The Eighth Key

8 Keys

 

The last key is hidden with the last gift I gave you.  
 
 
Jieun knew exactly what Kris meant by "The last gift I have you."
 
He was referring to the box. The box sitting on her kitchen counter with 8 key holes. The box that held the secret to why Kris left. 
 
She raced to her car and sped home, ignoring all of the red lights and breaking at least 13 traffic laws in the process. It was a miracle that she made it home without a ticket, let alone alive. 
 
Slamming the front door behind her, Jieun ran into the kitchen and grabbed the large wooden box. She was surprised to find that it was very light, and she could hear something that sounded like metal sliding around inside. 
 
Jieun turned it over so that she could take a look at the bottom of the box, and sure enough there was a silver key with an 8 etched into the metal taped to the bottom. Holding her breath, Jieun peeled the tape off and held the silver key in her hand. 
 
You can do this, Jieun. It's finally time for you to figure out why Kris left.
 
Grabbing each key, she slid them into their respective key holes and turned them until she heard 8 little clicks.
 
Jieun hesitated, do I really want to do this? The answer was yes, and she slowly lifted up the lid to find a letter and a pair of  golden wedding rings. 
 
She pulled out the letter and began to read. 
 
Dear Jieun,
 
I knew you would do it. 
 
I knew you would give me a chance to explain. 
 
Jieun, I love you so much. I'm sure you hate me right now, I mean why would I tell you I love you after I broke up with you?
 
The answer is simple. I didn't break up with you because we weren't meant to be together. I broke up with you because we couldn't be together.
 
If you're reading this, it means I am dead. 
 
Kris' words swam before Jieun's eyes. If you're reading this, it means I am dead. Her legs collapsed underneath her and she fell onto her knees, clenching the letter with trembling hands. Jieun's eyes filled with years but she kept reading anyway. 
 
Remember how I was complaining about stomach pain a few months ago but I told you it went away? 
 
I lied. It got worse. 
 
I didn't want to worry you, Jieunnie. I thought I could live with the pain. 
 
It turns out that I couldn't. 
 
I went to the doctor two weeks ago. 
 
They diagnosed me with pancreatic cancer. I guess I waited too long to get it checked on because they said I only had weeks to live. At first I wanted to cry and scream and break everything I could get my hands on. 
 
But then I thought of you. 
 
You. 
 
Jieun you were the one who got me through my darkest days. You were my rock, my strength, the one I thought of when the pain was too much to bear. 
 
I love you Jieun. I wanted to see you walk down the aisle wearing a white dress, I wanted us to wear these wedding bands and I wanted to grow old with you and raise the children I was so sure we would have together.
 
I even thought of names I liked- Jongin if it was a boy and Chaerin if it was a girl. 
 
Was it cruel that I didn't tell you what was going on?
 
Yes, I suppose it was. But Jieun, I can't bear to see you cry. I don't know what I would do if I saw even just one tear spill from your beautiful eyes. 
If I told you the truth right away I knew I would see too many tears shed. 
 
I'm a coward. But...
 
I love you.
 
I just want you to realize just how much you mean to me. How much you have always meant to me. Every place I hid a key was another reason why I loved you. 
 
I wanted to spend forever by your side. I suppose that's what I am doing now, isn't it? Fate has a cruel sense of humor. 
 
I'll always be by your side, Jieun. Forever and Always. 
 
~Kris
 
Forever and Always....