follow him as he led you down multiple hallways back to Suho’s office.

“Oh, I’m Jane, by the way. Jane Solis. It’s nice to meet you, as well.” You offered him your hand, and Lu Han smiled, shaking it politely.

“So, what made you want to become a secretary?” Lu Han asked, casting a glance down at your adorable face.

“Actually I was willing to take any position I could get. I was out of a job, and beggars can’t be choosers, right?” You shrugged.

“I guess so… Do you mean that you just really needed a job?” He asked, still not understanding why you wouldn’t pick a job that you loved, and were good at.

“Yeah. Right now I need any jobs that I can get my hands on, if you know what I mean. The economy isn’t that great, and paying rent is a totally different subject. It’s hard to live on your own when your jobs can only pay for food and some living costs.”

She said jobs twice. Does that mean she has more than one job? It can’t be healthy for a young girl like her to be working all the time. That doesn’t sound right. I better persuade Suho into giving her a raise so she can quit her other jobs.

“You live alone? Is that safe?” Lu Han pondered aloud, thinking that a small girl like you would never be able to defend herself against any attackers.

Your eyes widened. Surely you shouldn’t tell a stranger that you lived alone. But it was too late, you had already slipped. You couldn’t take it back now.

“Yes, I live alone. But it’s fine. I have a Doberman to protect me. He’s pretty fierce.” You said admirably, thinking about your dog back home. His name was Clyde. You had chosen his name from one of the most iconic love stories in history, Bonnie and Clyde, the American outlaws that were on the F.B.I’s most wanted list for things like murder, bank robbery, and other vicious crimes. Even though your apartment was small, Clyde fit well with the atmosphere, and he protected you, too. Overall, he was a fantastic companion.  

“Oh. That’s good.” I’m glad someone is watching over her.

“Oh, it’s looks like we’re here already. Time flies by when you’re having fun, right?” He laughed, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Ha. I guess so?” You laughed slightly, feeling self-conscious.

“Lu Han, what are you doing here?” Suho suddenly appeared from behind you both, and you were both equally startled.

You jumped slightly, pushing a hand over your heart.

“Omo. You scared me. Ah- actually I was just helping Jane find her way back to your office. When I found her, she was lost. How could you leave her on her own like that?” Lu Han pushed, not realizing how awkward you felt.

“No! That’s totally fine! He didn’t have to bring me back. As his secretary, I should find my own way back…” You said uncertainly, thinking that Suho would be angry at Lu Han’s frankness.

To your surprise, Suho shook his head. “You’re right, Lu Han. I should have. I’m sorry, Jane. Next time I’ll walk you back.”

Your mouth dropped open, but quickly closed again as you regained your composure. Suho was Lu Han’s employer! How could Lu Han address him in such a manner? Pushing away the thought, you glanced at Lu Han to see his reaction.

Thankfully, he looked just as surprised as you were.

“Hyung, I was just kidding. That’s your business. But still… she was all alone. Anything could happen~” He said in a singsong voice.

“But I’m so happy to have run into you like this, Jane. It was a great first meeting. Something similar to… fate, I’d say.” Lu Han said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Suho cut in, setting a hand on Lu Han’s shoulder. “Don’t mistake coincidence with fate, Lu Han.” He laughed slightly, and walked to the door.

“Why don’t we head in, Jane? We should probably get back to work.” Suho suggested, holding the door open for you.

“Oh, yes. Of course.” You turned to Lu Han, and gave him a grateful smile that lit up his heart.

“Again, thank you so much for helping me find my way, Lu Han. I hope to see you soon. It was nice meeting you!” You exclaimed, offering a small bow. 

Ten minutes later Lu Han had left, and you and Suho were catching up on work. He was currently showing you how to properly file things in the office, when suddenly Hyun Joong burst through the doors, hands waving widely in the air.

“SUHO! DID YOU SEE WHO WAS JUST IN THE BUILDING?” He screamed frantically.

Suho replied in an almost bored tone. “Yes, yes I did.”

“And… you’re not doing anything about it?” Hyung Joong replied questioningly, eyebrow rising.

There was a moment of silence before Suho replied.

“Oh course I am. I just haven’t decided what yet. Obviously, he had the audacity to come here without meeting with me first, so he must have been snooping around when thankfully Jane bumped into him, forcing him to end his prying.” Suho gave you a grateful glance, as well as Hyung Joong.

You smiled back uncertainly, not fully understanding who or what they were talking about.

“I’m sorry, what are we talking about?” You speculated, setting down the manila folder Suho had given you to sort.

“Nothing.” Suho sneered, glaring at Hyung Joong for bringing up the topic. “Nothing at all.” He ended with a smile, setting down the folders into the filing cabinet. He was obviously agitated at Hyung Joong for starting the conversation, but you didn’t know why.

I hate lying to her, but it’s for her own good. It will keep her safe. Suho thought, and dismissed the thought.

He had a lot to deal with right now, and had to set this aside, even if it was the bigger problem at hand.

……

You silently pried off your heels, practically throwing them to the side. This had been a tiresome day, and all you could currently think about was falling asleep on your nice, comfy bed. Sleep sounded so inviting right about now.

Breaking you out of your thoughts, Clyde smothered your face with a large kiss.

“Eeeww! Clyde! You know I don’t like it when you do that!” You wailed, patting his head after shoving him off gently. He whined sadly, not happy with the small amount of attention. You rolled your eyes and marched into the kitchen, quickly pouring yourself a cup of water, and gulped it down gratefully.

Suddenly there was a soft knock on the door. Clyde rang out into a fit of barks, jumping forwards and backwards. He wasn’t used to visitors, and neither were you.

“CLYDE! Hush! I thought we talked about this barking problem of yours! Didn’t the landlord tell us that she would only allow me to keep such a large dog if he didn’t bark loudly and bother the neighbors?” You shook your finger, reprimanding him. He shrunk back, and didn’t bark again, until you opened the door, that is.

Slowly looking through the peep-hole, to your surprise you found Luhan standing there, holding a box of something in his hand. He continually checked his watch, as if he was waiting for someone or something to happen. He was dressed rather nicely in casual wear. Your eyebrow rose suspiciously, and you had no idea why he had suddenly appeared at your apartment, or how he knew where you lived.

When you had met him before, he seemed friendly enough, and he also knew that Clyde lived here, so surely he wouldn’t try anything, right?

Cautiously, you opened the door, putting a friendly smile onto your face, even if you didn’t really feel it.

“Hi, Luhan. I wasn’t expecting you.” You said uncertainly, pushing your bangs behind your ear. Luhan smiled at the gesture, and shifted his weight.

“Oh, yes. I’m sorry about the sudden visit. I just thought-“ He lifted the box that he was holding. “-that we could have a snack together.” He tilted his head, and smiled genuinely.

You pondered this for a moment. Suho and Hyung Joong had been quite flustered when they found Luhan in the company, so shouldn’t you also be just as worried? What if he had underhanded intentions in meeting you? It couldn’t be coincidence that he had ‘run into you’ on your very first day of work, could it?

“Yes, of course we can. Please come in.” You finalized, opening the door for him. He nodded gratefully, and walked right in.

As soon as he did, Clyde once again burst into a fit of barks and low growls. He knew that Luhan was male, and he most likely worried for you. Luhan seemed a bit flustered, but did not move from where he stood.

“Clyde! This is our guest, stop barking!” You said firmly, and he immediately hushed, sitting down obediently.

“Sorry about him, I don’t think we’ve ever had a male visitor.” You stammered.

“He is quite friendly though, once you get to know him.”

“I’m sure he is.” Clyde continued to stare down Luhan, refusing to break his gaze.

“Please, come and sit down.”

……

SLAM!

Suho shut the doors to his mansion with a hard push, very angry about the day’s previous events. Seeing Luhan again definitely had not been his slice of pie, but he had tried to keep a straight face, not breaking his composure.

It had been almost three months since Luhan and his goons had shown up at the company, and Suho had hoped that they wouldn’t come back. Unfortunately, it seemed that there was something else Luhan had come for this time.

It was hard for Suho to lie to Jane, considering she was his new secretary, and she should be informed about the conflict between the two men, but he honestly did not want her to get pulled into the mess. He cared for her too greatly.

There was a reason for this, of course. Without a doubt, Suho had regongnized Jane immediately this morning when they had first met in the elevator. He hadn’t forgotten her in the slightest from that day in college when he had fallen for her. She was just as beautiful and kind as the day he had met her. She, on the other hand, had not remembered his face whatsoever, which brought a lingering worry back to Suho’s attention. His hunch had been true, she had not fallen in love with him that day.

Of course, Suho had known that this was a possibility, for it was a one in a million chance that she had also fallen for him at the same moment that day so many years ago. But there was always a small sense of hope that he still had. If she hadn’t at that time, Suho was sure that over time he could get Jane to love him back. After all, he was an extremely charming man. What couldn’t he do? With the power and money he had, he was sure that it would be easy enough to ensnare her heart.

Breaking out of his enduring thoughts of Jane, he began to sort out why Luhan would be showing up out of the blue like this.

……

You and Luhan sat at the kitchen table in silence, slowly munching on some pink macaroons that Luhan had purchased on his way over. It was getting a bit awkward, and since it didn’t look like he was going to say anything (he was spending too much time analyzing your apartment for some reason) you spoke up first.

“So, Luhan. I heard that you don’t work at Suho’s company. So… if you don’t mind me asking- why were you there today?” You asked skeptically. Obviously, Suho and Hyung Joon had been quite startled when they found Luhan wondering around the halls, and you thought that if you could find out the reason he had been lurking around, you could get on your bosses good side easier.

He thought for a moment, seeming to be thinking about his answer very carefully.

“I was just thinking about applying for a job.” He finally answered, taking another bite of his macaroon.

Bull crap. You weren’t that naive. You knew that he was hiding something.

Fine- you would have to take it to round two. 

“Oh, I see. Then may I ask how you know where I live?” You stated simply, chomping down on your cookie defiantly. He seemed a bit surprised, and he definitely wasn’t ready for this question.

He sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, putting on an ‘embarrassed’ façade.

“Well, to be honest, I followed you home. I really took a liking to you earlier today, so I thought that it would be fun to get to know each other better.” He replied, almost waiting for your approval and fall for the bait.

Another false statement. How could he follow you home after buying macaroons? There was no way he could have seen you leaving the company, run to a store to get macaroons, and then followed you home. He had to of known your address.

“Oh. I see. Although, you should have just asked me. We could have gone somewhere nicer than my apartment.” You said nonchalantly, and he let out a sigh of relief. Quickly regaining his composure, he brightened up.

“I have an idea! Why don’t we go and visit my workplace? I can introduce you to my friends. They would love to meet you.” Luhan said excitedly. You shrunk back, not sure that it was a good idea. It was getting late, and you barely even knew Luhan.

“I don’t know…”

“Pleasssee! It will be fun! I promise that they are all nice! Except for Tao, occasionally.”

You thought for a moment.

Maybe this wasn’t such a bad idea?

If you got a good look at where Luhan worked, maybe you could find out why he had been lurking around the company earlier.

“Fine. We can go- just let me grab a coat.” You stated, walking to your bedroom.

You heard Luhan cheer happily, and Clyde growl in response.

Quickly pulling out your cell phone, you sent Suho a quick text, just in case Luhan’s friends weren’t as friendly as Luhan claimed them to be.

To: Suho (The Boss)

I just wanted to let you know that I will be visiting Luhan’s workplace soon. I’m going to see if I can find any clues as to why he was at the company earlier.

From: Jane Solis

Sliding your phone back into your pocket, you hastily grabbed a coat from your closet and shuffled back into the room, finding Luhan keeping a safe distance from the growling Clyde.

“Alright, we can leave now.” You said, shooting Clyde the same threatening look that he was giving Luhan.

After locking up and thanking Luhan for the cookies, you both made your way outside, about to call a cab.

“No, it’s fine. My company isn’t that far from here. We can walk.”

“Are you sure? These streets aren’t very safe at night.” You replied, wringing your hands together nervously.

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you.” Luhan said, the corners of his mouth rising as he softly bumped his shoulder into yours.

You couldn’t help but smile back at the cute gesture, for you had never been treated this way before.

Within no time at all, you had arrived to Luhan’s ‘company’ which wasn’t much of a company. It was strange how on one end, a person like Suho could end up so successful, but on the other end, Luhan ended up with not as much success. The building was extremely shabby, and almost resembled a loan sharks company. It was painted in dark colors, and many parts of the small building were falling off, or already lying on the ground. You wanted to ask what Luhan did for a living here, but thought it was probably embarrassing for him right now.

Turning to face him, you found that indeed, his cheeks were red with color and his head was hanging low in shame.

“It’s not much compared to Suho’s company.” He explained, rolling his eyes.

“Don’t worry- in some ways, it resembles my apartment complex.” You chuckled, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

……

Suho’s phone vibrated on the glass table that his feet were currently propped on. It surprised him a bit, and he jumped slightly.

“Who could it be at this hour? I swear, if Hyun Joong messed something up again, I’m going to kill him-“ Suho began, but was surprised to see that it was Jane that had texted him.

His eyes widened at the text, and he didn’t like what he saw.

“Oh no. Jane- how could you get into so much trouble on your first day?” Suho muttered, jaw clenched. He quickly dialed a number on his cell, putting the phone to his ear.

“Hello-?” A voice on the other end spoke.

“Chanyeol. It’s me. Call everyone, there’s trouble with Luhan.”

“Again? But I thought we straightened that out months ago?” The deep voice yawned, having been woken up by Suho’s sudden call.

“No, it seems that our problems are just beginning.”