Cars Really Are Handy

We Have to Practice Accidents [hiatus]

"You have no idea of how sorry I am."

“Just put the dishes in the sink, I’ll take care of them later.”  Jongin jumped off the island counter and gathered his dishes in one pile.

“Are you sure? You won’t get home till late.”  Kyungsoo stood in front of the sink as he placed his dishes down as carefully as possible with his good hand.

“Yeah, I’m sure.  Just hurry and finish your sweet potato, I don’t know when my dad will be here.” Kyungsoo nodded and grabbed for his unfinished sweet potato while Jongin placed his dishes in the sink as well.

Jinri had already placed her dishes in the sink, and had moved back to her homework in the dining room, singing to Volume Up very loudly.

As Kyungsoo sat back down in his seat, his phone started to vibrate.

“Hello?”

Kyungsoo!

“Oh! Yiyi!  What’s the matter, you ready to go home?” Kyungsoo bit into his still very hot sweet potato.

"Well, Jimin already dropped me off.  But you weren’t there.  Mom was home and threw a fit, so I kinda went back home with Jimin. Her dad didn’t like the way mom was acting.”  Kyungsoo dropped his potato on the ground.

“She what?! What did she do?! Are you okay?! Why didn’t you tell me you were coming home!? I could have picked you up!”  Kyungsoo panicked and scrambled around in his seat trying to wipe off the hot pieces of potato.

It wasn’t bad, don’t worry!” Ha Yi tried to comfort. “She just yelled here and there.

“You’re telling the truth right? She didn’t hit you right?”  Kyungsoo spoke lower and got up from his seat after placing his potato down on the table and walked off to a secluded part of the kitchen.

No, she really didn’t hit me.  Don’t worry.  But why aren’t you home? I thought you got off work at five today?”

“Something happened today at school.. I sprained my finger.”  Ha Yi gasped on the other line. “So I wasn’t able to take my regular shift, instead Mr. Kim let me take a night shift. So I won’t be home until late.”  Kyungsoo’s voice was still low, but anxious.

Really? Jimin’s mom actually asked me to spend the night because you weren’t home. So I kinda.. Took some clothes just in case.” Ha Yi was getting shy.

“Really?! Oh Yiyi I’m so proud of you! But are you sure that’s okay with them? I won’t be home till late and I rather you not home with mom alone… Ah I feel bad, now I feel like I’m forcing you to them.”

No no! It’s okay! Really!”  Kyungsoo could hear the soft murmurs and giggles from the other side, knowing Ha Yi had told them something.  “Wait a minute.”  Ha Yi had sounded distant. “WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAND?!” Ha Yi screamed into the phone, causing Kyungsoo to immediately pull it away from his ear.

“I sprained it today…”  Kyungsoo told her reluctantly. 

How?! Are you okay?!”

“I’m fine Ha Yi~ don’t worry about me, okay?”  Kyungsoo cooed to calm her down.

But I can’t leave you alone with a sprained hand now!” 

“Don’t you dare think about coming home.  You better stay there until tomorrow or else we’ll be having kimchi spaghetti for the rest of the week!”

But how could you threaten me like that!?” Ha Yi cried out.

“Because friends are more important right now.  If anything were to happen to me, then you’re gonna need friends to help back you up. Just relax and hang out and have fun this time okay?  I’ll be fine alone.  I’m your big brother. I’m always fine. I’m always strong.”

The line was silent for a while; he knew Ha Yi was thinking hard to herself.

Alright, fine. But you better be fine when we see each other tomorrow.”

“I can guarantee you that I will be.”  Kyungsoo smiled. “Just make sure you get into the school building safely.”

Don’t worry, I will.”

“You’re at Jimin’s home right now, right?” Kyungsoo asked just to stay on the line with his sister a little longer.

Yup! We’ve been making faces at each other all this time on the phone.” Kyungsoo giggled as he heard cries from the background.

“Alright…  What mom did… It wasn’t enough for Jimin's dad to say anything to anyone right?”

I’m not sure I know what you mean.”

“I mean…”  Kyungsoo turned away from the kitchen even more and whispered even lower into the phone.  “It wasn’t enough for Jimin’s father to take you away?”

Oh… That’s what you mean.  No it wasn’t, don’t worry.”  Ha Yi’s words were soft.

Kyungsoo sighed, “Good.  I was so afraid something like that wou-”

I’m not going anywhere.” Kyungsoo was shocked by her words.

Another silence separated the two, this time Kyungsoo was set on thinking mode.

“I’m just glad you’re okay.  You’ll be alright spending the night at her house right?”

Of course. But I don’t think you’ll be alright. So if you need help with anything you better hurry up and call me!”

Kyungsoo chuckled at her protectiveness, “don’t worry I will. I’ll see you tomorrow alright?”

Mhm. Bye Kyungsoo, I love you.”

“I love you too, goodnight.” 

After exchanging their last farewells, Kyungsoo hung up and held his phone to his chest for a moment.

Biting his lip, he slipped his phone back into his pocket and turned around only to find Jongin leaning against the island counter staring straight at him.

“Everything alright?” A lower voice sounded just as Jongin opened his own mouth.

Kyungsoo was shocked for a moment until Mr. Kim walked into his line of sight.

“A-Ah! Yes, everything’s fine.”  Kyungsoo nodded.

“Alright, well then get your things.  We’re heading out now.”  Mr. Kim nodded and walked away from the area that Kyungsoo had been standing in.

Kyungsoo walked up to Jongin and noticed he had been holding a potato in his hand.

“Here, you should finish it.”  Jongin held out the potato.

“That’s alright, just wrap it up.  I’ll eat it later.”

“No, you’re gonna need your strength for later so eat it now.” Jongin shoved the potato into Kyungsoo’s chest, causing him to react by latching onto the potato. 

“Whatever it is, just eat in the car.”  Mr. Kim’s deep voice boomed into the kitchen.

Kyungsoo, shocked again, tried to look around for Mr. Kim while Jongin rolled his eyes and grabbed Kyungsoo’s wrist.  “Come on, I’ll get your jacket.”

It was a fairly quite ride for the most part. Jongin had joined Kyungsoo in the back of the car once again as Mr. Kim drove them to their destination.  Kyungsoo felt awkward with the silent ride, but thought it was probably for the best. 

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but glance up now and then at the rear view mirror and find himself staring into the hard eyes of Mr. Kim, but just as soon as he would look away a soft smile would spread on the man’s harsh features. 

Jongin had been immersed in whatever his phone screen held; Kyungsoo could only snicker, that is until he leaned over and spoke.

“Here, give me your number.”  Jongin held out his phone, Kyungsoo could only stare.

“We hardly know each other.”  Kyungsoo said bluntly. 

“So?  Starting tomorrow I’m gonna be your servant until your wrist is better, so you’ll have to call me eventually for assistance.  Besides we’re bound to become closer after this.”

For the umpteenth time today Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and grabbed the phone, quickly typing his number into the contact that had been pulled up for him.  Not used to the touch screen kind of phones or devices, he struggled in trying to put an emote next to his name.

Before he was satisfied with “Kyungsoo your elder >:(” and was about to save the contact, Jongin blurted out.

“T-Take a picture of yourself!”  The words were rushed, and Jongin was a flustered mess (Kyungsoo hadn’t noticed to Jongin’s relief.)

Mr. Kim coughed a little in the front, “smooth.” He muttered.

Jongin clicked his tongue angrily towards his father before he turned his attention back to Kyungsoo.

“What for?”

“Because I like to have pictures of the people on my contact list.”  Jongin quickly recovered himself with a smile.

“Oh, so you mean whenever I message you, you’ll know it’s me?”  Kyungsoo asked genuinely curious, his own phone was but a 2G flip phone still.

“Yeah..”  Jongin reached over a little more and clicked the picture that Kyungsoo assumed was for adding a picture and the camera had shown up.

“Ohh, Baekhyun’s phone does this too.  It gives me a headache when I want to search something or mess around with it.” Jongin giggled as Kyungsoo tried to find a good enough angle.

“You want a tip?”  Jongin asked, causing Kyungsoo to look over at him and place the phone down on his lap, still in his hands.

“What?”

“When you go to take a picture of yourself, the best angle is always from above.  It’s more flattering. You can take the picture however you want! I don’t mind. But I assumed that you don’t take pictures of yourself a lot.”  Kyungsoo shook his head and lifted the phone back again, just a bit higher for a better angle.

After fixing a few strands of his getting long hair, Kyungsoo finally took a picture.  However he was met with a flash on his face.  When the picture ended and showed up on the screen, Kyungsoo was midway cowering his face from the flash.

“Aw!  The picture came out weird!”  Kyungsoo exclaimed, causing Jongin to lean over and take a peak. 

Jongin retracted to his side of the car laughing.  Kyungsoo snickered and cancelled the picture he had taken.  When Jongin finished his laughing fit he unbuckled his seat belt and scooted into the small space that separated the two, making sure their thighs and shoulders were brushed up against each other.

“Lemme see it.”  Jongin took the phone and started moving his thumb around the screen.  “Here, take a couple pictures until you find the right one.”  Jongin smiled as he gave back the phone with the camera setting back on.  “Do different poses too!  Don’t just frown.  Hold up the peace sign, or do something cute.”

Kyungsoo thought about it.  Baekhyun was always taking pictures of himself or with him.  Baekhyun would often teach him cutesy poses or the latest trend in posing for pictures; he just never really found a need for them.

“Wouldn’t that be weird though?  You’d have a bunch of pictures of me on your phone.”

“Nah, it’ll be fine.  I’ll delete them later.”

Mr. Kim started coughing again, this time causing Jongin to hit the driver’s seat.

“Hey, old man! Get a drink of water if you’re gonna cough everywhere!  You’re gonna get us sick!”  Jongin scolded his father.

“You’ll regret saying that when we get out of this car.”  Mr. Kim calmly retorted. 

Jongin pursed his lips like a snot and turned his attention back to Kyungsoo who was still fiddling with a good position.

“That's good!  Just like that.”  Jongin encourage.

“Are you sure?”  Jongin nodded.

“But smile!”

Kyungsoo tensed, he was being watched by Jongin as he tried to take a picture of himself.  He felt uncomfortable and embarrassed.  He never takes pictures of himself; he dared not in front of someone he barely knew.

Trying his best to hide his shyness and embarrassment, Kyungsoo awkwardly placed a smile on his lips.  Once he thought it was suitable, he clicked the shutter button.

“Good!”  Jongin cheered.  “Now do a different pose, like holding the peace sign up.”  Jongin demonstrated by holding his two fingers close to face.

“But.. That’s embarrassing. And.. Girly, don’t you think?”

“I don’t think so… It’s normal for people to take pictures like this.”  Jongin tried to reassure.

“A-Alright.. Just.. Just don’t look at me!”  Kyungsoo put on his strong façade again and snapped at Jongin.

“Okay, okay.”  Jongin put his hands up and scooted back over to his seat in the car and stared out the window.

Once Kyungsoo had taken his pictures, he asked for Jongin to bring up the contacts and set his picture under his contact name.

“Should I get your number too?”  Kyungsoo asked just as the car pulled into the back parking lot of the restaurant. 

The sun had set an hour ago leaving darkness to spread over the sky.  It was odd to Kyungsoo a bit; it wasn’t often that he went to work during the week at such a late time.  As soon as the two exited the vehicle and began to walk towards the back door, Jongin was lifted from the ground and instantly drawn backwards.    

“Dad! Dad what are you!?! Stop!! Put me down! Put me down!!”  Jongin, once again, flailed in his father’s gripped that had be secured around his torso; leaving his legs to wiggle off the ground.

“Kyungsoo you go on ahead into work first. I’m gonna teach this guy a lesson before we go in.  See you then.”  Mr. Kim smiled over Jongin’s shoulder.

Kyungsoo once again shocked at the sudden happenings stared for a moment and nodded as a response.  Before he went in though, he caught a glimps of Jongin’s pleading eyes.  Kyungsoo only shook his head and kept his way into the building up the back stairs.

There’s nothing I can really do for you right now Jongin. Good luck is the best I can say! Kyungsoo opened the door and greeted everyone, trying to ignore the screams of pleading that Jongin left behind.

“Kyungsoo! Oh my god! Kyungsoo there you are!”  Minseok had nearly shouted at the top of his lungs as he dropped his whisk and sauce pan (making sure it was off the flame of course.)

Kyungsoo had shut the door only to be engulfed in a warm embrace of a man no taller than he was.

“Oh! Hey, what’s the matter?”  Kyungsoo asked shocked by the sudden hug.

“You didn’t come into work today! I feared for the worst!”  Minseok held onto Kyungsoo’s shoulders and showed his pleading eyes.  “Then Mr. Kim came in later and said that you would take a late shift because you got hurt! Where are you hurt?!” Minseok searched Kyungsoo’s body up and down.

“I’m fine, don’t worry.”  Kyungsoo gave a warming smile to Minseok as he lifted Kyungsoo’s left hand, astonished at the bandaging. 

“This.. What is this?! Oh Kyungsoo my baby what happened?”  Minseok’s eyes became teary as he turned Kyungsoo’s hand this way and that.

“I fell down on my hand, nothing serious.  It’s not broken, just sprained.  Well actually I sprained my middle finger only, so it’s not so bad.”

“Not bad?! Why the hell are you here?!  Go home and rest!”  Just as Minseok was about to further scold Kyungsoo, Mr. Kim walked in through the door.

“Don’t worry Minseok.  I’ve got that under control.”  Behind Mr. Kim was a pouting boy who had been rubbing his lower back.

“Mr. Kim!” Minseok straightened himself out to be presentable in front of his boss.  “But Kyungsoo is injured sir!  He has a right to leave work!”

“Not without a proper doctor’s note telling me so.  Kyungsoo hasn’t seen a proper doctor, so in other words, he’ll be working.”  Mr. Kim was firm, towering down over Minseok and Jongin who had joined the conversation.

“But sir! Just loo-”

“No but’s! Kyungsoo will work as I see fit. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir.” Minseok hung his head.

“Good, now get back to your station. I’m pretty sure you’ve wasted enough time here.” No sympathy came from Mr. Kim, he was completely cold and bitter.

“Yes sir.” Minseok bit back his angry tongue and ran back to his station to continue cooking, only to be scolded by the line chef’s next to him waiting for him to finish his part of the dish.

“As for you Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo froze and shivered at the murderous words that left Mr. Kim’s mouth.  “You and Jongin are going to wash the dishes all night.”  Mr. Kim held up his finger and pointed at the small part of the kitchen that was left untouched but full of dirty dishes from the night that had been purposely left for the two boys (but Mr. Kim wasn’t going to tell them that.)

“Why me?!”  Jongin shouted up at his father.

“Because Jinri told me that you weren’t home and hadn’t cooked dinner on time like you were supposed to.  That means you didn’t do your homework like I also told you! So you’re getting punished.”  Mr. Kim crossed his arms.

“But dad!”

“No but’s!” This time Mr. Kim grabbed onto Jongin’s ear and started pulling him toward the sink area.

“Ow ow ow ow ow ow!” Jongin cried out as he was dragged over to the sink, followed by a confused little Kyungsoo.

“Now get to work, both of you. Since both of you disappeared without telling me.”

“Sir! It was my fault, I went shopping for my home and Jongin helped me with the groceries.”  Kyungsoo bowed his head.

“Doesn’t matter, Jongin needs to work anyways.  He barely has discipline.  Now hurry up, the faster these get done the quicker you can go home.”  With that, Kyungsoo grabbed an apron to cover himself and put on gloves to start with the dish washing.

“You’re not seriously letting him wash the dishes are you Jongin?” Mr. Kim sounded rather annoyed.

“Of course not! He just took it without telling me.”  Jongin mumbled as he bumped Kyungsoo’s hip with his own. “I’ll take over.”

“No, it’s alright I got it.”

“I don’t think so. Not with that hand.”  The two were speaking lowly to each other, not on purpose but because that’s just how it happened.

“It’s fine, really.”  Kyungsoo tried not to raise his voice afraid Mr. Kim was still observing them.

“No, you dry the dishes, I’ll wash.” Kyungsoo gave up and let Jongin do most of the work in the end.

While the two worked together, Mr. Kim laughed at them as he helped out around the kitchen not telling them that there was a dishwasher right next to them.  All they had to do really was fill it with the dishes and clean the bigger ones that couldn’t fit.

To hell with it, Jongin will thank me later for it.

After what felt like two hours of pure torture, the two had finished.  Jongin had pale pruned hands while Kyungsoo had a sore right hand and forearms.  Their time doing the dishes was a silent part unless Jongin butted in with a question or Kyungsoo would yell at Jongin for washing a dish wrong.

Jongin, trying to be cute, even tried to splash foamy water onto Kyungsoo; only to be shut down with a smack to the back of the head from him.  It was a nice time to just dry the dishes in Kyungsoo’s opinion.  He wasn’t working his off.  Jongin however could beg to differ at how boring the job was, but he couldn’t complain being next to Kyungsoo (even though they hardly spoke a word to each other.)

The two were seated again in the back of Mr. Kim’s car, waiting to be dropped off at their designated destinations.  Only the words of Kyungsoo giving directions to his house were heard along with the new found rain storm.

“How long is it supposed to rain for?”  Jongin asked out loud to no one in particular.

Mr. Kim glanced at Jongin through the rear view mirror, “I don’t know. Why don’t you check your phone?” Without further ado, Jongin did just that.

“Ugh, it’s supposed to pour all night and into the morning.”  Jongin looked over at Kyungsoo.  “Are you sure you just don’t want to sleep over since Ha Yi won’t be home either?” 

“No.  I have homework to do anyways.”  Kyungsoo gave no more attention to Jongin than he needed.

Mr. Kim and Jongin both exchanged glances to each other, unknown to the smallest of the three.

“You alright Kyungsoo?”  Mr. Kim asked in absence of Jongin.

“! I left my umbrella at your house!”  Kyungsoo exclaimed as he glared at Jongin.

“Whoa, don’t look at me like that.  It’s not my fault you’re the idiot who forgot it.”

“You’re the one who decided to take it just in case it rained on the way back from my house.” Kyungsoo began to grit his teeth.

“You went to his house, Jongin?”

“Yeah, to drop off his groceries, I wasn’t allowed inside though.” Mr. Kim snickered at Jongin. “Do we have an extra umbrella in the trunk dad?”

“No, I took it out when I vacuumed it the other day.”

“Ugh! Daaad!” Jongin complained. “Why didn’t you put it back?”

“I forgot!”

“Now Kyungsoo’s gonna get all soaked. If he gets sick, it’s your fault!”

“Hey! A little rain from where ever I drop him off at shouldn’t hurt .”

“Oh! Take a right at the next light Mr. Kim. Please. That’s my street.”  Kyungsoo intervened in the most nonchalant way he could manage.

The car was silent again.  Not until Mr. Kim turned down the street.

“It’s at the very end of the street; I’ll tell you when we get there.”

A moment of silence engulfed the tension in the car.

“Kyungsoo?”

“Yes?” Kyungsoo perked up in his seat.

“About your work..  Don’t bother coming in for the next two weeks.”

“Wh-What?!”

“You heard me.” Mr. Kim was still as monotone as ever, yet firm.

“B-But sir!  I need to work. I have to pa-”

“Don’t worry about your pay check.  You’ll still get paid.  Just rest your hand. In this line of work, your hands are the most important thing. They’re your precious jewels and most trusted friend.  You must protect them with all your being.  Keep them safe, never let harm come their way.  Once in a while you’ll get a cut of course, but never let anything serious damage them.  I know Jongin hurt you, so you must protect yourself from him.”  Both Kyungsoo and Jongin looked at each other, one more worried than the other. “If he ever hurts you again, I’ll make sure to punish him properly. Okay? For now, Jongin you serve him well.”

“D-Dad!”

Before Mr. Kim was about to speak over Jongin’s protests, Kyungsoo spoke up, “Ah third house from this one on the right is my house sir…”

“Yes sir.”  Mr. Kim responded.  “Now I better not see you near the restaurant for the next two weeks. That’s an order.  Do you understand?”

“Y-Yes sir.”  Kyungsoo sunk back into his seat scared of the tone that Mr. Kim was using.

“Good.  Now Jongin, no funny business.  I know how lazy you can be, but you better help him out.  I don’t know how you hurt him, but you’re sure as hell going to pay for it.”  Jongin slammed his back into his seat like a child throwing a tantrum and rolled his eyes to look out the window.

“I’ve been paying for it all day.”  Jongin mumbled.

, no you haven’t.  Kyungsoo shot small daggers into Jongin’s skull.

“Alright, here you are Kyungsoo.”  Kyungsoo’s cheeks started burn as the piece of crap of a house stood next to them. 

“Th-Thank you sir.”  Kyungsoo unbuckled his seat belt and bowed his head towards Mr. Kim.

Just before he unlocked his door and stepped out Mr. Kim began to speak again.

“Kyungsoo, I know my son is lacking in many ways.  But please.  Don’t be too harsh on him. Give him a chance.”

Not really understanding what he was talking about Kyungsoo looked over at Jongin who was staring back with wide eyes and what Kyungsoo thought were rosy cheeks, but he wasn’t able to tell if it was because of the street light just in front of the car shining through the windows.  

And for a split second, Jongin’s face looked slightly cute. Just slightly.

Not saying anything, Kyungsoo bowed his head again towards Mr. Kim who had been watching him through the rear view mirror and opened the car door to leave.

“Good ni-” Jongin tried to get out before the car door slammed hard.

Jongin frowned as he looked slowly down the car’s back seat as Kyungsoo walked around the backside of the car and speed walked to his front gate and onto his porch.

Ugly bastard.  Kyungsoo thought to himself.

“He’s really upset, huh?”  Mr. Kim asked as he watched Kyungsoo step through his front gate.

“I wouldn’t put it past him.”  Jongin’s voice cracked.

“Kim ing Jongin, don’t you dare cry.”


I'd like to think Jongin's dad's car is a 2009 mazda 6!