The Sixth Key

8 Keys

Jieun, the sixth key is where we would fix all of our problems.

 

Jieun padded across the kitchen floor in a pair of fluffy socks, a towel around her neck. Her hair was still dripping wet from the monsoon outside, and she was grateful that she was inside her warm home. Taking a mug out of the cupboard and a packet of hot cocoa mix, Jieun quickly made a cup of hot chocolate. Blowing on the steaming liquid, she made her way back to the living room where she sank into the couch. Jieun wished that she could go outside and find the next key, but the weather outside looked rather dangerous. Rain pounded the earth and bolts of lightning streaked from the angry clouds above while thunder rumbled. It is way too nasty outside, Jieun thought. I guess that just gives me time to think about the note...

 

-------

 

Kris and Jieun were not on speaking terms. It was a little after their three month anniversary and Jieun had been feeling a little insecure about their relationship. Tons of girls were in love with Kris, and no matter how many times he told her that she was the only one for him, Jieun couldn’t help but wonder if he was lying.

 

Jieun often wondered what Kris saw in her. She was pretty, but there were many girls prettier than her at their school. She was a little smarter than the average girl, but then again there were plenty of smarter girls just waiting to pounce on her boyfriend. Jieun had no real talents to speak of, she could be shy and insensitive at times, and she was hopelessly insecure about everything.

 

That’s why when Jieun walked into her classroom one Thursday after school (She had left her textbook at her desk and she needed it to complete her homework)  only to find some girl trying to make a move on her boyfriend, she freaked out. Tears rolling down her cheeks, she ran out of classroom and made a beeline to the nearest empty bathroom, where she hid for two hours before making her way home.

 

Kris was waiting for her on her porch, of course.

 

“Jieun, it’s not what you think! I was telling her to get away.” Kris sounded really upset, although Jieun’s irrational mind didn’t care, “You now I only love you!”

 

Jieun tried to walk past him, but Kris sidestepped in front of her, blocking her way to the door.

 

“Jieun, please listen to me,” Kris pleaded.

 

Jieun didn’t bother to answer and pushed past him and into her house, locking the door behind her.

 

She continued ignoring him for several days until one of Kris’ best friends, Tao, cornered her in the hall right after school.

“Jieun. Look, I know you think Kris was cheating on you but you need to know that he would never do anything like that.” Tao sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

“But... she was prettier than me. I bet he wanted to be with her.” Jieun whispered, her eyes on the tops of Tao’s scuffed up basketball shoes.

 

“Jieun. No one is prettier than you in Kris’ mind. You guys need to make up, he is driving the whole basketball team crazy with his constant moping around.”

 

“I-I don’t know if I can. I’m not good enough for him, he deserves someone prettier and smarter and someone who is just plain  perfect.” A tear rolled down Jieun’s face.

 

“Kris doesn’t want anyone but you.”

 

Jieun sighed and after a little more begging (and some aegyo) from Tao, she decided to give Kris another chance. After making a batch of peanut butter cookies, Kris’ favorite, she texted him and told him to meet her at the old oak in front of their school. Less than 15 minutes later they were both sitting against the warm tree trunk, laughing and cuddling again.

 

“Jieun” Kris began with a serious tone. She looked up in surprise.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Whenever we have another problem, we need to come here and work things out okay?”

 

Jieun nodded and laid her head back against his chest, just happy to be back in his arms again.

 

-------

 

Jieun woke on her couch, her hair dry but a tangled mess, and a mug of lukewarm hot chocolate in her hands. I must have fallen asleep...Jieun clambered off the couch and headed back towards the kitchen where she poured the leftover cocoa down the drain and placed the now empty mug in the bottom of the sink. I will wash it out later, I’m not really in the mood to do dishes right now.

 

She glanced out the kitchen window for a second only to discover that the rain had finished its downpour  and although the sky was still dark and gloomy, a rainbow was visible in the distance.

 

Jieun grabbed a warm jacket out of the hall closet, zipping it up to her chin, and left her house. Puddles littered the sidewalk, and Jieun had a hard time keeping her shoes dry with all of the water.

 

After a few minutes of walking, and a pair of drenched shoes, Jieun found herself at the old oak tree in front of her old school. The tree was massive, much larger than Jieun remembered it being, and the leaves dripped water onto the soaked earth underneath its branches.

 

Jieun half-expected Kris to appear out of nowhere, and she was slightly disappointed when all she found was a small wooden box tucked carefully into a hole in the trunk of the tree.

 

Opening it, she found the sixth key and another note.


The seventh key is hidden where we first met