Strawberry Kimchi

We Have to Practice Accidents [hiatus]

"Do guys like him usually smell like that? I don't mind."

Kyungsoo was pissed that night that Ha Yi never told him about Jongin.  All night he was a mysterious figure keeping her company, come to find out it was his boss’ son. 

Kyungsoo was grateful he did his homework the night before; that way he could go home, do a load of laundry and get to bed.  The idea of sleep once again made Kyungsoo shiver.

The two siblings had just arrived home on his moped only to find the younger of the two fast asleep on his back.  The lights were in the inside of the house; Kyungsoo feared his mother might be home.

As quickly and as quietly as he could, he removed his little sister’s arms from his waist and took off her helmet.  It was ten at night, long past her bedtime.  Slipping her backpack to his shoulders, he swiftly picked Ha Yi up from under her knees and supported her back.  Quietly making his way to the front door, he pushed it open as softly as the old thing would allow.

The kitchen light was on, only leaving him to think that his mother was in there.  Quickly turning to the opposite direction, he made his way to her room and laid her gently upon the futon in the middle of her room.

After fixing the sheets around her, he stood up and turned the lights off.  Just before he did so, a small voice called out to him, “thank you, Kyungsoo.”  Ha Yi mumbled with her eyes still closed.

Kyungsoo said nothing for a short while a little shocked at the words. 

“You little bum, you were awake the entire time weren’t you?”  Ha Yi smiled and her side, gripping the blankets to cuddle with.  Kyungsoo sighed, “Goodnight Yiyi, love ya.”

“I love you too.”  And with those final words, Kyungsoo turned the lights off and shut her door quietly.

Kyungsoo stood in front of her door for a little while.  Thinking about what had happened in the day.  Thinking about what would happen the next day.  Thinking about what would happen in the future. 

If there was one thing, besides losing his little sister, that frightened Kyungsoo the most it was the future.

Would he still have a place to call home?  Would he be separated from his sister?  Would he not be able to support her through high school and college? Would he not be able to bring food to the table anymore one day? 

Kyungsoo was afraid he wasn’t doing enough.  He needed to work harder if he wanted his little sister to live a full life.

Kyungsoo bit his lip and clenched his fist.

Walking in the kitchen area, Kyungsoo braced himself.  He held a basket of his and his little sisters dirty clothes. 

Inside there was a figure, dressed in dark long sleeve colors to fit the weather outside.  Long raven hair had been laid over the table that lay low to the ground.  And arm stuck out as the other tucked beneath the head that rested on the table surface.

Kyungsoo softly tread his footsteps past his mother to the small area that was dedicated to a washer and drying rack.  If they wanted a dryer, Kyungsoo would have to carry the wet clothes to a local laundromat. 

Gently, Kyungsoo placed the basket down and turned the water on for the washer and started adding the detergent.  As soon as the noises had been made, Kyungsoo’s mother had jolted and lifted her head slowly off the table.

A pool of spit had piled near and stained her cheek.  When she looked up to find the source of disturbance, she found her son kneeling in front of a basket separating clothes. 

“Oh.. Kyungsoo..”  She mumbled hoarsely. 

Kyungsoo, however, did not spare her a glance.

“Heyy.. When I’m talking to you, I want you to look at me.”  Her voice was still mumbled and hoarse but she was firm, trying to take authority. 

Kyungsoo sighed, a frown shown definitely on his face.  He stopped what he was doing and placed the piece of clothing in his lap.  Turning his attention to his mother, he almost glared at her.

"Ahhh~ that’s more like it.  That’s my beautiful son.  So caring.. So beautiful.  Yet with always a look of disappear.”  She was drunk, or at least getting over being drunk.

Kyungsoo turned away and rolled his eyes, throwing the clothes into the washer machine once again.  He was dressed in layers still; the heater’s in the house were usually turned off at night unless Kyungsoo and his sister slept together and shared a heater.

“Say something Kyunggie~ I want to hear your melodious voice~”  Kyungsoo slammed the shirt in his hands on his lap again.

“Why don’t you go to bed mom? Go to your room and sleep.”

“Well that’s not very nice.”

“Well I’m trying to do the laundry and you’re preventing me from doing so.”  Their voices were low, Kyungsoo for the fact his sister was sleeping and his mother for the fact that she was sleepy.

“Awwww, how could my adorable son turn into such a sour person?  You used cling onto my hand when you were younger and follow me everywhere, trying to be mommy’s little protector.  Whatever happened to the little Kyungsoo that used to sing his ABC’s everywhere because he was proud to know another language?  Where’s that Kyunggie? I want that Kyunggie back.  I have so many precious memories of my little Kyunggie, bring him bacckk~” His mother complained.

“If you really cherished those kinds of memories, then you would.  And you would do your best to try to make even better memories for your son as he got older.  In fact, you should have memories of your daughter like that too! But do you?  Oh wait, no! You decided that once she was done feeding, she didn’t need the love of a mother.  You stopped caring! You stopped caring about your children because you gave up!  You gave up because you thought you couldn’t provide for us properly.  Damn it, I bet you would have kicked us out the second you had a chance to!”  Kyungsoo’s mother stood up. “You were a strong woman once before, but once Ha Yi was born, you gave up! You claim you haven’t given up on me, but because you gave up on her, you’ve given up on me!”  Kyungsoo’s voice slowly began to rise as his mother moved closer to him.  “You’re the worst mother ever; I should kick you out right now.  This house is my house now and all you d-” before Kyungsoo could finish, a hard and cold hand stung the side of his face.

Tears had brimmed Kyungsoo’s eyes while he gave his speech, but once the bitter feeling stung his face, they poured out.

“How dare you speak to me like that you insolent brat?  After all I’ve given you.”  Kyungsoo turned away from his mother and began finishing the laundry. “How dare you speak to your mother like that?”  Her voice was low and hostile.

“When I see one, then I’ll stop.”  Kyungsoo remarked, not caring for anything that happened after that moment.

Kyungsoo was so full of anger he hadn’t noticed his mother left for her room sobbing.  His cheek was swollen and painful, yet it did not compare to the damage his mother left on him emotionally.

Morning had arrived and Kyungsoo’s alarm went off the same as always.  Five-thirty.

Kyungsoo turned off his phone’s alarm and laid on his futon for a while, staring up at the ceiling of the living room.  There were only two bed rooms in the house, one for his mother (in which Kyungsoo never ventured) and one for his younger sister.  For the past five years, Kyungsoo had been sleeping in that room, so it practically became his room.  His wardrobe though was shared in his little sister’s room.  Kyungsoo used the dresser while Ha Yi used the closet. 

Finally getting the motivation he needed, he got up and stared to fold his sheets and small mattress to put away for the day.

Once he was done he made his way to the bathroom and grabbed the hanger that held his school uniform, hanging on the edge of the door.  Kyungsoo took a quick shower, regretting that he forgot to do the groceries for the week, because he was out of his favorite body wash.  Nothing smelt manlier than the line of Cintron cologne in his opinion (something expensive but a little indulgence never hurt).  Buuuuuut, he regrets to inform himself that he had forgot to do the groceries and is now stuck between using his mothers sweet cherry blossom bar of soap and his little sisters strawberries and cream body wash. 

Internally beating himself up, he stuck with the strawberries and cream.  Kyungsoo knew that the bar of soap would have been a better choice to use since it would wear off faster and hadn’t that pungent of a smell, but it smelt of his mother.  He’d rather stick his face with needles before going ahead and smell like the woman who abandoned him.

After a lovely quick five minute hot shower, the bathroom was filled with the wonderful scent of strawberries and everything fluffy and steamy.  He stepped out of the shower, and dried his body off quickly, knowing he had to get his little sister in the shower before she was off to school, since she hadn’t taken one the night before (the two agreed upon a schedule that Kyungsoo would shower in the morning, and she at night.)

Kyungsoo wrapped the fresh smelling clean towel around his waist and made his way to the sink, filling out the rest of his hygiene duties.  He brushed his teeth, combed his hair, and shaved the little stubs of hair that tried to peak out behind his upper lip. 

When he finished, he stopped and took a good long look at himself in the mirror.  He was getting thinner, and he wasn’t really fond of that. 

When was the last time I looked at myself? I must look horrifying to everyone..  The bags under Kyungsoo’s eyes were a dark purple, making his large eyes seem scarier than usual.  The hollows of his cheeks were showing more and that was very, very, scary to Kyungsoo.

His eyes traveled to his chest and torso.  He wasn’t too skinny down there, in fact a little musclely in his opinion.  He brushed it off with the fact that he had been doing a lot of strenuous work at the fish mart.  He looked at his arms and squeezed them gently.  They were a bit flabby at first, but he knew better.  In the hot summer, all the old women would swoon over the muscles that he would show off while lifting the heavy loads.

He turned his body to the side and began to flex his arms; he smirked once he saw the result.

At least I still got these babies. Nobody can resist these guns.  Kyungsoo made faces at himself as he took both of his arms and began to flex them, giving a mouthed “ooo” and “ahh” occasionally.

“Oh my god! Kyungsoo!  My eyes!  My innocent eyes!” A shriek startled Kyungsoo so badly that he jumped and accidentally leaned over the sink’s counter and knocked a few hair products down.

“Ha Yi!  I’m not done yet!”  Kyungsoo had never been so mortified in his life.  His face was so hot that he swore he melted the rest of the fat on them off.

“You’ve been in here for fifteen minutes!  Hurry up, I have to pee!”  She slammed the door and scurried off to her room.

Ha Yi was a terrible morning person, she was always half asleep for at least a good ten minutes before she was properly awaken, but the poor thing walked in on her brother.

Kyungsoo quickly changed into his school’s uniform and rushed out of the bathroom.

When he passed Ha Yi’s room he knocked softly and told her the bathroom was free; leaving him to go off to the kitchen and begin making breakfast.

It was a decent breakfast, minus the fact that they were running out of ingredients, but it was nutritional and hearty. 

Ha Yi walked into the kitchen, dressed in her cute little school outfit and placed her book-bag beside the table.

Just as she walked past her brother who was setting the table with clean chopsticks, she got a wiff of a very familiar scent. 

“You are legendary today big brother.”  Ha Yi remarked as she sat down and started to dig into the breakfast meal.

“Shut it.  This stays between you and I. Got it?”  He sat down and stared her dead in the eyes.

Ha Yi nodded with a smirk.

“Don’t forget your lunch, I made it last night.” Kyungsoo took a rather large bite of his rice.

“I won’t!”

Ha Yi always went to school around seven in the morning, while Kyungsoo hadn’t needed to be in until seven thirty.  So every morning, Kyungsoo would walk Ha Yi to school.  They sometimes held hands and laughed the entire way.  Sometimes they held hands and stayed quite the entire time.  Sometimes they did both without holding hands.  And sometimes it was dead silent and awkward because of a possible fight.

But today was not that case, Kyungsoo and Ha Yi held hands and chatted comfortably with each other.  It was only a fifteen minute walk, leaving it quite convenient for the both of them.

“After school today, are you going over Jimin’s house?  You guys needed to work on a project together.”

“Yup! I don’t know how long I’ll be there for, so I’ll call you okay?”

“That’s fine, just not too late okay?  I’ll see you later alright?”

“Yup! Thank you big brother.”  Ha Yi hugged him tight.

“You’re welcome you little munchkin.” He smiled and hugged her back.

“Bye!  I love you!”  She waved as she scurried off into the buildings gates.

“I love you too!”  He waved and made sure she was completely in the building before he left for the bus stop to his own school.

All the little kids always gave him funny stares as he walked away.  Whispering to each other and pointing at him, wondering why a high schooler was at their elementary school.  Many parents who saw their kids off did the same thing.

Kyungsoo ignored them and left on his way, knowing he had better things to do.

As Kyungsoo finally reached his school, he walked through the gates noticing not a soul in sight. 

He was early, again.  Usually before he made his way to school he’d find a place to finish whatever homework he hadn’t finished the night before, but that was not the case this time.

He had made his way right to the school just before the swarm of student’s came.  Of course there were some stray student’s who loved being up so early or for whatever reasons they had, but Kyungsoo paid no mind to them.

Knowing no one would be waiting for him, he made his way to his classroom, the door was already open.  Paying no mind to it, he walked through the first door, only to stop dead in his tracks at the sight before him.

“Ch-Chanyeol.. What-What are you doing?”  Kyungsoo’s backpack that had been slung on one shoulder fell down a little on his arm.

Chanyeol had an arm stretched before him, while his other arm had been just behind it.  Both his hands were strained, pointing downwards at the pencils that lay on his desk.  His face was scrunched, red and strained as if an unknown force had been squeezing the life out of him.  His bouncing curls just slightly covered his eye brows as he hunched over in his seat.

After what seemed to be five minutes to Kyungsoo had ended, Chanyeol had relaxed with an obnoxious sigh, and sat back in his seat.  He had worn himself out completely with whatever just happened because it caused his chest to heave up and down heavily. 

After a short rest, Chanyeol got back into position and was about to start whatever he was doing before he answered, “I had a dream last night.”

Kyungsoo was now walking into the classroom, making his way to his seat in the middle of the second row closest to the wall, just to the right of Chanyeol’s own desk.

“Oh?” Kyungsoo acknowledged as he noticed Chanyeol hadn’t continued on.

“I dreamed I could create fire out of the palm of my hand.”  Before Kyungsoo could comment, Chanyeol heaved forward and started up again.

Kyungsoo watched with his mouth slightly a gaped for a while.

“Why the hell am I friends with you?”

“Yo! Kyung-dol you owe me eight bucks!”  Kyungsoo whipped his head around to the person two seats behind him.

“What?! Since when?!”

“Since you borrowed eight bucks!”  The character slammed his empty wallet on his own desk.

“Are you kidding me Baekhyun?! If you didn’t have lunch money I would have made you a lunch!”  The said figure Baekhyun smirked.

“But you never answer my texts, so how could I ask that of you?” Chanyeol giggled next to Kyungsoo.

“Shut up!”  Kyungsoo took his notebook and smacked Chanyeol’s shoulder. 

“What are you his mom now?”  Chanyeol retorted making Kyungsoo roll his eyes.

Kyungsoo had no idea why he was friends with these two.  If it were up to him, he would have spent his entire school life friendless. But that just hadn’t been the case for him.  Kyungsoo was fourteen when he met Baekhyun in his first year of high school.  It was an accident really.  Baekhyun, being the good person he is, was carrying a load of empty cardboard boxes for an old teacher who was retiring.  The stack was above his head, causing him to use his outside voice for passer-byer’s to watch out.

Kyungsoo had kept his head low, not aware of his surroundings really.  Just turning a small corner to make his way out the building for home, he bumped square into Baekhyun.  The boxes toppled all over Kyungsoo and himself, causing the two to stare at each other for a good moment before realizing what just happened.

Kyungsoo almost had a heart attack, not used to talking to people his age.  But the most unexpected thing happened.  Kyungsoo thought Baekhyun would burst into flames and start yelling at him for his clumsiness. (Baekhyun’s face had been a little red after he gazed upon Kyungsoo).  Instead, Kyungsoo was met with a fit of giggles coming from the person standing in front of him.

Kyungsoo was so scared of why he laughed that he nearly let out a scream.  Baekhyun instead laughed and bent down to pick up the boxes that had fallen over. 

Well?  Don’t just stand there! Since you bumped into me, and I to you, you’re gonna help me carry these to avoid that from happening again.” Kyungsoo never forgot those words; until this day he still replay’s that moment in head whenever he reminds himself why he’s even friends with this creature named Byun Baekhyun.

After Kyungsoo had helped Baekhyun carry the boxes to the teacher’s office, Baekhyun treated him to a drink.  Kyungsoo wanted to refuse, but he was grabbed by the arm and dragged to the vending machines down the hallway and was dragged back up to the roof.

That’s probably the best way one could explain Kyungsoo’s first interaction with Baekhyun.  After that day, Baekhyun used to cling to Kyungsoo’s arm every time they saw each other in the hallway.  It was always Baekhyun who stuck around Kyungsoo, so he really hadn’t much to say in their friendship. But after a fight between the two in their first years, Kyungsoo realized just how important Baekhyun was to him, and that his company was surely comforting.  Through thick and thin, the two stayed put in their friendship.

It was always a mystery to Kyungsoo as to why Baekhyun used to stick around him; he was a very popular character indeed.  Baekhyun was a chatter box, the center of attention (even if he didn’t mean it) he was just a really loved person who was friends with everyone.  But he was closest to a boy of the name Do Kyungsoo; the one who hardly said anything to anyone and hardly gave anyone any acknowledgement.

Baekhyun tried to socialized Kyungsoo countless times of course but it just never worked how he hoped.

As for Chanyeol, well… During last year’s chemistry class the two had been paired for a project.  Chanyeol was.. A weird cookie.  He hung out with the “tools” or “populars” of the school, yet he also hung out with the kids that were constantly playing video games.  He was alone during lunch unless his best friend came over and sat with him.

But Chanyeol was just plain odd.  Nobody really liked him unless they were close to him.  People often thought he had a mental disability because his response to things were sometimes slow.  He often said weird things and people never understood him.  

Naturally, Kyungsoo groaned and dreaded his partnership with this giant.  But it turned out, not that bad.  The two had a week to get the project done, and Kyungsoo hated projects more than anything in the world.  He never had outside time to work on them.  But he somehow found time to have Chanyeol and him meet up at the library or each other’s houses. They split the work up and were able to finish the project within three days, however Chanyeol would tell Kyungsoo that his part of the project research wasn’t done, and that he needed to go over his house to finish it.  Kyungsoo believed him and let him over. Chanyeol just wanted to spend time Kyungsoo really, he was a lonely person and spending his time with Kyungsoo was nice.

Ever since their week of that project, Chanyeol would often pester Kyungsoo to hang out outside of school.  They never talked much in school mainly due to the fact they hardly saw each other, but this year they were stuck in the same homeroom. 

The bell for lunch had finally rung and Kyungsoo was glad to finally get away from those two punks. 

Like always though, just as Kyungsoo shot for the door, Baekhyun’s arm slipped across his shoulders.

“Don’t think you’re getting away that easy again you little thief.  Lemme borrow some lunch money please?”

“I let you borrow some last week.  What happened to that money?” 

“I used it up.”

“What the hell do you eat?!  You’re the rich one! Why don’t you have money?!”  Kyungsoo tried to pry himself from Baek’s hold but failed to do so.

“I like treat others who don’t have money too~”

“That’s my money!  Not something you can just spend like that! You still owe me from last week too! Ugh, Baek!  I’m not giving you money!”  Baekhyun pouted and took his arm from Kyungsoo’s shoulder and started rubbing his palms together.

“Please, please, please pleeaaassee?  They have kimchi stew todaayyyy~” Baekhyun whined even more.

“I said no!”  Kyungsoo ignored the boy’s cries and walked on to the cafeteria. 

He was stopped abruptly and met with his arm being shaken loosely. 

“But Kyuuuunnngggg~ pleeease~”

“No Bae-” Before Kyungsoo could finish, the color of a red bill had made its way in between Kyungsoo’s and Baekhyun’s faces.

The two stared at it for a second before Baekhyun finally let go of Kyungsoo’s arm.  They both followed the length of the arm to face Chanyeol with an expressionless face.  No one had said anything and simply stared at each other. 

Chanyeol moved his hand so that the bill would wave in front of Baekhyun’s face.

“For.. Me?” Baekhyun asked as he reached his hand out to grab the bill.

Chanyeol nodded at him, and took his leave once Baekhyun grabbed the bill.

“Uh, thanks!”  Baekhyun called out after him.

“You’re welcome.”  Chanyeol turned his back fully and walked down to the lunchroom.

Kyungsoo shook his head and turned to look at Baekhyun only to find him in a daze and blushing.

“Yo!  What are you doing?!”  Baekhyun jolted and clenched onto the money in his hands.

“N-Nothing!” Kyungsoo shook his head again and started to walk away.

“Well hurry up with your nothingness, I don’t wanna miss my lunch.”  Kyungsoo held up his brown lunch bag and beckoned for Baekhyun to follow him.

“How do you do it Kyung?” Baekhyun had finally caught up.

“Do what?”

“How did you become friends with him?  He’s the only one I can’t be friends with.”  Baekhyun continued to watch the backside of Chanyeol’s figure disappear into the lunchroom doors along with several other peoples.

“I don’t know, I didn’t really choose to be his friend.  He was the one who talked to me all the time.  Like you.  You can talk to anyone and everyone, why don’t you just talk to him?”  Kyungsoo asked as he held the door open for Baekhyun.

“Because, I just can’t…  Anyways, there’s an exchange student from somewhere in China, I was asked to him around tomorrow and that means you’re coming with me!”

“Ughhhhh, why do you do this to me?  I’d really rather not have to work in school you know.” Kyungsoo followed Baekhyun into the lunch line.

“Because I know you love me, and you’ll do anything I say.” Baekhyun smirked.

“That’s what you think, .” Kyungsoo jabbed Baekhyun in the side with his forefingers. 


 

Awkward title, it makes me cringe sometimes lol