And This Is How I Met Your Father

We Have to Practice Accidents [hiatus]

"Today was the first time I talked to him. I wanted so badly to punch myself in the face."

“I’m sorry Kyungsoo, but this for your own good.”

“No-No!” The door began to shut before Kyungsoo could do anything. “Mr. Hwang! Please, I’m begging you! You know how much I need this job!”  Kyungsoo fought with all of his strength to keep the glass door from shutting completely.

“No Kyungsoo!” Mr. Hwang yelled at the top of his lungs and let the door go. “Look at you!  Ever since you first started working here, I’ve watched the bags under your eyes become blacker and blacker. Your lips are pale, you can hardly lift the new shipments in and you can barely speak properly! Kyungsoo, laying you off is the best thing I can do for you. Unless you plan on becoming a masseuse one day, then I think you need to take a break.  You’re still a kid; you need to live the life of one. Bask in your youth while you still can, cause I sure as well wish I could!” 

Tears started to brim Kyungsoo’s eyes, his nose scrunched and bottom lip turned into a frown. “Mr. Hwang… Please.”  Kyungsoo sputtered out, knowing that there was nothing to change his mind.

Mr. Hwang shook his head with a sigh, “Kyungsoo.. You know I love you like one of my own.  You’ve been my hardest worker for the past three years, but watching you suffer like this hurts. I hope you realize laying you off, isn’t easy either.” 

Kyungsoo looked to the ground, still fiddling with the apron in his hands.  Mr. Hwang stuck his hand out, waiting patiently for Kyungsoo to give it up.  Kyungsoo bit his lip and slowly, ever so slowly gave up his apron.

“Oh, Kyungsoo. Don’t look like that.  I know you’ve been fired from countless jobs before. And I know you don’t cry over any of them.”  Mr. Hwang stepped forward and wrapped his arms gently around the shivering boy.

“No, but you’ve been the kindest to me. You’ve helped me through so much that I just can’t leave so easily.”  Kyungsoo buried his face into Mr. Hwang’s shoulder and wrapped his arms back around him, tightly.

“I know, I know. But you listen to me okay? I know how hard it is for you to trust people, but don’t be afraid sometimes.  Sometimes I wonder if I’m your only friend. Cause I sure as hell know Kwanghee would love to be your friend.”

“Your son is the devil.”

Mr. Hwang let out a hearty laugh, “That’s only because he likes you.”

A soft silence encircled the two of them as the loud noises of cars driving and the night life of Seoul passed them by.

Mr. Hwang leaned down to Kyungsoo’s ear to whisper, “I know you need the money, but this isn’t your highest paying job. I think you can handle without this job.  But just because you don’t work here anymore, doesn’t mean I still don’t want to see you. Don’t you be stranger, okay? You’re welcome in my house any time.  Both you and your sister.”  Kyungsoo’s grip tightened on the back of Mr. Hwang’s shirt.

Kyungsoo took a deep breath of air, as his tear began fall, “thank you” Kyungsoo muttered into his shoulder.

“Ahhh! Look at this kid!  Now you’re gonna get snot all over my shirt!” Kyungsoo giggled as he tried to hold his tears back. “I’m just messing with ya kid.  But seriously, don’t be afraid to come to me for help. You know I’ve always been here.”  Kyungsoo nodded against his shoulder. “Geez…  You probably really needed to cry anyways.  When was the last time you cried? Huh? But this is a weakling’s cry; this isn’t everything you keep pent up inside.”  Mr. Hwang gently Kyungsoo’s hair as he spoke soft words to the crumbling boy. “You know, I bet the reason why you’re so short is because of all the stress your under.  It’s stunted your growth as man!”

Kyungsoo laughed a little louder this time.

“There we go.  That’s what I wanted to hear.  You have beautiful smile Kyungsoo, don’t ever let it falter.”  Mr. Hwang let go of Kyungsoo and placed both his hands on his shoulders. “You look like a mess!  Go home and clean yourself up, alright?”  Kyungsoo nodded, this time feeling a new set of tears coming on. “Break the news easily to your sister alright? I’ll still make her my famous double dutch cookies, so don’t let her cry too. But she’ll only get them if you guys come around for a visit. So make sure you come around.”

“Of course.”  Kyungsoo said softly and a little nasally.

“Looks like I’ll have to break the news softly to Kwanghee too..  He’ll kill me when he finds out I let you go.”  Kyungsoo smiled, making Mr. Hwang smile back. “Don’t be a stranger okay? Now get out of here, before I kick your down the street.”

Not wasting another second, Kyungsoo quickly wrapped his arms around Mr. Hwang and gave a quick “thank you” and “goodbye” before making his way down the sidewalk.

Mr. Hwang crossed his arms and gave a sad smile as he watched Kyungsoo walk away.

“Oh yeah… Kyungsoo!”  Mr. Hwang shouted after him.  Kyungsoo snapped his head back towards him. “Come by tomorrow for your last pay check!” 

The words were like daggers in Kyungsoo’s heart, but he knew better.

“Okay! Thank you!”  Kyungsoo shouted before he turned around to keep walking.

Kyungsoo stood outside of his small cramped apartment, not wanting to go in.  His mother was out so it wouldn’t be too bad. But having to face Ha Yi was dreadful. 

Maybe I shouldn’t tell her..  But what if she found out? She’d be so heartbroken..  She’d be disappointed in me.. Oh god!  I couldn’t bear that! Kyungsoo thought to himself as he shook his head in frustration and pulled his hair.

No! I’m gonna do it.  I’m gonna walk in there, make her a special dinner. And tell her straight up why I’m home early.  Actually.. Then I can do my homework.. After I’ve cleaned up, I can do the laundry and my homework at the same time.. And.. Get to bed early.. Kyungsoo shivered at the thought of going to bed early

Maybe it isn’t so bad I was laid off.  Kyungsoo tried to assure himself as he walked through the front door.  Taking off his shoes he called out to his little sister, “Yiyi! I’m home!” No answer came from anywhere.

Strange..  Kyungsoo made his way to the kitchen and noticed the light was on.  He stepped into the small crooked space and saw his younger sister seated on the floor in front of the low table.

“How come you didn’t answer when I said I was home?”  Kyungsoo asked as he made his way to the single temperature fridge they had to grab the container filled with clean water.

Still no answer from the small one seated at the table with her head hung and hair completely covering her face.  A single piece of paper was laid in front of her on the table, catching the attention of Kyungsoo who was drinking straight from the water container.

“Lee Ha Yi.”  Kyungsoo said taking a breath after gulping down the water.  Ha Yi gripped the hem of her night shirt and bit her lip.  Mustering up the most courage she could, she ripped the paper from the table and held it up to Kyungsoo’s face.

“What’s this?”  Kyungsoo took the paper and asked before taking a proper look at it.  At the very top of the paper there was a number thirty-five circled in red ink, with several red crosses all over the page.

Kyungsoo gasped at seeing the score.  “What is this out of?!”

“Fif-Fiftey..” Ha Yi spoke quietly; poor thing was so scared to show her brother such a horrid score, especially since they spent so much time together studying for it.

Kyungsoo sighed, there was no avoiding it.  He knew how much his little sister struggled with math.  It didn’t matter though; he couldn’t be upset with her.  It wouldn’t be fair anyways.

“That’s too bad.. We spent so much time studying for it.”  Kyungsoo sat down next to her and placed the paper on the table.  “Guess we’ll just have to study harder next time.” Ha Yi looked up at her brother in shock.

“Y-You’re not mad?”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “Nah.  Actually, well I was fired from my job. So I guess we’re even.”  Ha Yi gasped.

“No!  Not at Mr. Hwang’s massage place!” Kyungsoo nodded his head in defeat, Ha Yi was horrified.

“Hey! You got a bad score after all our hard work, so I don’t wanna hear it!”

“But then that means no more cookies!”

“Mr. Hwang said we could still have his cookies if we stopped by once in awhile, so don’t worry.” Kyungsoo crossed his arms and stared his sister down. “Besides with the amount you eat, you’ll get fat. Then I can’t marry you off to a rich man.”

“Kyungsoo!” Kyungsoo giggled at her.

“I’m just kidding pipsqueak. I was gonna cook your favorite meal tonight because I know how much you liked Mr. Hwang, but since you got a bad score, I’m not going too anymore.”  Kyungsoo got up and made his over to the refrigerator.  “Instead, we’re gonna have kimchi spaghetti.” Ha Yi groaned.

“We have that every other niiighhhhtt! I want some bibimbap!” Ha Yi threw her head back and let her back hit the ground as she flailed her arms around in defiance for the dinner selection of the night.

“I already said we’re not doing what you want anymore. I want kimchi spaghetti and you’re gonna like it.”  Kyungsoo playfully yelled and Ha Yi stuck her tongue out in disgust.

“Kyungsoo, take me to work with you today.”  Ha Yi yawned as she rubbed her eye.  Kyungsoo looked up from the newspaper he was reading on the kitchen table and took a small sip from the inferno of a cup.

“You can’t come to work with me anymore Yiyi.”  Kyungsoo tried to play off the fact that he just burnt the complete crap out of his lip, but Ha Yi couldn’t help but notice the growing red mark on his philtrum.

 “But can’t I go to work with you at your restaurant job? I get so lonely staying home all day.” Ha Yi gave her best pout as she picked up her chop sticks to dig into the small yet nutritional breakfast laid before her.

“Why don’t you go out and play with Jimin and Yerin?  You spend all day at home sometimes, I even wonder if they’re really your friends! Do they bully you?!”  The thought had been in his mind for quite some time.  Ha Yi was appalled by the question, which quickly put Kyungsoo’s thoughts to rest.

“Of course not!  They’re always asking me to go out with them and play with them outside of school… But I don’t want to leave big brother alone…”  Ha Yi mumbled the last part, but Kyungsoo heard enough.

Kyungsoo smiled, “Ahh! I’m old enough to take care of myself you terd ball. Go on, go play with the girls for today.”

“But that’d be weird if I just invited myself over.”

“They didn’t invite you this time around?”  Kyungsoo put his newspaper down and picked up his chopsticks to continue eating.

Ha Yi shook her head, “They know that I usually turn them down on the weekends.”

Kyungsoo sighed, “Alright, but I have to call my boss first.”  Ha Yi perked her head up.

Taking his small flip phone out, Kyungsoo dialed his boss’ number.  Mr. Kim was the owner and head chef  but decided he would call Minseok first, since Minseok was the Sous Chef and manager of the restaurant.  

Hello?”  A muffled and strained voice came from the other line.

“Uh, Min? It’s Kyungsoo..”

Get off the phone Seok-ie.” Another muffled voice came from the background. “Hey! Kim Jongdae, what are you-” “I’m sorry, but Minseok can’t speak right now-” “Hey! I was-”

Before Kyungsoo could slip in a word the line was cut.  He was left speechless, and a little embarrassed.  Minseok had sounded like he was just waking up from sleep, and the fact that there was another man’s voice made him blush even harder.

Well that was.. That was interesting. Kyungsoo hurriedly typed a text and sent it out to Minseok before he got up from the dining table to wash his dishes. 

“What was that about?”  Ha Yi asked while stuffing her face with a pork bun. Kyungsoo blushed, almost knowing exactly what happened.

“I-I haven’t the slightest clue!” Kyungsoo tried to play it off, successfully working in the process.

Kyungsoo’s phone vibrated, Ha Yi reached across the table to check the message.

“Minseok said that he’s fine with me going over and that I’d have to stay in the lounge room for the day.  But call Mr. Kim anyways to make sure it’d be alright with him.”

Kyungsoo groaned, he didn’t particularly like to talk to Mr. Kim.  It was always awkward, the man made Kyungsoo feel smaller than he already was.  He was intimidating. 

Meanwhile, Ha Yi fist pumped and did a victory dance in her head.

Kyungsoo turned off the sink and wiped his hands on his thighs. “Alright lemme see the phone.”  Ha Yi handed it off to him and went back to finishing her breakfast.

Kyungsoo sent another quick text to Minseok saying “thank you” and dialed Mr. Kim’s number.  The phone rang for quite some time, almost making Kyungsoo think he was going to get the answering machine.

However the line picked up, a nasally and husky voice spoke. “Hello?”

“Uh, Mr. Kim?”

That’s enough Jongin, give me back my phone.” A voice in the background sounded. Muffled movements echoed in the phone, causing Kyungsoo to take it away from his ear and stare at his phone for a moment. “Jongin!” The voice sounded again.

Sorry, you’re close, but not close enough.” The voice in Kyungsoo’s ear had malice in it. Not evil really, more like, mischievous.

“I’m sorry, but I need to speak with Mr. Kim.”

Well you are speaking to a Mr. Kim, can I help you?”  Kyungsoo furrowed his eye brows.

“I’m sorry, but I need to speak with the owner of Le Ciel de L’Amour.

The person on the other line snickered, “Heh, fine.  Thanks for calling anyways though.

“Wh-Why?”

That’s for me to know, and you to find out.”  Kyungsoo shivered at the unknown person’s voice.  The phone was handed off to another person, someone more familiar now.

Kyungsoo, is that you?”

“Yes Mr. Kim.”

What can I do ya for kiddo?”

“Uh! Um! I-I was wondering if I could bring my little sister into work today!”  Kyungsoo stammered, mentally bashing his head against the kitchen table.

There was silence, “… I don’t know.. That’s a bit unprofessional of my restaurant you know.  Besides, there’s no room to fit an extra person like that.”

“I was thinking that maybe she could stay in the lounge area or something.”

That’s a personal time area for my employee’s Kyungsoo.  It’d make them uncomfortable with a girl—how old is she anyways?”

“She’s ten sir.”

You know how noisily the employee’s can talk.  Not only would they be uncomfortable but the possible innocence of her child life could be ruined.”

“S-Sir I jus-”

"If she’ll be quite and not cause trouble, then I’ll allow her to stay.  Why did you want her to come anyways? Is it because of your mother?”  Kyungsoo was shocked, even more at the fact that Mr. Kim was a little lively talking on the phone; he usually always seemed so cold and monotone.

“H-How did you know about my mother?”

A little birdie told me, don’t worry about it.” 

“Sir, thank you for allowing my little sister to come.”  Kyungsoo looked over at Ha Yi to see her face light up, a smile spread across his own.

Well, I figured since I was going to take my son to work too, I might as well let you bring your sister. She’s practically your daughter anyways.”

“S-Sir.. How do you know all this?”

A little birdie.”  Mr. Kim chuckled.

“A-Ah.. I see..”

Well anyways, I’ve got to go. See you at noon alright?”

“Y-Yes sir.”

"You’re doing prep work this time, right?”

Y-Yes sir.”  Kyungsoo blushed, he’s never talked to the man for so long before, he was uncomfortable.

Geez, stop stuttering—” “DAD. GET OFF THE PHONE.” A voice yelled in the background. “Jongin! That was rude!” Mr. Kim yelled away from the phone. “You’re talking to him! That’s rude!” The voice in the background said.

“Anyways, Kyungsoo?” Now Mr. Kim speaking.

“Yes?”

I like it when you do the prep work.  Everything tastes better when you’re handling with the food.”  A gasp was heard in the background from two different voices, while Kyungsoo was ridiculously flattered. 

A girls voice now echoed in the background of the phone call, “Dad’s gotta cruuuush, dad’s gotta cruuuushh~”  The girls voice teased in the background.

Ugh.  Kid’s, what are you going to do with them?” Kyungsoo wasn’t exactly sure who he saying that too.

“Um, thank you Mr. Kim.”

Oh no problem. Anyways, see you later Kyungsoo.

With that, the line ended. 

Kyungsoo had no idea what just happened, causing him to stare at his phone for a little bit. When he looked up at Ha Yi, she had been staring at him with the most judgmental look should could possibly muster.

Kyungsoo sighed.

“I hate you so much, dad.”