Chapter 5

Crazy Love in One Hello [HIATUS]

A/N/: Thank you for waiting and i'm very sorry I took a lot of effort finishing the two stories in their respective chapters. As a Gift or burden... I give you a LOOOOnnnnggg CHATER. Enjoy AFFS fellows!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Ren's P.OV.:

 

It's been five months and the two crazy falling in love with each other. I can see hyung is very happy with So Min-noona. There are times when they have a date, they sometimes ask me or forcing me to go with them, of course it is not always as moms still have control on me being young. Now is one of the exceptions of why we are sitting at the farthest park in our town with hyung's guitar and I reading a story book titled ‘The Diary of a Wimpy Kid’ when So Min snatches it to my hand and keep it away from me. I look at Hyun Joong who is busy adjusting and strumming his guitar so I look back at her blankly and then suddenly I had an Idea. I huff an air and remain it inside my cheek to look puffy-- I was trying to look cute at her to convince her to give back the book. So Min giggles and pointed at me.

 

 

 

Yep I failed to convince him instead I made myself as her laughing stuff.

 

 

 

"Joong-ah... Ren-ah making me laughs so much!" she held down her stomach as she cannot control herself laughing madly.

 

"Hey, stealing her heart from mine is bad." my hyung said to me and hugging her like a teddy bear.

 

"I didn't." I stare blankly. I really don’t.

 

 

"Your hyung will be very sad when your noona fell in love with you not to me."

 

I laugh at it as my brother acting younger than me. Well, I will never be the hindrance for my brother's love.

 

 

"I find her attractive but that's all. I like her for you and I will help you if bad comes in."

 

 

My brother patted my head and smile at me.

 

 

"I know. I was just joking. I'm the happiest guy when she finally accepts my feelings."

 

 

So Min jumps a bit to back hug Hyun Joong and rest his head to his shoulder looking at me.

 

 

"Eottoke? I like Ren's lovable lips and his cute eyes?"

 

"What??" Hyun Joong playfully looked at him with hurt eyes.

 

 

"I'm just joking." she looks up at me. "I am the luckiest girl when this guy fell in love on me. He is so hard to get, you know that."

 

 

We all laugh at it for agreeing and Hyun Joong looked back at me then smile.

 

 

"Well... let's get your charm boost up a bit. She likes your lovable lips so let your voice hear this young lady to mesmerize more by your awesomeness. Shall we?"

 

 

I started to feel my cheeks burning.

 

 

"He's blushing, Joong-ah."

 

 

"I... I- I don't know if I can. I'm not good at these." I look down and start fidgeting the hem of my shirt.

 

"Yes you are. I secretly listened when you sing the song that I wrote. It is one of your favorites."

 

 

"I-I like it because... that song is for So Min-noona."

 

"That is why I want you sing it for her... as a present."

 

"Eh?"

 

"It's special day today that's why if you sing that song, I just gave her the present I want to give."

 

"A-alright... for So Min-noona." I blush.

 

 

"Surely I'm the luckiest girl because the two gorgeous boys like me."

 

“What an airhead have you there, pretty girl?” my hyung flick her nose lightly before giggling with her.

 

Sweet.

 

“Yes, I already know I’m pretty.”

 

 

This noona likes compliments a lot.

 

 

Hyun Joong adjusts the final pitch of his guitar and I cough a bit to clear my throat. So Min's eyes are dazzling with anticipation and stay seated in front of us. My brother look at me signaling if I am ready and I nodded at him. He strums his guitar with a sweet mellow as an introduction and I started to sing.

 

 

“Truth is, I like you from the first day we met

Saying I like you wasn’t something easy for me

But if I don’t talk to you I’m afraid that I might lose you

I wrote you a letter and got you a gift I can’t hide my feelings anymore

‘Cause you are so beautiful…‘Cause you are so beautiful

.*Minhyun's I'm in love (playing grand piano)

 

 

As the song ended, So Min, the only audience he have praises us.

 

"You have a wonderful voice Ren... You two are very talented. I wish I could sing like you. Like Minnie-oppa said, your voice has a natural high pitch."

 

"Thank you, So Min-noona." I shyly look down.

 

 

"Oww... I'm jealous now. You call Jung Min as oppa."

 

 

"Nah don't be... you like Hyun Joong-oppa? Nah... Yeobo? More like it!" she jump from excitement and clasp her two hands in front of my hyung and flutter her eyes.

 

My brother and I blush of the word he used for him.

 

My, this girl is really so into my brother to call him 'Love' like that.

 

 

We got tired sitting in the picnic grove and we decided to walk. We went to the nearest market street where anything is there except being a quiet place. Many ajjusshi and ajjhuma bargaining to what they are buying in every stall they can go. My brother did not left my hand alone as we getting in the middle of the market the more people scatter on the way. Our way crowded us that made me separate from them as my hyung’s hand slip off his grasp to mine. I call him out but I think he cannot hear me as the people are taller and bigger than me. I’m getting tense as the crowd led me to the other side of the market and I was so lost to the place once I was freed from jamming between their bodies. I was standing at one of the stall a minute later but push me away when they realize I was not there to be a buyer so I stray myself out in it and find them by my own. I wander around the place where we stayed and too much to my dismay, I cannot find the way back to the park. Down to walking away the crowd, I notice a bunch of teens looking at my way with an evil smirk. I think they saw me as their prey as I was wandering alone this side of market. I hurriedly back to the crowd to misdirect them and fail to do so as they were already alert themselves that I am all alone and trail me. Before I made to dash out from their grasp, they already push me aside the abandon alley where no other persons lost to be walking. One of them pushed me down to the dusty floor street and I glare at them.

 

“What did I do?” I ask.“Well… nothing… just give your money and we will set you free.” The skinny guy said.

 

“I don’t have any.” I said truthfully.

 

“You really like to be beaten before you surrender it do you?” the fatty with thick eye glass threaten me.

 

"I am telling you... I don't have any." Can't they identify whether the person saying the truth and not a lie?

 

“Heh. Playing brave is not an option here.”

 

“What was the confusion over my statement that you did not understand? I told you I don’t have.” I pull inside out the pocket of my shirt to show it.

 

"Yaah! You still guts to talk to us like that?!" he smacks the back of my head.

 

“You are in this place without money? I’m not that fool! We know you just hide it from any part of your body. Boys, hold him and find any possible things we can get to him!” the skinny guy ordered.

 

 I think he’s the ring leader because as he said that, the other follow him and grab my two arms wide spread and the fatty one held me on my shoulder in case I freed myself from them. Being lucky or unlucky to be called, a tall kid pass accidentally unto us and intently staring like giving the kids a warning. They didn’t budge yet didn’t move until I lost him in my sight. I lower my head and sighs deeply.

 

What kind of guy is he? Is he was so afraid to help me? Well who doesn’t? He’s alone and they were more than him. I can’t blame him.

 

 

I noticed that they stood looking at each other like contemplating whether continue harassing me or what. I heard one of them talk to the leader.

 

“I think we should stop now, Han Sol.”

 

“Yep, the Min Guy saw us.”

 

“Why are you so afraid to him??? Let’s finish this and we can go without caught by elders.” The ring leader instructs to them.

 

The skinny guy approaches me but my instinct said that I should not give up this easily—even though I really don’t have any. I tried to pry myself out to them and luckily slipped off from their grasp. I automatically shove away the skinny guy but the fatty kid push me down that I almost kiss the floor.

 

“Argg!” Oww! If I had a well-built body!

 

The two boys pull up my arms while the fatty guy was on my back to refrain my movements. The skinny guy named Han Sol, being pissed of what I had done to him, standing closely to my face down the dust and tend to hit my head with his foot when we heard a whistle and voices of elder. At first I thought one of them is my hyung but they were adults from this place and any of them are unfamiliar—I mean, not all because the tall kid they called Min guy is with them.

 

Good grace! I thought he let me leave with those punks.

 

The other elders chase away the kids bullied me and the other stays with us. The tall guy helps me to stand up and dust off my tees.

 

 “Kamsahamnidda.” I respected so much as they save my life.

 

 

“I think you fought back, that’s why we caught you in time.” The tall guy look at me while saying that word.

 

 

“N-neh. Sort of… But they still pinned me down.” I scratch my nose and sheepishly smile at him.

 

 

“Did they have gotten something to you, young lad?” one of the ajhumma asks.

 

 

“Animidda. All of you were on time that’s why they didn’t get any.”

 

 

 

“I think you make it hard for them as we were so late that we still made it.” One of the elder said while patting my shoulder. “Why are you walking alone here? Where are your parents?”

 

“I was separated from my hyung when we walk downtown and can’t find them. I lost my way to the park we stayed and that time, the kids trail me and attacked.” I slowly lower my head.

 

 

“I’ll send him to the park, Auntie.” The tall guy volunteered.

 

 

“But your mother will be worried over you.”

 

 

“Tell her that we just help another kid from Han Sol and volunteered to accompany him.”

 

 

“Well if that’s the case, Okay. But be careful on your way. Han Sol might get back to you.”

 

 

We bow to bid out goodbye and walk away. I can’t help myself but to stare down my shoes while walking with him. I really don’t know how to mingle with new person and mostly interact to the people just once I saw. I’m a shy type person. Heh.

 

 

“How old are you?” he asks suddenly.

 

 

“Turning Eleven this November.” I look up a bit to him before answering.

 

 

“I see. I’m eleven.”

 

 

 

 “No way! You’re height is like my hyung’s height.” My eyes widen while pointing my finger at him.

 

 

“That’s why Han Sol thought I was older than my age.”

 

 

“You knew them?”

 

 

“Yep, bully schoolmate.”

 

 

“I see…”

 

 

“Is this the park that you’d stayed before? Yongdusan Park?”

 

 

“Yes. Thank you for sending me here. You can go—“

 

 

“I won’t leave you until your companion arrives.”

 

 

“That’s too much trouble to you. I’m sorry for being a burden.”

 

 

“Not really. I ask this so I won't leave. I actually stare at you before I look back to them."

 

 

"Yeah... I noticed."

 

 

"Like, dejavu…” he continue.

 

“Dejavu?” I repeat.

 

 

“Something like it happen before.”

 

 

I nodded as response to him.

 

 

“ I think we were meant to see here but I don’t know why.” He smile at me.

 

We have the same feeling. I was about to answer back but somebody interrupts us.

 

 

“Min-Min-ssi?” someone calls out.

 

 

We both look to the other who call him and saw a happy face then hug him tightly.

 

 

“Come on Jonghyun-ssi! You know I don’t like you hugging me like these!” he breathes out.

 

 

“I’m sorry! I thought I will never see you here!”

 

 

“Are you lost again? Where’s your parent?”

 

 

Lost? Like me? Did he…

 

 

“Well, I will let you save me again if it is." he laugh. " Nah, Just near with us. Oh, who is he? Is he lost?”

 

 

Nice. He noticed me.

 

 

“Yeah, little guy! I think that’s why I felt like that because it’s already happened before but different guy! Alas!”

 

 

“I… I see.” I quietly replied.

 

 

The guy smiles at me and look back to Min guy with a serious look.

 

 

“You don’t answer me directly.” He pouts.

 

 

“Yes. We’re just waiting…”

 

My hyung instantly hug me when he made himself come up in front of me from nowhere. The two guys were shock but the Min-Min guy instantly pries my hyung out to me and protects me from him. The Jonghyun guy made his way to help the Min-Min guy protecting me also. My hyung glares at them questioning their actions.

 

 

“May we know who you are? You don’t just hug someone instantly.” The tall guy looks at him suspiciously.

 

 

“And may I know who you are? You stopped me to be with my brother.”

 

 

“Is that true little guy?” asking me without looking.

 

“Yes, he is my brother.” I confirmed. “And don’t call me little guy because your friend back there is the same height as mine.”

 

 

“Oww… snappy. That’s why Han Sol didn’t get his way instantly.” He softens his gesture and bow a bit to him. “Mianhaedda for acting like that but I have my rights as he was with me when he lost.”

 

“Yah! You hurt my pride! You mean I am not accountable for protecting myself?” he whisper.

 

“Aren’t you?” Min-Min Guy continue silently teasing.

 

“Thank you for keeping him safe.” Hyun Joong bows at him with thankful eyes and then looked back at me. “Why are you full of dirt?”

 

The Min guy wanted to do the explaining but I talk first before him.

 

“I was stumbled over the dirt.”

 

The two guys were just stare at me in confusion.

 

 

“I see. We need to go now; So Min is really worried when we lost you.” And he hugs me again.

 

 

I patted his back.

 

"Why you didn't you go back here instantly?"

 

"I can't remember the way going back here. That guy helped and accompanied me here."

 

"Thank you again for helping my brother."

 

"You are welcome." He bows at Hyun Joong.

 

 

 

We bid our farewell and walk away. Hyun Joong did not let me go and walk a bit to go where So Min stays waiting for us. She runs towards to us and hugs me tightly.

 

"Mianhaedda! I am so sorry we lost you! It's my fault. I shouldn't ask the two of you to be at the market."

 

"Don't be. The important is I'm already here with you. I should be the one to say sorry as we are already late coming home."

 

 

"No... It should be me who should say sorry to you. You slipped on my hand and didn't get you again on time." Hyun joong rub my shoulder.

 

"Can we go home? It's already late and I'm tired." I said while yawning.

 

"Alright. Let's go." and we continue our journey to the subway. It was really a long day for me but a small smile crept on my lips thinking I encountered people like the Min-Min guy today.

 

 

 

Hyun Joong P.O.V.:

 

 

Jung Min and I were spending time at the backyard Friday night; him dribbling his basketball and I, holding my guitar looking at him.

 

"Why she'd asked you to tell me that we can't see each other for a while?" I asked my dear cousin who I only have contact to So Min.

 

"SoMin-ah told me that you can't see her for the meantime. Her father...er... I think I shouldn't say it."

 

 

"Com'on Minnie... I need to know although I had a feeling but I need you to spill it out." I plead.

 

Jung Min sighs out loud and wipes his face like he wants to erase it. "Alright! Alright! Last Sunday that she went home late, her father punished her for two weeks grounded and even us, we can't visit her at their house."

 

I am right. That four days ago where we lost Minki and we sent her home late, her parents got mad at her.

"I'm right, it's my fault..." my shoulder drops down when I heard it.

 

"How can that be?" he frown.

 

"Long story short, So Min and I dated with Ren but we lost him then found him already sun down and sent her home late."

 

 

"Aww, that horrible Ren!!! How can he be lost?"

 

"The market was crowded and my hand slipped on him that caused him to separate with us."

 

"Goodness, it is really your fault." He dramatically gasps.

 

"Thanks for comforting me best friend, it really helps a lot." a snap at him.

 

"Well you know how sweet I am... Nah, I'm just fooling around. We'll just wait to end the grounded thingy of her and viola! You two can be back as a lovey dovey couple again, dude. Let's play to loosen up your messed up brain, best friend." he patted my back and start dribbling the ball again.

 

I just shook my head while smirking and when I stretch my arms for warming up before standing up and follow his phase, I easily snatch the ball to him.

 

"That is not fair." my gracefully Best friend pouts.

 

"Min Min getting upset, huh." I tease and we started giggling while playing.

 

 

 

 

 

Time pass and the days went week, isn’t?

 

Days have been past and Ren's birthday is approaching. I don't know what I can give to him to his special day. Certainly that he will like it. What if another set of my song composition? Not cool. He always got it without celebration. As I was walking to the hallway, I noticed a poster hanging every corner of the wall and made my way to look at it too as other students discussing something in front of it. Now that I am seeing the content of the poster, I heard ruckus from the others that they cannot make it if I joined. A smile spread across my lips. So, it’s tomorrow? That's a great idea. Why I didn't think of that.

Soon I leave alone the poster and walk happily while setting up on what is in my mind. I went to the Head supervisor of the event and ask if I can give a referral to audition for the play. She agrees and asks me to sign the form to whoever I refer. I thank her and proceed to the canteen to eat.  The classes ended fair late enough so I went to the library for my work to be done and before I entered the library, somebody, a little figure, hug my back.

 

 

"Sunbaenim! Kamsahamnidda!" I felt tears rubbing in my uniform as I am not wearing my coat.

 

 

"Hey, I become a big hanky." I tease.

 

"Are you pulling some pranks to me? I can't sing well in front of others." he pouts against my back.

 

"And why are you thanking me of you can't? It's a first step to do before becoming an Idol. You told me you want it too, Choi Ren."

 

He nodded still pressing himself to me.

 

"Happy Birthday, little guy!" Ren lift up his head looking straight to my eyes not leaving mine.

 

“You’re using the name that guy who saved me, sunbae.”

 

Geez. It sent shivers to my spine. When Ren is being serious and wanted the truth, he stares intently straight from your eyes.

 

"Kansahamnidda... It's the best best best gift I ever received! The next wish I want is to perform with you on stage as we both are idols!"  he exclaims.

 

 

I pull myself out from his hug and turn around to face him.

 

 

"Then you must show what you got tomorrow! I will watch over you. Fighting!"

 

"Fighting!  Oh… You'll be late from work, hyung." he reminded me.

 

 

"Oh yeah! I was absorbed by your giddiness. Alright, see you!"

 

 

Times flies and did not notice how late it is when I went home. We had japchae as dinner celebration if Ren's birthday. Before we go to sleep, Eomma is busy writing down in her notebook and Ren, well he is more reserved than at school I guess as he was so timid and more on gesture these days at home.

 

 

"Ren was chosen to audition for the lead singer of the play 'Nativity' at school mom." 

 

 

"Another expenses if you continue that. We don't have money to buy your costume if you were chosen." Our mother stops writing and look up at Ren disinterest.

 

 

 

"Mom, aren't you proud that Ren tries to have self-confident rather than being reserve?"

 

 

"The Head Supervisor of the event told us that the art club will shoulder the costume for the choirs." Ren said in low tone.

 

 

"Whatever. I can't halt you anymore that now you made some reason for your doing." She keeps her things inside her bag and went out.

 

 

That's rather hurtful.

 

 

I saw pain in his face when mom walkout as she is upset of giving a reason to do the audition. I crawl a bit to reach out and patted his shoulder blade. Ren gave me a timid smile as an answer. If I can't push my dream, I will make a way for Ren's dream.

 

 

So that is how we celebrate our dongsaeng’s birthday then  morning came and today is the day that I am waiting for. The whole day to me is getting slower as I can't stop the feeling of excitement. I cannot wait the after class for the audition. I think we feel the same excitement but of course his is with fear as it is the first time he will perform in front of big crowd. The thing is, it is almost done audition event but Ren is still not performing. I frown in dismay as Doyoon stood up to tell the head supervisor that Ren is not around and it is his turn.

 

 

 What? Wait! D-did Ren succumb to his fear and back out?

 

 

I look up everywhere to see if he was just in the audience but cannot find even his shadow. I run out to look for him at his room but only his bag left and again, I search every room that he might be hiding: the end corridor of the fifth floor; Fire exit; track field; music room. Haish!!! Where the hell Can I find that coward kitty cat! I stomp my feet from frustration. Ren can really disappear if he wants to. I already spent half an hour finding in every corner of the school and still nowhere to be found. I stopped on my tracks when I recall he likes reading. I look up where I work and today I have my off day so I didn't go there. There is possible he went there. I run again to look for Ren for the very last place I held on my mind finding him. I arrived at the library and there still few students staying.

 

 

"Mrs. Ji, is Minki come by here?" I ask our librarian sitting behind her desk when I approach her.

 

 

"I'm sorry,  Hyun Joong-ssi but he didn't. Why, did he left without you?" she asks as she knew that Ren and I are siblings.

 

 

"Ani. I... I don't know but thank you, Mrs. Ji. I'm sorry that I bother you."

 

Is it possible he left to go home?

 

 

And I start running off again to find him in a place where I doubt he is there but still...

 

 

 

 

 

 

REN'S P.O.V.:

 

 

I cannot explain what I am feeling right now, like my inside is having an upside down and turning feelings.  Like... oh yeah I remember this feeling!  I felt this when I slipped down  and rolled over the pool of the P.E. Class helplessly and almost felt dying because I cannot swim and no one is around to save me. I smile to myself remembering that scene because that time, Doyoon became my savior and befriend me. That is why when we are having P.E. class, I always excuse myself that I have fear in water. It's been three years and now I have an opportunity to sing with him, it is one of the dreams of friends to perform on stage with each other. I am dreaming of that aside of performing with my brother. I am really proud to be with them!

 

 

"Minki."

 

My dream cloud pops as someone call my name and when I look who it was, it's none other than my friend Doyoon. Our class dismissed early for the audition that is why some of us are staying at the room without teachers. I smile at him but weirdly he looks serious though I stand up and still smile at him.

 

 

"Hm, Doyoon-ah wae?"

 

 

"Can I ask you a favour?"

 

 

"What kind of favor?" I inquire.

 

 

"Don't go to the audition." he said straight to my face.

 

 

"W-waeyo?" I frown. Isn't good that I have an opportunity to spend time with them?

 

 

"I am asking this. Aren’t you will do any favor for me?"

 

 

"B-but... I promise to someone that I need to be there. I... I was referred by Hyun Joong-sunbae that's why I was listed--" but he cut me off.

 

 

"That's why I ask you not to because you'll embarrass his name if you go."

 

 

"Pardon?" I step back a bit.

 

 

"Everyone knows how shy and reserved you are. You stuttered when our teacher calls you for recitation, how about the audition? There are lots of people staring at you."

 

 

Really, he starts to wreck my little confidence in me.

 

 

"And I think you'll lose your voice so you can't speak properly in front and worst, you will run out the auditorium and all of the students looking at you with dismay because you waste the opportunity given by Hyun Joong-sunbae."

 

"Stop... please stop..." I was in the edge of crying because my body is trembling. I can feel now what he is saying and it might be true. Singing is my passion...yet I still doubt myself.

 

 

"See, we were just thinking of it and you shudder from those. I am just helping you escaping from humiliation. Think about it, Minki." then he left with our other classmates and I... I am standing there head down looking at my feet and tears falling down. Too intimidated by his words, I slump sitting on my chair. I shook my head and breath properly as my mind is literally messed up.

 

 

 

But.

 

 

 

 I promised to Hyun Joong that I will be... but fear is eating me up. I stood up slowly and mindlessly walking out the room without keeping my things inside my bag and found myself standing at the back door of the auditorium. No one is there... I think, they already starting. Again, I mindlessly walk at the side stage where the applicants are sitting at the chairs on the stage and one is vacant.

 

 

 

That seat is mine.

 

 

 I look over the row seats where a lot of people looking at the performer.

 

 

 Audience.

 

 I am imagining myself standing there instead of him and my heart like pumping the oxygen out of me. I grab on the red curtain beside me and I notice how my hand trembling. My throat seems drying like choking me and I panic like hyperventilating.

 

 

 

How the hell I will perform on stage if I'm like these?!

 

 

 

I held out my hand to reach my chest as my heart beats abnormally and run away, away from that stage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don't know where my feet bring me but found myself staring at my clear reflection down my feet calmly. I felt lightheaded like clouds carrying me here. I look around insensibly finding no souls than mine that I mindlessly walk to the stairs down the pool. I still cannot create coherent thoughts but my body work its own. I was half way where the water of the pool is under my chin. I slowly walking and admire the disturbed water with my eyes in haze.

 

 

"REN!!WHERE ARE YOU?"

 

 

I heard a familiar voice...

 

 

 

“Ren!!” the one who’s searching me repeat himself.

 

 

I was snap out from my daze and realize that the water in the pool is almost reached my shoulder. My heart beat once calm are now tremendously pounding faster in panic! I try to calm myself and walk slowly but I slip and drown myself down the middle of the pool. Panic eats me and I can't find the strength to stand from the floor of the pool as I always slip off the ground and accidentally drink some water when attempting to swim up for breathing.

 

 

"Ren? Oh My God, Minki!!!"

 

 

I heard him again with the hint of panic as I knew he see me fighting not to drown--excessively gasping for air when I got myself up a bit to the water. A splash and a little force keep me out from drowning and I found my hyung hugging me to stop me in panic. He drags me off to the pool and sits me at the side pool to see if I'm alright.

 

 

"Are you okay???" holding both my shoulders.

 

 

I nod after a minute of coughing out the water I drunk and breathing in out crazily.

 

 

"Are you out of your mind? Why are you doing this to me!" worries wash away and Hyun Joong furiously slams his fist at the side of the pool near my leg and here I am again crying.

 

 

"Did you cry earlier, Ren?" as he notice my puffy eyes.

 

 

I sniff as I can't control myself from crying... again.

 

 

"Did you cry before you tried to drown yourself, aren't you?"

 

 

I nodded slowly.

 

 

"What happen?"

 

 

I remain silent.

 

 

"Choi Minki!!! Say something, damn it!"

 

 

I jerk on my sit when I hear him cursing me and calling me in my real name.

 

 

"Hyung... I... I can't. I... I'm afraid I will disappoint you."

 

 

 I stammer looking down my lap.

 

"Disappoint? In what terms do you disappoint me, Choi Minki?" He asks in a stern voice.

 

 

"I... I... like these. I fear..." I stop on talking and look at him with distress eyes.

 

 

"What fear?"

 

 

"I can't create such a right words to explain what I want to say!"

 

 

"You call that fear???"  He exclaims a bit irritated.

 

 

"I—I feared you'll hate me if I squeak or even I lost it! I... I am so afraid that even thinking of standing on that stage... I... I will lose the courage to open my lips to sing!" pointing out where the auditorium hall stands.

 

"You know what disappoint me more? It is because you never show yourself to them! You never try even for once what can you do, you just run like scare-dy cat and worst I saw you walking to the path were you will end your life!"

 

"I... I... no... I didn't intend to be... I was walking mindlessly and found myself here..." I said dejectedly.

 

 

"See... you are so depress to something that doesn't really exist!"

 

 

He pulled his self out the water and reach out my hand to stand up forcefully. I hesitantly followed him trailing behind the dripping water in our bodies.

 

 

"H-hyung... We... we are wet. It’s... it's embarrassing to walk--"

 

 

"Take it. If this walking out with soaking wet clothes in front of other people can make you grow some confidence and so be it." he yank me out going to the hallway then entered the auditorium.

 

 

I was somehow relieved to see the place without people. He still quietly pulling me up to the stage and left m

e at the middle of it while him instantly go down and take the front row, crossing his arms in front of him.

 

 

"Sunbae... We... we are wet... we need to change our clothes first..." looking down the trickling water from my clothes down the floor of the stage but he just stare at me with passionate anger.

 

 

"Tell me Choi Minki, what makes you decide not to even step on that stage?"

 

 

"I... I...I don't know." I quietly replied.

 

 

"Choi Minki! Look up on me when I am talking to you!" he raise his voice and it echoed back to the quietness of the hall.

 

 

I snap my head up and look at him.

 

 

"I will ask you another question. This time I know you will... you must! Why do you want to join this audition aside me who did the referral?" His voice poured all sides of the hall as he exclaims again.

 

 

"I... I..."

 

 

"I said LOOK INTO MY EYES!"

 

 

"I was so happy that I can perform in front of others with the people I call friends."

 

 

"LOUDER!"

 

 

"PERFORMING WITH MY FRIENDS IS ONE OF MY DREAMS THAT'S WHY I AM HAPPY YOU GIVE THAT OPPORUNITY BUT I'D BEEN SO COWARD THAT I TOSS IT ASIDE, MIANHAEDDA, SUNBAE." I exclaim out loud.

 

"I know you up that opportunity but what I am imploring to you tonight is that I want you be brave enough to stand there and sing." he said calmly.

 

 

I think he wants me to regret my actions and conquer my fear.

 

 

"But hyung... we are wet... our clothes are soaking wet and I can't concentrate... the floor will be spoilt with dirt... what if somebody drop by here... or... or... my mind is messed up, you know that."

 

 

"Don't bother by those things. Think of them as an obstacle. You want to be an idol? Try it without thinking around you... Sing like no one is looking at you. Sing from your heart with your mind and with your soul!"

 

 

As he is saying these encouraging words, I close my eyes and calm my bothered heart. I took a deep long breath and open my lips to start my acapella. I chose One dream to sing for him even though the first part are raps.

 

I want to hold it - the hand extended to me (hey)
I will hold it - the hand extended to me (hey)
I bite down all the criticisms toward me
It become silence

To me, there is only One voice (One voice)
One dream (One dream), One chance (One chance)
I can do it - One wish (One wish
One soul (One soul), One time (One time, Hey)
With all my heart (Let's go Let's go)
They look at me with expectant eyes
The light that shines on me is bright
My desperate dreams are now in front of my eyes
Sing a song with One voice (One voice)
One voice (One voice) One voice (One voice) One voice,
To me, there is only One voice... oh oh oh"

 

 

 

 

I open my eyes staring at my hyung down the stage aftere the last note I sing.

 

 

"W-what can you say, hyung? Sunbae?" I want to know.

 

 

"You have some flat notes in rapping but it is forgivable. A little trembled voice in some part but given because you were cold. At the chorus, you fairly deliver the song, just some practice and you'll improve your voice." He truthfully commend to me.

 

 

"T-thank you, hyung but I lost the chance to be part of the training you wanted me to be."  I said sadly as i remember of walking out.

 

 

"There's always next time, Minki. But when that next arise again... don't let the fear eats you." I nodded smiling back at him.

 

 

"Alright, let's change our clothes before we get ourselves sick."

 

 

I nodded again and approach the stairs to go down. He playfully rests his arm on my shoulder and rounded on my neck to playfully choke me when suddenly, the head supervisor clear to get our attention. I saw Doyoon behind her; shocked seeing me with Hyun Joong.

 

 

"Y-you were there all along???" I pointed out to them, forgetting she is older than me.

 

 

"Yes, the lead singer Doyoon-ssi and I were discussing at the back when we heard someone shouting. And don't forget that I AM HEAD SUPERVISOR, Choi Minki-ssi." He put stresses in her word being elder.

 

 

My eyes widen when he recalls my name.

 

 

She knows my name!

 

 

"Mianhaedda! I am very sorry, Head Supervisor!" I apologize immediately while bowing in numerous times.

 

 

"Is he the one that you refer?" looking straight on me but words is for my brother.

 

 

He nodded slowly.

 

 

"I didn't see him here earlier." she raise her eyebrows and I look down.

 

 

"It...There was something he needed to do that is why he didn't make it."

 

 

"Why you two are dripping wet?"

 

 

"Well..." we look at each other but before my brother answers, Doyoon move forward.

 

 

"Did you slide out in the pool again?" I hear him with worried voice.

 

 

"Again?" Hyun Joong frowns when he heard that the scene repeated itself.

 

 

I look up at Doyoon with astonished eyes.

 

 

He remember... he was worried over me when he heard that I will put out my face to humiliate and now slipping at pool makes him more... worried?

 

 

I notice that the Head Supervisor is still waiting for my answer so I nodded slowly taking a lie in front of the elders.

 

 

"And you...were...there..."

 

 

"I was worried over him that I took the chance to see him there and luckily, I saw him before he drowns himself alone."

 

 

And here I am taking lies, while his answers not needed to be tinted with lie.

 

 

"I warned you already not to go to the pool by your own." Doyoon stepped down and held me out by my shoulder when hyung left it to pay respect to the elders.

 

 

"Your mom will really mad if she knew--"

 

 

"Aniyo! Please Doyoon-ah don't tell her about this." I shook my head furiously, fearing he might say it to her.

 

 

"I won't, just don't go there again by your own." I nodded.

 

 

“So that’s why I didn’t see you participating P.E. Class.” Hyun Joong said like talking to himself."Well, your voice seems fine to me." The Head Supervisor jump out to another topic.

 

We three look up at her when she admired my voice.

 

"He's right that you need to practice more or have a voice lesson." she continue.

 

"T-thank you...thank you for the compliments. I can't go to a voice lesson as I don't have enough money to pay it." I blush.

 

 

"Today you stand there and you sing that song. I ask you--is every lyrics you sing is from your heart?"

 

 

I nodded.

 

 

"Can you try to stand up the way the song wants?"

 

 

I think deeply and nodded. "Sunbae said mistakes are normal. Learn from it and the perfections find its way to you."

 

 

"You really have a good mentor, Choi Minki because I admire Kim Hyun Joong-ssi's talent."

 

"Thank you." I bow a bit and even my brother.

 

 

"Are you going to run away again when things got complicated?"

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

"Choi Minki?"I look up and stare at her eyes intently before telling what is in my heart.

 

 

"I might run away again, ma'am." I said truthfully. "But, before I do that I will make sure that I will give my best to reach my dream."

 

 

"And... what is your dream?"

 

 

"I have lots of dream and one of it is to become an Idol. I know it’s too far from reality for now so I can bring down myself in real world. And that one dream for now… I want to perform on stage with my friends."

 

 

"I see... 'for now' huh?" she slyly smile at me.

 

 

 "I didn't expect you to be talkative, Mr. Choi. I heard the opposite."

 

I blush as I realize I am really talking too much without stuttering.

 

 

"Want to join the choir, Choi Minki-ssi?"

 

 

As she offered this, my eyes widen like a size of a plate.

 

 

Did I hear it right? The Head Supervisor asking me to join them???

 

 

"Doyoon's and your voice blended fine. I want to take the lead as duo now. If, only if you really want to be part of it? Are you?" our teacher seriously look at me, eye to eye.

 

 

This... is... the next time that Hyun Joong saying. They are giving me another opportunity to sing!

 

 

"I... I... I am honoured to be part of it, ma'am!" I replied.

 

 

"Congratulation. See you in practice. By the way, you can call me Teacher Mi Hwa."

 

 

"Thank you for a second opportunity, Teacher Mi Hwa!"